HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

30 Teams In 30 Days (Minnesota picked to finish 25th)

Old
09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I don't remember this at all. And if Kaptain Koivu needs chemistry to produce...well why don't we just lock up Mittens and Brunette for the rest of his contract. It's a severe waste of money, sure, but so is paying someone who is unable to produce on his own or without someone with whom he has "chemistry" franchise type money.

Right now we're still stuck with Bouchard's contract; might as well let Koivu get acquainted with a better winger--Havlat or Bouchard--who will likely be around a little longer.
I'm willing to put good money on Granlund being a better compliment to Koivu than Brunette and Mittens combined. Put whoever else you want on the other wing, if Granlund is on the first line wing with a fellow Finn, let alone the leader of the team, you don't need to re-up either of them.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:28 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You could say the same thing about Latendresse too.
Huh?

Latendresse and Brunette are completely different players. The only thing similar is their builds.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:48 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I'm willing to put good money on Granlund being a better compliment to Koivu than Brunette and Mittens combined. Put whoever else you want on the other wing, if Granlund is on the first line wing with a fellow Finn, let alone the leader of the team, you don't need to re-up either of them.
why? dude is a center. i've seen a lot of reports that liken him to Saku. I can see he and Koivu sharing a shift every now and again but I get the feeling he'll be anchoring his own line much as Mikko has always anchored his.

Also, if he's as intense and strong-willed as Mikko I doubt they'll play well together over the course of a season.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lats and Bruno are both slower skaters that work best around the net. Very soft hands. Both guys don't work the puck into the zone themselves but rely on a setup guy.

All the talk about lines is premature and doesn't really matter IMO...guys fit where they fit.

Bouchard and Koivu are with the team for the next 3+ seasons...Bruno and Mittens are free agents after this year. I just hope Butch can find some chemistry and be effective.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
North Metro Peewees

All offense intended....

With all offense intended to both the TSN staff and NHL.com staff neither really have a solid grasp of the NHL outside of their easiest reachable demographics.

Honestly, if you look at it TSN is all about the Canadian NHL clubs and that's what they know. This is similar to the ESPN coverage of major league baseball which doesn't extend much past Yankees and Red Sox. This is okay but often makes these outlets look strangely similar to the old Saturday Night Live skits about the football prognostications when Ditka was the best coach ever and Da Bears were the best team regardless of their won/loss record.

The only area TSN can claim any amount of expertise is in the area of the draft and that is simple due to the fact it's nearly a paid holiday in Canada.

I believe a couple of things in the NHL Western Conference for 2010-2011.

1) There are three elite teams (Vancouver, San Jose and maybe Los Angeles).
2) There are two desperately awful clubs (Edmonton and Columbus).
3) Chicago changed out there entire bottom six which means they could either repeat as cup champs or miss the playoffs completely.
4) Detroit is older; has other questions but could still make a cup run.

My look at the west goes like this:
Sure playoff teams; Detroit, San Jose, LA, Vancouver.

Likely not a playoff team even under the best circumstances:
Edmonton, Columbus, Dallas and Nashville

Contenders for the remaining four playoff spots:
Chicago, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, Phoenix, Anaheim and St. Louis.

Sure I know the Wild well; but also follow what the other teams are doing pretty closely the Wild stack up well against the other teams in contention. They have solid goaltending and defense and their forwards 1-9 are solid. To me what this club lacks to be a serious cup contender is a true sniper; so to say that means this club is 25th in the league is either disingenious or the research was done by someone who seriously lacks true research skills.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
With all offense intended to both the TSN staff and NHL.com staff neither really have a solid grasp of the NHL outside of their easiest reachable demographics.

Honestly, if you look at it TSN is all about the Canadian NHL clubs and that's what they know. This is similar to the ESPN coverage of major league baseball which doesn't extend much past Yankees and Red Sox. This is okay but often makes these outlets look strangely similar to the old Saturday Night Live skits about the football prognostications when Ditka was the best coach ever and Da Bears were the best team regardless of their won/loss record.

The only area TSN can claim any amount of expertise is in the area of the draft and that is simple due to the fact it's nearly a paid holiday in Canada.

I believe a couple of things in the NHL Western Conference for 2010-2011.

1) There are three elite teams (Vancouver, San Jose and maybe Los Angeles).
2) There are two desperately awful clubs (Edmonton and Columbus).
3) Chicago changed out there entire bottom six which means they could either repeat as cup champs or miss the playoffs completely.
4) Detroit is older; has other questions but could still make a cup run.

My look at the west goes like this:
Sure playoff teams; Detroit, San Jose, LA, Vancouver.

Likely not a playoff team even under the best circumstances:
Edmonton, Columbus, Dallas and Nashville

Contenders for the remaining four playoff spots:
Chicago, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, Phoenix, Anaheim and St. Louis.

Sure I know the Wild well; but also follow what the other teams are doing pretty closely the Wild stack up well against the other teams in contention. They have solid goaltending and defense and their forwards 1-9 are solid. To me what this club lacks to be a serious cup contender is a true sniper; so to say that means this club is 25th in the league is either disingenious or the research was done by someone who seriously lacks true research skills.

Not bad, but you can't discount Nashville dude. They've made the playoffs more than the other 4 expansion teams combined.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Oil_Magic

Send a message via MSN to Oil_Magic
New Oiler Spill: A "Wild" Post, Becasue You Asked http://t.co/wa84SM6

Oil_Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

blogger loses all credibility when he implies the wild have a defensive game.

Quote:
This time hopefully they will shed the Lemairesq defensive game and make their games worth watching.
we no longer even try to play defense--that should have been evident to anyone but a fan of the absolute worst defensive team in hockey last year...

Old
09-16-2010, 10:14 PM
PookDo

I am a Minnesotan and I grew up going to Stars games at Met Center. I've been really disappointed watching the Wild sink over the last four years and sometimes feel really bad for liking other teams.Signing Mikko Koivu to that huge contract seems like a mistake to me but I'm not a GM so I could be talking out of my behind.I will be honest I hate that new jersey from last year. It looks like a high school jersey.

It's also really hard to watch the Minnesota spoerst media obsess over very move Favre makes. Chuck Fletcher was the guy who helped rebuild Pittsburg. Look what they have done the last few years. Something doesn't seem right

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:22 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
I am a Minnesotan and I grew up going to Stars games at Met Center. I've been really disappointed watching the Wild sink over the last four years and sometimes feel really bad for liking other teams.Signing Mikko Koivu to that huge contract seems like a mistake to me but I'm not a GM so I could be talking out of my behind.I will be honest I hate that new jersey from last year. It looks like a high school jersey.

It's also really hard to watch the Minnesota spoerst media obsess over very move Favre makes. Chuck Fletcher was the guy who helped rebuild Pittsburg. Look what they have done the last few years. Something doesn't seem right
not to be contrary, but part of the reason they designed the third jersey that way (and why it was voted as the best of four possibilities by season ticket holders) is because it reminds people of the roots of our hockey tradition here in MN--high school and college. Far more people like it than don't.

As to your Fletcher comments it sounds like you aren't liking the job he's done so far. You're comparing this endeavor to the Penguins complete re-build? It isn't a fair comparison for a couple of different reasons, but even if it were, don't you think he should get more than one year before you judge him?

Don't feel bad for liking other teams (unless one of them is Vancouver); it's only natural.

Old
09-16-2010, 10:27 PM
PookDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
not to be contrary, but part of the reason they designed the third jersey that way (and why it was voted as the best of four possibilities by season ticket holders) is because it reminds people of the roots of our hockey tradition here in MN--high school and college. Far more people like it than don't.

As to your Fletcher comments it sounds like you aren't liking the job he's done so far. You're comparing this endeavor to the Penguins complete re-build? It isn't a fair comparison for a couple of different reasons, but even if it were, don't you think he should get more than one year before you judge him?

Don't feel bad for liking other teams (unless one of them is Vancouver); it's only natural.
I'm horribly inpatient what can I say.I am aware it takes time to make a team better.It just feels like the Wild are always in the re-building process

and it's the Caps

Old
09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Not bad, but you can't discount Nashville dude. They've made the playoffs more than the other 4 expansion teams combined.
Dallas might surprise too.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:35 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

They need James Neal and Matt Niskanen back and a bunch of luck.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?

Last edited by GopherState: 09-17-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Guess Dallas got that...
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:54 PM
BigT2002

Quote:

I respectfully disagree with you PookDo. While this team hasn't been highlight reel over the last 4 years, it is namely because of the inability of the front office before the current regime that gave us a bad name. This front office has made more moves that were not lateral (meaning talent for lesser talent) than DR and company did through their tenure. That is at least signs that they'll fork out the money to bring talent here. The issue is, there isn't a winning tradition for this team and without that you are not going to get the Kovy's and Martin's to wanna be in this city playing when the odds of them winning (and cashing in on incentives) is pretty much 100 to 1 in odds. Just isn't going to happen. I can assure you Modano thought long and hard about Minnesota and Michigan when he was deciding where to go, and I wouldn't doubt he elected Detroit simply to try to win the cup one more time before he does retire. Fletcher has worked cut out for him because he also doesn't have the rebuilding mode that Pittsburgh had. Remember, Pittsburgh had lottery picks (of which I think all were in the Top 5, if not 3) for at least 4 years (MAF, Staal, Crosby, Malkin). Of course they were going to get supreme young talent and get them at a huge discount because of what the rookies can only make in their RFA contracts.

And I don't know why you hate that jersey?? Its not only a huge success within our own fanbase, but is widely considered one of the most tasteful jersey's in the league.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Pittsburgh had 5 top-five picks - everyone forgets about Ryan Whitney but he was fourth or fifth in 2002.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:06 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Pittsburgh had 5 top-five picks - everyone forgets about Ryan Whitney but he was fourth or fifth in 2002.
I thought it was 5 but I couldn't be for sure on it so I didn't want to state it and be wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lottery picks do not guarantee success just like successful teams do not need lottery picks.

The Habs made the conference finals without lottery picks. The Sharks did the same thing. Detroit hasn't had a lottery pick in 20 years. Philly has had a lot of success without lottery picks, although they did have the one bad year where they got JVR, but he hasn't been a big impact guy yet.

Likewise, how many lottery picks has Florida had and still been awful? What about Atlanta? The Islanders? Columbus? Lots of bad teams stay bad.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:56 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Lottery picks do not guarantee success just like successful teams do not need lottery picks.
They got extremely lucky when generational talent for this decade was just starting to come in. Those were successive years too IIRC. Yes, it doesn't promise you success but when you have one player that is compared to Wayne, a Russian who is touted as one of the best players to come out of his country in nearly a decade, a younger brother of one of the most underrated players in the NHL, and a goalie that grew up idolizing Roy....you are going to have a very special team.

Quote:
The Habs made the conference finals without lottery picks. The Sharks did the same thing. Detroit hasn't had a lottery pick in 20 years. Philly has had a lot of success without lottery picks, although they did have the one bad year where they got JVR, but he hasn't been a big impact guy yet.
Teams like San Jose got their players through trades outside of a few of their bloomers like Seto and Pav. Detroit owes their success to tapping a resource that many people didn't GAF about and that was Sweden and Russia during a time when Canadian players were considered the creme le crop of talent. Good luck seeing Datsuyk or Zetterberg type players going that late ever again.

Quote:
Likewise, how many lottery picks has Florida had and still been awful? What about Atlanta? The Islanders? Columbus? Lots of bad teams stay bad.
Its all about scouting and tailoring their team in a certain direction. None of those teams have direction. They draft the most sought after instead of filling needs they wanted. Watch those teams play and then watch a team like Detroit or even Montreal play. Very team oriented and that is how they win games. I went to a crapton of Atlanta games and they were all over the place worse than a peewee league game. No structure as compared to those who do make the playoffs.

Old
09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
PookDo

I get that because of the lack of winning that players don't want to come here.As much as my opinions may come across as uneducated it's more about me just venting at the fact that there isn't a winning tradition in the state of hockey.Like I said I'm inpatient.I am a huge hockey fan.It was very hard to watch the Stars leave and go to Dallas and win the cup six years later.Fletcher has his work cut out for him I agree.For whatever reason Gaborik was allowed to just walk away which I still don't get and Havlat is and was not a suitable replacement

Honestly I don't care how popular that jersey is it's damn ugly.

Old
09-17-2010, 06:28 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I'm not a fan of the home jersey, but the third is just sexy.

Seriously, the only way it gets better is if this woman is wearing it.

Old
09-18-2010, 09:59 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
I get that because of the lack of winning that players don't want to come here.As much as my opinions may come across as uneducated it's more about me just venting at the fact that there isn't a winning tradition in the state of hockey.Like I said I'm inpatient.I am a huge hockey fan.It was very hard to watch the Stars leave and go to Dallas and win the cup six years later.Fletcher has his work cut out for him I agree.For whatever reason Gaborik was allowed to just walk away which I still don't get and Havlat is and was not a suitable replacement
Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion regardless if others feel it is uneducated. The issue with most people who are passionate about hockey is exactly what you described yourself as....inpatient. Gaborik was allowed to walk because by the time he came back from injury it was already too late. DR believed he was going to wise up and just take the offer we laid out for him so he didn't attempt to move him outside of Kovy for Gabby deal we hear about in October that season. You can't fault GMCF for this at all as it was already out of his hands by the time he got ahold of the team. He didn't give Gaborik an offer sheet because it was already pretty much decided through his agent that he wasn't going to sign with the team. Havlat was the best we could get in the offseason. Heatley wasn't coming here and this was long before Kovy was stating he wanted out of Atlanta. Once again, what were you expecting us to sign?? That is the thing I like to ask people who state this.

Old
09-18-2010, 12:37 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

Correct. Barry Trotz and his staff deserve immense credit with how well they get what they have to play. Really, for a franchise that can't spend that much, they draft and develop their players very very well. I think its safe to say that they will always be in the playoff mix.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
PookDo

Quote:
Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion regardless if others feel it is uneducated. The issue with most people who are passionate about hockey is exactly what you described yourself as....inpatient. Gaborik was allowed to walk because by the time he came back from injury it was already too late. DR believed he was going to wise up and just take the offer we laid out for him so he didn't attempt to move him outside of Kovy for Gabby deal we hear about in October that season. You can't fault GMCF for this at all as it was already out of his hands by the time he got ahold of the team. He didn't give Gaborik an offer sheet because it was already pretty much decided through his agent that he wasn't going to sign with the team. Havlat was the best we could get in the offseason. Heatley wasn't coming here and this was long before Kovy was stating he wanted out of Atlanta. Once again, what were you expecting us to sign?? That is the thing I like to ask people who state this.

Honestly I don't have an answer for the question of who they should have signed. So I guess like everyone else I am just stuck waiting and seeing what happens over the next however many years.

Old
09-19-2010, 10:21 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Honestly I don't have an answer for the question of who they should have signed. So I guess like everyone else I am just stuck waiting and seeing what happens over the next however many years.
At least you are honest dude. Here is my military coming out though, so take it FWIW. If you can't come up with a reasonable solution to a problem, then all you're doing is b***hing to b***h