HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Potulny to Blackhawks (one year, $500k, two-way)

Old
09-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
very good signing for the Hawks...not sure why anyone could even be upset or down about this guy for what we got him for.

I am just drooling over our 4th line of Jessiman, Taffe, and Potulny!! I love it baby! j/k

In all honesty, I was very glad to see Potulny step up and take advantage of the ice time he earned in Edmonton. It doesnt matter if they were a bottom feeder team and that he got all that ice time, it also means that he really didnt play with much talent as well.

There were games that I watched where he was the only player doing anything out there...and that was more then just a few. I am not saying Ryan is going to be a 20 goal scorer on the Hawks, but you people that think this guy is just going to play in Rockford are nuts. Potulny has the ability to make up for some of the lost production from Versteeg, and that is where I see Potulny playing...3rd line. He isnt made for a 4th line spot, and he is too good to be in Rockford.

Pisani will be on the fourth line with Dowell, and what a shutdown line that will be. I see Potulny playing with Skille and Bolland on our third line, and I have no problems with that. The Hawks have enough grinders to fill in roles, we need some more scoring depth to replace the likes of Buff, Versteeg, and Ladd. Potulny is clearly the top guy that we aquired this off season to do that. You can make a case for Stahlberg, but he has just as many if not more question marks then Potulny.

I have watched Ryan Potulny since his college days and with the Flyers..the kid flat out scores goals. He is a streaky player, but if you pair him up with just enough talent, he will put up some numbers for you. His skating has always been an issue, but who cares about that, Sopel looked like he was skating on cement the entire year yet still did his job. Potulny isnt going to be the guy blazing down the wings creating havoc, he is going to be the guy lurking around the net scooping up the garbage and that is what we need. He will score goals.

Is it possible that Potulny starts in Rockford? of course it is, but I have very little doubt that he becomes a top 9 player on this team from the start of the year or very shortly after. We are expecting a lot out of Stahlberg and Skille, and lets be honest...Potulny has proven much more then those two have at the NHL level.

Excellent signing regardless of what Ryan does. I love the depth that Bowman has brought in. Though some dont like Jeff Taffe, he brings a nice 4th line grinding game to the table with some offensive talent as well. If we do get hit with some injuries, we will have guys like Pisani, Potulny, Taffe, Bickell, and Dowell all there to fill even bigger roles if necessary.

I like the way this team is shaping up imo..
So many things wrong with this

If Potulny is in our top 9 then our team is really screwed

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 07:04 PM
5H4RK5

vCash: 500
Hawks are still one of the best at building lines 1-4 with limited cap space to work with.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:23 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Not sure how you would rank adequate, but he doesn't really backcheck at all, and when he does try it's not really that effective because he is a pretty poor skater

3rd lines are usually energy lines, shutdown guys, and guys that are good on defense...especially when you have Bolland fixed at 3C, it most likely is a shutdown line...Potulny doesn't fit at all with that line, Pisani is a much better fit in that spot

To be effective, Potulny would need time that the Hawks aren't willing to give him...plus on a 2-way it is way easier to just let him play in Rockford and help out young guys
True. Pisani is much better suited for a third or crash line than is Potulny. I was just defending the notion that he is awful defensively, which he isnt. Problem with Potulny as I see it is that he has top 6 hands but not top six feet. The guy just knows how to score. Like I said, Ive watched him and liked his game since college. I would have thought by now his skating would have improved, but I suppose not.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:26 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
True. Pisani is much better suited for a third or crash line than is Potulny. I was just defending the notion that he is awful defensively, which he isnt. Problem with Potulny as I see it is that he has top 6 hands but not top six feet. The guy just knows how to score. Like I said, Ive watched him and liked his game since college. I would have thought by now his skating would have improved, but I suppose not.
Ya, you would think he could have improved his foot speed at least...some people just don't have the stride to get the top speed, but his quickness and acceleration should be better imo

He can get 20 goals in your top 6, and probably does have top 6 scoring potential (if your team has minutes to give it to him)...but with Brouwer, Hossa, Kane, Toews, Stalberg, Sharp all ahead of him, just no way he fits anywhere...and it would be a mistake to play him with Bolland imo

All this being said, still a quality signing...cheap guy to help on the top line in Rockford and not force all the forward prospects to step into the AHL and produce on the top line

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

He's not good enough defensively to play on our shutdown line with Bolland. He's not fast enough or physical enough to play on the fourth line. We want guys on our fourth line that are energy players, that will give the other team fits with their speed and checking. I see no way that he cracks our top six unless we have a couple injuries. Those saying he will have a roster spot are insane, especially when you look at who he will be competing with for those spots. Homegrown talent that has put in their time in the AHL, taken league minimum contracts, are much better ALL AROUND players, and have earned their opportunity to play with the big club. Beach, Makarov, Skille, Dowell, Bickell, Stalberg are the guys ahead of him in the pecking order, in no specific order. The Hawks STILL have a logjam of NHL ready players at wing, even after the massive dumping of players this offseason.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
stingo

Hopefully this works out.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote