HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1990-96 Calgary Flames: most underachieving team ever?

Old
09-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
If it goes to Game 7 I don't see the Kings winning it. I am not sure why that goal was called back. I think it had to do with a whistle or whether the puck was covered up properly, just looking at the replay that seems to be the case.
Why not? They blew Game 7 at home three times in the era in question, in all probability they would have found a way to do so that time as well.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Rob Zepp

...and in 1989, imagine if Stan Smyl scores on his breakaway versus Joel Otto kicking one in a few minutes later......

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:27 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RewBicks View Post
After reading Fleury's book, it's hard not to think a general culture of boozing and excessive partying didn't contribute to this underperformance, given he talent level of those squads. I know the state of training in the early '90's wasn't like it is today, but it doesn't sound like there was a whole lot of professionalism going on in the Flames locker room during those years. I'm sure that "the life" catches up to hockey teams today as well, but Fleury makes it sound like it was pretty extreme in Calgary in the '90's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i haven't read fleury's book, but i do remember terry crisp talking about certain guys on that team's dedication to conditioning. one guy he singled out was gary roberts, which is obviously very surprising given his reputation as a fitness freak later in his career. but i assume that began when roberts had retired the first time and had to rehab like hell to come back and prolong his career.
Agreed and it's an interesting contrast to the Edmonton teams of the '80s.

That team had quite a party atmosphere as well, but it didn't seem to get in the way of winning, and once they won once they didn't lose their hunger to keep performing.

Calgary, on the other hand, had a lot of players who seemed very satisfied with their one Cup. Vernon obviously, but I also include guys like MacInnis in this - was so dominant in 1989 but equally mediocre in the playoffs in the 5 years afterward. A guy of his stature should have been so much better.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:11 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
That Sens team that lost 4 straight in the finals just looked horrendous, almost like an AHL team, probably one of the worst SC performances ever. Spezza earned his well deserved reputation right there.
They lost in 5... and I didn't include that as part of their choking phase because they pretty much steamrolled their way to the finals. They were a good team and did what only 2 teams can do every year. I hate them, but they have to get props for that.
They steamrolled through the East with an awesome forecheck on the bottom 3 lines and the #1 line destroying opposing defenses in the "New NHL". A flood of obstruction was allowed during the Finals that Ottawa hadn't seen in any of it's 3 previous series. The #1 line and the forecheck were both rendered ineffective because of it and Ottawa never countered. After some of the abuse the team had taken in those earlier series' against Toronto, they should have read and adjusted to the ref's immediately... instead of Murray whining after Game 1 and doing nothing whatsoever to take advantage of it.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Why not? They blew Game 7 at home three times in the era in question, in all probability they would have found a way to do so that time as well.
Prior to their loss in 1990 the Flames weren't the horrible chokers we would know them to be. Their curse started with Krusher's overtime goal in 1990 to eliminate them and it ended when Martin Gelinas scored the overtime winner in 2004.

You get the feeling that if the Flames dodged a bullet in overtime and went back to Calgary for Game 7 that they'd have closed the deal. They were still the Cup favourites, they had pretty much their whole 1989 team still there too. Just a feeling

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Ishdul

I think the 1999 and 2001 Ottawa teams at least overachieved greatly in the regular season and, while they still had a comparatively terrible playoff showing, were not real threats to the Stars/Devils/Avalanche/Red Wings/Flyers until 2003. The 1999 team had some really weak forward depth with Alfredsson being banged up and having the worst year of his career, Igor Kravchuk and Jason York as their #1 and #2 defensemen and Ron Tugnutt having an incredible year. The 2001 team was quite a bit better on paper but had a weak defense and Lalime in net; it would've been pretty unbelievable for them to actually beat a team like Colorado which would have had the 5 best players and at least equal depth. Talent wise they weren't any better than the Sabres or Leafs of those years.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:09 AM
vadim sharifijanov

coincidentally,

Quote:
Fleury was a member of the last Canadian team to win the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup in the same season with Calgary in 1988-89. It's his experience that while Vancouver will be coasting into the playoffs, other teams will be battle-tested.

“We finished so far ahead of the Canucks in the standings that year, but we lost Game 1 and had to go all the way to Game 7 to beat them,” he said. “Then, basically for seven or eight years after that we finished first but couldn't get out of the first round.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...898/story.html

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote