SchoolYourPool's 2010-11 Stars Team Preview

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2010, 03:11 AM
BC Ben

vCash: 500
SchoolYourPool's 2010-11 Stars Team Preview

Hey Stars' fans...

I have to say that when we sent our writer to the NHL cities in alphabetical order, he was in for a wild start as a Nucks' supporter... Anaheim, Calgary, Chicago, Colorado (and sometimes Columbus), with Detroit and Edmonton on tap - the whole division and some playoff battles in that group!

But Balls Brunswick is resilient to the end, or in this case Dallas... Take a look at the SchoolYourPool 2010-11 Stars Preview and hit us with feedback, comments, etc - we look forward to the chat.

Old
09-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
So much fail.

First of all, the team is not the Columbus Blue Jackets, no matter what subhead you stick on the story (it's apparently been up for two days like that with no one fixing it, so I took a screenshot). Second, no decision has been made on the future of Jere Lehtinen, and I believe Nieuwendyk is on the record as saying he will re-sign Lehtinen if Lehtinen chooses not to retire.

Third, the Stars average age was nowhere near 32.8 last season. I believe it was in the high 20s. Fourth, the Neal-Brassard fight happened two seasons ago, not last season, and the injury came when Brassard tried to throw a punch, not because of anything Neal landed. Fifth, general consensus is Glennie won't even sniff an NHL roster next year because of a slower development curve.

Sixth, your scouting of the forward lines sucks. You ignore the issues of who will play center (which will have a major impact on fantasy owners since, in general, centers tend to pile up assists and wingers tend to pile up goals) and right wing if Lehtinen does return and if he does not.

Seventh, your discussion of the defense ignores that Fistric will likely be a top or second pairing defenseman this year, albeit without power play time, as Crawford has stated. Eighth, it ignores Robidas' (and to a lesser extent, Skrastins') hot start/fade down the stretch routine last year. Ninth, it makes no mention of a couple AHL/minor-league guys (Lukowich, Blindenbacher) that will push for the seventh spot with Larsen and Woywitka.

Tenth, Raycroft is on a two-way contract this year (one-way next year, I believe) and is in no way platooning with Lehtonen. Lehtonen is the clear-cut starter, regardless of his injury history. Eleventh, it ignores the fact that Neal and Niskanen are as yet unsigned RFAs. Will they likely be signed by the start of the season? Of course, but from a keeper pool or early-season draft, it's a definite risk to take someone who may hold out.

Twelth, your assessment of Wandell's health shows you did little to no research. Wandell tore his ACL midway through last season. Like other ACL injuries at similar times (like, you know, Morrow last year), he is likely to start a bit slow but there is no indication he is questionable for training camp. My understanding is he is playing in the unofficial scrimmages going on now.

Thirteenth, the absolute best way to make a good impression is to come on a team's board and insult their chances by saying how boring it was to preview them.

If you're going to make predictions and write team previews, do your freaking research.

Old
09-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

As the writer of this article, I'll address you point by point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
So much fail.

First of all, the team is not the Columbus Blue Jackets, no matter what subhead you stick on the story (it's apparently been up for two days like that with no one fixing it, so I took a screenshot).
Okay the editor and myself missed that. Congratulations, but even though Dallas is the home of conspiracy, there was none here.

Quote:
Second, no decision has been made on the future of Jere Lehtinen, and I believe Nieuwendyk is on the record as saying he will re-sign Lehtinen if Lehtinen chooses not to retire.
Lehtinen isn't coming back, there's strong rumors out of Dallas from the Stars own media speculating he's going to retire.

Quote:
Third, the Stars average age was nowhere near 32.8 last season. I believe it was in the high 20s.
Yeah, I didn't add that line The average age of the Stars last year according to NHL Numbers was 27.6.

Quote:
Fourth, the Neal-Brassard fight happened two seasons ago, not last season, and the injury came when Brassard tried to throw a punch, not because of anything Neal landed.
Yeah you're right the fight was two years ago, and Neal pulled Brassard's arm out of the socket when he was rag-dolling him.

Quote:
Fifth, general consensus is Glennie won't even sniff an NHL roster next year because of a slower development curve.
This is something your own people speculated on in Dallas. But I didn't add that line... I'm noticing a trend here. No I don't think he'll be in the bottom six this year either. I think maybe nine games debut but I doubt he'll be on the Stars this year.

Quote:
Sixth, your scouting of the forward lines sucks. You ignore the issues of who will play center (which will have a major impact on fantasy owners since, in general, centers tend to pile up assists and wingers tend to pile up goals) and right wing if Lehtinen does return and if he does not.
Richards and Riberio aren't playing center in Dallas? I don't even get what this is about.

Quote:
Seventh, your discussion of the defense ignores that Fistric will likely be a top or second pairing defenseman this year, albeit without power play time, as Crawford has stated. Eighth, it ignores Robidas' (and to a lesser extent, Skrastins') hot start/fade down the stretch routine last year. Ninth, it makes no mention of a couple AHL/minor-league guys (Lukowich, Blindenbacher) that will push for the seventh spot with Larsen and Woywitka.
I never said they couldn't move up. Did you not notice the lines were opening day projections and the writing was meant as an overview to introduce people who have no concept of the Stars to who each player is? What am I going to do, write 100,000 words on a game by game analysis of each player? And you think Lukowich or Blinderbacher are going to play significant roles on the Stars this year?

Quote:
Tenth, Raycroft is on a two-way contract this year (one-way next year, I believe) and is in no way platooning with Lehtonen. Lehtonen is the clear-cut starter, regardless of his injury history. Eleventh, it ignores the fact that Neal and Niskanen are as yet unsigned RFAs. Will they likely be signed by the start of the season? Of course, but from a keeper pool or early-season draft, it's a definite risk to take someone who may hold out.
You think Lehtonen is staying healthy for more than 40-50 games of professional hockey? That's incredibly optimistic. Your points aren't even spaced out or coherent anymore.

Quote:
Twelth, your assessment of Wandell's health shows you did little to no research. Wandell tore his ACL midway through last season. Like other ACL injuries at similar times (like, you know, Morrow last year), he is likely to start a bit slow but there is no indication he is questionable for training camp. My understanding is he is playing in the unofficial scrimmages going on now.
Wandell is still listed as questionable for the start of training camp according to official media sources. I'm sorry I went with official sources and didn't consult you or your sources before the writing of this article. You'll notice he's on the opening night roster as media sources speculate he should return by then.

Last edited by Balls Mahoney: 09-09-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old
09-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Kritter471

If there's one thing sports fans have learned in the past few years, it's that you can't believe a player is actually retiring even if he says so. Lehtinen has said there is no decision made, Nieuwendyk has indicated he would sign him if he returns. That is not Nieuwendyk cleaning him out. He could just as easily be back. This is where the Lehtinen situation is: http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...s-he-is-n.html

Otherwise, the rest of that idea (getting rid of Modano, Turco and Lehtinen because of age) is simplistic at best and wrong at worst. Turco was let go because he sucked the past two years, Lehtinen hasn't been let go at all and Modano plays a position where there's a logjam of players who are, quite frankly, better than he is at this point in their respective careers.

That leads directly to the second point. There's a logjam at top-two center with Richards, Ribeiro and Benn. Benn spent a good chunk of last year as a center, a position the organization seems to be high on him learning. One of the biggest reasons Ribeiro was shopped over the summer was because they believed his roll could be filled by Benn. With Ribeiro remaining on the team, there are a ton of questions about who will play where. Do they stick with Benn at third line center and go Ott on the 2nd-line-RW part time, like he did for a chunk last year, because of his raise? Wandell is a prototypical third-line center and has been skating for a while, so he adds to the confusion. You presented this as a fantasy-oriented look at the Stars, where center versus wing can be a key distinction, so it's a huge glaring hole to just miss all that (just like it is to not even give passing mention to two notable RFAs not signed).

A very easy look at the DMN blog reveals this about Wandell: "His recovery from knee surgery is going great, and he's expected to be at full speed when he comes to training camp." There's nothing questionable for camp about that. The ESPN Stars blog mentioned him among Swedish Stars that have been taking part in the unofficial scrimmages. That tells me whoever wrote that section read an injury report and copied it without actually researching or even doing a cursory Google search.

Snark all you want about Lehtonen's health, but that's the Stars plan right now. Platooning him with Raycroft isn't even on their radar.

Look, I get that you probably don't get paid for this. But that's my response to it as a Stars fan - it was shallow, wrong in several key places and written like someone glanced at a stat sheet and wrote it strictly off of that - very lazy and uninformed. Heck, a fan with no background can be better informed about the Stars by looking at last year's roster versus this year's roster and stats alone. At least those are all correct.

I don't know if you expected everyone to just accept all the problems with this article or not, but if you're going to present it as some sort of authoritative overview, then you've got to either put in more work to avoid the stupid mistakes or expect to hear about them.

Last edited by Kritter471: 09-09-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old
09-09-2010, 06:04 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

So what are your arguments? I'm getting a lot of emotion here but I'm confused.

Google "Jere Lehtinen Retirement" there's literally dozens of articles including NHL and Stars sources speculating that he's done.

Yeah I'm going to depend on blogs over CBS Sportsline and THN on injury updates.

You think Benn is going to play center over Riberio or Richards? I kind of stopped reading your rambling on this one because it was beginning to get ridiculous.

I know that's the Stars' plan now, how did that work for the Thrashers for the last several years? I'm not a fiction writer, I don't care what the Stars' imagine, pretend, or hope is going to happen, I'm just saying what the probable reality is going to be. You think the Stars' are investing heavily in Lehtonen when they just drafted Campbell 11th overall?

Look, I get you have nothing better to do than write several paragraphs complaining about hockey articles and trying to push your opinions as fact in some kind of bizarre superiority complex but I honestly don't care. You're right on some of the formatting mistakes but you have absolutely no substance in your opinion of the hockey analysis.

And I'm here to stand up to any criticisms, however I'm telling you that yours are largely ridiculous.

Last edited by Balls Mahoney: 09-09-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old
09-09-2010, 06:47 AM
IniNew

I never understand how these "writers" always get the Stars so wrong. Once more, how they think after a day or so of research they know more than fans that follow the team 24/7. And even once more, that it's O.K. to come ask for opinions on the article and then slam someone who is clearly more inline with the thinking the Stars have for correcting their obvious errors.

Old
09-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

What exactly are the complaints? I will literally hack into the SYP servers breaking several federal laws if you can explain to me exactly where I screwed up.

I'll tell you straight up, the sub-title was changed. I took the Glennie line out because I didn't write it and I don't know why it was added. But seriously tell me where the hockey analysis is wrong.

I'll tell you that you're not going to convince me that Benn is playing center over Riberio or Richards nor is Lehtonen likely to get anymore than 40-50 games this season.

Hey listen, even though we've had some cute exchanges. I'm interested in getting these previews as correct as possible since we have such a big readership. How many times have you read a fail THN guide or Puck Daddy or some other lame source that had epic fail? If we epically failed, we'll make it only a minimal fail if you can tell us where we wrong.

Last edited by Balls Mahoney: 09-09-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old
09-09-2010, 07:15 AM
IniNew

Not once did Kritter ever say Benn is going to be playing center over either of those players. He said, with the organization pushing him at center they shopped Ribero around in the off season. He's still here and this creates a log jam. There is a possibility that Benn is playing 3rd line center, and theres a possibility that he plays wing on the 2nd line. We don't know yet. Lehtonen is a starting goalie, he's not platooning with anyone. Raycroft is a back up. Wandell is not questionable for training camp. He is expected to go in full speed. He's recovered from a torn ACL in the other knee and knows what it takes to get back up to speed.

These are facts for the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney
Look, I get you have nothing better to do than write several paragraphs complaining about hockey articles and trying to push your opinions as fact in some kind of bizarre superiority complex but I honestly don't care.
Pot 'n kettle.

Old
09-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

So from a fantasy perspective Riberio is still now and for the foreseeable future the Stars second line center? Again the problem is what? That I said Riberio is the Stars second line center?

What's your definition of platooning for a goalie? Mine is playing 35+ games which is a strong possibility for Raycroft this season. Lehtonen has averaged only 36 games a year and hasn't played more than 46 in three years because of injury woes. But yeah he's going to play 70 in Dallas this year.

I only looked at two sources on the Wandell injury but you're right and it will be changed.

Old
09-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Dirty Kari

As for Benn...um.... he did last season. He played over Ribeiro on the 2nd line for large parts of the season. Ribeiro was put on the 3rd/4th quite often. Benn looked far better playing as an out of position center than an out of position right winger. Stars management wants Benn at center. Considering they put Ribeiro on the market because of this I would think its a pretty big deal.

Not sure why you are dismissing the blogs Kritter mentioned. ESPN Dallas is run by Mark Stepneski who ran Andrews Stars Page until the site migrated over to ESPN. Him and Mike Heika (who runs the DMN Stars blog) are the two biggest/best Stars beat writers in DFW. The are going to have far more in depth coverage than CBS or THN.

Honestly I don't really see anything glaringly wrong with the article. As a quick overview its good but as a piece of analysis its lacking. Its not so much that you got a lot wrong its that you missed a lot of info. The vast majority of the article is just a regurgitation of the previous season's stats and on what line that player is going to play that season. I don't think the analysis is bad I just don't think there really is all that much analysis. If the article is just an overview then it does its job for the most part.

As far important things you may want to add. Wandell has been skating for a while and looks to be ready for camp. As far as goalies are concerned Lehtonen and Raycroft are by no means going to be a tandem. I understand you think he is going to be injured and that is a definite possibility but addressing the two as a tandem is not accurate. Lehtonen is the undisputed #1. There is also the (I don't blame you for missing this) reality that Raycroft is signed to a two way deal for this season's portion of his two year deal. This was done with the intention of giving Krahn a shot at the backup job if he can grab it in camp. Krahn did an excellent job in Austin last season but injuries make him an unreliable option..hence the Raycroft signing. Something small but I think its notable considering its possible, if unlikely, that Krahn is the backup with Raycroft in Austin.

The organization seems like its going to give Ott a bigger role as well. Burish was brought in to take some of the pressure off Ott and allow him to be less of an agitator and more of an offensive presence. Not to say he won't be a **** as usual but he is going to be given more PP time and might take the RW spot alongside Ribeiro if Benn is going to play center. Ott's PP statistics were very good last season and he is a great faceoff man (on a team lacking in this category as it is, with Modano gone the Stars will need Ott even more in the faceoff circle). His point totals stand a good chance of going up.

Last edited by Dirty Kari: 09-09-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old
09-09-2010, 07:28 AM
IniNew

It's not a question of RIBERO. It's a question of BENN. He could be playing 3rd line CENTER or 2nd line WINGER. We don't know yet.

Old
09-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
As for Benn...um.... he did last season. He played over Ribeiro on the 2nd line for large parts of the season. Ribeiro was put on the 3rd/4th quite often. Benn looked far better playing as an out of position center than an out of position right winger. Stars management wants Benn at center. Considering they put Ribeiro on the market because of this I would think its a pretty big deal.

Not sure why you are dismissing the blogs Kritter mentioned. ESPN Dallas is run by Mark Stepneski who ran Andrews Stars Page until the site migrated over to ESPN. Him and Mike Heika (who runs the DMN Stars blog) are the two biggest/best Stars beat writers in DFW. The are going to have far more in depth coverage than CBS or THN.

Honestly I don't really see anything glaringly wrong with the article. As a quick overview its good but as a piece of analysis its lacking. Its not so much that you got a lot wrong its that you missed a lot of info. The vast majority of the article is just a regurgitation of the previous season's stats and on what line that player is going to play that season. I don't think the analysis is bad I just don't think there really is all that much analysis. If the article is just an overview then it does its job for the most part.

As far important things you may want to add. Wandell has been skating for a while and looks to be ready for camp. As far as goalies are concerned Lehtonen and Raycroft are by no means going to be a tandem. I understand you think he is going to be injured and that is a definite possibility but addressing the two as a tandem is not accurate. Lehtonen is the undisputed #1. There is also the (I don't blame you for missing this) reality that Raycroft is signed to a two way deal for this season's portion of his two year deal. This was done with the intention of giving Krahn a shot at the backup job if he can grab it in camp. Krahn did an excellent job in Austin last season but injuries make him an unreliable option..hence the Raycroft signing. Something small but I think its notable considering its possible, if unlikely, that Krahn is the backup with Raycroft in Austin.

The organization seems like its going to give Ott a bigger role as well. Burish was brought in to take some of the pressure off Ott and allow him to be less of an agitator and more of an offensive presence. Not to say he won't be a **** as usual but he is going to be given more PP time and might take the RW spot alongside Ribeiro if Benn is going to play center. Ott's PP statistics were very good last season and he is a great faceoff man. His point totals stand a good chance of going up.
Thank you for your criticisms and insight man.

From watching Raycroft quite a bit last season and through his career I honestly would be really surprised not to see him get that job. Raycroft legitimately has the talent to be a 1B in this league and I think you guys are going to be surprised by just how good it is. However that's just my opinion.

And I added a line about Riberio and Benn just to satisfy you people.

Old
09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Sutherby scored 9 points last year, not 8.

I also don't understand the line about Fistric facing challenges with his skating. His skating is average at worst. He's more mobile than a guy like Grossman.

Last edited by piqued: 09-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old
09-09-2010, 11:05 AM
BC Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Thirteenth, the absolute best way to make a good impression is to come on a team's board and insult their chances by saying how boring it was to preview them.

I believe Balls has gotten to all your inane complaints, so I will attend to this one... I said that our writer has had to test the opposition waters to start his trek in the NHL landscape - this included all division rivals AND teams the Nucks have had battles recently with in the post-season. That sounds like the Stars to me...

Never did I say, nor insinuate that the preview process was boring.

Interesting to read your thirteenth point and realise that you made up a whole bunch of context out of text. Crazy much?

Old
09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Fly Like a C5

How is Barch not listed in the opening night line up? This is a travesty!

Old
09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Thank you for your criticisms and insight man.
Welcome to the Stars fan board...

BTW, I love Morrow, but there is no way he's one of the game's best 2-way players, nor did Eriksson just break out last year with 71pts considering he notched 36 the season prior. I pray Raycroft takes no more than 20 starts.

25th-30th? I wish. I'm not overly optimistic, but I just can't imagine us being that bad. The young players are a year more experienced, and we lost Turco's lack luster ability and Modano's lack luster effort. Not seeing where you are drawing the prediction from considering how garbage our goaltending and luck has been the past couple seasons?

Old
09-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

Thanks man

I think you're going to be surprised how much the tune stays the same in Dallas with Crawford coaching and how much Turco excels in Chicago.

Morrow played brilliantly on Canada's checking line in the Olympics and I thought was always considered one of the best. But I guess we'll agree to disagree since it's subjective title.

You think this team is going deep with this defense and Andrew Raycroft playing 35-40+ games?

But these are all just my opinions.

And there's nothing but love here. I apologize for getting surly, I just thought that chick was crazy. But I'm open to any criticism. Main reason I'm writing these articles from a selfish standpoint is to familiarize myself with each team before my leagues start.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Skrastins... premier shutdown guy?

I threw up a little in my mouth there, man.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Thanks man

I think you're going to be surprised how much the tune stays the same in Dallas with Crawford coaching and how much Turco excels in Chicago.

Morrow played brilliantly on Canada's checking line in the Olympics and I thought was always considered one of the best. But I guess we'll agree to disagree since it's subjective title.

You think this team is going deep with this defense and Andrew Raycroft playing 35-40+ games?

But these are all just my opinions.

And there's nothing but love here. I apologize for getting surly, I just thought that chick was crazy. But I'm open to any criticism. Main reason I'm writing these articles from a selfish standpoint is to familiarize myself with each team before my leagues start.
I think you might be surprised at how much better Kari Lehtonen is at stopping pucks than Marty Turco is. Maybe Turco will excel with the 'great wall' in front of him? Don't really care, but wish him luck...I guess.

Morrow was terrific at the Olympics, but let's face it, it was all about the punishing forecheck. I really don't remember him disrupting the play going the other way. Sure he was playing inspired with 30 million hometown fans watching his every move. I'd skate my bag off too to get back into my own zone with the play going the other way. My point is he's not one of the games best two way players, wingers, nor is he a liability.

By saying, 'I'm not overly optimistic', you took that as going deep. Come on. The D needs work, but really, can they regress anymore than last season? Now Raycroft is playing 35-40? I'm worried when I think of 20.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:06 PM
BC Ben

Alright - it seems the temperature has simmered down a little and we have evolved to polite give and take...

I'd like to start off by saying that I believe in Kari Lehtonen, but if he can't find consistency on the ice this season (both in health and performance), he would fall into an abyss of players with tremendous potential who failed to hit his ceiling (or even stay in the room).

The D in Big D seems to have the parts, but it would need to have everyone hitting their stride at the same time. I can't see that happening and if even one of the younger defenders falls short, this blue line may have some troubles containing the gifted and stronger players in the West.

The forward group is an attractive one, and I feel Morrow is going to return to a 60+ point plateau... at least my fantasy investment in him forces me to believe in that! Seriously though... Richards, Ribeiro, Benn, Eriksson - these are tremendous players who give the team an opportunity to win every night.

But then there is Marc Crawford, and the tent starts to collapse...

I can't say that I like the Stars - they were a nemesis team for a while there and the pain of some of those series' still stings.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
vofty

There are so many things wrong in this thread I just don't really know where to start. In the opening remarks it was stated that you welcomed feedback but continue to berate anyone who doesn't agree with you? How does that work? It is clear that you don't know much about the Stars just from what I've read you write in this thread, let alone anything from the article.

It is clear you have your biases as a Canucks fan big on Raycroft, down on Crawford, we got it. I'll address yet again as others have the Raycroft issue. You may not believe that Lehtonen will play a healthy season, heck I'm sure that most of us aren't really holding our breath on that, but the fact of the matter is now, for better or worse, management is going forward with Lehtonen as the clear cut #1, they just signed the guy to $3 million a year. Raycroft was given a 2 way contract for the precise reason of possibly rewarding Krahn. I understand Canucks fans love Raycroft and he played very well for you guys, and I've certainly got nothing against the guy but he wasn't brought in on a 2-way contract to be a "tandem" guy. He was given the 2-way contract because it is now or never time for Krahn, he is finally going to get his shot to crack the NHL lineup. Even if Krahn did land the backup job ahead of Raycroft it isn't hard to believe that Raycroft would still see time in goal considering it appears both of the goalies who would be ahead of him are made of glass. At no point in time has anyone here ever said that Raycroft would see 35-40 starts. He won't. If Lehtonen went down into the season I could see a true tandem of Raycroft and Krahn but even still Raycroft wouldn't see 40 starts. But aside from that matter the Stars have been diligent with Lehtonen this offseason and he has been working out regularly with a trainer, which apparently never happened while he was in Atlanta. History certainly isn't in Lehtonen's corner but this hasn't exactly been like his other offseasons in Atlanta.

No one here is a huge Crawford fan but Tippett was certainly no better with this group either. At least Crawford plays the kids which is something Tippett would only do when his hand was forced.

Did you care to watch any of Morrow other than the Olympics? Cause if you had you would have most certainly noticed how he over achieved at the Olympics and completely disappeared upon returning to the Stars. Yes he is still getting his legs back from the ACL issue and I do expect him to have a better season, but the point is you cannot borrow a few weeks and base an opinion on the player from that, Morrow elevates his game when it is important, look at the 07-08 playoff run for proof of that. But don't expect him to play that way the entire season cause he won't.

You may believe that Lehtinen will retire, but the most reputable Dallas Stars sources are saying there is no decision, and if he comes back there will be a spot for him. And you may not like taking anything from bloggers but Heika from the Dallas Morning News and Mark from ESPN Dallas are as reputable as it gets when reporting anything Stars. Now Lehtinen certainly isn't fantasy fodder at this point in his career, but I can see a situation (*cough* last years Stars league *cough*) where the league is 20 teams deep and he might get picked up.

No one around this board is overly optimistic about this coming season, at very best they could sneak into a playoff spot and at worst things could get very ugly. So much of it hinges around Lehtonen and Richards and their ability to stay healthy. If they both go down I'd say the Stars are a clear cut lottery team, but as it stands now the offense alone will keep them out of the basement, not really in playoff contention per se but in no man's land like they were this year. You may not agree with Kritter, but she is a very knowledgable Stars fan and she is right.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:35 PM
DallasSports

Was this article written from a fantasy hockey perspective or was it supposed to be more of a TSN-like season preview (or both)?

Old
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
BC Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
There are so many things wrong in this thread I just don't really know where to start. In the opening remarks it was stated that you welcomed feedback but continue to berate anyone who doesn't agree with you? How does that work? It is clear that you don't know much about the Stars just from what I've read you write in this thread, let alone anything from the article.

It is clear you have your biases as a Canucks fan big on Raycroft, down on Crawford, we got it. I'll address yet again as others have the Raycroft issue. You may not believe that Lehtonen will play a healthy season, heck I'm sure that most of us aren't really holding our breath on that, but the fact of the matter is now, for better or worse, management is going forward with Lehtonen as the clear cut #1, they just signed the guy to $3 million a year. Raycroft was given a 2 way contract for the precise reason of possibly rewarding Krahn. I understand Canucks fans love Raycroft and he played very well for you guys, and I've certainly got nothing against the guy but he wasn't brought in on a 2-way contract to be a "tandem" guy. He was given the 2-way contract because it is now or never time for Krahn, he is finally going to get his shot to crack the NHL lineup. Even if Krahn did land the backup job ahead of Raycroft it isn't hard to believe that Raycroft would still see time in goal considering it appears both of the goalies who would be ahead of him are made of glass. At no point in time has anyone here ever said that Raycroft would see 35-40 starts. He won't. If Lehtonen went down into the season I could see a true tandem of Raycroft and Krahn but even still Raycroft wouldn't see 40 starts. But aside from that matter the Stars have been diligent with Lehtonen this offseason and he has been working out regularly with a trainer, which apparently never happened while he was in Atlanta. History certainly isn't in Lehtonen's corner but this hasn't exactly been like his other offseasons in Atlanta.

No one here is a huge Crawford fan but Tippett was certainly no better with this group either. At least Crawford plays the kids which is something Tippett would only do when his hand was forced.

Did you care to watch any of Morrow other than the Olympics? Cause if you had you would have most certainly noticed how he over achieved at the Olympics and completely disappeared upon returning to the Stars. Yes he is still getting his legs back from the ACL issue and I do expect him to have a better season, but the point is you cannot borrow a few weeks and base an opinion on the player from that, Morrow elevates his game when it is important, look at the 07-08 playoff run for proof of that. But don't expect him to play that way the entire season cause he won't.

You may believe that Lehtinen will retire, but the most reputable Dallas Stars sources are saying there is no decision, and if he comes back there will be a spot for him. And you may not like taking anything from bloggers but Heika from the Dallas Morning News and Mark from ESPN Dallas are as reputable as it gets when reporting anything Stars. Now Lehtinen certainly isn't fantasy fodder at this point in his career, but I can see a situation (*cough* last years Stars league *cough*) where the league is 20 teams deep and he might get picked up.

No one around this board is overly optimistic about this coming season, at very best they could sneak into a playoff spot and at worst things could get very ugly. So much of it hinges around Lehtonen and Richards and their ability to stay healthy. If they both go down I'd say the Stars are a clear cut lottery team, but as it stands now the offense alone will keep them out of the basement, not really in playoff contention per se but in no man's land like they were this year. You may not agree with Kritter, but she is a very knowledgable Stars fan and she is right.

We defended our opinion, to answer your first thought...

Then your diatribe simply posts a lot of words, but doesn't say anything. We got into some debates in the other forums, but no one has been as vigilant at burning us than the Dallas fanbase.

I watch hundreds of games a season, have season tickets to the Nucks, but will also travel to watch other games (Phoenix is a great destination for this). I have seen Dallas live at least half a dozen times in the past year, which may not be nearly as much as some of the posters here, but more than most (and I am not counting the tv watching in this number).

But some of you are nitpicking and taking things out of context - I appreciate you reading the finer details, and setting us straight on some of it... But sometimes, what is written is actually what was meant.

Lottery team? Possibly.

Old
09-09-2010, 02:18 PM
txomisc

wow someone wrote up an article (admittedly its not the best ive read and has some mistakes) and we go into all out assault mode. Our panties are in such bunches.

Old
09-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Kritter471

You also continue to defend things that are clearly not true. Defending those as fact (the Lehtinen issue, the Benn issue, the Lehtonen issue, the Wandell issue) makes you come off as ill-informed, particularly combined with the already acknowledged number of factual errors.

If I were going to write about the Canucks, I would damn straight use the Vancouver-based media as my sources over TSN and CBS Sportsline, particularly for any off-season stuff that the national outlets really don't care about. Only using national stuff is, again, lazy.

I haven't read your other stories (and am not going to), so maybe you guys did better jobs there are therefore aren't hearing as many complaints. But your Dallas preview was flat out wrong in many place, and even funny, snarky comments like the Ribeiro Passion of the Christ thing can't save it from being pretty worthlesss overall.

tx - if it were presented as a fanboi blog, I wouldn't care. But they're trying to present it as a semi-professional piece of writing that's worth our times as Stars fans. If they want to pretend to be sportswriters, then they can deal with criticism like sportswriters.

Closed Thread