HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Center Ice question

Old
09-17-2010, 05:59 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
NHL Center Ice question

Thinking about buying again this year, despite the egregious price of $170 bucks or so. I just switched from Comcass to DirecTv. Is the picture quality better, and are any of the Flyers feeds presented in HD on DirecTv Center Ice?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:13 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I only get the Flyers feed maybe a dozen times per year on CI. I love having it but you WILL get sick of Doc, Rick J., ****ing Jack Edwards, Smegmawald, etc.

Generally there are SD and HD options for each game and I do love the quality of the HD broadcasts.

Edit: most games give you four options, so you can choose which announcer crew you want to hear. If Comcast and DTv play nice we might get that option as well.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:35 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Thinking about buying again this year, despite the egregious price of $170 bucks or so. I just switched from Comcass to DirecTv. Is the picture quality better, and are any of the Flyers feeds presented in HD on DirecTv Center Ice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I only get the Flyers feed maybe a dozen times per year on CI. I love having it but you WILL get sick of Doc, Rick J., ****ing Jack Edwards, Smegmawald, etc.

Generally there are SD and HD options for each game and I do love the quality of the HD broadcasts.

Edit: most games give you four options, so you can choose which announcer crew you want to hear. If Comcast and DTv play nice we might get that option as well.
I love Doc. In my 3 years of experience with CI, I've found he's the least biased announcer, even better than Jim Jackson, IMHO.

As for games, there were definitely more than 12, closer to 20 or 25 where they had the Flyers feed. Comcast in Philly always gives them issues, but last year was a huge increase in CSN games on CI (up from like, 3). And with the recent "loop hole" things passed by the FCC, I'd expect more Flyers feeds this year. But last year they definitely made it better in having both team's feeds for a game, especially on nights when there are like 5 total games going on (they have 14 channels assigned total, do the math).

As for HD, I believe Direct TV has nearly every game in HD, correct me if I'm wrong. Comcast has ZERO, at least last year they did. Every other provider had 1 HD channel, and would broadcast 1 or 2 games per night in HD. I have FIOS, and when I checked earlier I think there were 2 HD channels (have to check when I get home). Mind you this is from experience from 4 different providers in 4 years, including this year (Optimum, Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon FIOS, in that order).

Either way, if you just like watching hockey and want to put on good matchups around the league, even if you are in the Philly broadcast area, Center Ice is definitely worth the $171.80 (price jumped up a tad from last year too, I think it was $160).

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:20 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Eh, it's not that Doc sucks...it's that he gets around so much. Have to hear him for every game against NJ , he's the #1 at Vs. and then there's the playoffs. Would rather hear JJ during the season, given the option.

And on that note--it may be a regional thing since I'm on the west coast, but there is no way in hell I got the Philly feed 25 times last year. It was maybe a dozen games for me and that's being optimistic.

It's a minor gripe though, I've gotten CI for 7 or 8 years now and love being able to watch every Flyers game. OP made the right choice.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 10:00 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Eh, it's not that Doc sucks...it's that he gets around so much. Have to hear him for every game against NJ , he's the #1 at Vs. and then there's the playoffs. Would rather hear JJ during the season, given the option.

And on that note--it may be a regional thing since I'm on the west coast, but there is no way in hell I got the Philly feed 25 times last year. It was maybe a dozen games for me and that's being optimistic.

It's a minor gripe though, I've gotten CI for 7 or 8 years now and love being able to watch every Flyers game. OP made the right choice.
It may be regional then. Plus I know some Cable providers use "IN Demand" to get it, while others use other services (not sure what DirecTV uses). But I would much rather listen to Doc then the Hurriances, Bruins, Penguins, Sabres (Rick Jeannerette), and a few others out there. Hurricanes especially is just atrocious.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote