HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

37th Obsequious Banter Thread: RICO Statue

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Superman33

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

I could do that in their level. What subject are you teaching?

Oh no, I agree. I mean there is teachers out there who hate kids but that's another can of soup. Not to mention some teachers are very old school for today's kids. It just doesn't seem to click like it used to. I'd find teaching with technology may help. Then again I know very little compared to teachers in the field.

I teach 7th grade social studies. I was originally elementary ed k-6, after I graduated I took the praxis tests to add on all four middle school subject areas 7-9. Ipsofacto I can teach any core subject area from k-9.

Most of the entire community where I live is down on the teachers now too. Some of the points they make are right, others are just completely ridiculous. They are right that there are a lot of older teachers who can't keep up with kids or the newer technologies. They are making huge bucks in my district (over double what I make in my 2nd year) and can't do half the stuff I do.

My district gives each grade level 2 projectors, with 10 teachers total per grade level. I bought my own this summer instead. I use it everyday to put the objectives for the day, the homework for that night, and the standards we are working on. I put up the directions for the projects we are working on so they can always see them. I use power points/video clips about what we are learning about two to three times a week. I am one of three people in my building that knows how to work our grading/attendance system and was asked to present how to do it to all of the other middle school teachers in the district on our workshop day in November. I was asked more questions from teachers about how to print their grades today than students asked me to re-explain the June/December solstices.

So yeah people should be pissed that there are older teachers basically stealing money, but there are a lot of younger teachers like me putting in the time and effort to teach kids...and we don't want to be making 50k a year. I'll even take 75k a year, which is halfway between the older teachers and my current salary. And if I have to defend one more time that I only work 9 months a year so my job is "part time" I'll freak. I am in the building at 7:30 and I didn't leave until 5 today. I work through any "off" periods I get and still do lessons, directions, and grades at home on week nights and weekends.

I think being a teacher is the greatest thing, I am always happy when we get paid because I don't even think about it being a job, but people complaining about teachers being glorified baby sitters really pisses me off. If I was, and I have done the math...25 kids for 6 hours a day, 180 days, at 10 bucks a kid/hour and I would be raking in 270k a year. I'll take it.

Old
09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
I teach 7th grade social studies. I was originally elementary ed k-6, after I graduated I took the praxis tests to add on all four middle school subject areas 7-9. Ipsofacto I can teach any core subject area from k-9.

Most of the entire community where I live is down on the teachers now too. Some of the points they make are right, others are just completely ridiculous. They are right that there are a lot of older teachers who can't keep up with kids or the newer technologies. They are making huge bucks in my district (over double what I make in my 2nd year) and can't do half the stuff I do.

My district gives each grade level 2 projectors, with 10 teachers total per grade level. I bought my own this summer instead. I use it everyday to put the objectives for the day, the homework for that night, and the standards we are working on. I put up the directions for the projects we are working on so they can always see them. I use power points/video clips about what we are learning about two to three times a week. I am one of three people in my building that knows how to work our grading/attendance system and was asked to present how to do it to all of the other middle school teachers in the district on our workshop day in November. I was asked more questions from teachers about how to print their grades today than students asked me to re-explain the June/December solstices.

So yeah people should be pissed that there are older teachers basically stealing money, but there are a lot of younger teachers like me putting in the time and effort to teach kids...and we don't want to be making 50k a year. I'll even take 75k a year, which is halfway between the older teachers and my current salary. And if I have to defend one more time that I only work 9 months a year so my job is "part time" I'll freak. I am in the building at 7:30 and I didn't leave until 5 today. I work through any "off" periods I get and still do lessons, directions, and grades at home on week nights and weekends.

I think being a teacher is the greatest thing, I am always happy when we get paid because I don't even think about it being a job, but people complaining about teachers being glorified baby sitters really pisses me off. If I was, and I have done the math...25 kids for 6 hours a day, 180 days, at 10 bucks a kid/hour and I would be raking in 270k a year. I'll take it.
That's what I would like to teach but Social Studies I hear is very hard to get a job into. I would even think about teaching English, but I'm going to stick to History/Social Studies.

I know how hard teachers work. They are always after school doing things, not to mention when they go home they do more things. I have teachers in my family I've seen it.

I agree about the older teachers not being able to keep up with the times. It's sad to think about but it's the truth. I hope I don't get like that at their age. I try not to think about the money I know I'm not gonna make a lot, but whatever. I'll be happy doing what I do. I'd like to become a professor one day, but I hear being a professor sucks.

Old
09-22-2010, 07:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
poke her with a stick, make sure she has vitals.
I'd visit if I could, but I don't know when she's home (not at class or out somewhere) and I'm sure her parents (she still lives with her parents) wouldn't like it too much if I just showed up out of nowhere. I also understand that her studies come first, so...

Old
09-22-2010, 07:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2273
Maybe she can be signed to the taxi squad as a placekicker:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/spor...l.html?taf=bos

Quote:
BOSTON -- The wife of a former New England Patriots football player was arrested Tuesday and charged with domestic assault.

Christian Fauria, 39, suffered a bruised shin and scratches on his face and chest after he was allegedly attacked by his 37-year-old wife Rhonda Fauria, according to the Sun Chronicle.

Old
09-22-2010, 08:44 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post

My dad teaches in the city, routinely takes the 6 AM train in and doesn't get home till 5 or 6 PM and then he has grading/lesson plans to do.

I mean, most teachers work a lot more for a lot less than the people who like to complain about them.

Just drives me crazy, not to get too personal, but my sister is a really smart, gifted person who decided to go into teaching because she's genuinely motivated and wants to help kids. I just feel bad for her cause she's a great kid (makes me look like a ****ing ogre tbh) and she's going to take **** all her life because instead of being like me and chasing the law career for the money, she's actually trying to give back to the community.

Old
09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
My dad teaches in the city, routinely takes the 6 AM train in and doesn't get home till 5 or 6 PM and then he has grading/lesson plans to do.

I mean, most teachers work a lot more for a lot less than the people who like to complain about them.

Just drives me crazy, not to get too personal, but my sister is a really smart, gifted person who decided to go into teaching because she's genuinely motivated and wants to help kids. I just feel bad for her cause she's a great kid (makes me look like a ****ing ogre tbh) and she's going to take **** all her life because instead of being like me and chasing the law career for the money, she's actually trying to give back to the community.

You can always chase the law career and still give back to the community.

Old
09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:

Lawyer eh?

If she wants to do it, good for her. Is she a teacher already? I've read somewhere that the first years years are the hardest. That will tell you if she is going to stick with it. Not that I know you don't want her to fail, but you get what I'm saying.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
That's what I would like to teach but Social Studies I hear is very hard to get a job into. I would even think about teaching English, but I'm going to stick to History/Social Studies.

I know how hard teachers work. They are always after school doing things, not to mention when they go home they do more things. I have teachers in my family I've seen it.

I agree about the older teachers not being able to keep up with the times. It's sad to think about but it's the truth. I hope I don't get like that at their age. I try not to think about the money I know I'm not gonna make a lot, but whatever. I'll be happy doing what I do. I'd like to become a professor one day, but I hear being a professor sucks.
My wife (reading with me) is a teacher (high school history). She says if you're a minority and/or coach, you're in. That's the "market" right now.

Old
09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
My wife (reading with me) is a teacher (high school history). She says if you're a minority and/or coach, you're in. That's the "market" right now.
It's a good thing I am trying to become a hockey coach or something.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
It's a good thing I am trying to become a hockey coach or something.
I think at this point you're at "or something." Quit making excuses!

Old
09-23-2010, 01:01 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
I think at this point you're at "or something." Quit making excuses!

Stop yelling at me coach!

I'll do 50 bag skates.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

the collapse of the job market has done funny things to the teaching market. I know a whole lot of fellow history majors, english, comm, polisci, and such, who after failing to get a job, decided to get a teaching degree and teach at VA schools. Apparently those positions are now filled, and a lot of them are in grad school...which i imagine is now devaluing grad degrees.

When I started school, teaching was considered the never-fail, fallback position if you couldn't get a job with your degree or find one you liked. No longer.

Old
09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Yeah, but then you don't make all that money.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Heh, people are going to hate you for no reason for your entire professional life, so there's also that.
Meh.. you get used to it.
But, I will tell you.. if you're going to stay in NJ, it's more than the students that will hate you. Public workers are enemy number 1 right now.

I give ya credit though. I could never be a teacher and admire those that are.

Old
09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Meh.. you get used to it.
But, I will tell you.. if you're going to stay in NJ, it's more than the students that will hate you. Public workers are enemy number 1 right now.

I give ya credit though. I could never be a teacher and admire those that are.
I have to believe the only reason Christie hits so hard on the teacher's union is because does not have the balls, the political capital, or an opportunity for success by going after the police and firefighters unions.

Old
09-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I have to believe the only reason Christie hits so hard on the teacher's union is because does not have the balls, the political capital, or an opportunity for success by going after the police and firefighters unions.
Oooh....you need to brush up on your current events. He absolutely is. Very much so.
And for the record - there does need to be reform. I read some of the salaries that (for example) the 14 cops in a 1 sq. mile town (really? Ya need that many?) make, and I'M appalled. But the whole tone of his reform from day one has been punitive and antagonistic. The police, teachers, state workers, etc didn't make up their own salaries and benefits - it was negotiated and agreed to by the governing bodies.
There's plenty of fat to trim everywhere, yet a lot of the reforms he proposes amazingly exempt politicians and their cronies.
/rant

Old
09-23-2010, 02:01 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Oooh....you need to brush up on your current events. He absolutely is. Very much so.
And for the record - there does need to be reform. I read some of the salaries that (for example) the 14 cops in a 1 sq. mile town (really? Ya need that many?) make, and I'M appalled. But the whole tone of his reform from day one has been punitive and antagonistic. The police, teachers, state workers, etc didn't make up their own salaries and benefits - it was negotiated and agreed to by the governing bodies.
There's plenty of fat to trim everywhere, yet a lot of the reforms he proposes amazingly exempt politicians and their cronies.
/rant
That depends more on population/context, right? Philly has almost 50 per square mile.

Radnor Township, where I live, on the other hand has 50 officers for 14 sq mi, so around 3.5 per sq mi. And you could easily argue that it is over patrolled.

Last edited by UseYourAllusion: 09-23-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old
09-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
/rant
The superintendent of the district my old high school is in had the gall to go to a teachers meeting and say "I'm shouldering this too," in regard to the budget cuts. She has a 6 figure salary (risen over 100% to 200+ grand since coming in three or four years ago), a take home car, a food allowance, a clothing allowance, and a credit card reimbursed by the district. A pay cut for her probably still leaves her making roughly 4 times the amount one of my teachers makes (now in his 6th year).

People like to point to the teachers and **** all over them for their benefits and all, which is all fine and good (in my area, at least, they're extremely good), but the fact remains that the teachers couldn't afford half the stuff on the salary scale they're subject to anyway (not until after 15 or so successive years in the same district). We don't need as many administrators and assistants as there are -- I counted with the teacher I mentioned above, and the principal at my old school has as many assistant principles as she's got limbs. That's not counting administrators, and these people are all making 80k and up a year (many into 6 figures). It's plain outrageous. They've also been terribly ambiguous with the cuts that are happening, and have gotten upset with teachers when they simply ask what specifically it is they'll have to do without.

The system is so flawed it really hurts me as I learn more. I was there for observations back in May and the more I learned the more I understood the atmosphere that could turn toxic on a whim when this stuff came up -- it's effecting the teachers, and they can't even do anything.

I've got more, but I'll spare y'all.../rant.

Old
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

I mean I agree the ones that don't do **** shouldn't be getting as much as they get. But, that will never happen, ever.

Maybe I'll just move to Maine. It's too crowded here anyway.

Old
09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

the worst part about over patrolled areas is that the cops have absolutely nothing better to do than nail people for trivial things. i know someone who was hauled to the PD because his sandal broke, causing him to stumble...an officer saw it, decided he MUST be so hammered his shoes were exploding, and hauled him into the PD to make him take two breath tests. The best part is, he had only consumed water because he was the DD, and the officer was convinced the machine might have been faulty/he'd tricked it somehow.

there MUST be a better use of those man hours.

Old
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Mr Oysterhead

You guys know nothing about over patrolled areas until you've lived in Phoenix...

Old
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
If i were a cop, I would 10000% try to work in Radnor, so I could just take little kid's weed, and be like, I AM THE LAW.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
If i were a cop, I would 10000% try to work in Radnor, so I could just take little kid's weed, and be like, I AM THE LAW.
Plus you can hassle them at wawa, and you stand zero chance of ever being shot at. It's a pretty sweet gig.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Old
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Ha. ha. ha.

Realistically though, a teacher gives back 10x what any lawyer does and usually for half the money or less.

Closed Thread