HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

37th Obsequious Banter Thread: RICO Statue

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Anyone else read Postoffice by Charles Bukowski? What a hilarious book.
All of the Chinaski books are awesome. Factotum is probably my favorite (and the movie version is not bad either). Notes From a Dirty Old Man is ridiculous.

I love most of Bukowski's catalog. I have a couple of biographies on him too. He was just as important as the Beat writers for literature, but is only now becoming more popular.

Old
10-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
No, I should not. I already went through Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull today. OK, it was with hilarious Rifftrax, but it was a crappy movie nonetheless.
Kingdom of the Crystal skull wasn't fantastic by any stretch, but I think it's painting it unfairly saying it's crappy. The Indy movies have to be looked at in the context of the series -- individually, it seems like a lot of "wtf?" but really, they work off each other pretty well. I didn't like Raiders a whole lot but came to like it more as I watched Temple of Doom and Last Crusade (and liked those more, too).

I don't think they're meant to be anything spectacular, just fun. And Indiana Jones is certified manly fun.

Old
10-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Kingdom of the Crystal skull wasn't fantastic by any stretch, but I think it's painting it unfairly saying it's crappy. The Indy movies have to be looked at in the context of the series -- individually, it seems like a lot of "wtf?" but really, they work off each other pretty well. I didn't like Raiders a whole lot but came to like it more as I watched Temple of Doom and Last Crusade (and liked those more, too).

I don't think they're meant to be anything spectacular, just fun. And Indiana Jones is certified manly fun.
I approve the above statement. I think a lot of people expected something non-Indiana Jones-ish instead of understanding that all the films were like that really. I guess critics wanted the new millenium upgrade, but I actually thought it was fine. Not the best, but not crappy.

Old
10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post

He's escaping a nuke, which had absolutely no reason to be in the movie except for a gratuitous special effects scene, by hiding in a ******* fridge. Hell, the fricking ants had more sense being in that movie. At least that is a conceivable, natural danger though I have no clue why the freaking skull protected them from the ants. I know that there must be some form of danger too, usually in the form of grunts (who in this movie ALL went to the Stormtrooper academy for marksmanship) or traps in temples and ruins that are meant to protect what is inside them, but it has to feel natural to the plot and organically emerging from it.

The nuke on the other hand doesn't feel organic at all. It feels like it is simply there because the writer wanted it to be there. It has no bearing on the story whatsoever and Indy comes across it out of pure bad luck. And the fact that the problem was solved by a complete cop-out doesn't help it either.

This is a hallmark of crappy movie writing. The waterfalls are another such device which gets completely sidetracked because despite being portrayed as a danger, absolutely no harm comes from it. They simply go down and come out as if nothing happened, which requires the necessity of the watefalls to be questioned. The quicksand is another gratuitous pseudo-danger which was simply there because the writer wanted it to be there.

I also still have no clue why exactly Ox returned the Crystal Skull to that grave, after having gone all the way to that alien site once already. Plus unneeded and obnoxious relationship drama. And the cherry on top of the crap-cake: Shia Lebouf or whatever his name is spelled like.

The only really good thing I can say about it is that it has Neil Flynn in it.

Last edited by chaosof99*: 10-04-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old
10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
The 2010 Stanley Cup Finals were just on NHLnetwork....MLBnetwork was showing the 2009 World Series Finals

I just can't wait for old yeller and Bambi to be on tonight.

Old
10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
As many critics said at the time, The Crystal Skull didn't just jump the shark, it nuked the fridge.

What was, from the start, billed as a relatively CGI-free adventure in line with the first three (which were fantastic homages to earlier genres) turned into a poorly written, slapstick, CGI mess.

Lame villains, gratuitous CGI, a meandering plot, and a lame family subplot are not what an Indy movie should be about.

From what I understand, Harrison Ford is onboard for a 5th one so, if they do it, hopefully it is a return to form.

Old
10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
As many critics said at the time, The Crystal Skull didn't just jump the shark, it nuked the fridge.

What was, from the start, billed as a relatively CGI-free adventure in line with the first three (which were fantastic homages to earlier genres) turned into a poorly written, slapstick, CGI mess.

Lame villains, gratuitous CGI, a meandering plot, and a lame family subplot are not what an Indy movie should be about.

From what I understand, Harrison Ford is onboard for a 5th one so, if they do it, hopefully it is a return to form.
And hopefully minus LaBOOF. Seriously, what a ****** actor. Sadly, the only good part he ever played was in a Disney movie called Tru, where he played a mentally handicapped brother.

Old
10-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

Is that one going to be about Ford finding a mysterious time portal in his new retirement home so that he can go back in time and not look ridiculous as an action star?

Old
10-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Is that one going to be about Ford finding a mysterious time portal in his new retirement home so that he can go back in time and not look ridiculous as an action star?
He was one of the first actors to start receiving HGH treatments in the late 80s. He looks pretty damn good for his age. And I think most people would rather see him than Shia LeDouche.

Old
10-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

crystal skull absolutely ****ing infuriated me.

my reaction to the monkey scene, was an insatiable desire to whittle away george lucas' genitals with toenail clippers.

but....i composed myself, and assumed that because speilberg was on board, all would be well.....then the ****ing special effects aliens showed up...and i remembered that ol steve has a non-stop, raging hard-on for special effect aliens.

**** them both.

edit: close encounters was on yesterday. that movie is ****ing dead to me, because now i see it as nothing more than an elaborate foreshadowing of the stinking dump spielberg would help take on the greatest action trilogy known to mortal men.

Old
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I'm wasting time look at pictures on the Dan Carcillo's Mustache facebook page, and I saw this.

Unfortunately, I've never been to the Wach/Wells Fargo Center.

edit: Carcillo looks like Briere with Carcillo's stache added, and less teeth.

edit 2: At the end of crystal skull when Ford/Jones drops his hat, and it seems like Shia Lebuff is about to pick it up, I was thinking "No! That means there will be another one!" Fortunately, as those of you who saw the movie, he didn't pick it up.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 10-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old
10-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Beastieboy

I know that Riley Cote had some fans on this board... but Holly may have had more. She is apparently going to be a contestant on Wipeout Canada - see link. I know one of the other competitors from Winnipeg.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...104281088.html

Old
10-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
They should make these with Flyers faces:
http://phantees.bigcartel.com/product/jayson-werth-face
I've always wanted someone to make that kind of shirt with Clarkie's iconic toothless smile. What Flyers fan wouldn't buy that?

Old
10-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I've always wanted someone to make that kind of shirt with Clarkie's iconic toothless smile. What Flyers fan wouldn't buy that?

I wouldn't buy it. I think that a real Philly fan beats up his neighbors son and steals his shirt.

Old
10-05-2010, 02:22 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

my reaction to the monkey scene, was an insatiable desire to whittle away george lucas' genitals with toenail clippers.

but....i composed myself, and assumed that because speilberg was on board, all would be well.....then the ****ing special effects aliens showed up...and i remembered that ol steve has a non-stop, raging hard-on for special effect aliens.

**** them both.

edit: close encounters was on yesterday. that movie is ****ing dead to me, because now i see it as nothing more than an elaborate foreshadowing of the stinking dump spielberg would help take on the greatest action trilogy known to mortal men.
At least you composed yourself. My reaction was to throw my beer can at the screen and just yell at the rest of the movie for ruining my childhood love of Indy.

Yes, I snuck beer into a movie. No, I did not get kicked out despite doing that. I guess everyone else was too pissed off to have their movie experience be ruined.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
10-05-2010, 02:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

**** them both.

Like the 5th Rocky movie, I pretend that movie does not exist

Old
10-05-2010, 02:48 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Like the 5th Rocky movie, I pretend that movie does not exist
Wait, there's a Rockey 5?

I hated that one too. I'd pick Rocky 4 any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Old
10-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post

I'll take seven, one for every day of the week.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:18 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858

Old
10-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
I approve the above statement. I think a lot of people expected something non-Indiana Jones-ish instead of understanding that all the films were like that really. I guess critics wanted the new millenium upgrade, but I actually thought it was fine. Not the best, but not crappy.
I liked it better than Temple of Doom, but Raiders & Last Crusade are #1 and #1A of the series.

Old
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I liked it better than Temple of Doom, but Raiders & Last Crusade are #1 and #1A of the series.
I liked Last Crusade more then Raiders by a lot actually. While Temple and Raiders are both good flicks (and I agree Raiders is better) I thought Last Crusade was just incredible from start to finish.

Sean Connery FTW!

Old
10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I liked Last Crusade more then Raiders by a lot actually. While Temple and Raiders are both good flicks (and I agree Raiders is better) I thought Last Crusade was just incredible from start to finish.

Sean Connery FTW!
Nothing like using an umbrella to take down a fighter plane to prove your awesomeness.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Sean Connery FTW!
I can certainly see your viewpoint (and really, it's a tie for me hence the ranking). I do find that if Raiders is on TV, I might view it. If Crusade is on, I plop right down where I am - even if it's on a channel where there are commercials.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Valhoun*

Temple of Doom is nowhere close to the quality of the other films. However, Crystal Skull makes it seem like a classic.

It's pretty much what happened with Return of the Jedi when Phantom Menace came out. No one cared any longer if it sucked compared to Empire. It was still a classic.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Nothing like using an umbrella to take down a fighter plane to prove your awesomeness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I can certainly see your viewpoint (and really, it's a tie for me hence the ranking). I do find that if Raiders is on TV, I might view it. If Crusade is on, I plop right down where I am - even if it's on a channel where there are commercials.
"No ticket!"

I love the arguments between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. They are just so funny.

Closed Thread