HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Mason?

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Wally112pac

vCash: 500
Chris Mason?

What do you guys think of him? He's goin to be a rfa this summer?

Do you think he has what it takes to be Vokoun's back up for a couple of years?

Old
06-01-2004, 11:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac
What do you guys think of him? He's goin to be a rfa this summer?

Do you think he has what it takes to be Vokoun's back up for a couple of years?

i think he'll be resigned. he's the perfect backup to vokoun:

a) knows that he's not there to challenge for the starting job
b)knows he won't play more than 12-15 games a year
c) plays pretty damn well when he gets in
d) cheap

i think flaherty won't be back, and Finley will get the full-time starting job in Milwaukee, and i have no idea who will back him up.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:09 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Funny thing happened the other day. I was talking to Chris' brother about the great time Chris had in Nashville. Chris is hoping to get resign and am sure he will. He did mention though that he is hoping there is no lock out as he doesn't really want to get a real job.....
We also talked about that game against the Avalanche, its one of Chris' highlights....

Old
06-02-2004, 12:14 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
Funny thing happened the other day. I was talking to Chris' brother about the great time Chris had in Nashville. Chris is hoping to get resign and am sure he will. He did mention though that he is hoping there is no lock out as he doesn't really want to get a real job.....
We also talked about that game against the Avalanche, its one of Chris' highlights....

Chris became an instant fan-favorite, with that game. Preds fans went from being unsure\unconfident about Mase...to having a ton of respect for him. That whole stretch where Vokoun was out with the flu, Mase really answered the bell. I hope he is resigned, and I believe that he certainly will be. The organization likes him, and he likes the organization.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Pattypred

I think Mason will be resigned. As said before, Chris is a great backup. I also believe Wade might be resigned for Milwaukee to continue as backup for Finley.

I'm not too sure of Finley. He still appears fragile to me - not necessarily physically but mentally. I think another good year in Milwaukee will help him out.

If it doesn't, we have several good goalie prospects in the system.

Old
06-02-2004, 01:19 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From the Tennessean.
Lasak's time short:
Poile said it's unlikely the team will exercise the option on goalie Jan Lasak's contract, which would make him a free agent at the end of June.

Lasak, a second-round pick in 1999, was considered the odds-on favorite to back up Tomas Vokoun during the 2003-04 season. But after Lasak struggled in training camp, the Predators opted to pick up Chris Mason in the waiver draft.

Lasak, 25, had a typically great showing for Slovakia in the World Championship earlier this month, posting four shutouts in nine games while recording a .954 save percentage and 1.00 goals against average.

But Poile said he's happy with the organization's current goaltending crop, which includes Vokoun, Mason, Wade Flaherty and former first-round pick Brian Finley.

''If other teams are interested, we'd be open to trading (Lasak),'' Poile said. ''He was terrific at the World Championship, so maybe last year in Nashville just wasn't his time.''

Poile said none of the four potential free agents among the team's 2002 draft — forward Patrick Jarrett, defensemen Josh Morrow and Steven Spencer, and goalie Matt Davis — will be offered contracts by the Predators.

All six will become free agents Tuesday. Jarrett was the lowest-round pick in the group, taken in the fifth round two summers ago.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Jarnberg

Err not hijacking the thread, but in response to article about Lasak, anyone else feel like he was given up on too quickly?

Old
06-02-2004, 02:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

A little, keep in mind though even though both were drafted in 1999 Lasak is two years older than Finley.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Jarnberg

But it seems he was in the plans for the future. He went from being a backup to not even being resigned. He should have at least got some time in the minors or something. I know you don't want to take away time from Finley, but something other than just not having him.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Teams are having to tighten the belts with the CBA uncertainties, this might help explain it too. Also we do still have a few other goalie prospects right now, he's probably the lowest on the pole with one of the larger price tags. Besides where could we send him? He's not going to play in the ECHL, like you said he can't take time away from Finley wo we really don't have a team to assign him too.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i would love if some stop-gap guy was signed for one year to back Finley(a chris madden\JF Labbe kind of guy) and Lassila was brought over next year.

Old
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
we are going to let patrick jarrett become a FA??

Old
06-02-2004, 04:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
we are going to let patrick jarrett become a FA??

already did.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
You know the one thing Dudley hinted at was he made a mistake at the Waiver Draft. The mistake wasn't exposing Hurme after Mason was claimed but instead, exposing Mason and protecting Hurme in the first place (especially when Chris had such a good training camp compared to Hurme). Its good to hear that Mason is predicted to serve as backup in Nashville. He's perfectly suited for the backup role and I wish FL actually still had him (though Shields wasn't a bad backup to Luongo, Mason could've backed up Roberto for a few more seasons).

Old
06-03-2004, 02:55 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
Everyone is quick to criticize the city of Nashville, but once they get here, they realize it’s a pretty nice place to live and they love it here. Detroit fans loved it here during the playoffs. They were in every bar and souvenir shop along Broadway and down 2nd Ave just soaking up all the “country.”

And I really like Mason. I think we’ve had a backup goalie complex here. For 5+ years only Vokoun and Dunham had won games and no matter who else was in goal, they never could get it done. So everyone was weary when Mason would go in net. But he was playing well and started gaining confidence from fans a little. Then that Colorado game, it wasn’t just a highlight for him, but for our whole team for the circumstances in that game. But wait, he’s got 2 W’s against Colorado, which one are people talking about?!...He played great in both games. Like NMK said, that whole stretch where he was the starter while Vokoun was out just really solidified everyone’s confidence in him to come out and do a good job. And he did, if Vokoun got pulled for anything, he did great, even getting himself a few mini-shutouts along the way!

Old
06-03-2004, 03:02 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
Everyone is quick to criticize the city of Nashville, but once they get here, they realize it’s a pretty nice place to live and they love it here. Detroit fans loved it here during the playoffs. They were in every bar and souvenir shop along Broadway and down 2nd Ave just soaking up all the “country.”

And I really like Mason. I think we’ve had a backup goalie complex here. For 5+ years only Vokoun and Dunham had won games and no matter who else was in goal, they never could get it done. So everyone was weary when Mason would go in net. But he was playing well and started gaining confidence from fans a little. Then that Colorado game, it wasn’t just a highlight for him, but for our whole team for the circumstances in that game. But wait, he’s got 2 W’s against Colorado, which one are people talking about?!...He played great in both games. Like NMK said, that whole stretch where he was the starter while Vokoun was out just really solidified everyone’s confidence in him to come out and do a good job. And he did, if Vokoun got pulled for anything, he did great, even getting himself a few mini-shutouts along the way!
he also got a legit shutout, that 0-0 game vs LA

Closed Thread