HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

SCF Gm.5: Calgary Flames @ Tampa Bay Lightning l Flames 3-2 (OT) l Flames Lead 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Drury77

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
SCF Gm.5: Calgary Flames @ Tampa Bay Lightning l Flames 3-2 (OT) l Flames Lead 3-2

STANLEY CUP Finals -- -- GM. 5

VS

Calgary Flames

vs.

Tampa Bay Lightning

Series Tied 2-2

Calgary Flames 2003-2004 Complete Schedule/Results

Tampa Bay Lightning 2003-2004 Complete Schedule/Results

REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS

Calgary Flames: 42-29-7-3, 94 points.
*3rd Place in Northwest Division, 6th Place in Western Conference.*
vs.
Tampa Bay Lightning: 46-22-8-6, 106 points.
*1st Place in Southeast Division, 1st Place in Eastern Conference.*

How they got here:

Flames Upset the Nucks in 7 - Series Page

Flames Upset the Wings in 6 - Series Page

Flames Upset the Sharks in 6 - Series Page

------------------------------------------

Tampa Beat the Islanders in 5 - Series Page

Tampa Swept Montreal - Series Page

Tampa Beat Flyers in 7 - Series Page

@ The St. Pete Times Forum l Tampa, FL

Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 8:00 pm ET.
TV: ABC/CBC or TSN

GAME 1: CGY 4, @ TAM 1
Recap | Box Score

GAME 2: CGY 1, @ TAM 4
Recap | Box Score

GAME 3: TAM 0, @ CGY 3
Recap | Box Score

GAME 4: TAM 1, @ CGY 0
Recap | Box Score

*GAME 5: CGY , @ TAM
Recap | Box Score

*GAME 6: TAM @ CGY
Sat, June 5 - 8:00 PM ESPN

*GAME 7: CGY , @ TAM
Mon, June 7 - 8:00 PM ESPN

* - if necessary
All times Eastern

Live Score!

IMPORTANT GAMEDAY LINKS!!

*Live Game Audio
*ESPN LIVE Scoreboard
*Live NHL Scoreboard
*Live General Sports Scoreboard
*Yahoo Flames Page
*Yahoo Tampa Page
*Sportsline Flames Page
*Sportsline Tampa Page
*Yahoo NHL Photo Gallery
*Sportsline NHL Photo Gallery

(***Please note that some links will only work on GAME DAY***)

06-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Well this game is off the charts...the winner goes up 3-2 and is in control of this series. I think Calgary will win tonight, 3-2. And the usual cheap stuff will happen again tonight.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:36 AM
rwilson99

Get ready for a parade to the penalty box, with the Flames leading the charge.

Lots of open ice and less clutching and grabbing should make for some very entertaining hockey.

Look for the Fraud to follow the lead of their coach and melt down due to a lack of dicipline.

Tampa Bay Lightning 4
Cypress Gardens* Fraud 1

*Cypress Gardens is an amusement park in Florida that is famous for waterskiiing exhibitions.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

I am hoping Tampa will win this Cup. I am tired of the gooning, fighting, cheap shots that Flames are getting famous for. It does not bode well for hockey if the Cup winner is a broad street bulies. :mad:

Old
06-03-2004, 10:44 AM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99

Lots of open ice and less clutching and grabbing should make for some very entertaining hockey.

Look for the Fraud to follow the lead of their coach and melt down due to a lack of dicipline.

Tampa Bay Lightning 4
Cypress Gardens* Fraud 1

*Cypress Gardens is an amusement park in Florida that is famous for waterskiiing exhibitions.
Nice way to kickstart another exciting thread. Hey, I guess if the game is going to be the *****, we may as well have a flamefest on HF. That'll keep some of you in your seats.

Flames take this 4-2. Not without a fight to the end...and a fight at the end, I'm sure.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

Quote:

Tampa Bay Lightning 4
Cypress Gardens* Fraud 1

Yeah, I think some Flames fans underestimated Tampa. They almost expect Flames to win ALL game 5 all the way to the Cup? Well, maybe tonight they will get a "surprise".

From what I read, it seems that Tampa players are going to be ready tonight. I sure hope that the cheapshot to Vinny didn't wake him up. You don't want to kick a sleeping dog.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Snakeeye

I predict that the officials will make some incredibly weak calls, and non calls in the first, then change the rules completely by the ten minute mark. Why change what they have been doing all playoffs long?

I predict that should the Lightning go up 1-0 again, they will trap, obstruct, hook and hold like they did in game four.

That said, I predict the Lightning are going to learn the meaning of "physical hockey" tonight. And they are going to find out that no, they are not faster than the Flames. No, they are not more skilled than the Flames, and no, they dont want it as bad as the Flames.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

^^ You don't feel like you underestimating the Bolts, do you?

Old
06-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules
From what I read, it seems that Tampa players are going to be ready tonight. I sure hope that the cheapshot to Vinny didn't wake him up. You don't want to kick a sleeping dog.
Its game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final, I would sure as hell hope the players were ready to play.

Old
06-03-2004, 11:16 AM
OMA

Calgary will goon it up because the Calgary Flames are the SICKEST SICKEST SICKEST level of SCUM the NHL has ever seen.

The score will be 230983083085 to 0 in favor of TB.

On that note, Toni Lydman is expected to draw into the Calgary lineup tonight.

Old
06-03-2004, 11:21 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
On that note, Toni Lydman is expected to draw into the Calgary lineup tonight.
How do Flames fans feel about that? Seems to me that Commodore and Montador have filled in really well, should they be tampering with success? Also, wouldn't Lydman be a dropoff in grit on the backend as well...is that a good idea given how physical the series has been? Or is it worth it for the upgrade in skill?

Old
06-03-2004, 11:36 AM
CaptainCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
How do Flames fans feel about that? Seems to me that Commodore and Montador have filled in really well, should they be tampering with success? Also, wouldn't Lydman be a dropoff in grit on the backend as well...is that a good idea given how physical the series has been? Or is it worth it for the upgrade in skill?
Lydman certainly will help out our pathetic powerplay, and I for one despite his charisma and all the attention he has recieved have not been overly impressed with the play of Commodore. It's not that he has played very poorly, he's big and strong and wins (or at least doesn't lose) many battles in the trenches but he is also slow and his positioning is weak, and this gets him into alot of trouble where he has to try and use his strength and reach in a questionable manner. It's a tough call, but I think it will come down to whether or not Sutter thinks it will be a game with alot of penalties called (where Lydman would be a benefit) or a game where the refs let them play (where Commodore would be a benefit).

Old
06-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Zhackpot

Speculation from Al Strachan of the Sun that Lydman will dress and Oliwa will sit and that will mean 7 d for the Flames with Lydman being used mostly in PP situations.

IMO, this game will be much tamer than the others, Flames will hit hard but do their damndest to keep sticks, elbows and hands down.

I predict Roy will goon it up and the Lightning will come out over confident cocky and a little flat while the Flames go up quickly 2-0 and win it 5-2.

Old
06-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Bill McNeal

Isn't the game on CBC in Canada, not TSN?

Old
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Depends on how rusty he is. Commodore's been averaging about 5 minutes or so a game. Given the Lightning's skill and specifically their speed, I'd much rather have Lydman on the ice if he's ready to go.

Lydman can play physical if necessary, but obviously that's not his strong-suit. The guy can actually make the first pass and is a darn good skater. That being said, I don't think Lydman will get his usual workload, I'd expect maybe 10-12 minutes? Some PP time.

But I'd much much much rather have Lydman in.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Calgary is 3-0 in game 5's!! That's an incredible stat. Will the Flames be fresh enough. Way more hockey and travel than the Lightning. Will Lecavalier have his head on straight as really he has been a no show in the Finals? Will Iginla continue to dominate?

All these subplots and I work tonight!?!?!?!?! :mad:

I call a 4-2 Lightining win. The Lightinig have been playing possum. They have not had a great game yet, and are due for one. The Flames will be flying in period one, but if they don't score, it will be extremely hard on them.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Calgary is 3-0 in game 5's!! That's an incredible stat. .
No it isn't, dude. The statistical sampling is "3".

Old
06-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Timmy1973

I'm not going to make a prediction, although I'm pulling for the Lightning. I want to see some good hockey. It's down to a best of three for all the marbles.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
No it isn't, dude. The statistical sampling is "3".
You're right. It's not at all impressive the the Flames were able to beat 3 divsion winners on the road in Game 5 each time playing their best games of each series in that pivotal game 5. Not impressive at all. Wait until they've done it 18 times, the it can be called impressive.

All I know is that the Flames will play their best game of the series tonight. The Lightning had better do the same of they will find themselves facing elimination in Calgary Saturday.

Keep in mind the Lightning have scored 1 goal in the last 6 periods and it was a 5-3 goal.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:40 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
You're right. It's not at all impressive the the Flames were able to beat 3 divsion winners on the road in Game 5 each time playing their best games of each series in that pivotal game 5. Not impressive at all. Wait until they've done it 18 times, the it can be called impressive.
Yes, yes. It's very impressive that the Flames have come this far and beaten many good teams.

But, the game 5 stat is not significant. By this point in the playoffs, the remaining two teams always have positive stats for FREAKING EVERYTHING. What is Tampa Bay's record in game 5's? Gee it's only 2-0 (because they didn't need a game 5 once).

Clearly, Tampa is doomed cuz' -- you know -- 3 wins in game 5's is greater than 2 wins in game 5's.

Old
06-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Hoek

Tampa Bay was 3-0 this postseason in Game 3's (and 6-0 lifetime) in a similar situation having played them all on the road and that record fell in this series so there's absolutely no reason to put such weight on a silly stat for the Flames in Game 5's.. Both teams will put out their best game tonight and hopefully that means we'll get to watch some hockey instead of Wrestlemania.

Old
06-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
I predict that the officials will make some incredibly weak calls, and non calls in the first, then change the rules completely by the ten minute mark. Why change what they have been doing all playoffs long?

I predict that should the Lightning go up 1-0 again, they will trap, obstruct, hook and hold like they did in game four.

That said, I predict the Lightning are going to learn the meaning of "physical hockey" tonight. And they are going to find out that no, they are not faster than the Flames. No, they are not more skilled than the Flames, and no, they dont want it as bad as the Flames.
1. The teams are pretty equal in terms of speed. 2. We'll find out tonight if Tampa wants it bad enough. 3. Even Sutter knows that Tampa is more talented than the Flames. That is why they are going after the star players on Tampa and employing tight checking and obstruction at every opportunity.

Old
06-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

Tampa Bay Lightning 4
Cypress Gardens* Fraud 1

Someone's a sore loser. The Flames beat your team, get over it.

Old
06-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
Tampa Bay was 3-0 this postseason in Game 3's (and 6-0 lifetime) in a similar situation having played them all on the road and that record fell in this series so there's absolutely no reason to put such weight on a silly stat for the Flames in Game 5's.. Both teams will put out their best game tonight and hopefully that means we'll get to watch some hockey instead of Wrestlemania.

I hope so. Since so far NONE of the 4 previous games have featured great hockey

Old
06-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
I hope so. Since so far NONE of the 4 previous games have featured great hockey
Maybe if it's sucks so bad then you shouldn't be talking about it as much? Or maybe you should consider following a different sport?

Anybody who's a fan of one of the teams in the finals and still finds it boring is a questionable hockey fan IMO.

Closed Thread