Notices

Byfuglien to enter camp as D

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

vCash: 500
After the playoff campaign Buf had, it would seem plenty weird to try and re-convert him to D at this point. When you can frustrate Pronger the way he did, and Luongo for that matter, you know you've found your niché in the game.

Old
09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

IF he can step in and play good D, then I have no problem with this. Scoring is still a problem whether he plays forward or D. Not much of a difference between the 15-20 Buff could net at forward or the 15 Pettersson or Spencer can score. No matter where he plays, we need an additional top-6.

Old
09-13-2010, 09:57 AM
The Sneak

surfing around capgeek this morning and just noticed that Byfuglien is an RFA next summer. I can't imagine Dusty accepting a role that will hurt his value when he's playing for a contract. I'm willing to take a wait and see approach here.

Old
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
lakingshockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
After the playoff campaign Buf had, it would seem plenty weird to try and re-convert him to D at this point. When you can frustrate Pronger the way he did, and Luongo for that matter, you know you've found your niché in the game.

He was not really that big of a factor with Pronger - he was with Luongo though!

Old
09-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Juneemoon

Ben Wright has photos of Byfuglien in his Thrashers jersey for the photos today.

http://twitpic.com/2or3jj

Old
09-17-2010, 08:27 AM
omgShakeNbake

I am so pissed now because I drafted him in my fantasy league not knowing the organization moved him back to def.... Is this the real deal, or we will be back to wing by the start of camp?

Old
09-17-2010, 08:50 AM
KevFist
is best pony

This may be a case of Ramsay giving Buff enough rope to hang himself.... Let him go back to D for a bit and realize he's better as a forward.

Old
09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgShakeNbake View Post
I am so pissed now because I drafted him in my fantasy league not knowing the organization moved him back to def.... Is this the real deal, or we will be back to wing by the start of camp?
he will start camp on D but i dont think it would surprise anyone if he is back at forward within a week or two

Old
09-17-2010, 09:06 AM
fatschoonerrat

The way it looks to me is Byf wants to play D and they're going to give him that opportunity. If we want the motivated real-deal Dustin Byfuglien, we've got to give him the chance to be the player he wants to be. His natural position is on the blue line. However, if it turns out he's going to be a third pairing D -- we are so ridiculously deep on defense (Twilight Zone?) -- then maybe he'd see it makes more sense to play forward and contribute to the team.

Obviously, I don't know what the guy is thinking. But would you want to be Chris Pronger's pinata? If he can make a living as a talented D, he's probably happier than being the guy who gets picked to play forward because he's like a bronze statue in front of the net.

Anyone see that video of Byf on the Thrashers site? Looks like a good team guy but not exactly a charmer is he?

Old
09-17-2010, 09:10 AM
GetPucksDeep

Buf is going to be on D, so they can put him on the ice with Oduya - and they'll ice, Kane-Aliu-Dawes up front - and the team will make some PR noise about being the first team to ice five players with African heritage.

And then Buff goes back to forward.

Old
09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
Dustin Byfuglien is a larger version of Colby Armstrong. Without Kane and Toews on his line, he's a 3rd line winger.

As for moving a D man, I suspect it would be Kulda. yeah, he looked good, but Postma's the real stud in the system.
I don't know...

Moral of the 2010 Stanley Cup was he's a first line winger when put with a worthy first line center and wing...If you put him on the 3rd line, you might as well not put him at all...or keep him on D if he wants.
His purpose is to create/take away net traffic and help the smaller quick & talented play their game.
If a team he's on has two skilled first line worthy guys he's a bonafide FIRST line winger. Oh what Gretzky could've done with a presence in front like THAT...

Anyone who completely puts Chris Pronger in his place...man, I'm jealous of you guys.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
jb**

Is Brashear in camp or was already waived?

Old
09-17-2010, 04:24 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Bought out.

Old
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
He was waived the same day we acquired him.

Old
09-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Aaronxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
Buf is going to be on D, so they can put him on the ice with Oduya - and they'll ice, Kane-Aliu-Dawes up front - and the team will make some PR noise about being the first team to ice five players with African heritage.

And then Buff goes back to forward.

Old
09-20-2010, 03:32 PM
99 steps
to the top

I've watched almost every NHL game Buf has played. He is a far more effective winger.

Old
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
I don't know...

Moral of the 2010 Stanley Cup was he's a first line winger when put with a worthy first line center and wing...If you put him on the 3rd line, you might as well not put him at all...or keep him on D if he wants.
His purpose is to create/take away net traffic and help the smaller quick & talented play their game.
If a team he's on has two skilled first line worthy guys he's a bonafide FIRST line winger. Oh what Gretzky could've done with a presence in front like THAT...

Anyone who completely puts Chris Pronger in his place...man, I'm jealous of you guys.
To be honest with you, that's like saying Eric Boulton is a first line player when you put him with first line players. Anyone's going to play better when you put them with better players.

Old
09-20-2010, 05:28 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
I've watched almost every NHL game Buf has played. He is a far more effective winger.
Dustin Byfuglien waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were powerplays in the arena. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Chicago's salary cap were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Dustin was a forward for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the hockeys and he said to dad "I want to be in the powerplay daddy."
Dad said "No! You will CROSSCHECKED BY DEFENSEMEN"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the arena of the NHL he knew there were Powerplays.
"This is Burmistrov" the annoucner crackered. "You must fight the defensemen!"
So Dustin gotted his stick and jump into the rink.
"HE GOING SCORE ON US" said the defensemans
"I will poke check at him" said Chris Pronger and he cross checked. Dustin spun at him and tried to hurt him up. But then the rafters fell and they were trapped and not able to crosscheck and score goals.
"No! I must kill the defensemen!" he shouted
Craig Ramsay said "No, Dustin. You are the defensemans"
And then Dustin Byfuglien was a plus/minus.

Old
09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Taser19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Same here but I'd say he was impressive at times on D. He scored most of his first season goals from the back end. Huge shot.

Old
09-27-2010, 09:21 AM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
The way it looks to me is Byf wants to play D and they're going to give him that opportunity. If we want the motivated real-deal Dustin Byfuglien, we've got to give him the chance to be the player he wants to be. His natural position is on the blue line. However, if it turns out he's going to be a third pairing D -- we are so ridiculously deep on defense (Twilight Zone?) -- then maybe he'd see it makes more sense to play forward and contribute to the team....
The more I think about this, the more of a total cluster***** it seems to be.

Buf on D means we traded a 1st and Morin to fill a position we didn't need.

Buf on D means paying Hainsey 4 mil to play on the bottom pair.

It's totally whacked.

Yes - it sounds like Buf WANTS to play D and the team is accomodating his request. They probably want a happy Buf so he sticks around a while. But letting players make these decisions is totally screwed.

Even if he played D, why isn't he playing in front of the net on the PP? Plenty of forwards play point on the PP (Kovy), so why not put him where he's most effective?

Closed Thread