Notices

2010/11 NHL Prediction Thread

Old
10-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
2010/11 NHL Prediction Thread

Alright guys, if any of you have been on the main board lately, a lot of people are giving their predictions for the upcoming season. Unfortunately many of those threads just have homers talking their own teams up, so I figured it'd be cool for us to have our own to get away from all the crap the main board brings. I figured we'd predict the West standings and the cup winner. Keep in mind that things could change your opinion as the season goes on (trades, signings, injuries, etc..). However, it'd be cool to predict things before the season gets under way. I'll go 1st.

West Standings:
1. Detroit- I've been saying this all offseason and many of you have disagreed with me, but I still think they are the team to beat this year. Their depth is amazing.

2. Vancover- Like Detroit this team has great depth at every position, but I just don't see them winning a championship. Don't know why, I just don't think they will.

3. San Jose- I think the Pacific will come close between them and LA. They aren't as good as last year, but the Pacific as a whole is weaker IMO.

4. LA- I think this team will suprise a lot of people this year. Their roster is better then last year's.

5. Chicago- Their depth took a major hit on the offensive and defensive side. I had them at 4 a month ago, but I think LA signing Mitchell gives them an edge over Chicago.

6. Nashville- I don't know how this team does it, but they always seem to be very competitive.

7. Pheonix- Tippet's boring coaching style does wonders for this team.

8. Calgary- Part of me wants to put this team in 6th and move Nashville and Pheonix down. This team has a great defense and should have solid goaltending, but their questionable players on offense make me think they barely sneak in.

9. Colorado- Have a bunch of great young players, but I think they don't make it this year.

10. Anaheim- The west seems weaker this year, well maybe not weaker, but more evened out so we'll have a chance, but our defense will once again (unless we get someone else) keep us from the playoffs. I also think our secondary scoring will struggle this year compared to last year.

11. Dallas- I think this team could potentially steal a playoff spot, but their lack of depth on the front and back end will hurt them.

12. St.Louis- See Dallas

13. Columbus- See Dallas and St.Louis

14. Edmonton- The young players play decent and get them out of the cellar, but they will still struggle.

15. Minnesota- Cellar dwellers this year IMO.

My cup prediction is once again Detroit beating Pittsburg. I hope to god I'm wrong though. I hate Detroit more than any other team and Pittsburg isn't far off.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
1. Vancouver - I hate them, but they have a very strong team this year. Good depth on all positions, Ehrhoff is very underrated. NW is looking pretty weak this year.

2. San Jose - Good offense, good defense. Doesn't have the goalies to beat Vancouver though.

3. Chicago - The only way Detroit beats them imo is if they have a cup hangover. Not the same depth as last year, but great top players. Goalies could be a concern.

4. Los Angeles - Good on all positions, might win the Pacific. Quick is a pretty good goalie and Bernier might be considered even better than him a month from now.

5. Detroit - They have the stars and they have the depth. However, injuries are a concern and they aren't getting any younger. I'm not sold on Howard either. I don't think he'll be the same goalie as last season and was terrible in preseason. Osgood is just flat out terrible as well at this point in his career.

6. Nashville - Solid goaltending and Suter and Weber on D. However, the depth on D isn't great. But on the other hand, they have many good 2-way forwards, which I think is a strong reason they manage to compete every year.

7. Calgary - Someone gotta follow Vancouver to the playoffs from the NW. Great goaltending, but forwards is a question mark. Like their depth up front though, but not so much there top. However, I think Tanguay can bounce back somewhat. D is almost great and will defenitely be great if JayBow bouncec back.

8. Phoenix - A lot will be hanging on Bryz this year again. Wolski was a good pick up last season. But with the Sharks and the Kings in the top 4, they gotta settle for #8, competing with Anaheim.

----------------

9. St. Louis - Could have been in there instead of Calgary or Phoenix, but Central looks like really good this year again. Johnson, Backes, Perron, Oshie and Berglund has more to give.

10. Anaheim - Defense just isn't good enough. Injuries are a concern. Sharks and Kings looks to strong, and only 3 teams will make it out of the Pacific. Games against Phoenix could decide.

11. Colorado - Mueller could be out for the year, little routine and I don't think Anderson will be as good (although still a solid goalie). Won't be underestimated this year.

12. Columbus - Mason has potential. Some solid shot down defensemen and promising young forwards. They aren't really THAT bad, but still the worst team in the Central. Could have a pretty good PK, but probably won't impress on the PP.

13. Minnesota - Has some depth but lack star players. I think Backstrom might have his best days behind him. Still a decent #1, but not a top 5 or top 10 goalie in the league anymore.

14. Edmonton - I expect their rookies to do pretty good, but it's not enough. Goalies look weak, defense isn't impressive either.

15. Dallas - Some great forwards, but are lacking in depth. Has some good defensive defensemen, but only Robidas will put up points. Goalies are a huge question mark. Can Lehtonen stay healthy? Don't think so, good luck with Raycroft.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

My prediction would go like this:

1. Vancouver
2. Detroit
3. San Jose
4. LA
5. Chicago
6. Phoenix
7. Nashville
8. Anaheim
9. Calgary
10. Colorado
11. St. Louis
12. Columbus
13. Dallas
14. Edmonton
15. Minnesota

Vancouver's roster up and down is the best of any team. LA has a very good team, and can even challenge the Pacific division title. It will be ultimately about health though. Calgary's health problems doesn't make them a legitimate contender IMO. Colorado, St. Louis, Columbus, Dallas are all in the same boat, where they can't afford a big-time game breaker on the front/back end due to budget and may not have enough depth. Assuming we stay healthy, I see no reason why we can't finish in the 7th-8th seed. Injuries to Selanne, Lupul, Getzlaf really hampered our chances last year, I thought we had a better team than what our standings indicated (though we got Fowler in the process!).

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Paul4587

1. Vancouver
2. Detroit
3. San Jose
4. Chicago
5. LA
6. Nashville
7. Calgary
8. St. Louis
9. Colorado
10. Anaheim
11. Phoenix
12. Dallas
13. Edmonton
14. Columbus
15. Minnesota

My pick for the finals are Detroit and Pittsburgh although that will probably change depending on how teams address their problems at the trade deadline. If Washington can get a very good defensive defenseman and Varlamov can prove to be a reliable #1 or if Philly can get a solid goaltender then the Eastern Conference looks a lot different. The West is a lot weaker than in previous years, I think Detroit, Vancouver and maybe Chicago are the only really strong looking sides but I think Detroit will be motivated after being eliminated in the second round last year, not to mention they will be better off in terms of health this year. Adding Hudler and Modano doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by Paul4587: 10-07-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:34 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Adding Hudler and Modano doesn't hurt either.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:53 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Not going to have a full prediction list yet, but a few thoughts until I have more time to make a list.

Vancouver #1. I think Philadelphia might be #1 in the East. Them or NJ. I'll have to look at their rosters more closely first.

Edmonton is still going to suck. Ryan Whitney is their #1 defenseman. They are counting on Penner to be good for 2 seasons in a row. And I think Taylor Hall is overrated. Although I do think MPS will be a stud.

I think people will be surprised at how well Colorado does this year. Many seem to be thinking they might fall back. I don't think so. My fall back candidates are LA and Phoenix.

I was wondering why people kept picking Minnesota last. Then I saw their roster. Damn.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Not going to have a full prediction list yet, but a few thoughts until I have more time to make a list.

Vancouver #1. I think Philadelphia might be #1 in the East. Them or NJ. I'll have to look at their rosters more closely first.

Edmonton is still going to suck. Ryan Whitney is their #1 defenseman. They are counting on Penner to be good for 2 seasons in a row. And I think Taylor Hall is overrated. Although I do think MPS will be a stud.

I think people will be surprised at how well Colorado does this year. Many seem to be thinking they might fall back. I don't think so. My fall back candidates are LA and Phoenix.
I was wondering why people kept picking Minnesota last. Then I saw their roster. Damn.
Pheonix is a big possibility since one of their best goal scorers is out for an extended period of time. Out of curiosity though, why would you think LA would fall back? Their offense is the same and their defense has improved. Add those factors to Doughty being a year older and I can't see them dropping, although I would definitely welcome it.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post

I agree about Phoenix. People are predicting them to build on last year but I think they majorly overachieved to begin with. They've also lost Michalek and their their talent down the middle is terrible, they should have done more to re-sign Lombardi.

I agree, Colorado's roster is pretty solid, there's not a lot of difference between them, Calgary and St. Louis. I could easily see them making the playoffs, I ranked those three teams order pretty much randomly.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Pwnasaurus

I think Nashville can be very scary for some teams if they make it in and I think they will. They can win a bunch of 2-1 games come playoff time. Alright I'll do it...they can be my deep deep cup sleeper.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:05 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

1. Sharks
2. Canucks
3. Blackhawks
4. Red Wings
5. Kings
6. Avs
7. Preds
8. Ducks
-------------------------
9. Blues
10. 'Yotes
11. Flames
12. Stars
13. Wild
14. Oilers
15. Blue Jackets

Bit of a homer as I'm being way optimistic on our chances, but I reckon from 7th -> 11th will be less then 10 points between them, too close to call.

Can see Sharks doing well this season, but I hope they don't tbh

1. Capitals
2. Penguins
3. Sabres
4. Devils
5. Flyers
6. Sens
7. Bruins
8. Lightning
------------------
9. Canadiens
10. Rangers
11. Hurricanes
12. Islanders
13. Thrashers
14. Maple Leafs
15. Panthers

Tampa are the darkhorse in the East IMO. Yzerman effect FTW!

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote