Calgary Hitmen Off-Season Thread

Old
09-10-2010, 01:08 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
2011-12 Calgary Hitmen Season Thread

New season, new thread.

*Mods, if one of you could be so kind as to delete the off-season thread and sticky this one, it would be much appreciated*

Let's start this one off with some good news...

Hitmen Sign Top Pick From 2010 Bantam Draft

Quote:
Calgary Hitmen General Manager Kelly Kisio announced today the signing of first round bantam pick Greg Chase to a Western Hockey League Standard Player Agreement.

Chase, a 5’10” 170lbs. centre from Sherwood Park, AB, was taken 22nd overall in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft. He played AAA Bantam this past season with the Sherwood Park Flyers collecting 77 points (42g 35a) in 33 games.

“We are very excited to have Greg commit to our organization.” said Kisio. “We believe he has a bright future in the WHL and expect him to be a member of the Hitmen next season as a 16 year-old.”

HitmenHockey.com.

Quote:
The 2010/11 regular season begins Friday, September 24th when the Hitmen host the Lethbridge Hurricanes in the Calgary Real Estate News Home Opener. Game time is 7:00 p.m. at the Saddledome.

That night four championship banners from the 2009-10 season will be raised to the rafters, including one as 2010 Ed Chynoweth Cup Champions.

For information on ticket packages including Flex Packs, Group Tickets or Season Tickets, call Customer Service at 403-777-4646.

Should be interesting to see how this season turns out, with the loss of some pretty good players. Some are speculationg that it could be a rebuilding year, although it's been a supposed rebuilding year for the last 3 years. The job Kelly Kisio has done with this organization can't get enough credit. Here's hoping for another good year.

Go Hitmen!

Last edited by StreakingRed: 10-03-2011 at 12:15 AM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
travellingman345

We went to the preseason game in Innisfail on Saturday night. It ended 4 to 3 Rebels in a shoot out. It was really hard to judge the Hitmen on that performance.
Along with the 10 players at NHL camps - they sat out Sylvester, Bubnick and Aschim. So it was a rookie crew. The only vets in the line up were Snider, Wilson, Rissling, Kosterman. The Rebels on the other hand had 12 iregulars in their line up.

The 1st was all Rebels - 18 to 5 shots and they were up 1 to 0. Holly was in net and made some big saves, but he likes to wander and handle the puck - a lot of giveaways by him and the team.

The 2nd and 3rd were more even.

I can't wait to see how the real team does.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 02:34 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen got the news today that Jimmy Bubnick will return from the Atlanta Thrashers camp. That's definitely great news.

Old
09-22-2010, 12:23 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen acquire Riley Reinbolt from the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Quote:
Calgary Hitmen General Manager Kelly Kisio announced today the acquisition of 19-year-old forward Riley Reinbolt from the Moose Jaw Warriors in exchange for a conditional seventh round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

Reinbolt, a native Calgarian, has spent his entire two year WHL career in Moose Jaw originally drafted by the Warriors in the sixth round of the 2006 Bantam Draft.
http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/...a-deal-with-mj

Old
09-25-2010, 01:05 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen lose the season opener 5-3 to the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Everything fell apart when the Hitmen went up 2-0. Not a great way to start the season.

Hitmen goals from Sylvester, Stebner and Kirsch.

Old
09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
travellingman345

Ouch 0 and 2 to start the season.

I only got to listen to the game vs Lethbridge on Radio. Calgary had it well under control with a 2 to 0 lead and a huge advantage in shots. Then they got into penalty problems and it sounded like some weak goaltending from Snider cost them the game.

4 to 0 loss vs Kootenay. Didn't hear about this one. I can't remember the Hitmen being shut out in the past 2 or 3 seasons. Holly was in net for this one.

I am happy to see that Mackenzie and Beach are back now. I hope this adds some spark to the team.

Kisio may have to make a move to get a little bit more scoring and possibly a goalie.

Old
09-27-2010, 06:20 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
Ouch 0 and 2 to start the season.

Yeah, it's been a rocky start to say the least. I miss Martin Jones already.

Quote:
I only got to listen to the game vs Lethbridge on Radio. Calgary had it well under control with a 2 to 0 lead and a huge advantage in shots. Then they got into penalty problems and it sounded like some weak goaltending from Snider cost them the game.

That, and some stupid costly penalties.

Quote:
I am happy to see that Mackenzie and Beach are back now. I hope this adds some spark to the team.

Yeah, it's good to see those two back. It can't, that's for sure.

Old
09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
travellingman345

Misha Fisenko just came back to the Hitmen.

Now 5 - 20 year olds in the mix. Stebner, Fiddler, Foucault, Aschim and Fisenko.

Not sure who they should keep, but they need some scoring. I am thinking Fiddler, Foucault and Fisenko??? I guess we will find out on 14OCT.

Of course my ideal 3 - 20 year olds would be - Jones, Kozun and Stone. Wishful thinking

Old
09-29-2010, 05:38 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Misha Fisenko just came back to the Hitmen.

That's huge! Great to hear.

Old
10-03-2010, 03:02 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Glad to see the Hitmen get that much needed first win of the season, dumpin' the Warriors 6-2. Great to have Beach back.

Old
10-04-2010, 10:15 AM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Glad to see the Hitmen get that much needed first win of the season, dumpin' the Warriors 6-2. Great to have Beach back.
It was a very good team effort. Beach and MacKenzie both made big impacts. The Power Play looked good. Overal I was quite impressed.

Bring on the Tigers !!

Old
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Bring on the Tigers !!

Hitmen win 5-2 vs. Tigers!

Goals from Bubnick (2), Kosterman, Kirsch and Sylvester.

Old
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
travellingman345

Hitmen and the Broncos are on Shaw tonight.

It should be a good game. SC is not a push over by any means - Eakin is a star.

If Calgary is on their game - we should win this one.

Foucault and Sylvester need to step it up a notch. They are minus players.

Mackenize has only played 2 games and he is a +7.

Old
10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Hitmen and the Broncos are on Shaw tonight.

It should be a good game. SC is not a push over by any means - Eakin is a star.

If Calgary is on their game - we should win this one.

Well that was some stinker. Nothing seemed to go right for the Hitmen.

Hopefully they're able to bounce back against the Winterhawks tomorrow night.

I miss Martin Jones.

Old
10-13-2010, 11:42 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen deliver an ass whoopin' in the form of a 5-1 win over the Portland Winterhawks. It's a shame the ref wasn't with it tonight as Bartschi's goal should not have counted and it should have been a shutout for Snider. Still, a big much needed win.

Goals from Foucault (2), Fisenko and Sylvester (2).

Old
10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen deal Stebner to Americans.

Quote:
Calgary Hitmen General Manager Kelly Kisio announced today the club has traded 20-year-old defenceman Zak Stebner to the Tri-City Americans in exchange for a third round pick in the 2011 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

The move reduces the Hitmen roster to a league maximum three overagers.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/...t-to-americans

That's too bad. I really liked Stebner during his time here. Wish him all the best.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:26 PM
travellingman345

It is too bad Stebner had to go. Unfortunately, they had to unload a 20 year old. At least they got a draft pick for him. They could have just let him go and got nothing for him in the process.

I was happy they beat up on Portland. Can they do the same to Everett tonight?? Seems like 2 different Hitmen teams this year. Either they play like total crap and get beat. Or they come out a play like gang busters and blow the other team out of the water.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:49 AM
travellingman345

The Hitmen were pounded by Spokane 8 to 1 last night.

Not sure what is needed to turn their season around. They seem to lack scoring and the desire to win. Too many holes that were filled by rookies this year???

It may be too early to panic - but perhaps a trade is needed for a proven scorer.

I am still not sold with the goaltending either.

This may be the dreaded rebuilding year - I hope not.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:54 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
The Hitmen were pounded by Spokane 8 to 1 last night.

Not sure what is needed to turn their season around. They seem to lack scoring and the desire to win. Too many holes that were filled by rookies this year???

It may be too early to panic - but perhaps a trade is needed for a proven scorer.

I am still not sold with the goaltending either.

This may be the dreaded rebuilding year - I hope not.

Yeah, last night was ugly. Too early to panic? I agree, but definitely good reason to be concerned. I too am not sold on the goaltending.

On a separate note, congrats to Mike Williamson, who will serve as an assistant coach to Ryan Huska during both Western Hockey League games next month as part of the six-game Super Series with Team Russia.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:08 AM
travellingman345

S.O.S. I am not jumping ship, but the Hitmen ship is sinking badly. I normally don't post like this but I need to vent a bit.

I bleed Hitmen colors , but this season has been utterly embarrasing. They seem to find ways of losing. Blowing leads, or just getting the crap kicked out of them. 7 to 2 loss to Chilliwack tonight. That just hurts.

They need a different goalie. Snider and Holly let in really soft goals. They don't even give their team a chance to win.

The 20 year olds, Fiddler, Foucault and Fisenko are invisible. How are the young guys supposed to get inspired when their leaders do nothing. Not that I don't respect him, but when Beach is your top player - something is really wrong with the team. What has happened to Bubnick. He had a couple strong games but is now do nothing as well.

Unless, Williamson can put a spark into the team or unless Kisio makes some big deals. The Hitmen are doomed this season.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
S.O.S. I am not jumping ship, but the Hitmen ship is sinking badly. I normally don't post like this but I need to vent a bit.

I bleed Hitmen colors , but this season has been utterly embarrasing. They seem to find ways of losing. Blowing leads, or just getting the crap kicked out of them. 7 to 2 loss to Chilliwack tonight. That just hurts.

They need a different goalie. Snider and Holly let in really soft goals. They don't even give their team a chance to win.

The 20 year olds, Fiddler, Foucault and Fisenko are invisible. How are the young guys supposed to get inspired when their leaders do nothing. Not that I don't respect him, but when Beach is your top player - something is really wrong with the team. What has happened to Bubnick. He had a couple strong games but is now do nothing as well.

Unless, Williamson can put a spark into the team or unless Kisio makes some big deals. The Hitmen are doomed this season.

I can't say I disagree with anything you said there. This season has been a gong show this far. Kisio needs to make some deals.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Man, when it rains, it pours. Another tough loss for the Hitmen tonight, 2-1 to the Medicine Hat Tigers. Good work ethic, but just couldn't score more than one.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
travellingman345

I just got back from Cranbrook and saw the Hitmen lose 5 to 2 to Kootenay.

The Hitmen for the most part looked really good.

But once again I thought it was the play of Snider that let them down. A couple of bad goals and all of a sudden you are losing. The team looks so dejected. There is effort there - but seems to be no killer instinct and the desire to fight back.

The season is no where finished yet, but something drastic needs to happen or this season will be a write-off.

Last edited by travellingman345: 11-08-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old
11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

The gong show continues. This season is lookin' more and more like a write off.

Kisio has his work cut out for him.

Old
11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Looks like Kisio has seen enough.

Struggling Hitmen pull five-player trade

Quote:
General manager Kelly Kisio sent veteran forwards Cody Beach and Mackenzie Royer east in exchange for 18-year-old forwards Nathan MacMaster and Danny Gayle, both of Calgary, and 18-year-old goaltender Brandon Glover.

"Who knows if we're done?" said Kisio of his team's chances of claiming a playoff spot. "This trade was based on adding some compete level and building for the next couple of years."
Quote:
And they may not be done dealing yet. Glover, who's marking his first full WHL season, gives the Hitmen three goaltenders and that means either returning veteran Michael Snider or rookie import Juraj Holly is probably going to be wearing a new jersey sooner or later.

Hopefully Holly is the next one shown the door, 'cause the dude just flat out sucks. Goaltending has been one of our major problems this year. I'm interested to see how Glover pans out.

I'll miss Beach, though. I'm a big fan of his. Good luck to him in Moose Jaw.

Quote:
"They're good solid players. Gayle and MacMaster work their butts off every night and I think that's something that's been lacking and maybe they can push some players to the next level."

^ I couldn't agree more.