HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookie Tournament/Camp thread

Old
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
GMofOilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec of Partying Down View Post
The Big 3 are supposed to be in Calder contention this year, so a guy who just cracked the AHL last year showing them up isn't going to look good regardless of his age.
So what if our other Oiler prospects show up this guy tonight? Does that same more about the rest of the Oilers prospects or how bad the flames prospects really are?

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
The Big 3 are supposed to be in Calder contention this year, so a guy who just cracked the AHL last year showing them up isn't going to look good regardless of his age.

No one cares, it's a rookie game. The majority of Oiler fans that actually show up to the regular season games probably won't even know the final score.

But yes, you're right, the Oilers are sitting their best players because they're afraid of Jon Rheault.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChipProspect View Post
If it's about image even a little, i think it would look bad very temporarily. Maybe a day or two and it would be forgotten.
It wouldn't give you pause if the Big 3 didn't perform well against Calgary's prospects? Who everyone on this site bashes all the time. Wouldn't it make you lessen your expectations? Now take the average fan, are they going to understand a defeat to a rival? It doesn't take much for the uninformed to be persuaded one way or another.

Sec of Partying Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
It doesn't matter. These kids are guaranteed rosters spots in camp. Management has a good idea of what they're working with. No suprises there. It gives them an opportunity to compare some of their other prospects against apples. Just like San Jose's lineup last night. Or wait they were afraid that the 24 year old phenom from Calgary was gonna show up there studs too. This tournament isn't about winning, it's mostly about comparing apples to apples and giving prospects an opportunity to state their case and demonstrate their current development stage.

Your theory is slightly self-loathing. Rheault will get shutdown tonight. Our defence is a world ahead of the one Cowtown played against last night.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
It wouldn't give you pause if the Big 3 didn't perform well against Calgary's prospects? Who everyone on this site bashes all the time. Wouldn't it make you lessen your expectations? Now take the average fan, are they going to understand a defeat to a rival? It doesn't take much for the uninformed to be persuaded one way or another.
All I'll say is that you greatly overestimate how much these games actually mean, as well as how much the "average fan" actually cares.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:36 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Quote:
It wouldn't lessen my expectations one iota. It's a rookie game where the "Big 3" are playing with pretty weak line mates (Besides Pitlick). I'm more pumped to see them with actually NHL talent like Gagner, Hemsky, Penner, Cogliano, Brule, etc, etc.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Are you baiting?

Old
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
So what if our other Oiler prospects show up this guy tonight? Does that same more about the rest of the Oilers prospects or how bad the flames prospects really are?
Calpuck will be bustling with how bad the Flames prospects are, yes. Flames depend on Iginla and Kipper to sell tickets. Not their prospects. The Oilers are dependent on Hall to sell tickets and create hype for the season. So the Oilers have much more to lose.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Are you baiting?
Do you guys fail to understand that your 3 most marketable assets are Hall, Eberle, and MPS? Even if it's just a rookie game, it has implications for the Oilers that it doesn't have for the Flames.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

We've all seen them dominate at this level. Paajarvi and Eberle both have had success professionally. MPS mostly. I can't wait to see the three play professionally. Watching them walk on the Flames prospects would be a joy. Too be pessimistic and think of them not performing is irrelevant and only stated to encourage negative response. I'd rather watch our less highly touted prospects take the play to them and showcase their skill-sets which we've heard and seen so little of.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
All I'll say is that you greatly overestimate how much these games actually mean, as well as how much the "average fan" actually cares.
It only means a lot for the Oilers. It would make headlines if Edmonton lost to Calgary with Hall in the lineup.

Old
GMofOilers

Quote:
Calpuck will be bustling with how bad the Flames prospects are, yes. Flames depend on Iginla and Kipper to sell tickets. Not their prospects. The Oilers are dependent on Hall to sell tickets and create hype for the season. So the Oilers have much more to lose.
No they really dont. They already preformed well against a better prospect team(canucks) and have one more game to do so. So I have no clue what your getting at?

Old
Bank Shot

Quote:
You guys should stop thinking that everything in the universe revolves around the Flames.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Do you guys fail to understand that your 3 most marketable assets are Hall, Eberle, and MPS? Even if it's just a rookie game, it has implications for the Oilers that it doesn't have for the Flames.
They have been marketed all off-season in case you weren't paying attention. Training camp will be packed. Those profits go in the Oil's back pockets. Further implications will be demonstrated in the main camp when these three play against men not your boys.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
It only means a lot for the Oilers. It would make headlines if Edmonton lost to Calgary with Hall in the lineup.
Well than it's your loss that you won't have the opportunity to parade. Imagine if you had your own top ten pick to talk about. Sutter prefers trading his most marketable asset for ends and pieces. I guess you still have Iggy pop.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:45 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
But they wouldnt so your talking out your @!!!

Old
09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
They have been marketed all off-season in case you weren't paying attention. Training camp will be packed. Those profits go in the Oil's back pockets. Further implications will be demonstrated in the main camp when these three play against men not your boys.
Exactly. They don't want anything to put a damper on the hype machine.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
But they wouldnt so your talking out your @!!!

You are helping my point. "They wouldn't lose, they couldn't possibly!" What if they did? It would mean very little long term unless a player played particularly awful, but for some it would be a disaster. You seem to be one of those people.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Eh this whole camp has zero implications other than being a nice little show case of these guys for any of the teams involved. It's pretty obvious that you are 'cleverly' trying to get a rise out of people.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Well than it's your loss that you won't have the opportunity to parade. Imagine if you had your own top ten pick to talk about. Sutter prefers trading his most marketable asset for ends and pieces. I guess you still have Iggy pop.
No need to attempt poorly to insult me. I haven't even said anything particularly critical of the Oilers in this thread.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Exactly. They don't want anything to put a damper on the hype machine.
That and these prospects have nothing left to prove at this level. They are doing the fans a favour by playing these three in the first place. It's not a concern of theirs whether they will perform or not. It's a choice to let other prospects showcase their skillset so they can guage their current development phase. It's narrow-minded to believe that these three are the only prospects in our system. They need to assess a range of other players before this tournament is over. We all know where these three are at.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:

You are helping my point. "They wouldn't lose, they couldn't possibly!" What if they did? It would mean very little long term unless a player played particularly awful, but for some it would be a disaster. You seem to be one of those people.
If your team beats our lesser prospects tonight come back and we will continue the conversation. Until then we are going by IF's or assuming. No logic really.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Why do you not have a * beside your name ?
And I think if Rehault doesnt go real deep in the Flames camp, its because Flames mgmt is afraid that he is going to make Iginla look bad, therby hurting Flames ticket sales.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
No need to attempt poorly to insult me. I haven't even said anything particularly critical of the Oilers in this thread.
Nothing other than baiting an unprovable suggestion that our top three prospects could possibly in the worst way not fulfill their expectations against another rookie squad.

Let's debate something that will never happen. Where did you think this would end up? Find another angle.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Why do you not have a * beside your name ?
And I think if Rehault doesnt go real deep in the Flames camp, its because Flames mgmt is afraid that he is going to make Iginla look bad, therby hurting Flames ticket sales.
I've been here forever because I'm not a troll. You insult my team when I haven't yours and I should be banned?

All I'm saying is the Oilers are protecting their assets from a risky situation. I didn't even say anything about the quality of Hall, Eberle, and MPS beyond implying that the Oiler prospects are given to beat the Flames.