HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I need your help

Old
09-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

vCash: 500
I need your help

Hey guys!

I'm from Germany and I'll be living in Canada for one year from April 2011 on. I'm currently playing roller hockey here in Germany and I really want to play hockey during my stay in Canada. I think it's the best way to spend free time and it's also the best way to get to know some people, since I'm totally new to the country. I can choose between Toronto and Vancouver and I'll make a decision soon.

Here in Germany it's very difficult to find a hockey team and you usually have to pay lots of money to play. (My team is about 80km [50 miles] away from my home) Moreover, there are no public places/teams where you can play hockey, you have to join a team and play in a league.

I have no idea about hockey in Canada, so I'd appreciate any information.

- Where do I find teams/places to play?
- Which level would I fit in? I'm not good at hockey but I'm not a total beginner.
- Is there an alternative to organized league hockey? (I think I read it once here)
- How much does it cost to play hockey? Any tendency?

I know that google would probably help me, too but I have no idea what to search for. (Any keywords I should search for?) Any help is appreciated!

I'm totally lost because Canada has so many opportunities to play hockey, while Germany is just a "hockey-desert" (except for three regions)

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:22 PM
HowToHockey

I live close to Toronto and I am not a big fan of the city. I would say as a tourist you will enjoy your time in Vancouver a lot more. I have been there a few times and it seems like there is more going on.

For hockey your best place to start is to call the local arenas and see what they have. Find a few open times when you can just drop in and play hockey. There will usually be about 15-20 guys that show up for shinny, so you can talk to those guys and see where you can play, and how to get on a team. That's it!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Nbr-17

I'm also in the Toronto area and am German.
If you end up going to Toronto give me a shout

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote