HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 08:54 PM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Highly skilled prospect. Leafs are lucky to have him, these are the type of picks that turn franchises around imo. Unlike Schenn his is upside is enormous.

Reminds of Brian Leetch. Love to have him in the habs system.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:01 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Highly skilled prospect. Leafs are lucky to have him, these are the type of picks that turn franchises around imo. Unlike Schenn his is upside is enormous.

Most Leafs fans would love to have Galchenyuk as well, so you guys didn't come out of that first round too badly either

Old
10-29-2012, 09:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post

I agree with u on Schenn, he was always over praised here. He was touted as a future captain. Schenn will always have mobilty issues and seems to get slower every year he has been in the NHL. Burke said he could have made the playoffs 2 years ago if he traded Schenn. Insert foot into mouth Burkie. Reilly is unreal and Gardiner is a joy to watch. The mobilty on the back end looks very nice moving forward. These guys think faster than most players out there and seem to plan things well ahead of time.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:08 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I agree with u on Schenn, he was always over praised here. He was touted as a future captain. Schenn will always have mobilty issues and seems to get slower every year he has been in the NHL. Burke said he could have made the playoffs 2 years ago if he traded Schenn. Insert foot into mouth Burkie. Reilly is unreal and Gardiner is a joy to watch. The mobilty on the back end looks very nice moving forward. These guys think faster than most players out there and seem to plan things well ahead of time.
Schenn was picked as the 'safe pick' and most people thought he had top pairing shutdown potential. Although his game isn't as flashy as Rielly's, Schenn's upside was thought to be very high on the defensive side.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:15 PM
mapes

He definitely was the safe pick. TBH I wanted to stay at 7 and draft Hodgson at that time. When we moved up I wanted Filatov though.. I just didn't like drafting a shutdown dman at 5. Better pick than Filatov in hindsight but also in hindsight, drafting Hodgson was best most likely.

But I haven't been this excited about a Leafs prospect since I became a fan (96 or so).

Old
10-29-2012, 10:00 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
He definitely was the safe pick. TBH I wanted to stay at 7 and draft Hodgson at that time. When we moved up I wanted Filatov though.. I just didn't like drafting a shutdown dman at 5. Better pick than Filatov in hindsight but also in hindsight, drafting Hodgson was best most likely.

But I haven't been this excited about a Leafs prospect since I became a fan (96 or so).
Rather have hodgson or JVR?

Old
10-29-2012, 10:13 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Schenn was picked as the 'safe pick' and most people thought he had top pairing shutdown potential. Although his game isn't as flashy as Rielly's, Schenn's upside was thought to be very high on the defensive side.
Fletcher and the Maple leafs fell in love with Schenn. They gave up a second and a third to move up from 7th to 5th. We missed out two studs thats for sure in Erik Karlsson at #15 and Jordan Eberle at #22. I even like Tyler Myers drafted #12 better than Schenn. Of course hindsight is 20/20. That first round was deep looking back at it now.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:57 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Fletcher and the Maple leafs fell in love with Schenn. They gave up a second and a third to move up from 7th to 5th. We missed out two studs thats for sure in Erik Karlsson at #15 and Jordan Eberle at #22. I even like Tyler Myers drafted #12 better than Schenn. Of course hindsight is 20/20. That first round was deep looking back at it now.
None of the players you mentioned were in contention for a top 7 selection though. You're right, hindsight is 20/20, because at the time Schenn was a definite top 5 selection and the Leafs traded up to get, what they believed to be, their hard-nosed, shutdown defenseman and future captain. It wasn't about them 'falling in love with him', but the fact that at the time he was seen as a top 5 player in the draft. Myers was seen has a huge wildcard and Karlsson wasn't talked about anywhere near the top 5, while Eberle would have been a shock to go anywhere before 20.

Schenn was the safe top 5 selection and was seen as having elite shutdown potential and bring strong leadership to the team for years to come. Unfortunately, his mobility regressed and with that went his overall play. He could still be a very good defenseman and at the time anyone with that 5th overall pick would have been crazy to not select him.

There is no way in hell any team would have selected Myers, Karlsson or Eberle in the top 6. It was almost set in stone that the top 6 would be Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosion, Pietrangelo, Schenn and Filatov in some order.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:39 AM
cookie
Fresh From The Oven

With Tyler Myers, I would think that his injury concerns were the reason why he dropped in ranking. He certainly would have gone higher if it weren't the case, but from what I recall, the injury was thought to be quite serious.
On another note, players shouldn't be dropping as much in their draft ranking nowadays compared to 10+ years ago, particularly due to the advances of modern medicine. But then again, for every Myers, there's an Esposito...

Old
10-30-2012, 06:24 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Rather have hodgson or JVR?
It's close either way.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:50 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post

I wanted Hodgson as well. I love two-way players, so he seemed like the complete package, if his offence could make an impact at the NHL levek.

If we were going to take a D, I wanted to trade down and get Myers. There were rumblings leading up to the draft that a lot of scouts were starting to think Myers should be in the "Big Four" D group, and his skill set was just so much more unique. Looked like he could have been a steal + we could have gotten another pick or two to trade down.

Id barely heard about Karlsson at that point... Damn Sens!

Old
11-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Ruah

Rielly update

Another assist last night for 20 points as top defenseman in Junior leagues.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 700
Quote:
None of the players you mentioned were in contention for a top 7 selection though. You're right, hindsight is 20/20, because at the time Schenn was a definite top 5 selection and the Leafs traded up to get, what they believed to be, their hard-nosed, shutdown defenseman and future captain. It wasn't about them 'falling in love with him', but the fact that at the time he was seen as a top 5 player in the draft. Myers was seen has a huge wildcard and Karlsson wasn't talked about anywhere near the top 5, while Eberle would have been a shock to go anywhere before 20.

Schenn was the safe top 5 selection and was seen as having elite shutdown potential and bring strong leadership to the team for years to come. Unfortunately, his mobility regressed and with that went his overall play. He could still be a very good defenseman and at the time anyone with that 5th overall pick would have been crazy to not select him.

There is no way in hell any team would have selected Myers, Karlsson or Eberle in the top 6. It was almost set in stone that the top 6 would be Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosion, Pietrangelo, Schenn and Filatov in some order.
I believe the Blues had Karlsson in their top 6.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Ruah

Conner Brown

I know this is a Morgan Rielly thread but what a steal the Leafs could have in Connor brown drafted in 6th round. Has 20 points playing for a crappy Erie Otters team.

Morgan Rielly, Matt Finn, Connor Brown, Dominic Toninato(tied for 7th in USHL) looking like great draft picks so far.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Sundinisagod
top 5 bound

Quote:

I think that Myers definately was in contention at 7, yes he was a wildcard but there were rumblings that he could go as high as 5th. What I find disturbing is that since Myers played jr with Schenn, you know the Leafs scouts saw just as much of Myers, yet they paid a 2nd and 3rd to move up 2 spots to take Schenn...I mean you don't even need a scouting staff to select Schenn at 5th, but taking Myers at 7 now that would have been some fine scouting imho.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Zathronas

I'm worried about Reilly's development, Toronto has a history of bad development (just like my habs) Some players can do it on their own, but a little help from the big club must be appreciated. I do hope Reilly pans out for you.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Keep it on topic this time

Old
11-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Ruah

re: Morgan Rielly

Would like to see what Morgan Rielly's points would be like if he had a better offence in front of him to convert his passes.

Rielly's just getting warmed up.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:31 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruah View Post
Would like to see what Morgan Rielly's points would be like if he had a better offence in front of him to convert his passes.

Rielly's just getting warmed up.
You'll get a good taste in December, and he looked pretty good against Russia.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:03 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I think that Myers definately was in contention at 7, yes he was a wildcard but there were rumblings that he could go as high as 5th. What I find disturbing is that since Myers played jr with Schenn, you know the Leafs scouts saw just as much of Myers, yet they paid a 2nd and 3rd to move up 2 spots to take Schenn...I mean you don't even need a scouting staff to select Schenn at 5th, but taking Myers at 7 now that would have been some fine scouting imho.
But Schenn was ranked to be a lot better than Myers. Who knows, maybe Myers doesn't work out here.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Watched his game last night against Hitmen and he played great even though he was held pointless last night in 2-1 loss and finished with a negative rating.

Best player from the Warriors side and was named 3rd star of the game.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:37 AM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruah View Post
Another assist last night for 20 points as top defenseman in Junior leagues.
He's actually tied for 5th with 3 others

Old
11-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
"Some teams had him as high as #5."

Pierre McGuire on Erik Karlsson

You're underestimating the fluidity in lists across 30 teams and how some teams probably saw limited upside in Schenn and some teams probably didn't rank the Russian as high as others.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:16 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
"Some teams had him as high as #5."

Pierre McGuire on Erik Karlsson

You're underestimating the fluidity in lists across 30 teams and how some teams probably saw limited upside in Schenn and some teams probably didn't rank the Russian as high as others.
People think the consensus is how everyone ranks guys. Every team has extremely different rankings.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post
He's actually tied for 5th with 3 others
That post was made last week. Thanks for the update.

Also, bust

Closed Thread