HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 10:33 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Cause hamiltons team last year wasn't light years beyond what Reilly's team is this year? Come on rielly is working alone compared to hamiltons star studded line up
Hamilton is the better prospect at this point..........…

If you wanna discuss them do it on the thread Hamilton vs Rielly. This thread should be about Rielly only. Not sure why mods let this thread become such a gongshow.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
being a neutral fan, the leafs fans bring alot of this on themselves.
I think you need to take the neutral out of that statement.

Rielly is exactly what the leafs need. Every since Kaberle left, the leafs needed a strong offensive defenceman that could become the source of the offence from the back end. Lyles isn't good enough for my liking, atleast not in a way that could keep up with the highed offensive dman in their division. Karlsson, Subban etc. Gardiner might be able to do it, but the creativity and playmaking ability of Rielly makes me believe he will be essential to the leafs offence and maybe instrumental in getting Kessel to and beyond 40 goals.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:17 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Quote:

If you wanna discuss them do it on the thread Hamilton vs Rielly. This thread should be about Rielly only. Not sure why mods let this thread become such a gongshow.
And yet you continue the gong show by starting your reply with "Hamilton is the better prospect"

Old
11-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:

Can you say contradiction?

Old
11-23-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Can you say contradiction?
Yes I did, my mistake

Old
11-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Stephen23

Article on Rielly: Joyce on Leafs: A look back at the Rielly pick
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...n_rielly_pick/

Quote:
Morgan Rielly's career with the Toronto Maple Leafs is theoretical at this point. Nonetheless, it started with a memorable moment.

This fall, neither Reilly nor anyone else has had a chance to skate at the Air Canada Centre. But just minutes after the Leafs drafted him fifth overall this past June in Pittsburgh, and he first donned the Blue and White up on the stage, GM Brian Burke pronounced that the Moose Jaw defenceman had been the top name on their list. As improbable as it sounds, the Leafs' No. 1-ranked player was still there with four picks gone.

It sounded like, well, bovine feces.

Rielly had missed practically the entire 2011-12 season with a torn ACL. NHL Central Scouting had him ranked as No. 5 among North American skaters based mostly on performances as an under-ager. That's who your first overall pick is? Really?

One top scout with one of the Leafs' Eastern Conference rivals said back in June:

"In his draft year I had seen Rielly at the Ivan Hlinka (the summer under-18s) and a league game before he went out with his injury. He was good at the Hlinka. He looked like a player. Did he show enough to be the first overall? No. I don't know that anybody could. I don't see how anyone could have him ahead of (Edmonton's No. 1 overall Nail) Yakupov based on such a small sample, especially with a question about an injury out there."

When I talked to Leafs’ head amateur scout Dave Morrison minutes after picking Rielly and apprised him of his boss' owning up to a draft score to end all draft scores, he seemed taken aback. Not to say it wasn't true. Maybe he had thought it was classified information at that point.

I thought then, and still believe, that telling the world -- especially the Toronto hockey market -- that you've landed the top player in the draft isn't the best first step in player development. Undue, or at least avoidable, pressure is at least a threat to a teenager's development. Historically, expectations in Toronto start at the unrealistic, so there's little sense inflating them. As one former NHL GM said: "It was just about the dumbest thing you could do and why Brian did it I don't know."

I sampled a few scouts this week and asked them a couple of questions:

1. Could Reilly have been on top of a team's list?

2. If there were a do-over of the draft, would Rielly move up based on his play this season and what seems to be a strong comeback from his ACL patch-up?

There seemed to be a split on question No. 1.

Said one Western Conference scout:

"I'd say Rielly might have been (the overall No. 1) for an organization based on what he had done before. I liked him more than Ryan Murray (the Everett defenceman who went No. 2 overall to Columbus). He has more upside, more play-making offensive ability. Murray will be a good player but the creative part of the game, that's Rielly's strength. Murray would be the sound defensive player who would allow a player like Rielly or Ryan Murphy to go do his thing. And I see Rielly as a better risk-reward bet than Murphy -- the upside with Rielly might be higher and there's less risk of him not being able to help you. I'd say No. 1 overall (for Rielly) is defensible."

Another Western Conference scout who had Rielly further down his list last June said: "I liked him but I would have had trouble taking him at No. 5, never mind No. 1."

I heard more of the skepticism about Burke's claimed ranking of Rielly rather than support, but if it's plausible to any other organization then it was plausible, period.

On question No. 2 there was something close to the consensus.

One representative scouting report from a western regional scout went as follows:

"(Rielly) has been really strong. He was great in the (Subway) series against the Russians and he's better and better as the season goes on. He's a great skater, right at the top of his class, and you get a sense that he's not 100 per cent back. That's going to take a full season. A lockout doesn't hurt him at all. The fact that he can play at this level as he builds the leg strength back up is better than trying to do it (in the NHL). Based on what he's done so far this season, I'd have him ahead of Murray. Significantly. If he was the Leafs' No. 1 overall on their list, I'd say congratulations, that's a good pick."

Brian Burke, please forgive me for ever doubting you. I still don't think you did Morgan Rielly any favours but, in these awful times, nobody stands to benefit from the NHL lockout more than the Leafs' first pick.

In fact, he might be the only one to benefit other than the lawyers.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Kulemon

"I'd have him ahead of Murray. Significantly. If he was the Leafs' No. 1 overall on their list, I'd say congratulations, that's a good pick."

That's coming from an NHL scout. Look at all the flak people get for saying anything similar on these boards.

But anyways, after watching him play and just looking at him.... He has first overall talent. I'll just leave it at that.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
"I'd have him ahead of Murray. Significantly. If he was the Leafs' No. 1 overall on their list, I'd say congratulations, that's a good pick."

That's coming from an NHL scout. Look at all the flak people get for saying anything similar on these boards.

But anyways, after watching him play and just looking at him.... He has first overall talent. I'll just leave it at that.
It's amazing how a few teams think they got the best player of the draft

That goes to show that the two highly ranked players that got hurt and missed most of the year, could have really made things interesting had they got to play the whole season. Who knows who would have gone number 1. It's all hypothetical obviously, but interesting for sure. Can't wait to see Rielly and all these high draft picks in action at the WJC.

Last edited by FrankMTL: 11-23-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old
11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
It's amazing how a few teams think they got the best player of the draft

That goes to show that the two highly ranked players that got hurt and misseed most of the year, could have really made things interesting had they got to play the whole season. Who knows who would have gone number 1. It's all hypothetical obviously, but interesting for sure. Can't wait to see Rielly and all these high draft picks in action at the WJC.
In a few years I see it being a three way race. Galchenyuk, Yakupov, and Rielly. Each time you get a viewing on each of these guys they stand out and you know you're watching a special player. It will be nice seeing them in the WJC but even better watching them in the NHL. Especially those Habs vs Leafs battles in the future. People could be arguing about who should have been picked higher for years, it would be even better if both became captains for their teams

Old
11-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
In a few years I see it being a three way race. Galchenyuk, Yakupov, and Rielly. Each time you get a viewing on each of these guys they stand out and you know you're watching a special player. It will be nice seeing them in the WJC but even better watching them in the NHL. Especially those Habs vs Leafs battles in the future. People could be arguing about who should have been picked higher for years, it would be even better if both became captains for their teams
Totally. From what I've seen (never Galchenyuk live), both are unreal players.

These two are definitely on my "excited to watch" list for World Juniors

Old
11-23-2012, 09:51 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Is Moose Jaw game televised today?

Old
11-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Stephen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Is Moose Jaw game televised today?
Yes, It will be broadcasted on Sportsnet.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:04 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Yes, It will be broadcasted on Sportsnet.
Thanks, should be a good test for Rielly up against some of the notable names on that Oil Kings team. Looking forward to seeing him for the first time

Old
11-23-2012, 12:11 PM
RogerRoeper*

Given the criteria of how "Franchise Players" are throw out here, Rielly I think deserves to be called a true blue chip prospect who's a future franchise player. I can't wait to see him in the running for multiple Norris trophies.

Life is good.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Given the criteria of how "Franchise Players" are throw out here, Rielly I think deserves to be called a true blue chip prospect who's a future franchise player. I can't wait to see him in the running for multiple Norris trophies.

Life is good.
I really liked Rielly. Will be seeing him play tonight. The Leafmania is starting to take the shine off of him though.

Dont make me hate Rielly Leaf fans!

Old
11-23-2012, 12:14 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Promise?

Old
11-23-2012, 12:17 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I really liked Rielly. Will be seeing him play tonight. The Leafmania is starting to take the shine off of him though.

My post was pure sarcasm BTW.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
My post was pure sarcasm BTW.
No it wasnt. But that's ok. Nice for Leaf fans to have something to be excited about.

I just wonder if his spirit will be crushed under all the pressure. Pretty hard place to play, even more so for a rookie.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:21 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
No it wasnt. But that's ok. Nice for Leaf fans to have something to be excited about.

I just wonder if his spirit will be crushed under all the pressure. Pretty hard place to play, even more so for a rookie.
Oh my god. I even explained myself in the first paragraph

Pure 100% sarcasm.

I was making a knock on the Hamilton hype the second the Bruins drafted him. You missed that.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:48 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Could be an ugly game for Moose Jaw, they have only won once in their past 10 games and are averaging less than 2 goals per game in that stretch.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Could be an ugly game for Moose Jaw, they have only won once in their past 10 games and are averaging less than 2 goals per game in that stretch.
Didn't they get dominated the last time they played Edmonton too?

Old
11-23-2012, 03:40 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Didn't they get dominated the last time they played Edmonton too?
Yeah, and Morgan didn't play as well as he usually does in that game.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:55 PM
topchowda

Did Rielly have a lingering injury from the SSS or is his team just shutting down completely. Only 2 points in November

Old
11-23-2012, 04:15 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
I know, but he ran into a net... That was my point. Im well aware it wasn't a concussion but pretty sure he hit his head regardless

You can dodge the purpose of my post in reminding us all gently that typically defenseman stay in front of the net not behind it
I don't understand? It was the offensive zone that he was in, he looked to have the defenders beat when he got pushed from behind into the OPPOSING team's net...

Old
11-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:

Honestly, you loving or hating him has nothing to do with how he will eventually turn out so idgaf.

Closed Thread