HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 07:25 PM
countrcultur

vCash: 500
I watched all three games in Edmonton and wasn't totally impressed with him.

The skating and offensive ability is as good as most people say but he cost his team a lot due to poor decision making. He carried the puck to long and made turn overs a lot. Any player with his style is going to turn the puck over some but too many times he skated right into coverage and had teammates waiting at the blue line. A lot of other examples. I wouldn't take him over Murray, dumba reinhart, trouba. As people here say, it's hard to teach hockey sense and I don't think he's as strong as the other top dmen in that aspect.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
arsmaster

There is a strong possibility that not playing in 5-6 months and stepping in against a team with 22 straight wins might have factored into that.

His hockey sense is better than Dumba's.

I wouldn't take him over Murray or Trouba, but I think he's the #3 defensman available.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrcultur View Post

The skating and offensive ability is as good as most people say but he cost his team a lot due to poor decision making. He carried the puck to long and made turn overs a lot. Any player with his style is going to turn the puck over some but too many times he skated right into coverage and had teammates waiting at the blue line. A lot of other examples. I wouldn't take him over Murray, dumba reinhart, trouba. As people here say, it's hard to teach hockey sense and I don't think he's as strong as the other top dmen in that aspect.
Not sure I agree with your assessment, but it is what it is.

I think he's got much better hockey sense than a guy like Dumba and maybe even Reinhart.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Not sure I agree with your assessment, but it is what it is.

I think he's got much better hockey sense than a guy like Dumba and maybe even Reinhart.
Agree to disagree. His skating and cross overs and passing and shooting touch are all at a really high level. He did way too many stupid things for my taste though. On the power play he glides into the corner gets double teamed and tries to carry it out of there basically gifting the clear to the kings. McIlrath was giving him **** a few times on the bench. In really important games a guy has to be smarter than he was.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:45 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:

Let's remember these guys are just kids and have a lot to learn still. Even a guy like Reinhart was exposed in that series at times, he had some very poor decision making. I didn't watch games 1 and 2 of that series. However I was able to catch games 3,4 and 5. I can't say I saw Rielly display poor hockey sense. I see him as a very smart hockey player. I'd without question take him over Dumba and Reinhart. Can't comment on Trouba but I'd definelty consider taking him before Murray.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Loved this kid since the beginning of the year. He definately has top pairing offensive defenceman potentail...

Old
05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Let's remember these guys are just kids and have a lot to learn still. Even a guy like Reinhart was exposed in that series at times, he had some very poor decision making. I didn't watch games 1 and 2 of that series. However I was able to catch games 3,4 and 5. I can't say I saw Rielly display poor hockey sense. I see him as a very smart hockey player. I'd without question take him over Dumba and Reinhart. Can't comment on Trouba but I'd definelty consider taking him before Murray.
I know theyre young. The reference point is each other mostly, and I'm just saying decision making wise I rate him below the rest of the top 4-5 guys.

He might be the best skater. He looked good skating coming off the layoff. Maybe it was the pressure but even that's a bad sign, just tried to do too much and carry the puck too long and hurt his team.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:04 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Agree to disagree. His skating and cross overs and passing and shooting touch are all at a really high level. He did way too many stupid things for my taste though. On the power play he glides into the corner gets double teamed and tries to carry it out of there basically gifting the clear to the kings. McIlrath was giving him **** a few times on the bench. In really important games a guy has to be smarter than he was.
That's amusing, since Rielly and McIlrath are on completely opposite ends of the hockey sense spectrum, what with McIlrath not having very much at all.

Seriously, Rielly was just back from a lengthy injury. I was very impressed with how well he played considering. I thought he was the best player on his team.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:46 AM
NeilYoung

Yeah Mcilraths hockey sense might be Dion Phaneufs compared to Rielly

And I like Rielly

Old
05-03-2012, 06:47 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

i suspect the Ducks might take Rielly with their pick at #6.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Countdown to DuckJet in 3...2...1...

Old
05-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Watched a Junior game for the first time yesterday (Oil Kings-Warriors) so I'll try and give a few observations. Stick with me if I'm wrong, I'm probably not good at scouting!

1. The difference in quality of play between the Junior Leagues and the NHL is huge. I have a whole new level of respect for prospects who can make the jump right away.

2. Watching him yesterday, I don't know how Rielly isn't a top 5 pick this draft. He was the best player on the ice.

3. Reinhart is reliable, but not as flashy as Rielly. Rielly reminds me of a sort of Keith/Doughty hybrid with his skating.
I'm not sure how being the best player on the ice in one game makes you a top 5 pick. Do you not think other prospects vying for the top five also have had nights when they're the best players on the ice?

Old
05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Countdown to DuckJet in 3...2...1...

Old
05-03-2012, 11:11 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I'm not sure how being the best player on the ice in one game makes you a top 5 pick. Do you not think other prospects vying for the top five also have had nights when they're the best players on the ice?
Rielly had a good playoff which has apparently caught the eye of the scouts, they seemed very impressed with what they saw and add to that the fact they were already impressed with his apparent talent, for me it wouldn't be a stretch if Rielly was taken at #6.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Surly Furious

So, does the guy look fully recovered enough to warrant a top 10 pick?

Old
05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
By all accounts his skating ability was real close to what it was pre-injury, if not right at the same level, so absolutely. He didn't lose his hands or hockey sense during the rehab.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
I only saw him live twice and once on tv but imo yes.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
By all accounts his skating ability was real close to what it was pre-injury, if not right at the same level, so absolutely. He didn't lose his hands or hockey sense during the rehab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I only saw him live twice and once on tv but imo yes.
That's good, because I think he'd be a great add for Minnesota.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Rielly had a good playoff which has apparently caught the eye of the scouts, they seemed very impressed with what they saw and add to that the fact they were already impressed with his apparent talent, for me it wouldn't be a stretch if Rielly was taken at #6.
Not exactly. He mostly caught the eye of scouts because he was remarkably good considering he was returning from injury.

Quote:
That's good, because I think he'd be a great add for Minnesota.
Not sure I agree. The Wild grabbed Brodin last year and Rielly is a somewhat similar player. If Rielly was right handed I might agree a bit more with you. In fact, I said they would draft Mathew Dumba in my mock a couple weeks back.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...ock-draft.html

Old
05-05-2012, 06:09 PM
TCJ

Quote:
Not sure I agree. The Wild grabbed Brodin last year and Rielly is a somewhat similar player. If Rielly was right handed I might agree a bit more with you. In fact, I said they would draft Mathew Dumba in my mock a couple weeks back.

The only similarity between them is that they're both great skaters and neither has ideal size. Rielly is the type that is going to bring the puck up himself and lead the rush into the offensive zone. Brodin is the kind of guy that will make a good breakout pass and disappear offensively. Reilly's biggest strength is Brodin's biggest weakness.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:07 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
The only similarity between them is that they're both great skaters and neither has ideal size. Rielly is the type that is going to bring the puck up himself and lead the rush into the offensive zone. Brodin is the kind of guy that will make a good breakout pass and disappear offensively. Reilly's biggest strength is Brodin's biggest weakness.
Agree to disagree I guess.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:54 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Not exactly. He mostly caught the eye of scouts because he was remarkably good considering he was returning from injury.

I don't really agree with the similar player statement for the same reason as TCJ, but that aside, Brodin apparently plays on the right side (despite being a left shot) so Rielly's left shot shouldn't be a major influence. Stylistically, Dumba would be a better match to pair with Brodin, but if either is on the board when the Wild pick, I don't think they can go wrong.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Just thought I'd pass along, heard Rielly's interview on Team1040 (VAN) the other day. He said his favorite team growing up was the Canucks and his favorite player was Matthias Ohlund.

06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Just thought I'd pass along, heard Rielly's interview on Team1040 (VAN) the other day. He said his favorite team growing up was the Canucks and his favorite player was Matthias Ohlund.
Well he's not dropping that far in the draft.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:30 PM
PuckInTheNards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Oof... that won't play well in St. Paul. The Lumberjack is persona non grata.

Closed Thread