HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2011 Pre-Draft Thread [Picks 16, 76, 106, 136, 166, 196]

Old
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

vCash: 500
I'd love to get a star center on this team..

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Featherbottom View Post
I'd love to get a star center on this team..
Doesn't Ennis play center? If my team had Roy-Ennis down the middle I'd be pretty happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Haha, I always remember Ambroz but I can never spell Puempel.
I don't know about that though, he'd really have to tear it up.
It'd help if he was on a better team, but even if he was, his size (or lack therefore of) will probably keep him out of the top 10.
Yeah, I think that will definitely affect his draft position. Anyone who gets him in the late first round, though, has a steal imo.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:41 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
Doesn't Ennis play center? If my team had Roy-Ennis down the middle I'd be pretty happy.
No, they've switched him over to LW.

Quote:
Yeah, I think that will definitely affect his draft position. Anyone who gets him in the late first round, though, has a steal imo.
Yep, it's the same as Jeff Skinner last year (although he wasn't drafted late, him at #7 was incredibly smart) and Ty Rattie this year.
From the looks of things, Rattie might be the purest scorer this year but he is a little small and his defensive game leaves a lot to be desired.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392
No, they've switched him over to LW.
How has Ennis looked, by the way? Was always a favorite prospect of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392
Yep, it's the same as Jeff Skinner last year (although he wasn't drafted late, him at #7 was incredibly smart) and Ty Rattie this year.
From the looks of things, Rattie might be the purest scorer this year but he is a little small and his defensive game leaves a lot to be desired.
Would also like to mention Rangers prospect Christian Thomas. 5'9, he's tearing up the OHL this year, with 11-9-20 in 13 games.

On the topic of Skinner, I was shocked to see him taken so high. I saw him going around 15-17, and was hoping the Rangers could snatch him up. Definitely a smart pick by Rutherford.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:49 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:

Would also like to mention Rangers prospect Christian Thomas. 5'9, he's tearing up the OHL this year, with 11-9-20 in 13 games.

On the topic of Skinner, I was shocked to see him taken so high. I saw him going around 15-17, and was hoping the Rangers could snatch him up. Definitely a smart pick by Rutherford.
he is my favorite player to watch, he roy and stafford. ennis makes a few rookie mistakes but i am going to take a patient approach. He has had to take on a bit too much responsibility to be honest. since we really don't have one line that has been consistently going. and when you don't have a lot of chemistry a good defense generally makes a player look bad

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:53 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
he is my favorite player to watch, he roy and stafford. ennis makes a few rookie mistakes but i am going to take a patient approach. He has had to take on a bit too much responsibility to be honest. since we really don't have one line that has been consistently going.
Good to hear. Ennis really impressed me at the end of last year. He's incredibly stealthy, he just appears out of nowhere and makes defenders look silly.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Good to hear. Ennis really impressed me at the end of last year. He's incredibly stealthy, he just appears out of nowhere and makes defenders look silly.
He hasn't really established himself in the league yet but with the right kind of teammates i really think he could open up a lot of passing lanes and whats nice about ennis is that he does have a nice shot. Its nice to hear something positive thanks! You have a player on your team that i respectfully admire and hate at the same time. i won't mention his name but he is very underrated.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:08 PM
jfb392

Quote:

He's looked better than most of our players.
The line I wanted him to play on has failed, but all of our lines have.
His production has been there, but he hasn't been spectacular and game-changing like he was at the end of last year.
That can probably be attributed to our team being so crappy.

He needs to stop the flashy stick handling and drags and shoot more.
It looks like he's over-thinking things, but the talent is definitely there.
It's just that the things he pulled off in the AHL don't work against guys in the NHL and he needs to learn that.

I don't see many junior games because I don't live in Canada, so I'm stuck with highlights and reports for the most part, but he's looking like he was a worthy 2nd rounder for you guys.
If he doesn't end up making his way into the 1st, a guy who could be just like him this year is Tobias Rieder from Kitchener.
Same thing with Sven Bartschi from Portland and Phillip Danault from Victoriaville.
I just get the feeling the crop in the 2nd round will be good this year.

And I knew Skinner would go top 10, along with Nino and Johansen.
They were ranked ridiculously low most of the time and I didn't understand it.
I definitely wouldn't have had a problem if any of them fell to us, but I knew it was unrealistic.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:48 AM
jfb392

If the draft started today, here's who we'd be drafting (he's #7 in white, by the way):

Old
11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
If the draft started today, here's who we'd be drafting (he's #7 in white, by the way):

If the draft started today, tomorrow, or in June....

Couturier is slick and smart. Stud. He'll put up pretty big numbers here this winter for Team Canada. Maybe he'll even talk to a few reporters....

Still, I can't see the Sabres finishing any worse than sixth form the bottom, basically guaranteeing no shot at landing him.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:31 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
If the draft started today, tomorrow, or in June....

Couturier is slick and smart. Stud. He'll put up pretty big numbers here this winter for Team Canada. Maybe he'll even talk to a few reporters....

Still, I can't see the Sabres finishing any worse than sixth form the bottom, basically guaranteeing no shot at landing him.
Well, I meant that if the draft started today, we would be drafting first overall.

Just thought it'd be appropriate to post the video since it's exactly what we want around here.
We can dream, can't we?

Old
11-05-2010, 09:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

On the Sean Couturier vs Ryan Nugent-Hopkins discussion, I'm leaning towards Nugent-Hopkins for now.

Stat lines as of today:

RN-H (Red Deer - WHL): 17 gp 3g 22a 25 pts [1.47 pts/go] 10 PIMs
SC (Drummondville - QMJHL): 22 gp 14g 19a 33 pts [1.5 pts/gp] 11 PIMs

Couturier will be the guy that people that want the Sabres to get bigger will favor as he has 3 inches and 15 to 20 pounds on Nugent-Hopkins.

Personally, I am leaning towards Nugent-Hopkins because of the talk that he has high level hockey sense and his vision and puckhandling ability is getting compared to Patrick Kane.

Couturier looks to be the better goal scorer. Nugent-Hopkins is more of a playmaker.

Couturier might be more responsible defensively.

Nugent-Hopkins led Canada in scoring at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament with 7 points in 6 games.

Couturier is good at the faceoff dot and his work ethic is getting solid reviews, as well.

If the Sabres season does go in the absolute tank, they likely won't go wrong with either kid. But, I tend to like prospects that see the game better, so for now, I'm on Team Ryan.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Well, I meant that if the draft started today, we would be drafting first overall.

Just thought it'd be appropriate to post the video since it's exactly what we want around here.
We can dream, can't we?
We can totally dream, and he is exactly what we want. I wasn't being a pud in my reply. While being thankful that the Sabres aren't trending towards 13th overall, I'm still pessimistic that they'll suck bad enough to get a lottery shot at the #1 overall pick.

I've watched plenty of Couturier and I've seen RNH three times already this year. Both are fantastic options, but given the past ten years of Buffalo Sabres history, I have a clear preference for the bigger, goal scorer down the middle. The most underrated part of Couturier is his two-way game (JB is accurate when saying SC is superior to RNH defensively). I have little issues with his hockey sense. He's been around the game his whole life. He has pro bloodlines with his father being an ex-pro and current GM in Bathurst...and really, he was the best player on the ice at Team Canada's summer camp on a line with Leblanc. I'm on board until someone takes it from him.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Gare Joyce at ESPN.com, RLR, and ISS all have Couturier as the early #1 guy.

But, I like was ISS says about RN-H with him moving up to #2 on their list:

Quote:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Red Deer Rebels
This ultra-skilled center has phenomenal offensive ability, and is blessed with exceptional acceleration. He uses his speed, vision, shiftiness, and creativity to his advantage all over the ice. Hopkins moving up ahead of Swedish d-men Adam Larsson in ISS Oct Rankings should be viewed more a case of Hopkins rising than Larsson falling. Truth is come draft day in June 2011, if the team selecting first overall is in need of an elite puck moving d-men, than Larsson is your man. However ISS Head Scout Ross MacLean just marvels at Nugent-Hopkins upside. Where Larsson matured early, Hopkins learning curve is still projecting upward, and the sky could be the limit with this kid. Nugent-Hopkins brings the complete package of qualities both on and off the ice. Excellent character and leadership qualities along with excellent puck-handling and playmaking ability
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2010/1...r-top-nhl.html

EJ McGuire on RN-H:

Quote:
"In my view, he is magic," said NHL Director of Central Scouting E.J. McGuire from the NHL offices in Toronto. "He sees the ice well. He's only got three goals this year, but that attests to his vision as a set-up man. He's a power-play quarterback and has the potential of being a star player. He's a top-five pick -- maybe top three."

Last edited by WhoIsJimBob: 11-05-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
We can totally dream, and he is exactly what we want. I wasn't being a pud in my reply. While being thankful that the Sabres aren't trending towards 13th overall, I'm still pessimistic that they'll suck bad enough to get a lottery shot at the #1 overall pick.

I've watched plenty of Couturier and I've seen RNH three times already this year. Both are fantastic options, but given the past ten years of Buffalo Sabres history, I have a clear preference for the bigger, goal scorer down the middle. The most underrated part of Couturier is his two-way game (JB is accurate when saying SC is superior to RNH defensively). I have little issues with his hockey sense. He's been around the game his whole life. He has pro bloodlines with his father being an ex-pro and current GM in Bathurst...and really, he was the best player on the ice at Team Canada's summer camp on a line with Leblanc. I'm on board until someone takes it from him.
Yep, his size and defensive game are what make me prefer him right now.
Regardless of RNH's upside (which I appreciate), we need size and a good two-way center.
I don't know if we'll have a shot at the lottery or not, but things could collapse pretty quickly for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Gare Joyce at ESPN.com, RLR, and ISS all have Couturier as the early #1 guy.

But, I like was ISS says about RN-H with him moving up to #2 on their list:
I really don't think RNH will pass either Couturier or Larsson because of his size, but whoever gets him, even if it's at 3, is most likely getting a steal.
It'd be nice, but I don't think I'd want to go with the small guy if we had the opportunity.

Old
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
RNH at 3 might be akin to LaFontaine at 3 in '83 for the Isles. Granted, not that Larsson or SC are going to be Lawton/Turgeon.....

11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Yep, his size and defensive game are what make me prefer him right now.
Regardless of RNH's upside (which I appreciate), we need size and a good two-way center.
I don't know if we'll have a shot at the lottery or not, but things could collapse pretty quickly for us.

I really don't think RNH will pass either Couturier or Larsson because of his size, but whoever gets him, even if it's at 3, is most likely getting a steal.
It'd be nice, but I don't think I'd want to go with the small guy if we had the opportunity.
The big thing to me is that the size thing should only be a tie-breaker.

For instance, I would have been ticked if the Sabres had the #1 pick in 2007 and took JVR over Kane due to the size issue.

At 1st overall, I want the guy that has the best shot at being a franchise #1 offensive center.

Now if you were to value SC's goal scoring over RN-H's playmaking ability........

Old
11-05-2010, 03:42 PM
glassjaw*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
On the Sean Couturier vs Ryan Nugent-Hopkins discussion, I'm leaning towards Nugent-Hopkins for now.

Stat lines as of today:

RN-H (Red Deer - WHL): 17 gp 3g 22a 25 pts [1.47 pts/go] 10 PIMs
SC (Drummondville - QMJHL): 22 gp 14g 19a 33 pts [1.5 pts/gp] 11 PIMs

Couturier will be the guy that people that want the Sabres to get bigger will favor as he has 3 inches and 15 to 20 pounds on Nugent-Hopkins.

Personally, I am leaning towards Nugent-Hopkins because of the talk that he has high level hockey sense and his vision and puckhandling ability is getting compared to Patrick Kane.

Couturier looks to be the better goal scorer. Nugent-Hopkins is more of a playmaker.

Couturier might be more responsible defensively.

Nugent-Hopkins led Canada in scoring at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament with 7 points in 6 games.

Couturier is good at the faceoff dot and his work ethic is getting solid reviews, as well.

If the Sabres season does go in the absolute tank, they likely won't go wrong with either kid. But, I tend to like prospects that see the game better, so for now, I'm on Team Ryan.
Sounds like Couturier is exactly what we need.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post
Sounds like Couturier is exactly what we need.
Agreed 100%.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Loungie

Sooo...Lottery pick this year?

Yes i know its early in the year and all but... do you think this is a year we'll get the #1 or a top 3 pick?

What would you do to turn this around? I would bench Connolly cause his play has just been plain attrocious along with Rivet.

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMyersxX View Post
Yes i know its early in the year and all but... do you think this is a year we'll get the #1 or a top 3 pick?

What would you do to turn this around? I would bench Connolly cause his play has just been plain attrocious along with Rivet.
I think top 3, and thank god for it.
I am so hoping for the 1st overall, but top 3 is good.
As the change over happens in the roster and the next era of young Sabres come in (i.e. Myers, Ennis, Adam, Kassian) I think a very nice piece of that group could come from this up coming draft.

Hell, if we trade a few components (i.e. Stafford, Connolly, Vanek, Roy, Pomminville) we could have a hell of a draft.

But I am not familiar with this years draft class depth. If anyone can fill us in on it with some interesting names.........................

static80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Obviously way too early, but I think that the Couturier-Hopkins debate depends on what the team plans to do after this year. With a slight rebuild, Couturier would be a better fit as an immediate impact player, whereas with RNH likely isn't in the NHL next year, and with a complete overhaul they could be patient with his development.

Also, lets say Regier still has a job and we pick third with both the forwards off the board, does Darcy abandon his whole anti-European thing from the past few years and take Larsson? Or does he go to Murphy (Who may pass Larsson as the #1 dman with his insane start) or go for someone else?

Of course, they'll likely go on a run and finish with the thirteenth pick, making this whole dreaming for a high pick stuff moot.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:27 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...aft&id=5765414

Quote:
Sean Couturier, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)

Skating: A
Hands: A
Size: A+
Hockey Sense: A-
Two-way Play: B

Back in the old, trap-happy dead-puck era, the thinking used to be you couldn't win without a franchise defenseman in the mold of Chris Pronger or Scott Niedermayer or, as was the case in Anaheim, both. That thinking has changed, and now high-scoring forwards are seen as essential. The leading scorer in the Q last season at age 17 (41 goals and 55 assists), Couturier projects as a franchise player in this class. Added bonus: Couturier can be projected at center and right wing, though playing him in the middle is the likely way to go. Working against him: The surrounding talent in Drummondville isn't that strong, thus linemates don't finish chances that he creates and opponents can key on him, which may explain why his numbers could end up being down compared to last year. Interesting side note: Couturier's father, Sylvain, is now the GM of Q league rival Acadie-Bathurst.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Red Deer (WHL)

Skating: A
Hands: A+
Size: B
Hockey Sense: A+
Two-way Play: A

Nugent-Hopkins is a little more creative with the puck (hands and vision) than Couturier and might get higher marks for his hockey sense. Many scouts ranked his Ivan Hlinka tournament right up there with the two best in the past (Rick Nash and Jonathan Toews). Feisty but smart, Nugent-Hopkins won't back down from defenseman who try to run him and he's almost fearless going to the net. Although he is smaller than Couturier, (6-foot-4, 200 pounds, vs 6-and-a-smidgen, 170) and Couturier is seen as more dynamic physically and athletically, more than a couple of scouts like Nugent-Hopkins over Couturier.
It's interesting that they have RN-H's two way play as better than SC's.....

Old
11-06-2010, 06:27 PM
jfb392

I don't know where they are getting those two-way play ratings, but I've seen Couturier's two-way play compared to that of Jordan Staal.
It's probably just the classic underrating of Q players and overrating of WHL players.

Old
11-07-2010, 12:48 AM
jfb392

RNH scores his first goal in over a month and 2/3 of his previous total in one game as he scores two vs. Tri-City.
He also added an assist and is now up to 29 points in 19 games.