HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question from a visiting fan about driving to Toronto

Old
09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
still life

vCash: 500
Question from a visiting fan about driving to Toronto

Hey. Just thought I'd drop by to ask your thoughts about this. I'm probably going to be taking a road trip to the Toronto area to see a friend of mine sometime in the coming months and I thought I'd catch another hockey game while I'm there. This is what I did, as a Flyers fan, back in January of this year the last time I went to visit my friend. It was a fun experience, even though the Flyers lost pretty badly. I flew from Philadelphia to Toronto back then, but really I can't afford to fly again this year and I think it would be more manageable cost-wise if I just drove. I would want to go to the Flyers @ Leafs game in March, which is on a Thursday and right before spring break, so I'd only have to miss Thursday's classes if I leave Wednesday. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to do a road trip like this in the winter months, because it's still winter then. Like, what are the chances of some real ugly snowstorm getting in the way? (Even a smaller amount can be a nuisance though as I am very well aware of. And we had so much snow here in Jersey last winter and it really messes with the roads, but the Turnpike wasn't that bad.) If I decide not to do this, I'd probably just visit my friend sometime next month and forget about the hockey game. I can't afford two trips in such a short time period.

BTW, on a totally unrelated note, as a non-Leafs fan, I wish your team the best of luck. I really do because the city of Toronto deserves a better team.

still life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:01 PM
darty

There's always a chance of snowstorms in March... I'm afraid no one here can tell you how the roads will be at that time. Just act Canadian and brave that ****.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:10 PM
The Messenger

You will have much worse snow problems in the Buffalo area than here in Toronto. Toronto for some reason doesn't get much snow compared to areas around us.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
You will have much worse snow problems in the Buffalo area than here in Toronto. Toronto for some reason doesn't get much snow compared to areas around us.
Lake effect. The winds come and then over the lake change direction dumping a ton of snow on Buffalo.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Incognito

To be honest up until mid-April, the weather here is a total crap-shoot. I've heard that we are supposed to be getting a cold, dry winter this year, but this city can get blasted pretty heavily with the white fluffy stuff on any given day throughout the cold season. Good luck with your trip, I hope it all works out for you.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:11 PM
thehockeysong
BJ elitist

march is usually fine for driving. it's only going to come down so heavy at that point in the year. the ground should start getting warming, meaning massive snowbanks [should] be out of the equation. A little flurry in the air is no worries except in toronto, where people that have recently moved to canada seem to seize at the wheel when a snowflake lands on the ground.

thehockeysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:17 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by still life View Post
Hey. Just thought I'd drop by to ask your thoughts about this. I'm probably going to be taking a road trip to the Toronto area to see a friend of mine sometime in the coming months and I thought I'd catch another hockey game while I'm there. This is what I did, as a Flyers fan, back in January of this year the last time I went to visit my friend. It was a fun experience, even though the Flyers lost pretty badly. I flew from Philadelphia to Toronto back then, but really I can't afford to fly again this year and I think it would be more manageable cost-wise if I just drove. I would want to go to the Flyers @ Leafs game in March, which is on a Thursday and right before spring break, so I'd only have to miss Thursday's classes if I leave Wednesday. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to do a road trip like this in the winter months, because it's still winter then. Like, what are the chances of some real ugly snowstorm getting in the way? (Even a smaller amount can be a nuisance though as I am very well aware of. And we had so much snow here in Jersey last winter and it really messes with the roads, but the Turnpike wasn't that bad.) If I decide not to do this, I'd probably just visit my friend sometime next month and forget about the hockey game. I can't afford two trips in such a short time period.

BTW, on a totally unrelated note, as a non-Leafs fan, I wish your team the best of luck. I really do because the city of Toronto deserves a better team.
www.almanac.com/weather

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Tequila Stud

Snow? You're worried about SNOW?

I'd be worried about the four thousand 53' trucks trying to box you in on the 401. Or the little old lady driving her Suzuki Swift and cannot see over her dashboard as she merges onto the QEW with her highbeams on.

Whatever you do, take the QEW to the 407 to your buddy's place.

Tequila Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:58 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
Lake effect. The winds come and then over the lake change direction dumping a ton of snow on Buffalo.
If he's driving from Philadelphia though he will probably be going through the Peace Bridge or through Fort Erie which is right around Buffalo. Like others have mentioned, the weather in March is often a total crapshoot. It could be sunny but you could also be stuck in a snowstorm.

The good news is that the roads should be pretty good especially if your going through the Peace Bridge (Niagara Falls). Rural roads are usually the worst when bad weather hits and while you probably will have to travel them in the US, aside from the stretch between St. Catherines and Hamilton, you won't really have to deal with them in Canada. The Burlington Skyway could be closed if high winds or a real bad storm hits so be aware and prepare an alternate route around that in case its needed. Even still, be prepared and definitely know your limit. If your too tired, find a place to get some rest.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
VRangers27

Real hard to say, it varies, but i can tell you last march during the spring break I was downtown in shorts.

VRangers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:34 AM
still life

Quote:
You're right. I just checked the climate charts on Wikipedia and the difference is indeed rather substantial, which is quite counterintuitive for two cities so close to each other. Of course, that area is of concern too as I would indeed need to drive through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila Stud
Snow? You're worried about SNOW?

I'd be worried about the four thousand 53' trucks trying to box you in on the 401. Or the little old lady driving her Suzuki Swift and cannot see over her dashboard as she merges onto the QEW with her highbeams on.

Whatever you do, take the QEW to the 407 to your buddy's place.
Oh, don't get me wrong. That's the kind of stuff I am most worried about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD
www.almanac.com/weather
Interesting site. It says the prediction for winter is for it to be cold and dry, which is also what Incognito said. The long-range weather forecasters were saying we'd get snowy winter last year, and they were right about that. But that's about as useful as such a long-term prediction can be. But I'll take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehockeysong
march is usually fine for driving. it's only going to come down so heavy at that point in the year. the ground should start getting warming, meaning massive snowbanks [should] be out of the equation. A little flurry in the air is no worries except in toronto, where people that have recently moved to canada seem to seize at the wheel when a snowflake lands on the ground.
Yeah, light snow is not something I feel too uncomfortable driving in. I can go on the internet and look up the average number of snowy days for a particular location at a particular time of the year, but what exactly constitutes a snowy day? It can run the gamut from a few flurries here and there for part of the day, to a day-long onslaught of heavy snow, low visibility, and powerful winds.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, guys.

still life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Just FYI, 407 is a toll highway but it's often mostly empty.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
You're right. I just checked the climate charts on Wikipedia and the difference is indeed rather substantial, which is quite counterintuitive for two cities so close to each other. Of course, that area is of concern too as I would indeed need to drive through it.

Oh, don't get me wrong. That's the kind of stuff I am most worried about.

Interesting site. It says the prediction for winter is for it to be cold and dry, which is also what Incognito said. The long-range weather forecasters were saying we'd get snowy winter last year, and they were right about that. But that's about as useful as such a long-term prediction can be. But I'll take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, light snow is not something I feel too uncomfortable driving in. I can go on the internet and look up the average number of snowy days for a particular location at a particular time of the year, but what exactly constitutes a snowy day? It can run the gamut from a few flurries here and there for part of the day, to a day-long onslaught of heavy snow, low visibility, and powerful winds.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, guys.
By March your usually good, we get 1 more snow fall usually in March, but for the most part its not bad at all.

Driving in snow isn't hard either, just don't change lanes too often if there is a lot of snow, because it piles up between lanes and sucks when you have to cross over it.

The hiway for the most part is plowed and snow removed quickley.

The 407 is good, but can be expensive... if your going down the QEW to 401 there are optimal times to hit it... for instance I suggest if you enter into Canada from Buffalo\Fort Erie and make it here at 8am, you will be fine because it will be 930am-10ish am by the time you get to Toronto and most hiway traffic has died down a lot by than...

From 9:30am- 3pm ish is a decent time... after 3pm to about 7 or 7:30pm... DO NOT go into the city it will be hell.

If I go to Toronto I usually leave St. Catharines area at about 8am-830am for an all day thing. At night I usually leave at 5pm-7pm (give myself 2 hours... its a 45 min drive, but traffic can be unpredictable)

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Man Bear Pig

No one drives in Toronto, there's too much traffic.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
another idea would be to go to their forums and ask their members about weather and not come here and clutter the board with this drivel

ill even point you where to go

http://www.almanac.com/forums/weather-forum

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM
hockeysense*

I wouldn't worry too much about travelling to Toronto in the winter months if you're coming to the city on a weekend. My advice is to traverse on the 401 and then connect to the 403. You'll likely get a better flow of traffic on a week night/weekend if you're going INTO the city. You can connect to the Gardiner which will take you directly downtown to Toronto.

As a Leafs fan, I have a few buddies who are Flyers' fans from Toronto, but two of them are in Philadelphia for work. Always a pleasure watching a game with them. Cheers.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote