HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #1 - Leafs vs Blackhawks

Old
09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Even when that happens, Lebda and Finger will be the first people called upon. Do you really think hes going to not use depth guys who are making $1.45M and $3.5M a season?
If someone gets injured for, say, a month, I don't see a probelm with putting them in there for a game or two.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
Kadri scares me.

It's just one game, but from what we've seen he's still doing the things that will hold him back and make him relatively useless in the NHL. Not playing with his teammates.

He reminds me kind of grabo, although he's a bit grittier. Tries to be too flashy, rarely uses teammates, and ends up turning the puck over a lot.

He has a lot to learn. Hopefully it happens quick.
Lol some of the expectations on Kadri around here is absolutely ridiculous.

He wasn't even that bad, in fact I'd argue he was good. He created a few scoring chances, made a few hits, drew a penalty, did decent on fore-check and like EVERY other young player, he got carried away at times and turned over the puck trying to do something flashy (wow, must be shocking, I guess creative players don't do that often huh?). He wasn't out of place defensively but what he needs to do is take shorter shifts so he doesn't run out of gas and make a bonehead play. He'll cut down on turnovers eventually as he gets more experience but that's what you get when you have a flashy player.

Mueller, Olden and D'Amigo impressed me the most IMO. Mueller was just solid, showed top 6 potential, fore-checked well and played physical, created a few scoring chances and just played solid overall. Olden disappeared towards the end but the raw skills are there. Excellent speed and having a 6'4 frame helps. He just needs to fill out that lanky body of his. D'Amigo is actually very strong, kind of like how Mike Richards is. Short but built well and he showed it. He wasn't easy to get knocked off the puck and showed good speed, fore-checked well and created some solid scoring chances and he scored a goal!

From defense Gysbers was impressive, perhaps because I didn't know him much. Played a solid all-around game. Holzer was a little off early but really settled down and ended up playing a great game overall. Blacker was probably the best IMO. He showed those raw skills, he can hit hard, he is an excellent skater, got great hands and handle the puck well and made some good defensive plays. However, he was out of place defensively at times.

I was impressed with Rynnas towards the end. Maybe he was just nervous early on but he settled down. He is slightly less polished than Gustavasson and he'll have time in AHL to work on that. No need to rush him but he does have the potential to become a starter, eventually.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Quik
Agent 0091

I think the people who are criticizing Kadri and starting to question his future based on one game they've seen is hilarious. Everyone's been billing him as the saviour of this franchise, expecting nothing less than 100 points and carrying the team on his back, of course he's not going to meet anyone's expectations.

The kid, let me repeat that, the kid will be a good player in the NHL, maybe it's not this year, but, and I say this knowing full well it's still going to happen with this fan base, you can't hold him responsible for not being ready. As much as we may hope and wish he's ready, it has been 15 months since his draft, not many players are ready to be full-season NHLers at this point in their development, let alone star players.

I just hope that, if he does make the team, it's based on his own merits, not because RW and BB feel obligated to do so after all this talk (though, BB never really goes with popular opinion, does he?). If they just hand him a spot, or even if he's a fringe decision, I'll say it now: "LeafsNation" will turn on him and he'll be tossed along with all the other ruined prospects.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
If Kadri wasn't so hyped he would be getting better reviews. He clearly showed above average skill and was very good in the 1st. He hung on to the puck too long a few times, and should have tried to pass to Mitchell on that 2 on 1, but he was trying to impress and went for the fake, but the Goalie read the play. If he scores on that, he's a hero.

anyways...

Gysbers, Mueller, and Olden were my 3 stars.

Gysbers quietly led the team, some smooth breakouts and basically took care of his end while advancing the puck well. Played well on the PP. Impressed more with his calmness under the spotlight.

Mueller got better as the game went on. He read the play well, got into traffic areas, blocking passes, made some solid hits, good little offensive bursts and played a good 2 way game. He wasn't flashy, but he plays a style that will get more and more appropriate (and appreciated by the coach) when he gets a try out at the NHL level.

Olden is very young but I was very impressed with him. He has some obvious natural talent and in 3 years if he fills out (will probably grow another inch or so too), he could be dominant.

Most of the guys turned in fair to good performances, but for such a big team, I was expecting some more hits. Just happy to be talking about a game again.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:51 PM
BozakMyProzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
Gysbers did play really well, although I watched without sound so I dunno how to even pronounce that one.

Kadri was good nuff. He wasn't bad, just didn't stand out all that much... offensively. One beauty hit in the first. Drew a penalty. Could use that on the big squad.
kadri looked like he was trying to do to much out there. but hey who wouldent if they where playing in T.O.

BozakMyProzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Skim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Injuries, bro.
Exactly, its a long season. I'm sure at LEAST one of those 4 will get some time in the NHL... likely 2 or maybe even 3 of them.

Skim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drakkor

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Carrick. I thought he played solid.

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I'm not too worried about Kadri, I think he should be played on the wing though, dangling centres don't usually work out.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:55 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Even when that happens, Lebda and Finger will be the first people called upon. Do you really think hes going to not use depth guys who are making $1.45M and $3.5M a season?
Gunnarsson played ahead of Finger and Exelby last season. Is your name supposed to be ironic?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:55 PM
BozakMyProzac

Quote:
I'm not too worried about Kadri, I think he should be played on the wing though, dangling centres don't usually work out.
ever heard of Pavel Datsyuk?

BozakMyProzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Gunnarsson played ahead of Finger and Exelby last season. Is your name supposed to be ironic?
Thats not saying much, but now for a guy like Holzner to take a roster spot, do you really see him taking a job from one of the top 6? I sure as heck don't.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by the play of Olden, the kid looks to be a keeper. The goalie played an excellent game as well, he was clearly the difference in the game making some difficult saves that his Blackhawk counterpart could not.

I don't get the Kadri comments, I've seen him play a lot and he looked pretty good to me. I honestly think the hype machine has done a number on the fans who criticized his game tonight, he's not a superstar who is going to dominate this tournament. Getting criticized for being unspectacular tonight says more about the unfair expectations on the kid than it does about his quality of play. He was great on the forecheck, showed some great speed and was making things happen. Hogging the puck isn't really a surprise to anyone familiar with him, that has always been a criticism of his game and isn't anything new.

If anything tonights game should make the chicken littles who cried about giving up Paradis and Didomenico for Versteeg think twice about their belly aching. Both players were average for the Hawks, and the Leafs had plenty of players who performed better than they did. No big loss at all.
I only got to watch the 3rd period...But I thought Dido was thier best player...but BOB McGILL and the and the other announcer did state that DIDO was in fact the best player for the Hawks...there goes you're theory!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I think "delusional" might be a better description.
A Leafs prospect turning into something great is far fetched, right?

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
mooseOAK*

Yeah, DiDomenico played quite well. Good to have the prospect depth to make those sorts of trades.

Old
09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
naturalnumbas

Quote:
I'd like to see how he'd do centring Kessel. With the amount of attention Kessel gets, it should open some space up for Kadri to be shifty, and Kessel needs someone who is able to carry around/feed the puck. Could work well.

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
I'd like to see how he'd do centring Kessel. With the amount of attention Kessel gets, it should open some space up for Kadri to be shifty, and Kessel needs someone who is able to carry around/feed the puck. Could work well.
I dont think it would work well IMO. Kadri likes to hog the puck and try to stickhandle through players rather then pass it. Kessel needs a guy who is unselfish and willing to dish the puck to him. Kadri is neither of those things.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
malliabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricTicker View Post
You must have been watching a different game than me. Tons of rebounds, lost the puck a number of times and awkward positioning add up to a very raw looking goalie.
So.....exactly like Gustavsson looked early last year?

malliabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:05 PM
sda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I only got to watch the 3rd period...But I thought Dido was thier best player...but BOB McGILL and the and the other announcer did state that DIDO was in fact the best player for the Hawks...there goes you're theory!
Dido was one of the Hawks best players and that should be no suprise to anyone. Burke has a plan for this team and wants players that can skate better than Dido so it is no surprise that he was moved. tonite the Leafs were the better skating team and this shows the direction that Burke wants to take this team

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Rainman2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
That Crescenzi guy was great, he was hitting everything. What's his story?

Ya first I heard of him but he deffinately got my attention. Liked what I saw of him alot. Looking forward to watching him through this tourny.

Mueller stood out to me alot too. Hopefully he always plays with that intensity.

Rainman2408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:07 PM
TMLeafer
Komarov the Gaul

Quote:
I dont think it would work well IMO. Kadri likes to hog the puck and try to stickhandle through players rather then pass it. Kessel needs a guy who is unselfish and willing to dish the puck to him. Kadri is neither of those things.
Kadri has 2x the assists than goals in his past few OHL seasons. Quite the hog.

Get over it. Same overreaction in every thread.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by malliabu View Post
So.....exactly like Gustavsson looked early last year?
Yup but I think he is a little more raw.

Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
A big part of Kadri's game is dishing the puck off, what were you watching?

Old
sda

Jussi was ok but an NHL goalie has to be consitently good. The AHL will be a proving ground for all of the young goalies that the Leafs have.

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
WTF? That is unselfish. You don't want a center to ever stickhandle his way in and create some space and then pass it? Ya you know... Bozak clearly never did that.

Kadri is not a scorer, he is a dangler/playmaker which works well with Kessel. Unlike Bozak, Kadri can draw more defenders towards because of his ability to carry the puck like he can and handle it through defenders, not to mention he does have a pretty good shot and that is exactly what you want with Kessel. Create some room and dish it off to him... pretty sure Kessel would do the same thing for him at the right opportunity.

Old
09-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Ratboy
Tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
Kadri scares me.

It's just one game, but from what we've seen he's still doing the things that will hold him back and make him relatively useless in the NHL. Not playing with his teammates.

He reminds me kind of grabo, although he's a bit grittier. Tries to be too flashy, rarely uses teammates, and ends up turning the puck over a lot.

He has a lot to learn. Hopefully it happens quick.
I agree with this. A lot of skill, I'm just worried about what's between the ears..

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote