HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #1 - Leafs vs Blackhawks

Old
09-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
WTF? That is unselfish. You don't want a center to ever stickhandle his way in and create some space and then pass it? Ya you know... Bozak clearly never did that.

Kadri is not a scorer, he is a dangler/playmaker which works well with Kessel. Unlike Bozak, Kadri can draw more defenders towards because of his ability to carry the puck like he can and handle it through defenders, not to mention he does have a pretty good shot and that is exactly what you want with Kessel. Create some room and dish it off to him... pretty sure Kessel would do the same thing for him at the right opportunity.
To be a playmaker you gotta pass the puck. Just saying.

Also Bozak was the only centre who created much of anything for Kessel to work with last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out as the better overall player when compared to Kadri.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Team First

...well you (anyone) fly over to Sweden, climatize for a couple of days, and then play your first game in a new country. Holy smokes, let him get some time under his belt....

Team First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
naturalnumbas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
I dont think it would work well IMO. Kadri likes to hog the puck and try to stickhandle through players rather then pass it. Kessel needs a guy who is unselfish and willing to dish the puck to him. Kadri is neither of those things.
See I think a lot of the time last year Kessel's linemates were too unselfish. Kessel definitely has some playmaking talent, but ideally he shouldn't be the guy driving through the neutral zone with the puck. Last year it seemed like the whole plan was get the puck to Kessel and let him deal with it. Kadri seems to like trying to go through tough spots with the puck, I just hope he learns how to do it without getting killed.

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Laino

Maybe let them play together before saying they'll be good/bad with each other :X

Laino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:21 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Yeah, DiDomenico played quite well. Good to have the prospect depth to make those sorts of trades.
But some of us would actually like to keep the depth and the players the Leafs draft!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:22 PM
zapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post

Also Bozak was the only centre who created much of anything for Kessel to work with last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out as the better overall player when compared to Kadri.
Did you watch the third period? He can be a playmakers for sure, but I think he just wants to get those first few goals in to get that weight off his shoulders. Then he will start to think more about winning the game than putting his name on the score sheet and delivering hits.

After watching todays game though, he's gona get injured in the NHL for sure if he plays like this. Thats my only real concern.

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
lololololololololololol.

You're right. Kadri is a hog and never passes.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:32 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I only got to watch the 3rd period...But I thought Dido was thier best player...but BOB McGILL and the and the other announcer did state that DIDO was in fact the best player for the Hawks...there goes you're theory!
I thought Dido played well also... but let's get real about McGill and the other guy. They are terrible announcers and commentators.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
video is already up

crump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:37 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

thanks bro i wish i had rogers stupid cogeco!

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Kessick

The overreaction to Kadri's performance tonight was predictable.

He had a strong first period. I wonder if playing in his backyard was making him nervous and a bit too eager to prove himself. It's the first game, it is hardly indicative of any player's strengths or weaknesses. Let's not forget our Leafs looked like world beaters in last year's pre-season when they finished 6-3, only to go winless in 7 games.

Let's give him some time to settle in before over-analyzing what went wrong.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Cmillz

Kadri played a good game, had 4 scoring chances, made some nice passes and made some solid checks.

I'm surprised at the Blacker thing going on in here...I saw him as the most steady defenseman out there for either team. Carried the puck, had one bad turnover, laid some serious hits, a beautiful poke check on a guy who had a step on him.

Onders was the surprise, that kid is big and has some vision. He saw the ice so well, made great plays and showed big league patience. Grabo, are you watching?

Rynnas, besides the obvious penalty, after the first played a good game.

Anyone else think as the game went on, Holzer really became much better? By the third he was involved all over the ice.

I think what we can take from this is our scouting in the last two years has started to show some results.

Except for Brayden Irwin. He looked really bad.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
bionic

Kadri was getting double teamed all night. I watched this kid battle two players to get open enough to pass off to his linemate most of the game. His shifts were down to 30-45 seconds. His extra muscle came in handy when seperating players from the puck with some nice hits. He had a good game and it was easy to see the skill this kid has on the ice. He has done everything asked of him by the leafs so his attitude is not in question.

Mueller is the one guy that really impressed me. He was hitting everything that moved and man can he skate. Not only did burke find a free wallet with this kid but there was a nice crisp $100 dollar bill inside.

It was also nice to see that the first three of our draft picks scored a goal and played well. This draft may turn out to be one of the better drafts the leafs have had despite the fact we "lost" Seguin.

overall the rookies showed well....cant wait untill tomorrow night

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

CTV news just called Greg Mckegg, 'Randy Mckegg'.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
mooseOAK*

Leafs rookies play big against 'Hawks

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:53 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
I thought Dido played well also... but let's get real about McGill and the other guy. They are terrible announcers and commentators.
Truthfully i'd take the word of a former NHL player who actually played in the show and knows what it takes to make it opposed to an HFer.... The announcer not so much, He calls the game and may have never played or ever scouted! But he does have an opinion because he does call the game. ..altho they can see who the best player on the ice is on any given night!....just my take.

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:55 PM
mlugia
That other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Thats not saying much, but now for a guy like Holzner to take a roster spot, do you really see him taking a job from one of the top 6? I sure as heck don't.
People said the exact same thing about Gunnarsson this time last year, so it's obviously possible.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:55 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I was at the game and his style reminded me a bit of Jiggy's

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Great first game. Finally hockey is back and we're ready to run show again tmrw.

Couple of quick player comments:

-Ross has jets, dude can really skate.
-Kadri showed his smooth puck handling, creativity, and toughness
-McKegg had a great goal- that shot was smooth
-Holzer did a great job defending, breaking up passes, covering his man
-Mueller is a beast, gonna be a tight race to see if he'll make the team.
-Rynnas overall had a great first game, highlight save in the 3rd when he was sitting down on the 2nd chance.

Can't wait for the next game!!

AtotheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:03 PM
thehockeysong
BJ elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team First View Post
...well you (anyone) fly over to Sweden, climatize for a couple of days, and then play your first game in a new country. Holy smokes, let him get some time under his belt....

......he's finnish.

thehockeysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:07 PM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Anyone have any video hilights?

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:12 PM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Alright, my weak attempt at analysis , though can only say I caught some of the second and then the full third period. May have some details wrong, but ah well.

First off, I agree with those saying Kadri played good. He had one really good play on the boards where he entered the Hawks zone, stymied the Hawk defender's attempt to move the puck out off the boards, then made a beauty pass to Ross.
Had a couple of good chances on another shift after a slick move to his backhand.
He may have messed up the 2 on 1 by not passing it, but he nearly scored anyhow. Seen some less notable attempts where he lost the puck and a clear diagonally out of his own zone that looked a bit dangerous but I still don't understand the complaints.

As some others have said, Kadri was looking to impress and is looked upon to be the star of the tournament - he is likely feeling some pressure, not to mention this is the first actual game he has played in a few months. Let's take it bit easy on the fella. Should be glad we have such a skilled player with some bite. Despite him seeming quite brash and cocky, he seems the sort of player who wants to excel even if that means removing some kinks from his game. I personally think his game is still a bit too raw ( I hate the word but I think it's the one I'm looking for) for the NHL, but whatever happens, happens. I would be excited to to see him stay.

Mueller was my favourite player to watch. Excellent two-way play by him. Only got to see a bit of him on the one PK in the second ,but he seemed to be very composed. Made a nice hit on a Hawks defender on the forecheck in the third. Nice work along the boards on the one shift. Shot a nice low wrister that I thought was going in. Excited to see more.

Olden was pretty good. I did not notice much of him unless the puck was on his stick, but he made some slick moves. Not sure if it was his doing or the puck coming out from the board shuffle, but he made one great pass where he pulled the puck away from the defender, guarded the puck on boards and seemed to pass the puck out with his foot or stick towards the net which ended up on another Leafs' forward stick. If that was his doing, then that was quite the crafty move - still some great play from him regardless. Made another nice move inside the blueline - as mentioned earlier. Didn't notice him much outside of him possessing the puck, but I don't always pick up on the subtler defensive/positional play.

Was impressed with some other players as well - Carrick, Crescenzi, Gysbers, Holzer in a couple of instances, Ross - but didn't take too many notes on them.

Making a trip tomorrow to see the 2:00 Hawks and Pens game and then the Leafs game at 7:00. Should be fun.

Last edited by babblemoth: 09-11-2010 at 11:27 PM.
babblemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beleafer4

i did not watch the actual game but from the highlights kadri looked good. His first period was frikken amazing but he disappeared in the 2nd. He had a nice pass to ross there.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
malliabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
Anyone have any video hilights?

Game in 6 Minutes

malliabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I thought Kadri was pretty good actually. Showed his skill, his physical play and created chances for himself and others. Not his best game and didn't score or anything but nothing to be disappointed about.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote