HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Beezer: Den of Honor?

Old
09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

vCash: 500
Beezer: Den of Honor?

Hi guys. Is there a reason VanBiesbrouck hasn't had his number retired or been placed in the Den of Honor you guys have? Was there a falling out I don't know of?

It seems like he was a pretty important early figure in your team's history, and I'm just curious why he hasn't been honored.

I ask because he's my alltime favorite NHLer.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Boooooth10

He's in the Den of Honor.

As for why his number isn't retired...good question. I know there are a few of us here that believe his name should be hanging in the rafters.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
He's in the Den of Honor.

As for why his number isn't retired...good question. I know there are a few of us here that believe his name should be hanging in the rafters.
Retiring #34 would be a good start.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:02 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
I don't believe in retiring marginal numbers. A HOFer, who compiled a majority of his stats as a Panther, would be a legitimate candidate, to me. So to get to the point, in the Panthers short and mostly terrible history, no player really fits that bill.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I dont think the Panthers have retired any numbers yet, correct? Nothing against Beezer at all but he really only played with Florida for 5 seasons.

I usually associate number retirements with guys that have played with a team for like 10 yrs. I'd be more okay with retiring the number of Mellanby, Svehla or Laus considering they spent almost 10 yrs with the club (8 each) and meant more to the organization IMO.

Looking ahead, I would say Weiss may be a player that could stay here and deserve to get his number retired. He's currently 6th on the all-time scoring list for the organization but is just 70 pts behind Mellanby for 2nd. He could potentially do that next season alone (but probably not). He's also only 50 assists behind Jokinen for the all-time record in that stat and should be able to top that in no more than 2 more seasons. And if he stays at least until the end of this contract, he should surpass everyone but Jokinen for goals scored too. The last reason is because he's a home-grown player that has been here since drafted.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Pukboy5kroner

I think it would probably take more than just a player like Weiss capturing team records to justify retiring his number. A player should show that he belongs not just to the category of better players on the team he played for, but to the category of better players in the league. If Bure had played for the Panthers for a more significant stretch of time, I could see retiring his number.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Ignatius
Tower Garden Fanatic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
So to get to the point, in the Panthers short and mostly terrible history, no player really fits that bill.
Look at it this way, as bad as the team's history may be the one instance that your team made it to the SCF... well I'd say Beezer was the key force in getting the Panthers there. My beloved Pens with all their offense didn't have an answer for him, kinda like Halak during the latest playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I dont think the Panthers have retired any numbers yet, correct? Nothing against Beezer at all but he really only played with Florida for 5 seasons.

I usually associate number retirements with guys that have played with a team for like 10 yrs. I'd be more okay with retiring the number of Mellanby, Svehla or Laus considering they spent almost 10 yrs with the club (8 each) and meant more to the organization IMO.
Well considering that there has been an NHL team in Miami for only 17 years it is hard to find more than a handful of players that have had a major impact for an extended period of time during the aforementioned mostly terrible history. I agree with the three you picked but I'd have to put in my vote for Vanbiesbrouck. IMO he was as good, if not better than, Luongo or Vokoun but the difference is that he was probably the biggest part of your team's greatest success in making that Cup run.

Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote