HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panther's Rookie Camp 2010 Opening Day (Photos and Video)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
  #51
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig
 
I May Be Wrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,397
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Who would the spect gurus compare Quinton Howden to? I'm intrigued by his raw ability.

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
  #52
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, I agree, maybe a faster Kunitz though. McFarland has great speed which he uses as a weapon, whereas Kunitz doesn't have that element. That's what I've been saying all along, that McFarland plays with an edge to his game, he will make sure to get a shot in when he can most times, that's why I've never bought the argument that his work ethic has problems. Players who forecheck and backcheck hard, are physical, and chippy don't have work ethic problems. The two just don't go together, it's a contradiction.

Good to hear your views on Gallacher, after the reach of a pick it was. Sounds like some good scouting there possibly.
I think character issues rather than work ethic issues has been the concern?

I like the Kunitz comparison. He may have a little more offensive talent than Kunitz, but certainly that is the type of player i think he projects to be. His upside to me is a good reliable top six forward rather than this offensive dynamo some are expecting.


I think we have alot of NHL likely players within our farm system, which is great. We just need an injection of elite offensive talent now (but then what system doesn't).

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
  #53
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I believe the reason is because due to NCAA rules they'd have to pay their own way - they can't accept any money from the Panthers or they lose their college eligibility. Since insurance, travel, room and board for 1-3 weeks can be expensive, and since classes start at the end of August, most college players skip training camp until they've signed their first pro deal and don't need to go back to play in school anymore.
Pretty sure there are NCAA rules against even playing with pros. Or at least there used to be. Might not apply to training camps, though. Just throwing that out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
dude when did I diss vokoun???! I love him man, i was just translating the interview for you and giving you markstrom's swedish goalie coach's thoughts of how good markstrom really is!! I know vokoun is a top 5 goalie in this league and we should be more happy to have him here, so dont think for a second i was back talking vokoun!

markstrom is the best prospect we've had for a long time (if not ever), and ofcourse we should be excited about that. and im equally happy for both of them
It's just a holdover from another thread, and it would be incredibly annoying to see people treat Vokoun the same way they've treated Luongo (people around here have quoted him as saying he would've stayed if JM had negotiated his contract all along instead of Keenan, which is totally understandable).

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
  #54
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
I agree, I don't see the poor work ethic on the ice.. And it was tough to get a grasp of his speed with so much goin on...

As for Gallacher, I'm really excited to watch him the next couple days to see if he plays this way consistently.. Where is he playing next year? Idk who I'd compare him to... He's unique. Nobody was getting around him and he was hitting everything. Could be a fan favorite one day
I might be mistaken, but I think Sacred Heart University. Which is weird because no other college guys are there. I just thought about that. Maybe Acadmus's explanation is the most correct then, NCAA guys can attend pro camps but they have to pay their own way. But Gallacher's dad is supposedly very rich so he might have the means whereas other kids don't. I could be wrong though on where he's playing, that's what I thought I remember him saying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Who would the spect gurus compare Quinton Howden to? I'm intrigued by his raw ability.
upside- Brenden Morrow
downside-Mike Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I think character issues rather than work ethic issues has been the concern?

I like the Kunitz comparison. He may have a little more offensive talent than Kunitz, but certainly that is the type of player i think he projects to be. His upside to me is a good reliable top six forward rather than this offensive dynamo some are expecting.


I think we have alot of NHL likely players within our farm system, which is great. We just need an injection of elite offensive talent now (but then what system doesn't).
I've heard character issues and work ethic issues, depends who you talk to. I'm not really buying either though.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
  #55
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
Doubt it.. I can see another year in the ahl and he could be a jiri hudler clone
Unfortunately, he has threatened to return to Russia if he does not make the Panthers. I wouldn't expect to see him in Rochester this year, although I really hope he comes to his senses.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:23 PM
  #56
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig
 
I May Be Wrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,397
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
upside- Brenden Morrow
downside-Mike Fisher
Wow, didn't think it'd be that high. Very nice. We could use that type of player on this team.

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:03 PM
  #57
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I think character issues rather than work ethic issues has been the concern?
Just wanna reiterate, that i heard the same things about his attitude, but he was one of the nicest guys off of the ice the other day. He went out of his way to start conversation and keep it going. Seemed pretty upright to me. Of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't have attitude issues, just throwing that oot there, ey.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:06 PM
  #58
RobbieCap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
how did Selleck look?

RobbieCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
  #59
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieCap View Post
how did Selleck look?

Alright, nothing to really stand out...

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:34 PM
  #60
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I might be mistaken, but I think Sacred Heart University. Which is weird because no other college guys are there. I just thought about that. Maybe Acadmus's explanation is the most correct then, NCAA guys can attend pro camps but they have to pay their own way. But Gallacher's dad is supposedly very rich so he might have the means whereas other kids don't. I could be wrong though on where he's playing, that's what I thought I remember him saying though.



upside- Brenden Morrow
downside-Mike Fisher



I've heard character issues and work ethic issues, depends who you talk to. I'm not really buying either though.
Downside Mike Fisher?
That's crazy, Fisher is a terrific NHL player especially for his role. I'd say Howden worst case scenario is a fringe 4th liner who bounces around. Mike Fisher could be used as the upside for several people and though I think Howden could turn into a Morrow type player if all goes well, the downside certainy has to be much lower, though he's a safe bet for the bottom 2 lines.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
  #61
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Downside Mike Fisher?
That's crazy, Fisher is a terrific NHL player especially for his role. I'd say Howden worst case scenario is a fringe 4th liner who bounces around. Mike Fisher could be used as the upside for several people and though I think Howden could turn into a Morrow type player if all goes well, the downside certainy has to be much lower, though he's a safe bet for the bottom 2 lines.
Fisher is very good at his role, but he's still a 3rd liner/fringe 2nd liner. That's what I see Howden's downside as, an elite 3rd liner. I think he'll be a top 9 forward, I don't see his downside being as low as a 4th liner. Fisher could be used as the upside for some people, but I don't see how that's relevant. Howden is a talented 1st round pick, he's not some fringe prospect.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
  #62
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
Personally I don't see Fisher at all.. I'd say his downside is an Eric Fehr type..

With Doan/Morrow potential

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:39 AM
  #63
bad attitude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I might be mistaken, but I think Sacred Heart University. Which is weird because no other college guys are there. I just thought about that. Maybe Acadmus's explanation is the most correct then, NCAA guys can attend pro camps but they have to pay their own way. But Gallacher's dad is supposedly very rich so he might have the means whereas other kids don't. I could be wrong though on where he's playing, that's what I thought I remember him saying though.
Actually Gallacher is still playing Junior A in Alberta, Canada. He is just turning 18 and will play again in his 3rd season for the Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL. They host the National Junior A RBC this year.

bad attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:50 AM
  #64
IMCanadian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I might be mistaken, but I think Sacred Heart University. Which is weird because no other college guys are there. I just thought about that. Maybe Acadmus's explanation is the most correct then, NCAA guys can attend pro camps but they have to pay their own way. But Gallacher's dad is supposedly very rich so he might have the means whereas other kids don't. I could be wrong though on where he's playing, that's what I thought I remember him saying though.



upside- Brenden Morrow
downside-Mike Fisher



I've heard character issues and work ethic issues, depends who you talk to. I'm not really buying either though.
Watching McFarland these past few years in Sudbury I can tell you that he suffered from maturity issues. It is very easy for the opposition to get under his skin. Hopefully this is something he can outgrow as he has world class talent. Very fast and powerful skater with a great shot. I believe he will be a better Pro then Junior player. he plays at a high tempo and his junior teammates can't keep up. I think you got a steal with a second round pick on him...time will tell

IMCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:44 AM
  #65
kellmuff96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
hey everyone... Sens fan here. However, Eric Selleck is one of my childhood friends so I came to check on his progress at camp. I know he isnt expected to stay with the big club but hopefully he develops as a pro in Rochester this year.

is there anyway he can end up in Cincy or is he guaranteed to stay in Rochester due to his contract?

kellmuff96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:02 AM
  #66
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
At camp now, the zamboni is out halfway and they are going to scrimmage. Details to follow..

In terms of practice.. Birkholz is a very exciting prospect, kid can fly and has a sick shot, was scoring beauties everytime he touched puck. Line I'm most excited about.. McFarland-Howden-Birkholz.

Petrovic was an animal, huge hits in practice, he was paired with guds an robak and Comrie were together, then they switched I think because it was 2 righties and 2 Left.. I liked the look of guds and petro though.

A lot better practce from wilson, jerks and timmons too.. Idk if they forward all look better today just because markstrom isn't out there, probably. Lol
Finally, markstrom didn't dress. Not sure why, I'm assuming to see more of chevy vs foster and maybe markie comes out w the vets next.

Scrimmage about to start!

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:07 AM
  #67
Loving The Bitz
 
Loving The Bitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Victoria
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
I have to thank everyone for their updates and I think we all appreciate it! How is Berger doing? I have followed the guy pretty well back in Oshawa since he was drafted by us and he does seem to have quite the upside! He did break his ankle though and missed a good majority of his last season but still put up some good numbers when he was in action. He is also a Swiss and probably one of my favourites among the few Swiss players in the NHL or minor leagues.

Loving The Bitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:12 AM
  #68
hockeyDude09
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
At camp now, the zamboni is out halfway and they are going to scrimmage. Details to follow..

In terms of practice.. Birkholz is a very exciting prospect, kid can fly and has a sick shot, was scoring beauties everytime he touched puck. Line I'm most excited about.. McFarland-Howden-Birkholz.

Petrovic was an animal, huge hits in practice, he was paired with guds an robak and Comrie were together, then they switched I think because it was 2 righties and 2 Left.. I liked the look of guds and petro though.

A lot better practce from wilson, jerks and timmons too.. Idk if they forward all look better today just because markstrom isn't out there, probably. Lol
Finally, markstrom didn't dress. Not sure why, I'm assuming to see more of chevy vs foster and maybe markie comes out w the vets next.

Scrimmage about to start!

what are the lines today?

hockeyDude09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:24 AM
  #69
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
Good interview! I like what he's saying. (for all u sorry people who dont get swedish very much, he is basically saying similar things to what we've read in interviews with GR and fialtov(correct?))

his goalie coach in sweden said that he expects jacob to maybe play "a couple" games in ahl, and after that florida wont be able to keep their hands off. he also called vokoun "decent" in comparison to markstrom
No Vokoun insulting...if anything, he's using the goalie coach's words to say WE HAVE 2 OF WHAT APPEARS TO BE TOP 5 CALIBER NHL GOALIES!

Wait...so Guds might not be playing this year?

Keep em coming Cliff, you are the eyes of those who can't get outta work!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
  #70
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
1st period was 5 on 5.. No goals.

2nd period was 4 on 4...

Clackson scored first on a nice feed from
Howden. 1-0 white

Wilson stole puck from ??? Not sure who, sniped over chevy. 1-1

Dadonov finished scoring, nice goal over chevy..

Yesterday I had chevy and foster mixed up, i personally think foster is the better goalie.. By a good amount.

Wilson looked really solid all day, kinda reminds me
Of lucic when he's using his body.

First time I started to notice hyman was during 4 on 4, started to use his speed an skill with some more open ice, made a nice dish off his knees to timmins who hit the post.. Timmins has been really impressive today.

Bout to watch the vets.

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:17 AM
  #71
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyDude09 View Post
what are the lines today?
Don't remember 2nd lines :-/

White:

McFarland-Howden-Birkholz
Petrovic-Comrie
Cheverie

Jenks-Timmins-Wilson
Dadonov...
Gudbranson-Robak
Foster

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
  #72
billysbreakdown
Registered User
 
billysbreakdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,330
vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
1st period was 5 on 5.. No goals.

2nd period was 4 on 4...

Clackson scored first on a nice feed from
Howden. 1-0 white

Wilson stole puck from ??? Not sure who, sniped over chevy. 1-1

Dadonov finished scoring, nice goal over chevy..

Yesterday I had chevy and foster mixed up, i personally think foster is the better goalie.. By a good amount.

Wilson looked really solid all day, kinda reminds me
Of lucic when he's using his body.

First time I started to notice hyman was during 4 on 4, started to use his speed an skill with some more open ice, made a nice dish off his knees to timmins who hit the post.. Timmins has been really impressive today.

Bout to watch the vets.
Any update why Marky isn't dressed?

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
  #73
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 7,009
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Any update why Marky isn't dressed?
he said he's probably gonna come out with the vets, which would be awesome...let's just wait for the update

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
  #74
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
he said he's probably gonna come out with the vets, which would be awesome...let's just wait for the update
He didn't.. Saw tallas, said he got day off and he's fine

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
  #75
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 7,009
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
He didn't.. Saw tallas, said he got day off and he's fine
ohh ok, thanks for the info maybe means he will be the starter tomorrow vs the Preds?

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.