HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on Ovechin and Malkin

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2004, 08:12 PM
NYblades

vCash: 500
Article on Ovechin and Malkin

Quote:
Some scouts believe the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Malkin has closed the once sizable gap between him and Ovechkin, though Ovechkin remains the obvious No. 1. The two were teammates during the world junior championships last winter, and Ovechkin was impressed with Malkin. Malkin won't turn 18 until July 31.
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/7372683

Old
05-31-2004, 08:16 PM
NYR2

Quote:
"He's a great player, but we are different players," Ovechkin said when asked to compare himself to Kovalchuk. "I like to play defense... and Ilya cannot play defense."

No chance at Malkin though, huh?

Old
05-31-2004, 08:21 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblades
I thought I was on the pens board for a second.

Old
06-02-2004, 06:17 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
I realize that it's a pretty obvious statement, but he comes off as a little cocky to me when he puts down Ilya Kovalchuk's (defensive) game and calls himself more physical than Malkin. Maybe it's true, but it seems wrong to call yourself better than an NHL player at ANYTHING until you make it and prove something.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:12 AM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
I realize that it's a pretty obvious statement, but he comes off as a little cocky to me when he puts down Ilya Kovalchuk's (defensive) game and calls himself more physical than Malkin. Maybe it's true, but it seems wrong to call yourself better than an NHL player at ANYTHING until you make it and prove something.
After watching Ovechkin play a couple of games in Prague earlier in the year I think he should care less about Kovalchuk`s defensive game and more about his own. He`s got a lot to learn in his own zone...

Old
06-02-2004, 10:01 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
also keep in mind that since ovechkin & kovalchuk are only about a year apart in age and played together growing up in the wjc etc...so it is very possible that he made that comment about kovalchuk to bust on his friend and didn't really mean anything by it

Old
06-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
also keep in mind that since ovechkin & kovalchuk are only about a year apart in age and played together growing up in the wjc etc...so it is very possible that he made that comment about kovalchuk to bust on his friend and didn't really mean anything by it
If they did play together then the comment sounds just like friendly competition. Kovalchuk set the bar and now Overchkin has to atleast match...

Old
06-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Barnaby

"He's a great player, but we are different players," Ovechkin said when asked to compare himself to Kovalchuk. "I like to play defense... and Ilya cannot play defense."

Thats not really "bashing him." He's just protraying himself as a better all-around player.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Broadway Brett

I think it was a "Fun" comment, they are friends, you know.

Old
06-02-2004, 07:14 PM
TelperiŽn

Situation A:

"[...] Ilya cannot play defense." -Alexander Ovechkin on Kovalchuk

Situation B:

"I think his skating's not very good." -Ilya Kovalchuk on Spezza

I have nothing against Ovechkin stating a "widely known fact" (even if people thought it was cocky), and no one in the media is ripping him apart. Ovechkin is said to have a better overall game and he criticized a [Russian] NHL player. Fine. Done.

Kovalchuk was said to have superior skating abilities than most people and he criticized Spezza, a [Canadian] prospect. His name gets dragged through the dirt.

Now if Kovy said something about Stanislav Christov, I bet no one would have given a rat's ass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
they are friends.
Really. How? Reading through articles from the Russian press, I haven't found anything like that.

Old
06-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
Situation A:

"[...] Ilya cannot play defense." -Alexander Ovechkin on Kovalchuk

Situation B:

"I think his skating's not very good." -Ilya Kovalchuk on Spezza

I have nothing against Ovechkin stating a "widely known fact" (even if people thought it was cocky), and no one in the media is ripping him apart. Ovechkin is said to have a better overall game and he criticized a [Russian] NHL player. Fine. Done.

Kovalchuk was said to have superior skating abilities than most people and he criticized Spezza, a [Canadian] prospect. His name gets dragged through the dirt.

Now if Kovy said something about Stanislav Christov, I bet no one would have given a rat's ass...

Really. How? Reading through articles from the Russian press, I haven't found anything like that.

The only time I find it excusable is if they're friends and he was just busting on Ilya. I realize that it is a widely known fact that Ovechkin is a better two-way player than Kovalchuk, but that should be left to everyone else to say, not Ovechkin himself. Just my two cents......

Old
06-02-2004, 09:10 PM
free0717

I think the rangers may get malkin. With transfer fees needing to be negotiated with the russian team at a cost of up to three million bucks, pittsburgh may not be able to afford it. They may take a deal with the Rangers.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
I think the rangers may get malkin. With transfer fees needing to be negotiated with the russian team at a cost of up to three million bucks, pittsburgh may not be able to afford it. They may take a deal with the Rangers.
After reading what Park#2 said a month ago, followed by the article in the Blueshirt Bulletin, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Til the End of Time

Would ranger fans want to acquire Malkin?

Old
06-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717

. . . Pittsburgh just signed their own picks instead of them going back in the draft, Talbot and Christensen (who was looking for first round money . . . hmmm, sound familiar), and yet the Rags seem to have been unable to sign RJ Umberger . . . oh, wait, the Pens are first in the running to sign him too. Enough with the money rumors, that Jagr deal seems to have forever skewed the perception of Pittsburgh. True. we can not throw money around at worthless players like some teams can, and never will have anything close to an $80 million plus payroll, but we certainly are not as poor as some here make us out. If we want Malkin we certain can afford the rookie salary, especially if a Cap of some sort comes into play, a new arena is built (as seems likely with slots on the verge of approval) and yes, will afford his fee to get out of Russia. We averaged 11,500 fans this past years after finishing last this year, next to last last year, and averaged close to 16,000 when we were winning not so long ago. Keep dreaming though.

Old
06-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
. . . Pittsburgh just signed their own picks instead of them going back in the draft, Talbot and Christensen (who was looking for first round money . . . hmmm, sound familiar), and yet the Rags seem to have been unable to sign RJ Umberger . . . oh, wait, the Pens are first in the running to sign him too. Enough with the money rumors, that Jagr deal seems to have forever skewed the perception of Pittsburgh. True. we can not throw money around at worthless players like some teams can, and never will have anything close to an $80 million plus payroll, but we certainly are not as poor as some here make us out. If we want Malkin we certain can afford the rookie salary, especially if a Cap of some sort comes into play, a new arena is built (as seems likely with slots on the verge of approval) and yes, will afford his fee to get out of Russia. We averaged 11,500 fans this past years after finishing last this year, next to last last year, and averaged close to 16,000 when we were winning not so long ago. Keep dreaming though.
You gave away Kovalev for crap so I wouldn't put anything past them. I'm not saying they'll trade the pick, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they did. If they were fine, then why send Fleury back just before he hit the games played on his contract? He was playing quite well, and they kept him that long so don't tell me "for development."

Old
06-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Jacob

If you could choose between paying someone 3 million dollars and NOT paying someone 3 million dollars, which would you choose?

Old
06-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Jaded-Fan

They were going nowhere with him for one thing. I am also fairly sure that the AO/Malkin sweepstakes was in their minds, there is no glory in finishing next to last, or in this case I am pretty sure that Maffy could have gained us at least six or seven wins, and we would be picking 8th or 9th now. They knew they sucked when they sent him down, but at least they get a prize for sucking, had they kept Maffy they would not only be $3 million poorer but 5 years from now when he is playing with Malkin they will think back and see who was picked 6th, 7th, 8th and know that they made the right decision. But mostly they did want to save the $3 million when spending it would do them nop good this year and cost them their best chance at the prize of AO or at least Malkin. I also believe that they could have paid it, just did not see the point of it in his case, this year.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 06-03-2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old
06-03-2004, 09:41 AM
thrashers=cup05

Thats like saying that the cavaliers threw last season so that they could get Lebron James. Oh wait they did. So you guys planning on doin the same so that you can get crosby as well.

Old
06-03-2004, 09:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashers=cup05
Thats like saying that the cavaliers threw last season so that they could get Lebron James. Oh wait they did. So you guys planning on doin the same so that you can get crosby as well.
The Caps did this season. What's your point?

Old
06-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
I forget if the city actually did go bankrupt or are still on the verge but don't think there is a chance for a new stadium for the Pens unless all the government money comes from the state and not the city.

As far as the organization, Pittsburgh can afford Malkin if they wanted him. It's a matter of IF they do or if they can get some deal from another team that management feels is better for the organization in the long run than taking Malkin now.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
I forget if the city actually did go bankrupt or are still on the verge but don't think there is a chance for a new stadium for the Pens unless all the government money comes from the state and not the city.

Actually most of the funding is supposed to come from the state, the real hold up was the funding, through slots, and that is on the verge of passing. It is amazing to me that Howard Baldwin is mentioned as a possible new owner for the Pens, even in passing. He was offered a new stadium and turned it down taking the short term money instead. And he wants another chance? . . . please . . . but the slot money for state funding now appears to be in place, a stadium is happening.

As far as the organization, Pittsburgh can afford Malkin if they wanted him. It's a matter of IF they do or if they can get some deal from another team that management feels is better for the organization in the long run than taking Malkin now.

Now this I can agree with, but it will not be for the beads and trinkets some here say is all that it would take. The Pens seem to love Malkin from everything that I have read, but if someone wants to blow them away with the type of offer that has been mentioned for AO, which is what it would also take to get Malkin, he is all yours.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Blueshirt13

After reading an ESPN article...

I now think that his Kovalchuk remarks were more ego...

Ovechkin wasn't thinking about any of this at the combine, mind you. If his game resembles Ilya Kovalchuk's, so does his brashness. At one point, a North American prospect (who'll remain nameless) was about to lose his lunch after struggling in the VO2-stationary bike test. Ovechkin was walking by him and said in perfect, unaccented English: "Way to go. Really good." The poor, weary kid looked puzzled and might well have been thinking that crimson-clad Ovechkin was with the Red Cross.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1812737

Old
06-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Til the End of Time

Let me start this off by saying if the pens had won the lottery, I would love the bit of arrogance Ovechkin has displayed.

But really, some of the things this kid has done are a little annoying. Who is he to criticize the top goal scorer in the NHL? And I have not heard they are friends, so it wasn't just messing around. And his sarcasm at the combine, mocking someone who was struggling? Also, has anyone heard about a conversation he and MAF had at a tournament/skills competition a year or so ago?

Old
06-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
Uhh, that's the idea, Copernicus.

The Penguins don't want any city money.

Quote:
Ovechkin wasn't thinking about any of this at the combine, mind you. If his game resembles Ilya Kovalchuk's, so does his brashness. At one point, a North American prospect (who'll remain nameless) was about to lose his lunch after struggling in the VO2-stationary bike test. Ovechkin was walking by him and said in perfect, unaccented English: "Way to go. Really good." The poor, weary kid looked puzzled and might well have been thinking that crimson-clad Ovechkin was with the Red Cross.
Very interesting.

Closed Thread