HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reports from yesterdays game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
  #26
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin
 
Thordic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kearny, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
he got here with his fists not his talent.
Wrong. He didn't get drafted to be a goon. You don't draft a guy for his fists in the first round.

He got drafted because he has talent. The fact he is tough is only part of it. If he didn't have talent, he never would have been drafted in the 1st round.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:18 AM
  #27
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
And if in that one fight he blows out his shoulder?
again, not fighting for fear of injury is weak. should he stop skating too ? maybe stand still and not move for fear of blowing out a knee.

if challenged, he should bring it. perhaps it will take his first scrap to send the message.

i want to see the kid engage someone in a rangers jersey. its time.

its like having a corvette and using it as a commuter car never going over 50 for fear of blowing the motor.

open her up.


Last edited by offdacrossbar: 09-13-2010 at 09:30 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
  #28
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if challenged, he should bring it. perhaps it will take his first scap to send the message.
Who is he sending a message to? Half the guys he's playing against he'll probably never see again. McIlrath already has the reputation. He doesn't need to prove anything or send any messages to a collection of prospects in a mostly meaningless tournament.

The coaches told him not to fight, so he didn't fight. Not sure how you see a problem with that.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:38 AM
  #29
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Wrong. He didn't get drafted to be a goon. You don't draft a guy for his fists in the first round.

He got drafted because he has talent. The fact he is tough is only part of it. If he didn't have talent, he never would have been drafted in the 1st round.
not saying he got drafted to be a goon. i said his fists got him here. if you take his fighting away, hes a 2nd round pick. 3rd round maybe because hes still a pretty big project.

i like the kids upside but i didnt like the kid with our first pick in the draft like many here did. i owuld have chosen another player.

my only point is that he should show his stuff. not letting him scrap is an organizational error imo. if they are telling him no, then i disagree with that call.

let the kid go a few times.

why not ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:38 AM
  #30
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,942
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
He was drafted to be the tough crease clearing monster he could be. He was under coaches orders not to fight a worthless goon. I am the biggest pro fighting goon lover on this board and have no problem with him not fighting. We need him to become a solid number 2-3 guy not a 5-7 min goon

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
  #31
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Who is he sending a message to? Half the guys he's playing against he'll probably never see again. McIlrath already has the reputation. He doesn't need to prove anything or send any messages to a collection of prospects in a mostly meaningless tournament.

The coaches told him not to fight, so he didn't fight. Not sure how you see a problem with that.
thats not true at all bro.

his rep is playing junior hockey. its his hockey skills that need work not his fighting. that part of his "skillset" is already developed. lets see it.

that tourny features most of the up and coming young players in the league for those respective teams. look at who weve sent there the last few years.

hell be competing against guys who certainly have a better chance of having a longer/better career than he will.

thats just not accurate.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
  #32
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
He was drafted to be the tough crease clearing monster he could be. He was under coaches orders not to fight a worthless goon. I am the biggest pro fighting goon lover on this board and have no problem with him not fighting. We need him to become a solid number 2-3 guy not a 5-7 min goon
Yeah for once I'm agreeing 100% with Dagoon here. offdacrossbar, you're really just making a controversy up where there isn't one at all.

And even at the NHL level with the gooniest of goons that do nothing else but punch people, if your coach tells you not to fight someone then you don't fight someone.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
  #33
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
McIlrath didn't get to where he is with his fists. That's ridiculous. McIlrath is a very good, young, physical defender who just happens to be a good fighter as well. The Rangers want him to develop into a complete defensemen, and clearly don't want him wasting his time -- and risking potential injury -- fighting some clown in a prospect tournament.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:49 AM
  #34
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
He was drafted to be the tough crease clearing monster he could be. He was under coaches orders not to fight a worthless goon. I am the biggest pro fighting goon lover on this board and have no problem with him not fighting. We need him to become a solid number 2-3 guy not a 5-7 min goon
yeah but your argument is silly.

hes 3 yrs away from being that guy. if he fights he cannot become that 2-3 guy down the road ? he cant fight at all or he will only be a 5-7 min goon 3yrs from now ? makes zero sense.

lets see him throw em. if you are indeed the pro fighting guy you say you are, dont you want to see the kid throw em in a rangers uni ?

again, whats the reason not to engage a willing participant in your first go around ?

let the kid show what hes got.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:53 AM
  #35
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,522
vCash: 500
This whole thread makes me wonder what this kid (McIlrath) is? Is he a goon or a top D prospect. I know his nicknames, reputation, etc. but what the hell? If this guy is all abobut his fists we're in trouble no?

I'm really hoping we didn't pick a goon at #10.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:53 AM
  #36
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah for once I'm agreeing 100% with Dagoon here.
Likewise.

Nothing wrong with the kids playing hockey instead of playing with their fists. Everyone in the tourney knows what Dylan could do when he drops the gloves. It's no secret. The other team would be happier with him sitting in the box for 5+ minutes than playing the game.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
  #37
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah but your argument is silly.

hes 3 yrs away from being that guy. if he fights he cannot become that 2-3 guy down the road ? he cant fight at all or he will only be a 5-7 min goon 3yrs from now ? makes zero sense.

lets see him throw em. if you are indeed the pro fighting guy you say you are, dont you want to see the kid throw em in a rangers uni ?

again, whats the reason not to engage a willing participant in your first go around ?

let the kid show what hes got.
This is the kids first shot against a real high level of competition. Other teams best prospects all in one club. We don't need to know, and neither does Dylan, which of their 4th liners he can beat the tar out of. Dylan needs to learn how to play defense against fast, skilled forwards like Skinner, which he is getting a chance to do this tourny. He shouldn't be occupying the penalty box any more than he has to, because this is a very important tourny for him.

cmon man I know you see the argument here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
  #38
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
McIlrath didn't get to where he is with his fists. That's ridiculous. McIlrath is a very good, young, physical defender who just happens to be a good fighter as well. The Rangers want him to develop into a complete defensemen, and clearly don't want him wasting his time -- and risking potential injury -- fighting some clown in a prospect tournament.
not fighting for fear of injury is a simply terrible argument.

so we should expect he will not fight in juniors this year either ?

the reason we drafted this guy was for him to become a complete defender. i agree.

exactly what does him fighting in this tourny have to do with that happening or not happening? they are not mutually exclusive of one another.

ive yet to hear a reason why he cannot fight. and it sure sounds like thats what im reading..... he cannot fight because they told him not to.

i want to see him fight because thats what we were all sold as his calling card.

again, if you buy a freekin ferrari and you invite me for a ride, i want you to open that sucker up. if you dont go over 60 and im along for the ride, im bummed.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
  #39
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah but your argument is silly.

hes 3 yrs away from being that guy. if he fights he cannot become that 2-3 guy down the road ? he cant fight at all or he will only be a 5-7 min goon 3yrs from now ? makes zero sense.

lets see him throw em. if you are indeed the pro fighting guy you say you are, dont you want to see the kid throw em in a rangers uni ?

again, whats the reason not to engage a willing participant in your first go around ?

let the kid show what hes got.
Sounds like you're more interested in watching this kid fight instead of play hockey. Just cause someone challenges you to a fight, doesn't mean you have to drop the gloves. Probert and Domi were smart enough to avoid dropping the gloves at certain times in a game.

Players know one-another. They know what they're game is all about. Dylan's more useful on the ice, than off. Especially if a no-talent goon wants to scrap.

Coaching staff did the right thing. Dylan proved that he can heed his coaching staffs advice too, which I like.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
  #40
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
thats not true at all bro.

his rep is playing junior hockey. its his hockey skills that need work not his fighting. that part of his "skillset" is already developed. lets see it.
And your solution to that is for him to fight? He needs to be on the ice working on those hockey skills, not in the box because you wanted to see him beat up some goon.

He didn't get drafted based on his fists. No team is going to select a player 10th overall just so he can fight. I know you're still pissed about us not drafting Tarasenko, but you need to get over it and stop acting like McIlrath is just a goon.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
  #41
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
again, if you buy a freekin ferrari and you invite me for a ride, i want you to open that sucker up. if you dont go over 60 and im along for the ride, im bummed.
That Ferrari shouldn't exceed 60~MPH until there's a few thousand miles on the engine. Power isn't what makes that Ferrari special, either. You can take a Sunday stroll with that car and it'll still blow your mind away.

Dylan is a giant piece of putty that needs to be molded into an everyday player. He's been fighting a lot, and has already shown what he's capable of with his fists. What he needs to display is his hockey ability. That's what the coaching staff wants out of him. And I'm very glad the kid's smart enough to listen to the instructions from his superiors.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
  #42
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
Anyone that thinks that MaCilrath was drafted because he can throw a punch is...well that statement speaks for itself.

Perspective: He was drafted 10th overall.

The fact that he can tune somebody up is just sauce for the goose. They know he can fight.

The big questions are how does he look defending a two on one, clearing his crease or his zone? Can he play? That's what I'd be most interested in revisiting.

If I'm the Rangers I tell him I want to see you playing not sitting in a box for five.

I swear some of the stuff I read here has me shaking my head.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
  #43
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV
 
UnderPSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Morris Co, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
I thought he was drafted since he was a big physical defensman, something this team lacked. Goons can be had easily and he sure as hell isnt the next coming of a Leetch or Zubov.

Purpose of him not dropping the gloves was for him to get use to the pace and adjust as needed. They want to him to improve his play, not sit in the box. We already know he can fight. So what is he going to benefit more from? Sitting in the box 5 mins at a clip or work on his skill set with more ice time.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:26 AM
  #44
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Sounds like you're more interested in watching this kid fight instead of play hockey. Just cause someone challenges you to a fight, doesn't mean you have to drop the gloves. Probert and Domi were smart enough to avoid dropping the gloves at certain times in a game.

Players know one-another. They know what they're game is all about. Dylan's more useful on the ice, than off. Especially if a no-talent goon wants to scrap.

Coaching staff did the right thing. Dylan proved that he can heed his coaching staffs advice too, which I like.


dude, this is a developemental camp not the 7th game of the stanley cup.

everyone is making more of this than it is.

QUESTION: whats wrong with big mac throwin em down ?

ANSWER:

hes more than a fighter
hes not a goon
he doesnt need to fight
he might get hurt
this tourny doesnt matter
no need to be in the box
he needs to be on the ice
his reputation is such that he doesnt need to fight


blah blah blah

i want to see him play good d and develop too but i also want to see our new tough guy fight

edit : and for the record, im not saying i want him to disobey the coaches and fight willy nilly. not at all. if its the staff not letting him go then thats the ones i have the problem with not dylan. im sure he wants to do what he does best. right now anyway.


Last edited by offdacrossbar: 09-13-2010 at 10:37 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
  #45
TreeSapLlama
Registered User
 
TreeSapLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post


dude, this is a developemental camp not the 7th game of the stanley cup.

everyone is making more of this than it is.

QUESTION: whats wrong with big mac throwin em down ?

ANSWER:

hes more than a fighter
hes not a goon
he doesnt need to fight
he might get hurt
this tourny doesnt matter
no need to be in the box
he needs to be on the ice
his reputation is such that he doesnt need to fight


blah blah blah

i want to see him play good d and develop too but i also want to see our new tough guy fight
I want to see him fight too, but not some staged fight. I want to his him crush someone into the boards, and then destroy anyone who comes up to "defend" their team mate. THAT is where his fighting talent is.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
  #46
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
dude, this is a developemental camp not the 7th game of the stanley cup.

everyone is making more of this than it is.

QUESTION: whats wrong with big mac throwin em down ?

ANSWER:

hes more than a fighter
hes not a goon
he doesnt need to fight
he might get hurt
this tourny doesnt matter
no need to be in the box
he needs to be on the ice
his reputation is such that he doesnt need to fight



i want to see him play good d and develop too but i also want to see our new tough guy fight
This is a prospect tournament, not the circus. His job isn't to entertain you. This is a chance for Rangers personnel to view McIlrath up close and evaluate his game. It's a chance for him to play against top competition. You keep complaining that nobody has given you a good enough reason for him not to fight, yet you have yet to give us a reason why he should other than you "want to see our tough guy fight."

So let's way the pro's and cons of him dropping the gloves

Cons:
-Potential to get injured
-5 minutes off the ice
-Letting a goon distract him from actual play on the ice

Pros:
- You get to see our new tough guy fight

Every single player and coach on the bench told him not to fight. Rangers personnel clearly told him as well as the coaching staff that he shouldn't fight unless absolutely necessary. McIlrath himself decided he shouldn't fight. Every poster in this thread, including Dagoon, who is about as pro-fighting as one can possibly be, agreed 100% that not fighting was the correct thing to do. However, despite all those people, including a whole coaching staff and management group of a professional hockey team, you, offdacrossbar, know what's best for McIlrath. Clearly all the potential negative effects of him fighting are worth it just so you can have your 2 minutes of jerking off to "our new tough guy fighting."

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
  #47
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
This is a prospect tournament, not the circus. His job isn't to entertain you. This is a chance for Rangers personnel to view McIlrath up close and evaluate his game. It's a chance for him to play against top competition. You keep complaining that nobody has given you a good enough reason for him not to fight, yet you have yet to give us a reason why he should other than you "want to see our tough guy fight."

So let's way the pro's and cons of him dropping the gloves

Cons:
-Potential to get injured
-5 minutes off the ice
-Letting a goon distract him from actual play on the ice

Pros:
- You get to see our new tough guy fight

Every single player and coach on the bench told him not to fight. Rangers personnel clearly told him as well as the coaching staff that he shouldn't fight unless absolutely necessary. McIlrath himself decided he shouldn't fight. Every poster in this thread, including Dagoon, who is about as pro-fighting as one can possibly be, agreed 100% that not fighting was the correct thing to do. However, despite all those people, including a whole coaching staff and management group of a professional hockey team, you, offdacrossbar, know what's best for McIlrath. Clearly all the potential negative effects of him fighting are worth it just so you can have your 2 minutes of jerking off to "our new tough guy fighting."
um ok. dont let him fight. just let him play. no need to see him fight.

in fact, were he to fight, he could:

ruin his career with an injury.

be off the ice for a whole 5 minutes

be distracted from his play on the ice

oh, and dagoon said so.

see, i understand better now.



more more thing.... if he fought, he might lose. then what ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
  #48
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,846
vCash: 500
Then you'd probably make a thread about it and complain or something?

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:06 AM
  #49
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianJagr View Post
I want to see him fight too, but not some staged fight. I want to his him crush someone into the boards, and then destroy anyone who comes up to "defend" their team mate. THAT is where his fighting talent is.
staged ? i was under the impression that fighting in hockey was not staged. it was real. how would it be staged ?

if the guy is the most fearsome fighter in the W, then lets see him fight with some big boys.

for the last time, fighting in this tourny will not preclude him from becoming chris pronger. if he fights, he wont fail to become whatever hes going to become.

and if he doesnt fight, it doesnt mean he will become chris pronger.

its a hockey scrap in a developmental camp. thats it.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
  #50
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
um ok. dont let him fight. just let him play. no need to see him fight.

in fact, were he to fight, he could:

ruin his career with an injury.

be off the ice for a whole 5 minutes

be distracted from his play on the ice

oh, and dagoon said so.

see, i understand better now.



more more thing.... if he fought, he might lose. then what ?

He is on their top-pairing with McDonagh. It's the same reason Chara doesn't fight everyone who challenges him. A 4th line <<<<<<<< 1st pairing defenseman.

He will fight, that is part of his game. Injuries happen. But to expect him to fight for no apparent reason(as in the guy wasn't hurting anyone or running the goalie) doesn't make much sense. The fact that McNaught(an older, more experienced fighter) even decided to pass on the fight makes me happy. These players are supposed to be working on their all-around game. Difficult to do that in the box.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.