HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reports from yesterdays game

Old
09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
um ok. dont let him fight. just let him play. no need to see him fight.

in fact, were he to fight, he could:

ruin his career with an injury.

be off the ice for a whole 5 minutes

be distracted from his play on the ice

oh, and dagoon said so.

see, i understand better now.

more more thing.... if he fought, he might lose. then what ?
Once again, All of Rangers management, the prospects in the tournament, McIlrath himself, and every single person to have posted in this thread agree without a doubt that the best thing for him to do was to not fight. Are you seriously that arrogant to believe that you know better than all those people?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Colt Seavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Then you'd probably make a thread about it and complain or something?
HI-YO!

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

dude, this is a developemental camp not the 7th game of the stanley cup.
This is exactly why he shouldn't be fighting.

He's there to expand his hockey game. Not fight a goon for your amusement.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Then you'd probably make a thread about it and complain or something?
ha. nope.

i was mearly posing the question.

im a contrarian. i like taking the unpopular position.

its fun engaging in the debate.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
not fighting for fear of injury is a simply terrible argument.
so is this. fighting because ONE poster wants to be sold on a prospect he never wanted draft is far more ludicrous. Complain a little louder. I think Ken Gernander is reading this forum. McIlrath accepting a fight in a meaningless tournament with some goon so that goon can raise his own stock and get a job or contract he probably has no place getting? Oh, there is some real incentive. He isn't making the team this year so the best thing he can do for his career is play as much as possible so the coaching staff can provide him with as much constructive feedback on how he can improve his game. You did read that McIlrath is consider the most improved player in his league two years running. I'm pretty sure this kid is good at taking feedback and learning from it to get better. Why does he need to practice on something he is so obviously good at already.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
ha. nope.

i was mearly posing the question.

im a contrarian. i like taking the unpopular position.

its fun engaging in the debate.
Don't you mean it's more fun thinking of ways you can back out of an argument you've totally realized you have no basis for having started in the first place? "Because I want to see him fight" was the only point you really made.

Old
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Don't you mean it's more fun thinking of ways you can back out of an argument you've totally realized you have no basis for having started in the first place? "Because I want to see him fight" was the only point you really made.
on the contrary, not only am i making a contrarian point here but i really believe that him not fighting in this camp makes zero sense. i mean, theres no reason not to drop em.

not only am i not backing out of anything, i am further defining my position by saying, i have yet to hear why a fight or 2 in this camp would do anything to impede or prevent his development.

bottom line was and continues to be, if this guy was sold as the toughest hombre in the W, and he is challenged to a scrap, why not go ?

its not a "Big game". its not gonna really matter. its a preseason tourny where fighting is expected. and this guy is supposedly the best in the business.

why run away ?

Old
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
DrZoidberg

Quote:
why run away ?
Because he's concentrating on the defensive aspect of his game and doesn't want to waste any of it during the highest level of play he'll see in a while. I've skimmed this thread and I know that, why don't you?

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
not fighting for fear of injury is a simply terrible argument.

so we should expect he will not fight in juniors this year either ?

the reason we drafted this guy was for him to become a complete defender. i agree.

exactly what does him fighting in this tourny have to do with that happening or not happening? they are not mutually exclusive of one another.

ive yet to hear a reason why he cannot fight. and it sure sounds like thats what im reading..... he cannot fight because they told him not to.

i want to see him fight because thats what we were all sold as his calling card.

again, if you buy a freekin ferrari and you invite me for a ride, i want you to open that sucker up. if you dont go over 60 and im along for the ride, im bummed.
The Rangers organization has complete control over him in Traverse City. They can dictate what he does, and doesn't do. There is absolutely nothing to gain from him fighting in this tournament. We know he can fight, but there's no sense in asking him to fight a giant goon just so one over zealous fan can see his mettle.

He's going to develop much more in the Dub this year than he will over the next 3 days in Traverse City. You don't have your starting QB play every down in the pre-season for a multitude of reasons, all of which can be applied in this situation. He's the highest selected player in the organization since Marc Staal. The brass is not going to take any chances with him when they can control the circumstances.

Regardless, I only brought up the risk of injury as one possible reason for not fighting him. I think it's pretty obvious that McIlrath is important to the team when he's on the ice, so losing him for 5 minutes in a very tight game seems rather foolish, doesn't it? The Jackets bench would have been thrilled to have our top-pairing shut-down presence off the ice for 5 minutes at the expense of their resident goon. Just like we'd be thrilled to watch Pronger drop the gloves with Brashear in the final game last season.

McIlrath is more than a goon, so he shouldn't be fighting them. It's asinine to expect him to.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Fireonk

I can't believe there have been this many replies to an arguement presented that boils down to "why not" and to "make a statement." Against a player that isnt in the same league, both in talent and where they actually play.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
You don't seem to give any credit to why he would fight.

1-His first camp, he will be back again. Show your teammates what you bring and you will protect them.

2- He was an unpopular first round pick. Maybe he wants to give the fans (like me) a glimpse of why it wasn't a wasted pick.

3- Thats his game.

4- Show a coach with a reputation that you come to play no matter what it is, a rookie tourny, beer league whatever. You know maybe just maybe he thinks he can make the team this year?

There are lots of reasons why he should fight.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
You don't seem to give any credit to why he would fight.

1-His first camp, he will be back again. Show your teammates what you bring and you will protect them.

2- He was an unpopular first round pick. Maybe he wants to give the fans (like me) a glimpse of why it wasn't a wasted pick.

3- Thats his game.

4- Show a coach with a reputation that you come to play no matter what it is, a rookie tourny, beer league whatever. You know maybe just maybe he thinks he can make the team this year?

There are lots of reasons why he should fight.
1. That instance would of been him accepting a random fight with a random goon. It wouldn't of served to protect any teammates.

2. We already know he can fight, how would that change the view of the haters? Not to mention it isn't shown anywhere so its not like reading about him fighting is going to turn popular opinion.

3. He was drafted that high because thats not what the coaches only want his game to be about.

4. They said the bench was screaming for him not to fight. Him accepting after that wouldn't of won himself over with the coaches.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I think McIlrath not fighting shows incredible maturity. He realizes he represents a much bigger picture now, and is playing on the top pairing in this tournament. He has much better things to do then fight for no reason.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I think McIlrath not fighting shows incredible maturity. He realizes he represents a much bigger picture now, and is playing on the top pairing in this tournament. He has much better things to do then fight for no reason.
Hmmmmm Dan Girardi showed maturity and he's a wuss around here now.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
That's not even remotely close to the same set of circumstances.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
Because he's concentrating on the defensive aspect of his game and doesn't want to waste any of it during the highest level of play he'll see in a while. I've skimmed this thread and I know that, why don't you?
we agree on that part.

but does a scrap or 2 really prevent that from happening ? i mean will a fight really waste all his work ?

i think not.

hes was the meanest sob in juniors last year. thats what gordie clark told us.

let him run.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The Rangers organization has complete control over him in Traverse City. They can dictate what he does, and doesn't do. There is absolutely nothing to gain from him fighting in this tournament. We know he can fight, but there's no sense in asking him to fight a giant goon just so one over zealous fan can see his mettle.

He's going to develop much more in the Dub this year than he will over the next 3 days in Traverse City. You don't have your starting QB play every down in the pre-season for a multitude of reasons, all of which can be applied in this situation. He's the highest selected player in the organization since Marc Staal. The brass is not going to take any chances with him when they can control the circumstances.

Regardless, I only brought up the risk of injury as one possible reason for not fighting him. I think it's pretty obvious that McIlrath is important to the team when he's on the ice, so losing him for 5 minutes in a very tight game seems rather foolish, doesn't it? The Jackets bench would have been thrilled to have our top-pairing shut-down presence off the ice for 5 minutes at the expense of their resident goon. Just like we'd be thrilled to watch Pronger drop the gloves with Brashear in the final game last season.

McIlrath is more than a goon, so he shouldn't be fighting them. It's asinine to expect him to.
not buying it.

i want to see the real dylan mcilrath. the one that was advertised. the one we drafted. the one that played for moosejaw last season. that dylan mcilrath.

you know, the one who throws thunderous hits, plays with an edge, makes opposing forwards skate away from his side of the ice. the guy we were told hits to hurt and fights like the best fighter in the western hockey league. that guy. not some repackaged version of him who has had the fighting part removed.

i expected to see a gladiator out there. a guy who would make people pay dearly if challenged and would never back down and run away.

for the record, i have no problem whatso ever if he doesnt fight if never challenged. no problem at all if he lays someone out and no one goes after him and certainly would never want him to go out of his way to hurt the team during the game with a selfish, immature penalty.

but dylan mcilrath being challenged and turning away ??

pretty weak.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
i have yet to hear why a fight or 2 in this camp would do anything to impede or prevent his development.
and outside of your own personal satisfaction, i have yet to hear why a fight or two in this camp would do anything to benefit his development.

as far as impeding, 5 minutes in the penalty box means he misses 1 or 2 shifts that the coaches could be using to evaluate his play with and constructing a clearer picture of his play and what he should work to improve upon in the up coming season. one bad punch could also mean an injury. just look at that guy who blew out his shoulder fighting McNaught. we certainly wouldn't want the same fate befall McIlrath or any player. his play in this tournament doesn't affect his status on the team either so there is no incentive. it's not like in training camp where players are struggling to not get cut and make the next round. Heck, McIlrath isn't going to make the team. I'm pretty sure we are all clear on that so the best he can do for himself is improve his game. Listening to the Rangers advice is the best he can do for himself at this point in his young career.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
not buying it.

i want to see the real dylan mcilrath. the one that was advertised. the one we drafted. the one that played for moosejaw last season. that dylan mcilrath.

you know, the one who throws thunderous hits, plays with an edge, makes opposing forwards skate away from his side of the ice. the guy we were told hits to hurt and fights like the best fighter in the western hockey league. that guy. not some repackaged version of him who has had the fighting part removed.

i expected to see a gladiator out there. a guy who would make people pay dearly if challenged and would never back down and run away.

for the record, i have no problem whatso ever if he doesnt fight if never challenged. no problem at all if he lays someone out and no one goes after him and certainly would never want him to go out of his way to hurt the team during the game with a selfish, immature penalty.

but dylan mcilrath being challenged and turning away ??

pretty weak.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Black Tank

Allright, we get it already. Some of you are still bitter and moaning about Mcilrath every chance you get because we didn't draft the guys Pierre McGuire wanted.

The rest of us are much more interested in how he's dealing with the most talented competition and teammates he's ever had.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Allright, we get it already. Some of you are still bitter and moaning about Mcilrath every chance you get because we didn't draft the guys Pierre McGuire wanted.

The rest of us are much more interested in how he's dealing with the most talented competition and teammates he's ever had.
A great point, but unfortunately it falls on the deaf ears of everyone here who hasn't even seen him play in person. It is a little worrying how much of the Pierre coolaid people drink around here.

This is pretty much directed at one person but consider the fact that this is the toughest hockey competition mcilrath has ever played. Don't you think he is at least curious to see how he matches up against them? They only play 4 freaking games, are you really suprised he wants to test his actual hockey ability against other talented players? He is auditioning for a future NHL job, I think he knows that he will make the NHL because of his hockey ability, not his punching ability.

Regardless of all this, the coaches told him not to fight. I would be worried if he didn't listen to them.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Pierre McGuire is a Rangers hating piece of crap. The guy wants to be the commish of the Ladies NHL cause he loves the non contact game. The Undertaker had everything to lose if he breaks a finger or dislocates a shoulder in a meaningless game

Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:05 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Let's try actually thinking before we post...

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Pierre McGuire is a Rangers hating piece of crap.
It's funny, he was ranting and raving about how good the Gomez & Drury signings were right after they happened... Talking about how the addition of those two plus guys like Staal gave us this "unbelievable championship mentality"... Well you know how that played out for us!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Blazephr

Pierre McGuire is Effin Creepy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5zXLZHGI4

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote