HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reports from yesterdays game

Old
09-13-2010, 06:40 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
offda -- Stop being wrong.

Jeeze. Even DAGOON said he doesn't want to see him fight in this. Give me a break.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:04 PM
JerseyRangers

C'mon guys look at the source. For cryin out loud Offhisrocker is the same guy who kept telling everyone how great Lisin was. Now he's pissed because McIlrath listened to the coaches and everyone else on the team and declined to fight. If on the other hand McIlrath had disobeyed the coaches and fought and it got out that he didn't listen then Offhisrocker would be moaning about what a hot head goon we drafted who won't listen to anyone. Its a no win situation! Leave him alone to sulk with his pacifier.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:55 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah but your argument is silly.

hes 3 yrs away from being that guy. if he fights he cannot become that 2-3 guy down the road ? he cant fight at all or he will only be a 5-7 min goon 3yrs from now ? makes zero sense.

lets see him throw em. if you are indeed the pro fighting guy you say you are, dont you want to see the kid throw em in a rangers uni ?

again, whats the reason not to engage a willing participant in your first go around ?

let the kid show what hes got.
I see your point that you are making with Mcilrath fighting but it just was not the time... I am sure Mcilrath will have plenty of fights this year when it counts in the real season.... Right now is the time to develop his hockey skills and etc..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:59 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
You don't seem to give any credit to why he would fight.

1-His first camp, he will be back again. Show your teammates what you bring and you will protect them.

2- He was an unpopular first round pick. Maybe he wants to give the fans (like me) a glimpse of why it wasn't a wasted pick.

3- Thats his game.

4- Show a coach with a reputation that you come to play no matter what it is, a rookie tourny, beer league whatever. You know maybe just maybe he thinks he can make the team this year?

There are lots of reasons why he should fight.
Interesting perspective..... I am sure Mcilrath was itching to fight but he has to listen to the coaches..... This in itself shows he is a team player and etc.. no?

Old
09-14-2010, 06:10 AM
msv957

Quote:
not buying it.

i want to see the real dylan mcilrath. the one that was advertised. the one we drafted. the one that played for moosejaw last season. that dylan mcilrath.

you know, the one who throws thunderous hits, plays with an edge, makes opposing forwards skate away from his side of the ice. the guy we were told hits to hurt and fights like the best fighter in the western hockey league. that guy. not some repackaged version of him who has had the fighting part removed.

i expected to see a gladiator out there. a guy who would make people pay dearly if challenged and would never back down and run away.

for the record, i have no problem whatso ever if he doesnt fight if never challenged. no problem at all if he lays someone out and no one goes after him and certainly would never want him to go out of his way to hurt the team during the game with a selfish, immature penalty.

but dylan mcilrath being challenged and turning away ??

pretty weak.
Jeez.... I hope Mcilrath is not scrutinized by fans like this on every shift he plays.. Too much pressure to live up to expectations... Mcilrath could be a beast.. He just needs to develop on his time without the pressure live up to others expectations....

Old
09-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Jeez.... I hope Mcilrath is not scrutinized by fans like this on every shift he plays.. Too much pressure to live up to expectations... Mcilrath could be a beast.. He just needs to develop on his time without the pressure live up to others expectations....
I think he'll be compared to Fowler and Gormley forever around the league and to Tarasenko as well by Rangers fans. Fortunately, he doesn't need to be BETTER than those players as long as he can bring the nasty physical presence and be able to play top 4 D. That alone justifies him at the number 10 pick b/c it seems we have been soft on D since #23 hung them up.

This is not an easy skill set to acquire, either through the draft or through UFA and it's something that will complement MDZ, Staal and McD very nicely. If McD and McI can come close to their billing, we should have a very, very good top 4. I don't give a **** about BPA when we have a chance to fill a missing piece of the puzzle in a very good future blueline.

The question is can he (and McD) perform at the level that Staal and MDZ have already showed us? And that's why this tournament is our best chance to see if he can skate and make the right decisions. He has all season to show his punching ability in the W.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That's not even remotely close to the same set of circumstances.
They aren't even the same kind of players. This is this kids game, he was drafted to do things like this. Stop crying about every friggin thing. Fight to come to a teammates aid. Yeah nothing close to those situations there.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
not buying it.

i want to see the real dylan mcilrath. the one that was advertised. the one we drafted. the one that played for moosejaw last season. that dylan mcilrath.

you know, the one who throws thunderous hits, plays with an edge, makes opposing forwards skate away from his side of the ice. the guy we were told hits to hurt and fights like the best fighter in the western hockey league. that guy. not some repackaged version of him who has had the fighting part removed.

i expected to see a gladiator out there. a guy who would make people pay dearly if challenged and would never back down and run away.

for the record, i have no problem whatso ever if he doesnt fight if never challenged. no problem at all if he lays someone out and no one goes after him and certainly would never want him to go out of his way to hurt the team during the game with a selfish, immature penalty.

but dylan mcilrath being challenged and turning away ??

pretty weak.
We all know that you're bitter about the team passing on Tarasenko, but you're clearly just grasping at straws here. In that situation, he's more valuable to the team as a defensemen, than he is as a fighter. Hell, even his own teammates were telling him not to fight the guy.

There comes a point where ignoring common sense just makes you look foolish.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
They aren't even the same kind of players. This is this kids game, he was drafted to do things like this. Stop crying about every friggin thing. Fight to come to a teammates aid. Yeah nothing close to those situations there.
Hmm.. protecting our star scoring winger from fighting Carcillo, vs a staged fight with a career goon in a tied game during a prospect tournament. Yeah, clearly the same situation.

He wasn't coming to anyone's aid. The guy was simply trying to start a fight with him to take him out of the game for 5 minutes. Stop making stuff up.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:49 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
We all know that you're bitter about the team passing on Tarasenko, but you're clearly just grasping at straws here. In that situation, he's more valuable to the team as a defensemen, than he is as a fighter. Hell, even his own teammates were telling him not to fight the guy.

There comes a point where ignoring common sense just makes you look foolish.
I honestly don't know why anyone responds to him anymore. I swear he gets off on rousing people up. No punctuation, trolling, doesn't respond to arguments, changes his own words, stubbornly parrots the same garbage over again. It's annoying that I have to even see his posts when they're quoted.

It was all obvious in his post where he says "I expected to see a gladiator out there". This coming from a guy who whined about the pick, over and over and over and over again, then changes his tune when someone posts 3 videos of McD getting in a fight. In Juniors. Against mostly kids. He's still clueless as to why we took him (for RAW MOLDABLE SKILL, not GOONY GOON GOON TIME).

Simple fact is, odc has ridiculous expectations of him, now he's disappointed McD didn't goon it up and is trolling left and right. It's pretty tiresome. Everyone's entitled to their opinion around here, but good lord the act is getting tiresome.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
I honestly don't know why anyone responds to him anymore. I swear he gets off on rousing people up. No punctuation, trolling, doesn't respond to arguments, changes his own words, stubbornly parrots the same garbage over again. It's annoying that I have to even see his posts when they're quoted.

It was all obvious in his post where he says "I expected to see a gladiator out there". This coming from a guy who whined about the pick, over and over and over and over again, then changes his tune when someone posts 3 videos of McD getting in a fight. In Juniors. Against mostly kids. He's still clueless as to why we took him (for RAW MOLDABLE SKILL, not GOONY GOON GOON TIME).

Simple fact is, odc has ridiculous expectations of him, now he's disappointed McD didn't goon it up and is trolling left and right. It's pretty tiresome. Everyone's entitled to their opinion around here, but good lord the act is getting tiresome.
whos mcd ?

i dont punctuate for a reason. this isnt english class and im not trying to pass my regents exam. who are you, the punctuation police? gimme a break.

as far as changing my tune after watching him fight....um i was aware of mr mclirath long before the draft lameo and for the record, im sure wayyyy before you. look through the draft thread and youll see me highlight the guy way before draft day. nice try though- only you are 100% wrong.

as to why we took him, my cluelessness is only equal to my preference for a better prospect with the 10th pick. i continue to believe that dylan wasnt the best choice for us at 10. i said it then and ill say it today. hows that for not changing my "tune". i would have taken another prospect at 10. i also understand why clark took him. hes not a total waste of a pick but then again, its way too early to even say that.

this organization has some immediate needs and dylan wasnt the best pick to address those short term and long term needs imo.

as for his not fighting, i will say it again, if the bench told him not to go, then i think that decision was weak. if someone challenges our big guy then he should accept that offer unless it was going to hurt the team. in this tourny, im not sure that its that big a deal to worry about scores or outcomes.

when you are advertised as the big gun in the W, the toughest, most feared fighter in the entire league, i expect to see him go and show his stuff when he gets a chance. when hes challenged, i would prefer our big tough guy not turn and skate away.

no where did i say i wanted him to get thrown out of the game, take an instigator, act selfishly, disobey his coaches or in any way disadvantage the team. on the contrary, i wanted him to engage a willing combatant and show us all what hes got.

not fighting for fear of injury or reduced ice time because you are in the box- in this setting-a prospect preseason tourny- is weak.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Hmm.. protecting our star scoring winger from fighting Carcillo, vs a staged fight with a career goon in a tied game during a prospect tournament. Yeah, clearly the same situation.

He wasn't coming to anyone's aid. The guy was simply trying to start a fight with him to take him out of the game for 5 minutes. Stop making stuff up.
if you are really trying to sell us on mcilrath protecting gaby from carcillo you are stretching things some- no...alot.

by the time mcilrath is ready to actually be in a position to even attempt that, who knows who we will have to protect or whom he will have to protect against.

dylan is probably, at best, 3 years away from the nhl. and that maybe the best case scenerio.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:23 PM
NYR Viper

McD = McDonagh

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
McD = McDonagh
My bad, typo.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
My bad, typo.
No worries. I didn't even read the convo. Just answering the question. I am sure he understood who you were talking about.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
if you are really trying to sell us on mcilrath protecting gaby from carcillo you are stretching things some- no...alot.

by the time mcilrath is ready to actually be in a position to even attempt that, who knows who we will have to protect or whom he will have to protect against.

dylan is probably, at best, 3 years away from the nhl. and that maybe the best case scenerio.
Oh my god. Are your reading comprehension and analytical skills seriously that limited? That's not at all what he was saying.

He was disputing the idea that Girardi refusing to step in after Carcillo started punching Gaborik is somehow a similar situation to McIlrath refusing a staged fight with a nobody in a prospect tournament.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Oh my god. Are your reading comprehension and analytical skills seriously that limited? That's not at all what he was saying.

He was disputing the idea that Girardi refusing to step in after Carcillo started punching Gaborik is somehow a similar situation to McIlrath refusing a staged fight with a nobody in a prospect tournament.
im sorry. you are correct. i didnt read the original exchange. i misread what was intended.

my point remains. it may be sometime before mcilrath is protecting anyone for us.

im sure vlad tarasenko will have scored 50 nhl goals by then. easy.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
this organization has some immediate needs and dylan wasnt the best pick to address those short term and long term needs imo.
Outside of the first two picks, there wasn't a remote possibility of a short term solution. Period. So you can eliminate half of your argument right there. And perhaps you can help me pick my fantasy team this week since you're so good at predicting the future?

The rest of that post is nyahnyahnyahnyah-nyahh-nyahhh malarky that I'm not going to respond to.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:44 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
my point remains. it may be sometime before mcilrath is protecting anyone for us.
It's been stated over and over again that Mc is probably 5 years out, so essentially, you agree with most people on these boards.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Levitate

Quote:
It's been stated over and over again that Mc is probably 5 years out, so essentially, you agree with most people on these boards.
5 years out might be a bit excessive. That's 3 years in the AHL

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
look, theres a reason why i didnt like the pick and 3 yrs before he may help us is only part of it. if he booms, hell be a stud. period.

if he busts, hell be a guy who can play 3rd pair and punch people. god help us if that happens as he will become a living example of whats wrong with this organization.

would i have preferred vlad tarasenko at 10 ? um. yes. we need dynamic offensive players. bad. and he is/will be just that and he will play top 6 in the nhl within the next 2 years.

if i have to wait 5 years to see dylan play at a high level for us, atleast i can see what he can do with his fists right now. thats not too much to ask.

Old
09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Crossbar it's obvious you're just trying to save face here.. Just admit the kid has no business fighting in a prospects tournament that means nothing in terms of his development... It's a tournament for team's to gauge their prospects perform against other teams top prospects... It's not a fight night showcase.... If the Rangers are interested in seeing how Dylan fights they'll see plenty of it this season with Moose Jaw.... This is ridiculous....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
FOXHOUND*

Uhhh, wouldn't you rather see him play defense? I think most sane people would.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
DrZoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Uhhh, wouldn't you rather see him play defense? I think most sane people would.
Absolutely not! The kid was drafted as a goon! To FIGHT! SO LET'S SEE WHAT HE CAN DO!

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
this thread proves a point that I have tried to make a thousand times on here. People love to fight with other on here just for the sake of doing it. The kid is a monster and can fight, he isn't bob probert and never will be but is game and trys hard to be tough. The way the kid wll make it to the NHL and Stay in the NHL is by improving his game and becoming better at playing hockey and not fighting. All you 20033030 fake gm's that post on here and wanted other players stop making comments wait a few years and let the kid pan out or be a bust before killing him.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote