HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Game two: Leafs vs Pens

Old
09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

vCash: 500
Is the game that is being shown on line, over yet?

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrstorm View Post
leafsrule123 should have some sort of suspension, it's one thing to accidentally post it in a thread title but entirely another to go into the hour delay thread. Seriously, takes all the fun out of it. Some of us don't have access to the Rogers feed and have no choice other than to watch the hour delay.

Anyway, Scrivens was awesome. Some flashes from McKegg and Ryan, Crescenzi doesn't appear to be a fighter, and Irwin seems to have trouble up the center with the puck but isn't bad once he's got it in the oppositions end.
He's an 18-year-old kid against a 21-year-old power forward (who's physically ready & expected to play alongside Sydney Crosby)...

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Maximum Cheddar

I thought that Scrivens, Blacker and Gyspers up until the last goal (Hard luck Simon) were the best Leafs tonight. I'm sorry but in my humble opinion none of the forwards really stood out. On the down side I wanted to see Kadri, Mueller, Holzer and Ross play and none of them were in the line-up. I also suspect that this is the type of game we will see from the big club this year. Tight defence, good effort and goaltending but not enough firepower. But on the bright note I'm really impressed with or defensive prospects: Holzer, Aulie, Mikus, Blacker, Gyspers and our goaltending situation seen pretty good too.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Fyrstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
He's an 18-year-old kid against a 21-year-old power forward (who's physically ready & expected to play alongside Sydney Crosby)...
Was meant more of a tongue in cheek sort of thing rather than a literal observation And if that's the case why did the 21-year old go after him with such enthusiasm, usually the fighters know if they outmatch the other kid and go easy on him (if thats the case, I don't know the 18-year old from Bob)

Fyrstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Nyax

That game was brutal. Scrivens looked really good, if it wasn't for him the Pens would have won 5-1. The goalie depth in the organization is better than I can ever remember it being. The Leafs had no offence going at all, and the powerplay was putrid. You've got to score when you have a full two minute 5 on 3. Kadri, Mueller and Ross were definitly missed. Pittsburgh dressed a more experienced team then the Leafs did so they should have won.

Where are all of these strange defencemen coming from? It seems like there is a new one on the team every day. I think Mikus should have played in this tournament as opposed to some guy who will play in the ECHL. I also would have liked to see Caputi in this tournament, ala Tangradi and Jeffrey on the Pens.

Hopefully the line-up will be better for the Ottawa game. I wonder who plays goal in that one?

Nyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:40 PM
mooseOAK*

- Good effort by the kids against a more experienced opponent.

- Thought before the game that Scrivens would be a weakness, oops.

- No wonder Ryan is used in a shutdown role at Windsor, he's fast and strong.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post

Hopefully the line-up will be better for the Ottawa game. I wonder who plays goal in that one?
Engelage.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Coach Bombay

I really liked Scrivens in this one. One of my favourite plays by him was when Cowan got hurt and the fights were taking place he went behind the net and blocked cowan from being trampled. Hopefully Cowan is okay, didnt see if he came back or not

Coach Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
RedRenegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrstorm View Post
Was meant more of a tongue in cheek sort of thing rather than a literal observation And if that's the case why did the 21-year old go after him with such enthusiasm, usually the fighters know if they outmatch the other kid and go easy on him (if thats the case, I don't know the 18-year old from Bob)
The other guy was also wearing a visor. It's a smart move not trying to punch him, could've hurt his hand and ended his tournament early.

RedRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
GrizzLeaf

Scrivens really impressed me tonite.

The only forward that stood out for me, was McKegg. He did a lot of the little things right, made very few mistakes, and had a couple of chances/plays. For an 18 year old he impresses. Considering that I had never heard of him before. That kid has some great hockey sense, quick feet and seems motivated.

Stefonavic (spell?) stood out for me as well, but for a negative reason. He has no hustle at all, and seems to dish off the puck in a hurry if he's threatened with the body (a la Hoglund). A couple of times, the puck was in the offensive zone, his side, and he made very little effort to go and dig it out, or at least occupy the defender getting the puck. Not liking that guy, at all.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
TyBOZAK*

i got sad

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
TyBOZAK*

Also Scrivens was AMAZING in net.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Fyrstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnshow View Post
I really liked Scrivens in this one. One of my favourite plays by him was when Cowan got hurt and the fights were taking place he went behind the net and blocked cowan from being trampled. Hopefully Cowan is okay, didnt see if he came back or not
Agreed, I really liked that team mentality as well.

I thought I heard Cowans name at the start of the third but I don't think he came back, didn't hear the name the rest of the game.

Fyrstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBOZAK View Post
i got sad
It's ok.

In a few more weeks, we'll get to see an NHL calibre Penguins team skate around the Leafs zone, while the Leafs, NHL calibre goalie tries to stand on his head. As the Leafs NHL calibre forwards fruitlessly drive up ice, shoot wide/loose the puck/bounce it off the goalie....

Ah, man. Now I'm sad.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Jerry D'Amigo, I think, will benefit a lot playing top line minutes in the AHL. He's physically ready for the NHL right now. His lower body strength is outstanding. I think he needs to work on his skills with the puck. He's got potential. Maybe not 1st line potential, but I can see him becoming a 20g-30a third liner, which for a 6th rounder is great.

09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Who is this Crezenski guy?

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Beleafer4

I did not really like this game. We were totally dominated!
a meuller-kadri-ross line could have really helped us out today...
Olden was okay- he made smart passes but did not take the smartest shots
gysbers and blacker were good- I have cleary underestimated gysbers (bc i never heard of him before), he is a legit prospect.
Mckegg was good- no big plays but no big mistakes
D`Amigo was good- he won alot of puck battles and kept bringing it in front of the net but no one was there.
Irwin was ok- his skating is what gets critisized but I feel that his decision making is what holds him down- he thinks and reacts much too slowly.
Scrivens was awsome- both goalies played well but scrivens left me really impressed. He was our halak.

It would have been great if more than 1 of the big 4 played this game but.. oh well.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
- Good effort by the kids against a more experienced opponent.

- Thought before the game that Scrivens would be a weakness, oops.

- No wonder Ryan is used in a shutdown role at Windsor, he's fast and strong.
Didn't get to watch tonights game, but nice to see some positive comments about some of the younger players in this thread.

Olden must be amongst the youngest in the tournament. He reminds me of another 6'4", 18 year old from about 13 years ago (just the little bit of play and his physical stance on the ice from the video's from Sweden).

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the line up in 2 years as a rookie.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
bionic

Considering how experienced that Pittsburge team is and the leafs were playing without Kadri, Ross and Meuller I thought they held there own. The fact that scrivens stood on his head also helped.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:20 PM
JSBach

they lost to Pittsburgh?! ugh, that team's terrible!

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
WTFMAN99

Way I look at this loss, we got to see Scrivens play real well, I am glad we got him.

Overall though we had a lot of great players not in the line up for us and they had 10 AHLers who have quite a bit of collective expierence over our guys, and they also had the benefit of some chemistry.

Kadri, Ross, Olden, Holzer, and Aulie would of levelled the playing field though I gotta believe.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

It was hard to pick out a good forward in the game that was so low scoring and mostly in the defensive end. The Maple Leafs really didn't have much sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

Olden's shot is so weak at this stage and as my friend put it "It looks like he's saucer passing pucks to the net instead of shooting them". But he has the skill and speed, he'll just need the seasoning - which is what we all knew coming into this tournament.

McKegg looked more consistent. For me, his play dropped off throughout the game yesterday. He had better control of the puck. Crescenzi is someone I'm starting to warm up to. He showed more puck ability tonight, and was strong on the draws. When the kid hits the whole arena hears it. Same with Carrick, Carrick played with a bit more confidence with the puck. D'Amigo has really good hockey sense and he's strong/fast for a guy his size. He's never going to be one to 'wow' people IMO, he's just going to be a dependable player who's going to score and show up when he needs to. Even at the WJC he wasn't a standout, but he kept putting up points. So I think whoever is waiting for him to come out and dominate these games offensively doesn't really understand his game style. Ryan's play is no surprise to me, and I love his consistency. He had a chance for another goal tonight but bobbled a pass on the 5-on-3. Great two-way game from him, and he was wearing an A which was nice to see.

Gysbers was solid, and Blacker had a good game - albeit a bit more high risk then Gysbers. What impresses me about Gysbers is his ability to make the simple plays. He's not flashy, he's just been solid. He was one of the defenders who were consistently able to make tape-to-tape passes on the breakout. Dorion was another player who I thought played well in an offensive role from the blue line. Jackson played better tonight, but I still am not a huge fan of him - he just seems to panic a bit too much and made some brutal passes that were either turned over or were sent to no one.

Scrivens was solid. He's extremely quick down low, and has good puck handling skills. Rebound control could use some work, but can't complain after that showing. He was more confident between the pipes then Rynnas was, but he's more experienced on this type of ice surface also.

All-in-all the Maple Leafs didn't deserve the win and it could have been a lot more lop sided had it not been for some timely saves by Scrivens.

09-12-2010, 11:03 PM
67Cup

Nicholls also looked pretty good for a 7th round choice. He has good size and skates well. Looking at the Saskatoon stats from last season, it appears he might have a chance at playing on the first line this year. If so, I think his stats might show a big improvement. It's the same case with Carrick at Brampton.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

you know when your prospect pool is deep is when three of your stand out players at the rookie tournament are at the bottom of your prospect list(gysbers, olden,scrivens)

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:16 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
you know when your prospect pool is deep is when three of your stand out players at the rookie tournament are at the bottom of your prospect list(gysbers, olden,scrivens)
either that or the supposed good ones are busts

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote