HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game two: Leafs vs Pens

Old
09-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
you know when your prospect pool is deep is when three of your stand out players at the rookie tournament are at the bottom of your prospect list(gysbers, olden,scrivens)
Nah. Forget about the rankings. Gysbers and Scrivens are 23 and 24 respectively. They have to stand out at this level.
Olden only just turned 18. With him looking up for it should be an order of magnitude more encouraging. I agree he looks good btw. Weak physically which he has lots of time to deal with, but nice hands and skating and seemed to know what he was doing out there.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Collegedude84*

The thing I like about the prospects are the pool is deep, and there all hungry for a spot on the big team, which is going to push the leaf players that much harder to keep thier jobs, because they know the moment they slack off, guys like (mckegg/ross/d'mago/kadri/olden etc) are gonna swoop in and take the job. A hungry prospect pool forces the leaf players to work extra hard, and strong work ethic leads to scoring chances which lead to goals, which means more wins for the leafs. It's a well oiled machine working from the bottom all the way to the top. I like what Burkie has done here.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:58 AM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Who is this Crezenski guy?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect....htm?dpid=8536

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:00 AM
catgoldfish

Man the Leafs certainly have alot of big guys in the rookie camp wow.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=536934

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:18 AM
iBlaze81

gysbers was very impressive, great poise with the puck, and moved the puck well on the pp
blacker was soild but made some poor decisions

D'Amigo, showed great hustle, and good battling skills, i hope joins the Marlies this year.
Olden is gonna be a good one in few years
Scrivens was amazing

all in all great effort against a really good Pitt team. Future looks good.

iBlaze81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Antropovsky

Mueller/Kadri/Aulie - I have no problem losing this game by one goal, considering we're missing 3 of our closest to NHL ready prospects, due to injury.

All 3 seem to be on the cusp.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:14 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Scrivens played like a beast in Net... that goal was just pure luck...

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:41 AM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
It was hard to pick out a good forward in the game that was so low scoring and mostly in the defensive end. The Maple Leafs really didn't have much sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

Olden's shot is so weak at this stage and as my friend put it "It looks like he's saucer passing pucks to the net instead of shooting them". But he has the skill and speed, he'll just need the seasoning - which is what we all knew coming into this tournament.

McKegg looked more consistent. For me, his play dropped off throughout the game yesterday. He had better control of the puck. Crescenzi is someone I'm starting to warm up to. He showed more puck ability tonight, and was strong on the draws. When the kid hits the whole arena hears it. Same with Carrick, Carrick played with a bit more confidence with the puck. D'Amigo has really good hockey sense and he's strong/fast for a guy his size. He's never going to be one to 'wow' people IMO, he's just going to be a dependable player who's going to score and show up when he needs to. Even at the WJC he wasn't a standout, but he kept putting up points. So I think whoever is waiting for him to come out and dominate these games offensively doesn't really understand his game style. Ryan's play is no surprise to me, and I love his consistency. He had a chance for another goal tonight but bobbled a pass on the 5-on-3. Great two-way game from him, and he was wearing an A which was nice to see.

Gysbers was solid, and Blacker had a good game - albeit a bit more high risk then Gysbers. What impresses me about Gysbers is his ability to make the simple plays. He's not flashy, he's just been solid. He was one of the defenders who were consistently able to make tape-to-tape passes on the breakout. Dorion was another player who I thought played well in an offensive role from the blue line. Jackson played better tonight, but I still am not a huge fan of him - he just seems to panic a bit too much and made some brutal passes that were either turned over or were sent to no one.

Scrivens was solid. He's extremely quick down low, and has good puck handling skills. Rebound control could use some work, but can't complain after that showing. He was more confident between the pipes then Rynnas was, but he's more experienced on this type of ice surface also.

All-in-all the Maple Leafs didn't deserve the win and it could have been a lot more lop sided had it not been for some timely saves by Scrivens.
Thanks for the excellent analysis. I'm particularly excited about both McKegg and Olden. I cannot understand where these McKegg comparisons to Stajan have come from. They are nothing alike. McKegg has great talent with the puck and it seems to me that he will likely actualize that natural ability better than Stajan did should we take care not to push him too early.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:55 AM
SprDaVE

McKegg was probably our best 'offensive' forward. He needs some seasoning and development obviously but I really see his skill and vision with the puck. His speed also is certainly a lot better than what was said - which was because of an injury he suffered at last year I do beieve.

Ryan had a great game as well. Strong forechecker and used his speed well. I don't think we should expect anything more in his offensive game however... time will tell.

Olden has a lot of hidden potential but is still pretty raw and lanky. Hopefully his development is one the Leafs can really develop.

D'Amigo, even though didn't score or have a bunch of offensive chances, forechecked hard and really used his speed. The guy has extremely good balance and a low center of gravity. With some time in the AHL, he'll be a very strong 2-way player.

Gysbers has been the best defenseman by far this tournament for the Leafs. Blacker was solid as well but hopefully he calms down with the turnovers.

Scrivens was surprisingly very good. I thought he'd be our 'weakness' tonight.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Leafsman

One thing I noticed in both games is that besides the odd great hit, this team has been playing soft. Granted after a player gets blind-sided which has been happening far too frequently someone does step up and defend his team mate. The only problem is that playing physical after someone gets cheap shoted is reactive and not proactive.

This team needs to take the game to the other team and play harder and hit harder. Both teams so far have taken way too many liberties and how can the young guys be expected to play to their full potential when they are looking over their shoulder.

You can see in both games a little deflation in the 2nd period which leads to momentum loss (not overly concerned in the 1st game as they won anyway). I think if they focus a littler more on being a little mor physical there will be much better sustained pressure and momentum.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:56 AM
81Leafs50

How low are the Pens on prsopects?

their whole was basically their AHL team.

There were guys in the tournament that have played 2 full seasons in the AHL.

Since trafting Crosby, Malkin, and Staal they have drafted nothing decent it looks like.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:02 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
One thing I noticed in both games is that besides the odd great hit, this team has been playing soft. Granted after a player gets blind-sided which has been happening far too frequently someone does step up and defend his team mate. The only problem is that playing physical after someone gets cheap shoted is reactive and not proactive.

This team needs to take the game to the other team and play harder and hit harder. Both teams so far have taken way too many liberties and how can the young guys be expected to play to their full potential when they are looking over their shoulder.

You can see in both games a little deflation in the 2nd period which leads to momentum loss (not overly concerned in the 1st game as they won anyway). I think if they focus a littler more on being a little mor physical there will be much better sustained pressure and momentum.
I take this tournament as just an opportunity to see our rookies in action a little. It's not about winning games or even team play (since they haven't exactly had much time together).

It's just a few games to showcase some rookies for their respective teams.

I do agree that some of the hits were borderline out there, but that's just a few individuals that weren't letting up, when their "target" was in a vulnerable position. And with that stupid instigator penalty, there's not a lot one can do to correct that behavior, in an opponent.

GrizzLeaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:06 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
How low are the Pens on prsopects?

their whole was basically their AHL team.

There were guys in the tournament that have played 2 full seasons in the AHL.

Since trafting Crosby, Malkin, and Staal they have drafted nothing decent it looks like.
They had 10 AHL vets out there. That's basically half the team. That just goes to show that after a little success at the NHL level, their prospects pool is getting shallow. This is where scouting well for the draft means so much. Detroit anyone?

That's pretty much why they outplayed the Leafs, last night. They gelled well, whereas the Leafs had some individuals that played well, and a few players that played well together, but no single line that gelled into a unit.

GrizzLeaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
They had 10 AHL vets out there.
It was 7. CPZ included who played 9 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50
"There were guys in the tournament that have played 2 full seasons in the AHL."
1 player (Jeffrey)

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Dark Passenger

One thng to remember, the Pens had a lot more players with AHL experience in the lineup. This does make a difference, as they would have more players who are used to playing with each other. Can't be easy throwing together a bunch of youngsters who have never played with each other. It really showed last night during stints of puck possession. You could see Pitt had a little more idea of where they needed to be on the ice.

Just some thoughts.

Blacker: seemed to get more ice time and looked much better. He looks a more mature player this year. Last year, he looked a really good offensive defenceman, but was a little reckless. Seems to be picking his spots a little more. Expecting a big season from him in junior.

Ryan: More impressed by him than I thought. Not flashy and probably never a big scorer, but does the little things well and seems a good team guy.

Irwin: His goal was fantastic and has more skill than I thought. Probably end up in the Marlies due to numbers, but he wouldnt look out of place on a 3rd or 4th line.

Gysbers: Very impressed with this guy over the two games. Big rangy defenceman,good reach and seems to play smart. Passes the puck well and makes good decisions.

McKegg: Very impressed. Not a bad skater, but not a speed demon. Very intelligent player and looks to be a good all round center. He's got #2 centre written all over him if he keeps up his development.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
I thought Scrivens was pure crazy. Very flexible, aggressive and was really sharp.

Liked Stephanivoch, good combo of speed/ size and hands. Got an assist and didn't look too bad in the Offensive zone. Looks like he can shape into a nice forward in a year or two if he works hard enough.

McKegg, Olden, Mueller and Blacker stood out the most.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:05 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://penguins.nhl.com/v2/ext/pdf/2...mentRoster.pdf

According to Penguins site, but I don't know who dressed.

Looks like 5 players under 20, three 20 year olds, seven 21 year olds, eight 22 and older, just a quick look.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=536927

Quote:
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton head coach John Hynes and assistant coach Alain Nasreddine will oversee the players attending the camp. Among the players taking part are promising prospects Eric Tangradi, Dustin Jeffrey and Simon Despres.

Tangradi (6-foot-4, 225 pounds) made his NHL debut last year, appearing in one game for Pittsburgh April 11 at NY Islanders. The 21-year-old forward completed his first season with WBS in 2009-10, posting 17 goals and 39 points in 65 games. Tangradi, a Philadelphia, Pa. native, was a second-round pick (42nd overall) by Anaheim in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Jeffrey led WBS in assists (47), points (71) and plus-minus rating (+16), while placing second in goals (24). Jeffrey’s 71 points ranked 11th (tied) in the American Hockey League. For his efforts, the 22-year-old Sarnia, Ontario native was named to the AHL Canadian All-Star Team.

Despres, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (30th overall) in the 2009 Draft, enjoyed his best season with Saint John of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
Other prospects attending the camp include: defenseman Carl Sneep, who helped lead Boston College to two NCAA championships in the last three years; ...

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:07 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
I thought Scrivens was pure crazy. Very flexible, aggressive and was really sharp.

Liked Stephanivoch, good combo of speed/ size and hands. Got an assist and didn't look too bad in the Offensive zone. Looks like he can shape into a nice forward in a year or two if he works hard enough.

Good call on Stefanovich.

I actually saw him drive to the net and play in traffic, something he hasn't done much in his Junior years.

Hopefully he can really be a scoring threat for the Marlies this year.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:09 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post

In the game in 6 minutes, they showed one play where Stefanovich drove around the defenders and slid a pass out in front onto Ryan's stick. I don't think Ryan even knew he had received the pass because he didn't even shoot.

It was a good play by Stefanovich and Ryan for driving the net. I'd speculate if they had some time together Ryan would have been more prepared for the pass. Kind of like last season when Kulemin carried the puck into the zone sucked two men to him in traffic and put the puck on Kessel's stick and everyone including Kessel seemed completely shocked by the play.

Chemistry and knowing each other is huge.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

According to Penguins site, but I don't know who dressed.
Grant for obvious reasons and Veilleux were the scratched skaters.

I realise Toronto got a larger roster but you also got more (10) 22+ players and 8 that played in the AHL. The experience difference can't have been as large as some here (and the announcers) portrayed it to be. I don't know exactly who played and who didnt though.

Last edited by stefanh: 09-13-2010 at 09:32 AM.
stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
I hope Mueller is given a chance in the big club.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
They had 10 AHL vets out there. That's basically half the team. That just goes to show that after a little success at the NHL level, their prospects pool is getting shallow. This is where scouting well for the draft means so much. Detroit anyone?

That's pretty much why they outplayed the Leafs, last night. They gelled well, whereas the Leafs had some individuals that played well, and a few players that played well together, but no single line that gelled into a unit.
Jeffery was the only player that has played two years in the AHL and it showed. Their prospect pool is shallow because they have been so good the past few years that they don't draft very high. That's the way the draft is designed. They have a lot of good prospects but not many top end guys that's why they are older.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Fearless

It seems as though gysber plays a similar play like Gunnarson. calm, not so flashy, but is consistent and does his job

Last edited by Fearless: 09-13-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
Grant for obvious reasons and Veilleux were the scratched skaters.

I realise Toronto got a larger roster but you also got more (10) 22+ players and 8 that played in the AHL. The experience difference can't have been as large as some here (and the announcers) portrayed it to be. I don't know exactly who played and who didnt though.
Maybe a good representation would be that a player like Dustiin Jeffrey has played far more AHL games than the entire Leafs rookie roster combined.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
hockeysense*

I don't know why people are losing sleep over a rookie game. They are playing for a shot to try out, not to win meaningless games. Chances are that they have been requested to play under a system rather than run and gun barnburners, so why ***** and moan about how a team looked?

I care about the other team AKA the Toronto Maple Leafs. Perhaps certain people should do the same.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote