HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Game two: Leafs vs Pens

Old
09-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Median

vCash: 500
The deteriorated offense without Kadri/Ross/Mueller was very noticeable compared to game 1, but it was still a surprisingly close game thanks to Scrivens.

Median is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Up to this point I had assumed Scrivens was our weakest goalie prospect out of the 3 (Scrivens, Rynnas and Reimer) but from this game I can see that he has a lot more talent then I had thought. What a game from him. Again a small sample size, but my first impression of him is that he has a great mentality.

One guy that impresses me with his tenacity and attitude is Sam Carrick. I think this kid could become an excellent energy guy in the NHL. A 3rd/4th center is what I see from him and I think he could become a fan favourite with that attitude.

Kenny Ryan - Sam Carrick - Brad Ross = future 3rd line> Maybe.

I think Olden is getting a lot of attention and rightfully so, but this guy has a lot of work to do. He's an exciting prospect.

I had heard McKegg had skating issues but if these rookiee games are any indication at all, I think that concern can be laid to rest. He's probably a longer term project like Olden but he could be very good one day. He and Olden also seem to have a bit of chemistry already.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Tinalera

Just in general terms, nice to see after summer on these forums of tempers flaring-it's really nice to see everyone finding some real positives in Toronto's prospect system. These games are a good way getting back to watching hockey and seeing some quite intriguing prospective talent.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:31 AM
smitty10

I think we definately missed Kadri, Mueller and Ross up front as well as Holzer on the point, but I think the Leafs played very well. I was very impressed with Scrivens play, he really held us in when we should have been losing.

I haven't heard anyone really mention Stefanovich, but I think he played a fairly solid game. I would have liked to have seen him get a few more scoring chances though, but I think his defensive play and play away from the puck has definately improved since last season. I know his production dropped this past season, but maybe he can be our version of Jan Mursak, who looks to have a spot on the Red Wings in the near future.

Also does anyone know if Engelage still has a contract with the Marlies/Leafs?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Carrick surprised me. Him and McKegg had a couple of great shifts in the Pens' end. He seemed to make a smart play every time - no turnovers of what I recall- and has some good hands as well. Also took some heavy hits in the corner and shrugged them off. All in all, I really enjoyed watching him.

Irwin started the game really well. Nice goal. Laid one huge hit some point in the game. Seemed pretty determined. I think he would be better suited to playing wing than centre. Could be alright in a 3rd or 4th line capacity. Just doesn't seem to have the overall awareness to play centre. The powerplay was terrible but him, Blacker and/or Gysbers had some decent puck movement.

Ryan was excellent on the forecheck.

Scrivens was top-notch.

babblemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Really like Blacker. Guarantee that he will be on our roster opening night 2011/2012
i have really liked this guy when he was in junior. My dad went to a game in oshawa (my home town) and thought blacker was a top pick, he said he was so good and dominated the game. when i said the leafs picked him in the 2nd round he was like...OMG!

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i have really liked this guy when he was in junior. My dad went to a game in oshawa (my home town) and thought blacker was a top pick, he said he was so good and dominated the game. when i said the leafs picked him in the 2nd round he was like...OMG!
I don't watch nearly as many Generals games as I once did. I had seen alot of Eager-Horton-Nolan Beckford Tseu and Ranger back in the days. Glad to say i saw Tavares live a few times, De Haan wasn't that impressive to me when I watched him several times. Clearly, NHL scouts (the isles in particular) thought differently.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Fyrstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
Man the Leafs certainly have alot of big guys in the rookie camp wow.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=536934
Hehe Yeah, 5 at 6'5!

Fyrstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
It was hard to pick out a good forward in the game that was so low scoring and mostly in the defensive end. The Maple Leafs really didn't have much sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

Olden's shot is so weak at this stage and as my friend put it "It looks like he's saucer passing pucks to the net instead of shooting them". But he has the skill and speed, he'll just need the seasoning - which is what we all knew coming into this tournament.

McKegg looked more consistent. For me, his play dropped off throughout the game yesterday. He had better control of the puck. Crescenzi is someone I'm starting to warm up to. He showed more puck ability tonight, and was strong on the draws. When the kid hits the whole arena hears it. Same with Carrick, Carrick played with a bit more confidence with the puck. D'Amigo has really good hockey sense and he's strong/fast for a guy his size. He's never going to be one to 'wow' people IMO, he's just going to be a dependable player who's going to score and show up when he needs to. Even at the WJC he wasn't a standout, but he kept putting up points. So I think whoever is waiting for him to come out and dominate these games offensively doesn't really understand his game style. Ryan's play is no surprise to me, and I love his consistency. He had a chance for another goal tonight but bobbled a pass on the 5-on-3. Great two-way game from him, and he was wearing an A which was nice to see.

Gysbers was solid, and Blacker had a good game - albeit a bit more high risk then Gysbers. What impresses me about Gysbers is his ability to make the simple plays. He's not flashy, he's just been solid. He was one of the defenders who were consistently able to make tape-to-tape passes on the breakout. Dorion was another player who I thought played well in an offensive role from the blue line. Jackson played better tonight, but I still am not a huge fan of him - he just seems to panic a bit too much and made some brutal passes that were either turned over or were sent to no one.

Scrivens was solid. He's extremely quick down low, and has good puck handling skills. Rebound control could use some work, but can't complain after that showing. He was more confident between the pipes then Rynnas was, but he's more experienced on this type of ice surface also.

All-in-all the Maple Leafs didn't deserve the win and it could have been a lot more lop sided had it not been for some timely saves by Scrivens.
Yeah, from what I've gathered on him, and I haven't seen much of the guy, is that he simply needs to add some weight. He was listed as 6'3 172, a pretty common size for a kid his age. He's not expected to be in the NHL for at least a few years which is perfectly reasonable and I'm sure by then he'll be approaching the 200 lb mark. That's the only knock on the guy really, just needs to add some weight.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
wendelclark17

Players that impressed from last night:

Blacker - He was steady and is ready for the AHL.
McKegg - Probably the best player in a leaf uniform yesterday. He has good speed, makes smart plays with the puck and has good awareness around the net.
Olden - For an 18 year old, he really impressed me. He isnt shy to shoot the puck and has fairly decent hands. If the leafs develop this kid properly he could definitely be a 3rd round gem.

Players like Irwin, D'Amigo, Ryan looked really ineffective. (Aside from the Irwin goal). And I was expecting more out of them.

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
MLHS Joe C

Blacker can't play in the AHL.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Jeffery was the only player that has played two years in the AHL and it showed. Their prospect pool is shallow because they have been so good the past few years that they don't draft very high. That's the way the draft is designed. They have a lot of good prospects but not many top end guys that's why they are older.
And the fact they have been trading picks and prospects to acquire players at the deadline.

However, they are starting to build their pool the last couple of years.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
Blacker can't play in the AHL.
not disagreeing with you, and going back to junior might be best, but why do you say this? he's stood out to me as much as anyone so far.

anyways, what an end to that game. Scrivens loses sight of the puck for a split second and that does it. pretty brutal way to finish after the performance he had. definitely impressed me more than Rynnas (though Rynnas played well too).

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
footesh

I was at Saturday's and last night's game. Players that stood out to me were D'Amigo, McKegg, and Scrivens. Also after last night, there was a 30 min. autograph signing which we were pretty quick to get to.

I'm a Wings fan, but it was pretty cool to meet some of the guys. Ross, Mueller and Olden would be my fav Leafs prospects.

footesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
not disagreeing with you, and going back to junior might be best, but why do you say this? he's stood out to me as much as anyone so far.

anyways, what an end to that game. Scrivens loses sight of the puck for a split second and that does it. pretty brutal way to finish after the performance he had. definitely impressed me more than Rynnas (though Rynnas played well too).
I believe Blacker is too young and hasn't played enough OHL seasons to play in the AHL.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Dutch Dreams

A CHL player must play 4 years in league before eligible for pro.

How was Drew Paris this game? I thought he was our best defenseman last game. A big guy, anticipates well, quite a crease presence and can rattle guys with his size and physical play.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Griffey Jrs Soul View Post
A CHL player must play 4 years in league before eligible for pro.

How was Drew Paris this game? I thought he was our best defenseman last game. A big guy, anticipates well, quite a crease presence and can rattle guys with his size and physical play.
Didn't play.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
67Cup

To expand at little bit on the point about Blacker going to junior: Blacker is 19 years of age which means he must play either in the NHL or junior. The one exception is for a player who has completed four major junior seasons, which is not the case with Blacker. It is very unlikely he will make the Leafs, hence he will almost certainly be in the OHL this year. That is probably a good thing for his development anyways. He will have a chance to dominate at this level.

I agree with most of what has been in this thread. Olden does need strength. When his arms grow stronger, his shot will also improve. Stefanovich does show flashes. That foray down the off wing where he cut in past the defender and then dished off to Ryan was a major league play. Ryan missed the pass but that was not Stefanovich's fault. Carrick surprised me again with his quickness and aggressiveness. The one thing I disagree with has to do with McKegg's skating. I think it definitely needs work. He doesn't look as if he presently has the top gear most NHL forwards have. This is not to run him down. As I said in another post, given health and decent linemates, I think he will challenge for the OHL scoring lead this year or next. But he is definitely not fast.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:59 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post

I wasn't clear. He literally can't because he's not eligible.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
KilPhessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
I wasn't clear. He literally can't because he's not eligible.
Didnt he play a few games last year for the marlies near the end? Or was that just because his OHL team was eliminated.

KilPhessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilPhessel View Post
Didnt he play a few games last year for the marlies near the end? Or was that just because his OHL team was eliminated.
he did. found this...

Quote:
The way it works is rather simple. A CHL player whose rights are held by an NHL team is only eligible to play a full season in the AHL if:

(a) the player will turn 20 years of age by December 31st of the season in question;
OR
(b) the player has already completed four seasons of Junior eligibility.
Blacker will be 19 still by Dec 31st, and has only played 3 OHL seasons. guess that answers that...but i'm not sue why ineligible players would be allowed to join near the end of the season...

edit

here it is:

Quote:
(ii) once a team’s CHL season and/or playoffs has concluded, their players are no longer subject to the agreement (hence the late-season ‘callups’ to the AHL);

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Scrivens was great in net,go to see the boys stick up for each other.
does he become the starter with the Marlies ? not getting ahead of myself,just throwing the question out there.

olden looks good,no wonder Burke made that move.

good snipe by Irwin ,not the greatest skater but he has the size & knows where the net is .

can't see Dale Mitchell playing for the Leafs.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
To expand at little bit on the point about Blacker going to junior: Blacker is 19 years of age which means he must play either in the NHL or junior. The one exception is for a player who has completed four major junior seasons, which is not the case with Blacker. It is very unlikely he will make the Leafs, hence he will almost certainly be in the OHL this year. That is probably a good thing for his development anyways. He will have a chance to dominate at this level.

I agree with most of what has been in this thread. Olden does need strength. When his arms grow stronger, his shot will also improve. Stefanovich does show flashes. That foray down the off wing where he cut in past the defender and then dished off to Ryan was a major league play. Ryan missed the pass but that was not Stefanovich's fault. Carrick surprised me again with his quickness and aggressiveness. The one thing I disagree with has to do with McKegg's skating. I think it definitely needs work. He doesn't look as if he presently has the top gear most NHL forwards have. This is not to run him down. As I said in another post, given health and decent linemates, I think he will challenge for the OHL scoring lead this year or next. But he is definitely not fast.
Thanks for claryifing i didnt really understand the NHL/AHL age cutoff thing before I read. I think it's best if Blackner goes back to juniour for another year, because really theres no way he's cracking our blueline with guys like: Kaberle, Beauch, Phaneuf, Schenn and Gunnar already having spots on this team.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:35 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Just a few thoughts a couple of days late.

McKegg was by far the most impressive player for the Leafs. His offensive instincts are great, he seems to easily create chances with his smarts.

Carrick also impressed me. Good cycler. Not afraid of anything. He has limitied offensive upside, but seems to be very self-aware and doesn't play over his head. If we're lucky, he can turn into a good 3rd line player.

Ryan had a decent game. I like his package of skills but he just needs to figure out what kind of player he is going to be. I think this year in Windsor should help him a lot.

Irwin's still looking a little lost to me. Obviously that goals was a great shot, but I just don't see him as an NHL player the way he is playing.

Olden showed some good instincts, but his game is very incomplete. He'd make a great little pass and then wouldn't be there to complete the play. So raw at this point. He needs a lot of seasoning, but last year was his first year playing outside of Norway so it's understandable.

Blacker seems to be a very polarizing player. I like him and his skill level is very good, but some people here seem to be blind to the amount of errors he makes. It was the same thing last year, so for me, it is critical that he improves that part of his game this year. His great skating allows him to make up for some of the misreads and poorplays he makes with the puck, but he won't be able to rely on that at the NHL level. He needs to make better decisions.

Scrivens had a great positional game and for the most part just needed to let the puck hit him. I thought it did take him some time to get up and back into position when he did go down, so he'll need to work on that. He looks like a solid backup type goaltender.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:45 AM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Thanks for claryifing i didnt really understand the NHL/AHL age cutoff thing before I read. I think it's best if Blackner goes back to juniour for another year, because really theres no way he's cracking our blueline with guys like: Kaberle, Beauch, Phaneuf, Schenn and Gunnar already having spots on this team.
I think it's best for BlackNer to go back to the OHL since he shouldn't be categorized in the same company as Kaberle, Beauchemin, Phaneuf, Schenn, and Gunnarsson to begin with. Hell, this BlackNer kid shouldn't be in the rookie tournament anyway.

Maybe Eminem pulled some strings to get this mysterious BlackNer kid in camp. Who knows? Life, like your hockey knowledge and an irritating propensity to state the obvious, is a mystery.

Last edited by hockeysense*: 09-14-2010 at 07:06 AM.
hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote