HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez interview "Gomez wants pressure to be high"

Old
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
it all sounds nice and good...

but talk is cheap.

for all the nice things about Gomez and his personality, it won't mean much on the ice if he puts up another mediocre season production-wise.

a 7M$ playmaking centre that can't top 70pts is a disappointment, no matter how nice a guy or how "competitive" he is.

I hope Gomez feels confident about having a "career" year, and that he's set his personal sights on the 80pt plateau... that's the kind of production we need out of our highest paid player if we want to see this team play to it's highest potential.

as much as I'm skeptical of Gomez having that kind of season in him (if the motivation of securing an Olympic spot and being uncerimoniously traded away only 2 years into his massive contract for a bunch of young players/prospects wasn't enough to light a fire under him, i don't know what would be), but he certainly has a great opportunity.

Gionta is good for 20-30 goals, and if Pouliot's offseason work translates to him taking a step forward, he should be capable of a similar output. with the Pleks/Cammalleri duo likely to draw opposing teams #1 shut down units, and Subban adding a 2nd strong offensive talent on the back end, Gomez has all that he needs to step up and produce somewhere close to his 84pt career best...
at least that's what I hope for.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

but talk is cheap.

for all the nice things about Gomez and his personality, it won't mean much on the ice if he puts up another mediocre season production-wise.

a 7M$ playmaking centre that can't top 70pts is a disappointment, no matter how nice a guy or how "competitive" he is.
I'm not so sure that personal stats matter that much but making the playoffs and winning a round or two will be a key metric in how we measure his success.

Our entire core is almost all veterans and if we can't make the playoffs, unless we have a very good excuse, is there any other option but to start looking at going for a youth movement.

The other teams that are below us in the standings have a lot of young players who are only going to improve as time goes by.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
zzoo

Gomez: "... Centre Bell has 21,000 coaches. "
I'd say that Montreal also has 2,000,000 GMs.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:03 PM
neofury*

Quote:

but talk is cheap.

I hope Gomez feels confident about having a "career" year, and that he's set his personal sights on the 80pt plateau... that's the kind of production we need out of our highest paid player if we want to see this team play to it's highest potential.

as much as I'm skeptical of Gomez having that kind of season in him (if the motivation of securing an Olympic spot and being uncerimoniously traded away only 2 years into his massive contract for a bunch of young players/prospects wasn't enough to light a fire under him, i don't know what would be), but he certainly has a great opportunity.

Gionta is good for 20-30 goals, and if Pouliot's offseason work translates to him taking a step forward, he should be capable of a similar output. with the Pleks/Cammalleri duo likely to draw opposing teams #1 shut down units, and Subban adding a 2nd strong offensive talent on the back end, Gomez has all that he needs to step up and produce somewhere close to his 84pt career best...
at least that's what I hope for.
Yeah but if people want to rag on anyone make it Sather for overpaying not Gomez for doing a no brainer deal. Cause I'm sure if anyone here was worth 5 million dollars for doing a job and was offered 7 they would take it.

Once the deal is already in place and habs being in the position we're in, you can't really blame Gainey for making the deal he made. I'm also pretty positive scouting reports on Pyatt were good so it all makes sense. Yeah he overpaid in terms of dollars but in terms of the trade it's looking more and more like a steal as time goes on. So imo we can't fault habs management or Gomez for this deal. It made sense for the club, it's paid off dividends and all we had to do was get screwed out of 2 million cap hit per season which many teams can't even spend to. Taking that into consideration it's really not a big deal. Of the 10 or so teams that spend the limit, how many of them don't overpay a player or two. If you don't think Pyatt alone is worth paying Gomez contract a bit extra and also getting Gomez a 1st line center out of the deal, I don't expect any logical reasoning to convince you then.

If you do then obviously you're thinking logically about the situation.

Let's be honest here, we don't have Drury, Redden or Campbell, Gomez is leaps and bounds better value then any of those deals and the blackhawks won the cup overpaying a guy by like 2 million so don't tell me it isn't possible for us to do the same for a guy 100x more worth it to pay an extra 2 million to, especially in the case of our team.

I wouldn't want to see:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Kostitsyn

Sorry but you're asking to ruin the development of 3 players by doing that and my mix matching you're guaranteeing to have a 2nd and 3rd line as your 1st and 2nd.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-13-2010 at 12:10 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
Don't bother with the masses over here.
You mention Scott Gomez and all that registers with 95% of Habs fans is
the number 7 million.

Too bad really, because I think he's a very good player. It's such a pleasure to see someone who can actually skate & take the puck and carry it end to end and create plays in the offensive zone.
What bothers me is how everyone lowballs/underestimates him...

ITS 7.357 MILLION HE MAKES NOT 7 MILLION so he's overpaid by about 2.357 mil not 2 mil therefore being MORE overpaid than you originally THOUGHT

hfboards

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah but if people want to rag on anyone make it Sather for overpaying not Gomez for doing a no brainer deal. Cause I'm sure if anyone here was worth 5 million dollars for doing a job and was offered 7 they would take it.

Once the deal is already in place and habs being in the position we're in, you can't really blame Gainey for making the deal he made. I'm also pretty positive scouting reports on Pyatt were good so it all makes sense. Yeah he overpaid in terms of dollars but in terms of the trade it's looking more and more like a steal as time goes on. So imo we can't fault habs management or Gomez for this deal. It made sense for the club, it's paid off dividends and all we had to do was get screwed out of 2 million cap hit per season which many teams can't even spend to. Taking that into consideration it's really not a big deal. Of the 10 or so teams that spend the limit, how many of them don't overpay a player or two. If you don't think Pyatt alone is worth paying Gomez contract a bit extra and also getting Gomez a 1st line center out of the deal, I don't expect any logical reasoning to convince you then.

Let's be honest here, we don't have Drury, Redden or Campbell, Gomez is leaps and bounds better value then any of those deals and the blackhawks won the cup overpaying a guy by like 2 million so don't tell me it isn't possible for us to do the same for a guy 100x more worth it to pay an extra 2 million to, especially in the case of our team.

I wouldn't want to see:

Pouliot-Eller-Kostitsyn

Sorry but you're asking to ruin the development of 3 players by doing that and my mix matching you're guaranteeing to have a 2nd and 3rd line as your 1st and 2nd.
Tell me you're joking. It was a mistake for Sather to sign him for nothing at that price, but it was ok for Gainey to trade assets for him at that very same Price? I love Habs fans homeristic views.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I'm not so sure that personal stats matter that much but making the playoffs and winning a round or two will be a key metric in how we measure his success.

Our entire core is almost all veterans and if we can't make the playoffs, unless we have a very good excuse, is there any other option but to start looking at going for a youth movement.

The other teams that are below us in the standings have a lot of young players who are only going to improve as time goes by.
You're absolutely right. Results are what matter first and foremost. If the team improves on it's regular season play, and can put together another deep playoff run, no one will/should care about how many points Gomez puts up...

Now looking at the team, I'd argue that unless Gomez is able to step up, and produce at close to a ppg clip, our team will once again be a bottom tier team offensively.
Last year, with Halak standing on his head for half the season, we barely squeezed into the playoffs, and as soon as Halak came back down to earth, our lack of scoring punch was painfully evident as the Flyers made short work of us.

With the uncertainty around Price, we need our offensive catalyst to have strong seasons to take some of the pressure off of him.
Factor in that we are a cap spending team (making it unlikely to be able to add much scoring help in season if Gomez is sputtering), that we have a rookie pencilled in as our 3rd line centre, and that we have very limited/questionable scoring depth in the bottom six, and it becomes increasingly clear that for this team to live up to/exceed expectations, we need Gomez to be a key producer.

so if we suceed without Gomez stepping up, Great...

my feeling is that we will need him to be an impact player (and in his case, that means putting up significantly more than 50-60pts) for the team to be successful.

Quote:

I wouldn't want to see:

Pouliot-Eller-Kostitsyn

?
not exactly sure what point you are making here...

who's to blame for the contract Gomez is on was never really a discussion point in this thread, to my knowledge. Sather gave him a horrible deal, no one is arguing against that.

wether or not Gainey should have made the deal to get him... that debate has been beaten to death. At this point I don't know that people on either side of the argument are likely to be swayed. though I think it's a bit pompous and arrogant to throw around the "logic" argument in this case. i don't feel like rehashing all the reason I believe that the trade was a poor one, but I'm mature enough to admit/accept that my subjective judgement is far from being the only logical conclusion...

but that last part? I apologize, but I fail to see any logic in the point you are trying to make at all.

Who "asked" for the top 6 to exlude Gomez? where did you even come up with that?

My post was simply about the hope that Gomez can live up to his talk and play/produce at a higher level... that he give us a career best type season, and frankly I think that's what he's expecting out of himself.

at this point, it's pretty clear that we are moving forward with this core group of players/salaries. Next offseason will give us some cap/contract flexibility to make a big change, if that is needed, but for the time being, we are going to go as far as Gomez/Hamrlik/Cammy/Gionta/Pleks/Markov can take us.

Old
09-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You're absolutely right. Results are what matter first and foremost. If the team improves on it's regular season play, and can put together another deep playoff run, no one will/should care about how many points Gomez puts up...

Now looking at the team, I'd argue that unless Gomez is able to step up, and produce at close to a ppg clip, our team will once again be a bottom tier team offensively.
Last year, with Halak standing on his head for half the season, we barely squeezed into the playoffs, and as soon as Halak came back down to earth, our lack of scoring punch was painfully evident as the Flyers made short work of us.

With the uncertainty around Price, we need our offensive catalyst to have strong seasons to take some of the pressure off of him.
Factor in that we are a cap spending team (making it unlikely to be able to add much scoring help in season if Gomez is sputtering), that we have a rookie pencilled in as our 3rd line centre, and that we have very limited/questionable scoring depth in the bottom six, and it becomes increasingly clear that for this team to live up to/exceed expectations, we need Gomez to be a key producer.

so if we suceed without Gomez stepping up, Great...

my feeling is that we will need him to be an impact player (and in his case, that means putting up significantly more than 50-60pts) for the team to be successful.

?
not exactly sure what point you are making here...

who's to blame for the contract Gomez is on was never really a discussion point in this thread, to my knowledge. Sather gave him a horrible deal, no one is arguing against that.

wether or not Gainey should have made the deal to get him... that debate has been beaten to death. At this point I don't know that people on either side of the argument are likely to be swayed. though I think it's a bit pompous and arrogant to throw around the "logic" argument in this case. i don't feel like rehashing all the reason I believe that the trade was a poor one, but I'm mature enough to admit/accept that my subjective judgement is far from being the only logical conclusion...

but that last part? I apologize, but I fail to see any logic in the point you are trying to make at all.

Who "asked" for the top 6 to exlude Gomez? where did you even come up with that?

My post was simply about the hope that Gomez can live up to his talk and play/produce at a higher level... that he give us a career best type season, and frankly I think that's what he's expecting out of himself.

at this point, it's pretty clear that we are moving forward with this core group of players/salaries. Next offseason will give us some cap/contract flexibility to make a big change, if that is needed, but for the time being, we are going to go as far as Gomez/Hamrlik/Cammy/Gionta/Pleks/Markov can take us.
Gomez had 8 goals and 34 assists for 42 points in the last 45 games of the season when Markov was in the lineup. He was also +3 in that sequence.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20092010

It stands to reason that having Markov for a full season (hopefully) would give us a ppg Gomez (close to it), and that having Subban to help out the other line of Cammy-Plex-AK will also boost up the offense.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Gomez had 8 goals and 34 assists for 42 points in the last 45 games of the season when Markov was in the lineup. He was also +3 in that sequence.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20092010

It stands to reason that having Markov for a full season (hopefully) would give us a ppg Gomez (close to it), and that having Subban to help out the other line of Cammy-Plex-AK will also boost up the offense.
Eh, I doubt Gomez gets much more than 60 points... odds are not good that he gets close to 82 points.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Eh, I doubt Gomez gets much more than 60 points... odds are not good that he gets close to 82 points.
I would bet money that he doesn't.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Quote:
Knowing that people like you get your panties in a bunch over a deliberate politically incorrect joke is actually even more pitiful.

Seriously get off your high horse. It's people like you who give meaning to jokes like this that perpetuate the prejudice jokes like this are intended to make light of.
Your condescension is noted , assimilated and understood. Thank you.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Tell me you're joking. It was a mistake for Sather to sign him for nothing at that price, but it was ok for Gainey to trade assets for him at that very same Price? I love Habs fans homeristic views.
well, if you follow the logic he outlined, it WAS a mistake on Sather's part to sign Gomez to that deal (since he's clearly not capable of being that kind of player), but it WAS NOT a mistake on Gainey's part to trade for him because of "the position we were in"...

one might quickly point out that "the position we were in" was the result of moves/decisions that Gainey had made, therefore making him accountable...

one might also point out the somewhat questionable conclusion that:
"since we were in this (presumably) bad position, the only way out of it was to go out and trade for someone else's colossal mistake"...

but since the poster in question is the only one capable of sound logical conclusions, those types of comments must therefore be illogical.

make sense doesn't it

Old
09-14-2010, 12:06 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
well, if you follow the logic he outlined, it WAS a mistake on Sather's part to sign Gomez to that deal (since he's clearly not capable of being that kind of player), but it WAS NOT a mistake on Gainey's part to trade for him because of "the position we were in"...

one might quickly point out that "the position we were in" was the result of moves/decisions that Gainey had made, therefore making him accountable...

"since we were in this (presumably) bad position, the only way out of it was to go out and trade for someone else's colossal mistake"...

but since the poster in question is the only one capable of sound logical conclusions, those types of comments must therefore be illogical.

make sense doesn't it
Too bad we couldn't of sent Fischer instead of McDonagh.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Because you're in 'what have you done for me lately' mode.

A Jersey fan came around here about a year ago, and said he was excited to see what Gomez/Gionta would be able to do with Markov. He said (rightfuly) that this duo needed a premiere D to make them succeed at an elite level, which is just full of common sense. He said that once Gomez lost Niedermayer and then later lost Rafalski, he became less effective. His theory was somewhat proven by Gomez's stats when Markov was in the lineup.

Also, you do realize Gomez had 4 seasons of +70 points, and two of those were 80+ points?

But yeah, he's a Habs, so odds he won't get much more than 60 points, right? I mean, he had 60 points the last two seasons where he played with almost zero offensive support from the blueline except the 45 games where Markov was there and he got 42 points...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Too bad we couldn't of sent Fischer instead of McDonagh.
It would of been a HUGE steal if Fisher did go instead of McD... but eh, Ryan is like Max Pacioretty for us, which is kinda sad, I was hoping for Paches to establish himself already

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I hope the addition of Halpern helps Gomez and Plekanec in terms of offensive production. There should be a lot less defensive/PK responsibilities on those two with Halpern/Lapierre/Boyd/Moen/Pyatt around. We have a lot more depth and balance up front than last year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Trade assets? You mean the same assets that to this point aren't playing in the NHL versus a first line center and another guy who is? I love the habs fans pessimistic views.

You must be joking honestly to come up with such a stupid statement.

Old
09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
LOL sorry but if you didn't realize I was trying to show an example of what our top 6 would look like without the trade then you must be borderline mentally disabled. I mean should I put a sign with flashing lights around it saying "EXAMPLE OF ROSTER WITHOUT GOMEZ TRADE BEING DONE", would that make it more clear for you?

And what was my point you all ask? My point is that 90% of the people who hate on the Gomez trade are idiots who don't even bring one shred of credibility to their argument and just hate on the deal because mob mentality and the television screen told them to.

Do I need to hold your hand to figure that out as well?

Old
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
neofury*

Quote:

make sense doesn't it
I forgot how you are co-GM and you knew that Gainey turned down several offers to bring in UFA's who could do the job for cheap.

You talk as if you know it's all Gainey's fault. Maybe just maybe, he tried to land UFA's to fill that role but couldn't, something that wasn't his fault because those UFA's simply didn't want to play here. Gainey can't put a gun to somebodies head but he also isn't stupid, if he could've signed a UFA to take Gomez spot who was better than Gomez, or if he could have done a better trade, I'm pretty sure he would have. You know the entire point of a GM is to, you know improve your team using the best available options.

And god are you honestly that ****ing daft? It was Sather's mistake because Gomez wasn't a good fit in NY not because he was a bad player. I mean really you must be stupid if you can't see the logic in getting a player who fits a need on your team but who isn't working out on another team. If every player played to their full potential on every team it would be even more impossible to get trades done. Sometimes good players aren't a good fit on certain teams. Just because Sather overpaid him and we then traded for a valuable (albeit overpaid) asset we needed doesn't mean Gainey too is now making a mistake because Sather made a mistake in signing a guy who wasn't a fit for him.

If you want to speak about fail logic well what you're saying is just that. So I guess every player who ever failed for one team and was traded to another they succeeded on was a fail move by the receiving GM. That's basically your logic.

By your fail logic you're basically saying options were available and Gainey failed to procure them, as if you can do better than Gainey LOL.

Old
09-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
LOL sorry but if you didn't realize I was trying to show an example of what our top 6 would look like without the trade then you must be borderline mentally disabled. I mean should I put a sign with flashing lights around it saying "EXAMPLE OF ROSTER WITHOUT GOMEZ TRADE BEING DONE", would that make it more clear for you?

And what was my point you all ask? My point is that 90% of the people who hate on the Gomez trade are idiots who don't even bring one shred of credibility to their argument and just hate on the deal because mob mentality and the television screen told them to.

Do I need to hold your hand to figure that out as well?
Without Gomez and Gionta we would of had over $12 million in cap space and we could of gotten some other just as decent players instead. At their cap hit Gomez and Gionta aren't anything special.

Old
09-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Without Gomez and Gionta we would of had over $12 million in cap space and we could of gotten some other just as decent players instead. At their cap hit Gomez and Gionta aren't anything special.
Such as? Which other offensive center was available last summer? And this summer?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Such as? Which other offensive center was available last summer? And this summer?
exactly lol so many people on this board its just that easy to go ''get players'' like you can do on nhl 10-11. The GM is job is surely an easy one!

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
We could of kept Koivu or given SK a chance as the #2 centre. Same thing with wingers we could of signed either Kovalev, Havlat or Gaborik.

Old
09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Santino

Quote:
We could of kept Koivu or given SK a chance as the #2 centre. Same thing with wingers we could of signed either Kovalev, Havlat or Gaborik.
''havlat/gaborik wanna come play for montreal, i want you and so do our fans''
''sure thing Bob, im on way.''

it just that easy!

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
You think SK could of played #2 center? He had enough mental issues playing on wing, we definitely would of had a nice high draft pick missing the playoffs though.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote