Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Gillies

Old
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
TooLow494

vCash: 500
Colton Gillies

hey guys, i'm just curious about one of your prospects: Colton Gillies.
If anyone wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions just to satisfy my curiosity or point me to a recent disccusion about him i'd really appreciate it:

Specifically, where does he fall on your team's depth chart after the acquisitions of Cullen, Wellman and Madden and after drafting mikael granlund.

Is he a skilled prospect you expect to crack the lineup soon or do u expect a trade?

thank you in advance
Domenator19

TooLow494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I expect him to enjoy the sights and sounds of Houston, TX.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think he's a career fourth liner at best. I don't think much of him. Skates like the wind but nothing in the offensive zone.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
nickschultzfan

If there ever was a guy who needed another year in junior to develop his offensive game, it was Gillies. He was improving each season and boom DR threw him into the NHL.

I have zero interest in bringing Gillies up to the NHL anytime soon. He's still a toothpick. Maybe bring him up in 2-3 years when he's built like Ryan Malone, skates like Gaborik, and hits like Clutterbuck.

His potential is same as always, solid 3rd liner with 2nd line upside.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:52 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Large kid, good wheels, and i see "mean streak" mentioned enough to make it sound like an asset. If you have two skilled forwards and you need a bully on that line who can keep up and isn't completely hopeless with the puck, Gillies will likely be able to fit that role. Hard to blame him completely for where he is at right now. Poor kid.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Putting him on the second line would kill any offense that was generated. He's a great kid and all, but he just has stone hands worse than Brodziak.

Old
09-13-2010, 09:14 AM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

If he can figure out the offensive game and add a little more bulk to his frame, he'll be a great 3rd liner. He's never going to carry a line offensively, but he has the potential to be a great forechecker and physical presence.

I'm pulling for him, seems like a good kid.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:59 AM
wildark45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTenderness View Post
If he can figure out the offensive game and add a little more bulk to his frame, he'll be a great 3rd liner. He's never going to carry a line offensively, but he has the potential to be a great forechecker and physical presence.

I'm pulling for him, seems like a good kid.

Heh, I liked this video. I liked them on facebook.

wildark45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gillies has averaged a whopping NINE goals per season over the last six seasons, INCLUDING his junior years. He's averaged TWELVE assists per season over that time. He's not going to magically figure out an offensive game. He never had offensive ability to speak of, so it's not a matter of adjusting to the pro game. He's reached his potential. Either he's a fourth line banger or he's an AHL'er. Either way, it was an absolutely horrible pick by DR.

Old
09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Gillies has averaged a whopping NINE goals per season over the last six seasons, INCLUDING his junior years. He's averaged TWELVE assists per season over that time. He's not going to magically figure out an offensive game. He never had offensive ability to speak of, so it's not a matter of adjusting to the pro game. He's reached his potential. Either he's a fourth line banger or he's an AHL'er. Either way, it was an absolutely horrible pick by DR.
But....but.......DR watched the Anaheim playoff series and saw that the Wild had to get bigger!!!!!!! He told us so. He HAD to draft Gillies!!!

Somebody should have maybe told DR that draft picks take 5 years to develop. At a minimum.

God he was a terrible GM. I mean, Todd Fedoruk!! Chris Simon! No wonder Gaborik got the hell out of town. Even if Fletcher turns out to be nothing special, he's still a massive improvement.

Old
09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
nickschultzfan

I also think the thing with Gillies is that he was a completely safe pick if the only thing you care about is getting an NHL player. He will be an NHL player.

It might be only in the bottom lines, but he's too fast and too big to not make it. And even though his offensive skills aren't great, they are still better than many bottom-6ers liners in this league.

But the important thing to realize is that guys like Gillies should be UFA signed, not drafted. Look at Nystrom. Good signing for the Wild. Horrible drafting for the Flames.

Old
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't know that I'd call his offensive skills better than the average fourth liner, unless we include the Derek Boogaards of the league.

Until I'm proven wrong, I just don't see him as anything more than a career depth guy. Kills penalties, skates around and hits, and nothing else. Like a Cal Clutterbuck without the offense.

Old
09-14-2010, 12:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I still remember fans on the Wild board thinking he could crack 20+ goals a season.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You need a little context in that post.

Year 1: played a whopping 12 games between the WHL/BCHL
Year 2: 16 year-old in the WHL gets 16 year-old numbers
Year 3: second WHL year nets an 250% increase in points
Year 4: .41 GPG, .81 PPG as an 18 year-old in the W
Year 5: thrown into the NHL, 8 points in 11 AHL games, only 56 games total
Year 6: 72 games in the AHL nets a disappointing 20 points

If you extrapolate his career numbers over an 82 game season, he records 13.8 goals and 18.1 assists a season. And that's still with most of his career in questionable opportunities to put up great numbers. This next season is the real test. For someone that was a long-term project from the start, he's showed nothing to indicate that he's reached his potential. Who knows, he could be the next Alex Burrows. I'm OK that we have Gillies and not the five guys picked after him. Could be worse. The trade up and drafting Gillies wasn't smart, but Gillies isn't as bad as most make him out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I still remember fans on the Wild board thinking he could crack 20+ goals a season.
Yep, and that's still a possibility. I don't think anyone saw Alex Burrows as a future 35-goal scorer when he was 26 years old and looking completely overmatched offensively in the NHL. Gillies is a kid by comparison.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post

Yep, and that's still a possibility. I don't think anyone saw Alex Burrows as a future 35-goal scorer when he was 26 years old and looking completely overmatched offensively in the NHL. Gillies is a kid by comparison.
The same Alex Burrows that scored 35 in junior?

Old
09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
The same Alex Burrows that scored 35 in junior?
In the then-wide-open Q at the age of 20? Yep.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
WHL isn't that bad for scoring goals. Gillies has shown zero offensive capability in the AHL...Burrows got 9 goals in his rookie season and then 12 (in 33 games mind you). Colton got 7...we'll see what he does next year.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Well Burrows was small and scrawny early in his career. He got more physically mature, and really progressed at a fast rate at each level (ECHL, AHL). Burrows was at one point the best roller hockey player in the world.

Gillies doesn't have the offensive talent to blossom, and has questionable hockey sense and instincts. 4th line type is most likely.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
nickschultzfan

You know what the greatest thing about Gillies' offensive game?

That he's no longer the Wild's top forward prospect.

Granlund, Wellman, Larsson, Palmer, Almond, Haula, etc. make Gillies' 1st round draft choice easier to swallow. By the time Gillies is ready to join the NHL, he won't be needed to be a offensive guy.

Hopefully, he'll be able to slot in similiar to Andrew Ladd - a big body 2nd/3rd liner who makes room for his linemates, plays defensively, and can set-up his linemates from time to time. Ladd was never a good goal scorer, but he does a lot of other things that make him valuable on a team.

Old
09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Even if we go by junior numbers, at least Ladd was a PPG pace for a year. I'd say his ceiling is a checking line forward, he could probably be an energy line guy right now but Nystrom and Clutterbuck are better than he is. Maybe next year if Clutter moves up to the third line and opens up a spot...

Old
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I'm on a wait-and-see with him. don't think he'll ever be considered terribly proficient on offense but he could turn out to be a decent complimentary player if we continue to field forwards who aren't very aggressive and/or fast.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:38 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
You know what the greatest thing about Gillies' offensive game?

That he's no longer the Wild's top forward prospect.

Granlund, Wellman, Larsson, Palmer, Almond, Haula, etc. make Gillies' 1st round draft choice easier to swallow. By the time Gillies is ready to join the NHL, he won't be needed to be a offensive guy.

Hopefully, he'll be able to slot in similiar to Andrew Ladd - a big body 2nd/3rd liner who makes room for his linemates, plays defensively, and can set-up his linemates from time to time. Ladd was never a good goal scorer, but he does a lot of other things that make him valuable on a team.
This is very true although how badly the previous management ****ed up still hurts.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:10 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
WHL isn't that bad for scoring goals. Gillies has shown zero offensive capability in the AHL...Burrows got 9 goals in his rookie season and then 12 (in 33 games mind you). Colton got 7...we'll see what he does next year.
You don't get it. A decade ago, the Q was an offensive machine. It isn't anymore. Now the OHL is the highest scoring league. Simply put, Gillies 24 goals in 58 games in the WHL in 2007-08 at age 18-19 is better than Burrows' 35 goals in 64 games in the QMJHL in 2001-02 at age 20. The year that Burrows got 70 points, two 18 year-old teammates, including Jason Pominville, scored over 120 points. Gillies led his pathetic team in goals his year. Burrows then went to the ECHL and scored 13 goals at age 21. At age 22 he was still in the ECHL but scored 29 goals at over a PPG. Then he didn't score more than 14 goals again in the pros until age 27. It took him a long time to become was he is today. 20+ NHL goals for Gillies doesn't seem likely right now, but he's that type of player that may do it when he's mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
Well Burrows was small and scrawny early in his career. He got more physically mature, and really progressed at a fast rate at each level (ECHL, AHL). Burrows was at one point the best roller hockey player in the world.

Gillies doesn't have the offensive talent to blossom, and has questionable hockey sense and instincts. 4th line type is most likely.
Man, it sounds like you're describing Gillies there on stature. But you're wrong about Burrows quickly progressing. It took his 4th ECHL/AHL season before he became a near PPG player in the AHL. Then it took his 3rd full NHL season to become more than a bottom-6 offensive threat. That's slow, and Vancouver showed a lot of patience with him. Burrows' 2006-07 NHL season, at age 25, was one of the worst NHL seasons I've seen from a player recently. He looked completely discombobulated out there with little chance to hold the NHL, let alone become a 35 goal scorer three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Aside from Granlund, the rest have a fairly low chance of being a top-6 offensive player. So although I like Gillies chances as a 3rd-liner, we really could use an offensive threat instead. We just aren't working hard enough to acquire more options like that.

Old
09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Aside from Granlund, the rest have a fairly low chance of being a top-6 offensive player. So although I like Gillies chances as a 3rd-liner, we really could use an offensive threat instead. We just aren't working hard enough to acquire more options like that.
I wasn't saying the farm is stocked with talent.

I was just saying that for a while, it was Pouliot (Mr. Bust), Sheppard (Mr. Rushed), and Gillies.

Granlund and Wellman alone are better than DR's entire post-Burns draft record.

Old
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
BamBam

Well Said

Quote:
You need a little context in that post.

Year 1: played a whopping 12 games between the WHL/BCHL
Year 2: 16 year-old in the WHL gets 16 year-old numbers
Year 3: second WHL year nets an 250% increase in points
Year 4: .41 GPG, .81 PPG as an 18 year-old in the W
Year 5: thrown into the NHL, 8 points in 11 AHL games, only 56 games total
Year 6: 72 games in the AHL nets a disappointing 20 points

If you extrapolate his career numbers over an 82 game season, he records 13.8 goals and 18.1 assists a season. And that's still with most of his career in questionable opportunities to put up great numbers. This next season is the real test. For someone that was a long-term project from the start, he's showed nothing to indicate that he's reached his potential. Who knows, he could be the next Alex Burrows. I'm OK that we have Gillies and not the five guys picked after him. Could be worse. The trade up and drafting Gillies wasn't smart, but Gillies isn't as bad as most make him out to be.

and.
you have to remember.
gillies AHL Aeros coach last season.
constantine.
kevin.
his idea of the perfect hockey game.
0-0.
with no shots on net.

BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote