HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kabanov already getting in trouble

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
  #26
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,966
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Lets be real, who hasn't been late to work? Flat tire, traffic, power outage took out your alarm clock and a million other excuses. Had this not been Kirill it wouldn't be that big a deal.


It's not good and he should be extra careful given his reputation. But he's young and **** happens. So the question really is. Is this an honest human mistake or a sign of bad things to come? Only time will tell. I'm cheering for him. At 18/19 I was still a snot nose. Tough to be in his spot, but a great chance he shouldn't take for granted.
Eh, I disagree entirely with this.

It's one thing if Tavares overslept, or Bailey was late one time for practice. Those guys don't have a history that puts their character and maturity in serious question.

When you've got a bad reputation (which Kabanov has), you should be extra careful to prove that reputation wrong. It seems to me that, so far anyway, Kabanov isn't really making a conscientious effort to prove the naysayers wrong. In fact, he's just adding more items to the list.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
  #27
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
This controversy was definitely everything else than his fault. His team tried to change his contract subsequently and also the IIHF confirmed that this was illegal.


He still scored 9 points in 11 games with 7-8 minutes average TOI. I don't know where you got from that he wasn't fit, but to me it doesn't look like he wasn't.


Actually he didn't get the minutes that they promised to give him.


No.
He fought against his club and the Russian federation to be able to live his dream of playing for a team in NA. Then that team which actually promised him top line minutes, demoted him to the third line though he was playing good. Not saying that it's ok to bolt due to that, but isn't it somehow understandable, that you get disappointet, especially when you already invested that much to even get to play there.


I don't wanna say that he is a complete angel, as he definitely has some issues.
All I wanna say that not everything is just black and white.

I don't know if it was his first issue with your organisation (at least I didn't hear from any others), but if so, i wouldn't make a too big issue out of it. If he was any other prospect, you would do this as well.
The coach was quoted to say there was another player out playing him and that was his reasoning for putting KK on the third line.

There are NO promises for ice time in hockey. That's such a childish notion. His icetime got cut because he wasn't fit to play on the top 2 lines, which pissed him off. This was reported by NHL.com

"(Kabanov) is used to being a go-to guy," Moncton coach Danny Flynn told the Times and Transcript. "The fact that other guys were playing ahead of him was an adjustment that he had to learn to make. He was restless playing on the third line."

Too f***ing bad if he didn't like the third line. He's a first year player who was reported by his own coach to be behind his other guys. Then he gets a bad penalty, jumps the boards when he was benched, and disrupts his team in Russia (also reported by their coach) which was his only chance to save his horrendous reputation for that year.

That being said, this is about his recent problem and people can say it's an overreaction all they want (and I realize nobody wants their top prospects to be flops) but his problems just keep stockpiling. Somebody said it best by comparing him to Ray Emery.


Last edited by GM17*: 09-13-2010 at 01:01 PM.
GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
  #28
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The Isles have his rights for a couple of years. If he ends up being a good player, great... if he ends up being a weirdo and not worth dealing with, cut bait. It's just a 3rd round pick. 7 out of 8 3rd rounders never amount to squat anyway.
Because he has a 1st rounders skill level, it makes this pick all the better! If the best case scenario plays out we get a first rounder who turned his game around and is ready to play in the third round.

Worse case, we a 3rd rounder with a lot of potential that never pans out. We cut our loses and accept the risk we took. Not much risk with tons of upside. Mad props to Garth. I would have done the same.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:11 PM
  #29
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluske View Post

Too f***ing bad if he didn't like the third line. He's a first year player who was reported by his own coach to be behind his other guys. Then he gets a bad penalty, jumps the boards when he was benched, and disrupts his team in Russia (also reported by their coach) which was his only chance to save his horrendous reputation for that year.

That being said, this is about his recent problem and people can say it's an overreaction all they want (and I realize nobody wants their top prospects to be flops) but his problems just keep stockpiling. Somebody said it best by comparing him to Ray Emery.
I know there was footage of that floating around somewhere I searched and couldn't find it. Link?

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
  #30
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Because he has a 1st rounders skill level, it makes this pick all the better! If the best case scenario plays out we get a first rounder who turned his game around and is ready to play in the third round.

Worse case, we a 3rd rounder with a lot of potential that never pans out. We cut our loses and accept the risk we took. Not much risk with tons of upside. Mad props to Garth. I would have done the same.
This is very true. Good sweetener on a trade too if he goes full ****** like he did in Moncton. Low of risk for high reward with a 3rd round pick really.

I don't have the footage, I wish. Coach would've been losing his mind.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:26 PM
  #31
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Team handled it perfectly.

Standards.

***

No (over)-analysis required, IMO. This is a mid-round teenager, yet to prove a damn thing. He is incidental at this point. The world of NYI does not revolve around him, whatsoever, and his (in)actions do not deserve any further energy or attention.


Last edited by Trottier: 09-13-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:36 PM
  #32
ERC91
Registered User
 
ERC91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Germany
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluske View Post
The coach was quoted to say there was another player out playing him and that was his reasoning for putting KK on the third line.
I dunno where you got this from, but it would be nice to have the quote, as I didn't find it anywhere.

Quote:
There are NO promises for ice time in hockey. That's such a childish notion.
Obviously there are. An example therefor is Mike Comrie, who signed for 500k as they promised him the spot on Crosby's wing

Quote:
His icetime got cut because he wasn't fit to play on the top 2 lines, which pissed him off. This was reported by NHL.com
Wrong again. All that nhl.com reported that there was a solidified line-up. And again: 9 points in 11 games with 7-8 mins average TOI doesn't really point towards him beeing not fit.


Quote:
Too f***ing bad if he didn't like the third line. He's a first year player who was reported by his own coach to be behind his other guys.
How do you think might other scorers like Ovechkin or Semin react if that happened to them? Do you think they would like it?

Quote:
Then he gets a bad penalty, jumps the boards when he was benched,
Bad penalties were, are and will be taken by many players, so why do you blow this up so much.
Faults during line-changes can also happen and it doesn't necessarily have to be the player whose fault it is.

Quote:
and disrupts his team in Russia (also reported by their coach) which was his only chance to save his horrendous reputation for that year.
He wasn't well liked in Russia before and there are some people that suspect the whole issue there was a revenge. It's not the first time Russian coaches do this. Russian handball national coach e.g. demoted his best players, because they didn't play for his national leage club. And I think I also heard from another CHL player, that was also cut for not playing in Russia.

Quote:
"(Kabanov) is used to being a go-to guy," Moncton coach Danny Flynn told the Times and Transcript. "The fact that other guys were playing ahead of him was an adjustment that he had to learn to make. He was restless playing on the third line."
I don't know what you wanna proof with that. It doesn't say that there were other guys were playing better than him. And the fact that he was restless while playing on the third line, is also not that extraordinary. Like I said before, many other players in the NHL would react the same.

Quote:
(and I realize nobody wants their top prospects to be flops)
It's not my prospect. My prospects are called Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Pääjärvi and Linus Omark

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:26 PM
  #33
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,910
vCash: 500
This thread sure has it's fair share of excuses. Thankfully the Islanders will hold him accountable instead of making the pity party excuses I'm reading from certain posters here.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:34 PM
  #34
ERC91
Registered User
 
ERC91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Germany
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
This thread sure has it's fair share of excuses. Thankfully the Islanders will hold him accountable instead of making the pity party excuses I'm reading from certain posters here.
I never said to not held him accountable for what he did.
Of course this is what needs to be done.

All I said that you should not just say "this kid is a future locker room cancer / selfish / distraction to the team / has a bad attitude etc." but look a bit deeper into the whole thing.

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
  #35
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Team handled it perfectly.

Standards.

***

No (over)-analysis required, IMO. This is a mid-round teenager, yet to prove a damn thing. He is incidental at this point. The world of NYI does not revolve around him, whatsoever, and his (in)actions do not deserve any further energy or attention.
but what if he's on time tomorrow? I need drama!

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
  #36
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,056
vCash: 500
Sumptin' else from that blog...

Hamonic and DeHaan.


I began to salivate at how good that combo can be...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
  #37
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grumpier OLD MAN inn
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,997
vCash: 270
On the oiler board some guy just posted the fact the oilers were silly to pass on the guy.

There is a problem with Kabanov and there is a reason why he dropped from being a predicted mid first rounder to where you guys got him.

he has an attitude problem that is huge and he needs to get his stuff together--people keep saying Moncton is an option for him. When he left the team last season, the coach was on an Edmonton show called the pipeline show and the song and dance the coach put on to deflect questions was rather funny. The Russian national team does not want him, based upon comments from the Moncton coach--he would rather not have him back and now, with his first pro team--he is acting up--he needs a good ass kicking

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:12 PM
  #38
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
On the oiler board some guy just posted the fact the oilers were silly to pass on the guy.

There is a problem with Kabanov and there is a reason why he dropped from being a predicted mid first rounder to where you guys got him.

he has an attitude problem that is huge and he needs to get his stuff together--people keep saying Moncton is an option for him. When he left the team last season, the coach was on an Edmonton show called the pipeline show and the song and dance the coach put on to deflect questions was rather funny. The Russian national team does not want him, based upon comments from the Moncton coach--he would rather not have him back and now, with his first pro team--he is acting up--he needs a good ass kicking
I think Moncton's coach, Flynn, already said he has spoken to Kabanov and expects him back this year. In fact, they didn't even draft any Europeans, because they expect their two Europeans from last year back (obviously Kabanov is one of them). Kabanov also said he had been in contact with Flynn after the season ended. I'd be shocked if he doesn't play the whole season in Moncton this year.

I really feel this whole lateness thing will blow over (and is being made too big of a deal by Isles fans). I fully expect him to be at practice tomorrow, and for him to be skating in the Islanders/Bruins rookie games. In a month, nobody will remember this.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
  #39
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grumpier OLD MAN inn
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,997
vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I think Moncton's coach, Flynn, already said he has spoken to Kabanov and expects him back this year. In fact, they didn't even draft any Europeans, because they expect their two Europeans from last year back (obviously Kabanov is one of them). Kabanov also said he had been in contact with Flynn after the season ended. I'd be shocked if he doesn't play the whole season in Moncton this year.

I really feel this whole lateness thing will blow over (and is being made too big of a deal by Isles fans). I fully expect him to be at practice tomorrow, and for him to be skating in the Islanders/Bruins rookie games. In a month, nobody will remember this.
it is a pattern

as for the coach comments-he has changed his comments since I think feb or March when he was on the Pipeline show

The comment that he said that stuck on in my mind was

"I hope him the best in his future endevours"--he then got ask so he wont be back in Moncton--the coach did a song and dance

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
  #40
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Team handled it perfectly.

Standards.

***

No (over)-analysis required, IMO. This is a mid-round teenager, yet to prove a damn thing. He is incidental at this point. The world of NYI does not revolve around him, whatsoever, and his (in)actions do not deserve any further energy or attention.
This. Now close thread. Perfect.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
  #41
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,809
vCash: 500
Bottom line..

...Did any other player show up late?


What a joke this kid is. All the spotlights are on you and you can't do the easiest thing of all?

There are results and there are excuses. Those of you apologizing are making excuses for a kid that is a loser.

For those that say this isn't a big deal...Well it wouldn't be if his resume didn't read like a Hollywood intern with a heroin problem.

I really hope Snow trades this guy the second he gets a decent offer. I don't even trust him to be Petrov's interpretor.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:41 PM
  #42
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,239
vCash: 500
Kid needs a good ass-kicking.

Where's Trevor Gillies? Seriously.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
  #43
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
I dunno where you got this from, but it would be nice to have the quote, as I didn't find it anywhere.


Obviously there are. An example therefor is Mike Comrie, who signed for 500k as they promised him the spot on Crosby's wing


Wrong again. All that nhl.com reported that there was a solidified line-up. And again: 9 points in 11 games with 7-8 mins average TOI doesn't really point towards him beeing not fit.



How do you think might other scorers like Ovechkin or Semin react if that happened to them? Do you think they would like it?


Bad penalties were, are and will be taken by many players, so why do you blow this up so much.
Faults during line-changes can also happen and it doesn't necessarily have to be the player whose fault it is.


He wasn't well liked in Russia before and there are some people that suspect the whole issue there was a revenge. It's not the first time Russian coaches do this. Russian handball national coach e.g. demoted his best players, because they didn't play for his national leage club. And I think I also heard from another CHL player, that was also cut for not playing in Russia.


I don't know what you wanna proof with that. It doesn't say that there were other guys were playing better than him. And the fact that he was restless while playing on the third line, is also not that extraordinary. Like I said before, many other players in the NHL would react the same.


It's not my prospect. My prospects are called Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Pääjärvi and Linus Omark
1. I gave you the quote and the links.

2. If you think Comrie will keep that spot being a - rating and playing like absolute **** you're out of your mind. When a player plays poorly, he gets moved around. This is how hockey works.

3. The link SAYS he was injured and couldn't keep up with his teammates. Not fit = not playing well. Sports lingo. Learn it.

4. HE'S NOT FKING OVECHKIN. That's my point.

5. Faults during line up changes get people in trouble. This is ALSO a fact.

6. Stop wasting my time if you're not going to bother doing the research, which I already did for you.


Last edited by GM17*: 09-14-2010 at 08:42 AM.
GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:34 AM
  #44
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluske View Post
"(Kabanov) is used to being a go-to guy," Moncton coach Danny Flynn told the Times and Transcript. "The fact that other guys were playing ahead of him was an adjustment that he had to learn to make. He was restless playing on the third line.".
Why do I even bother...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525120 Quoted here, also mentions French scouting reports.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=522434 Also here.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531120 And here on your favourite team's web page.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:03 AM
  #45
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
it is a pattern

as for the coach comments-he has changed his comments since I think feb or March when he was on the Pipeline show

The comment that he said that stuck on in my mind was

"I hope him the best in his future endevours"--he then got ask so he wont be back in Moncton--the coach did a song and dance
The comments I'm talking about (both Kabanov's and Flynn's) came in June, after the draft.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:19 AM
  #46
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,341
vCash: 500
I'm not going to get all over him for showing up late once. But WTF is he thinking here? He has an outside chance to make it to the NHL this season. He's already slipped in the draft. He's already had issues. Wouldn't he make it a priority to show up to his very first day of training camp on time? If he shows up on time we're talking about a pretty goal he scored in scrimmage or something...not his attitude. What a yutz.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
  #47
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Lets be real, who hasn't been late to work? Flat tire, traffic, power outage took out your alarm clock and a million other excuses. Had this not been Kirill it wouldn't be that big a deal.



It's not good and he should be extra careful given his reputation. But he's young and **** happens. So the question really is. Is this an honest human mistake or a sign of bad things to come? Only time will tell. I'm cheering for him. At 18/19 I was still a snot nose. Tough to be in his spot, but a great chance he shouldn't take for granted.
Sure we've all been late before. But I doubt any of us has ever been late on our first day at a new job. .

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
  #48
ERC91
Registered User
 
ERC91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Germany
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluske View Post
1. I gave you the quote and the links
Of course my English isn't as perfect as it should be, but "other guys playing ahead of him" can also simply refer to his position on the depth chart.
"When he returned, Moncton was a top team with a solidified lineup". IMO that sounds more like a line chemistry thing.
So that link doesn't really prove much.

Quote:
2. If you think Comrie will keep that spot being a - rating and playing like absolute **** you're out of your mind. When a player plays poorly, he gets moved around. This is how hockey works.
No, I don't think that.
But like I already remarked several times (and you ignored it everytime), Kabanov wasn't playing poorly.
"When Kabanov played he was exceptional. He had 5 goals and 14 points in his first 11 games, prior to the wrist surgery, and had 10 goals and 23 points in his final 22 games."
Quote from the same article you linked.

Quote:
3. The link SAYS he was injured and couldn't keep up with his teammates. Not fit = not playing well. Sports lingo. Learn it.
Where did it say this? I didn't find it. All it says is that he was injured. The rest is constructed by you.
"He returned with a flourish and finished with 10 goals and 23 points in 22 games." Quote from your article. Not really an indication of him beeing not fit and playing bad after his return.
9 points in 11 games is nowhere near not playing well (especially when you figure in a very low TOI). Learn it.

Quote:
4. HE'S NOT FKING OVECHKIN. That's my point.
I didn't say that. All I said "scorers like Ovechkin OR Semin" That simply refers to their style of playing and not to their skill (nevertheless I read from scouts comparing him to them). Btw. Semin was 1.15 ppg, he was 1.04 ppg. So this comparison wouldn't even have bin that far off.

Quote:
5. Faults during line up changes get people in trouble. This is ALSO a fact.
Sure, but it's not a fact that it's always the player's fault. Coaches can give wrong instructions as well. "This is ALSO a fact"

Quote:
6. Stop wasting my time if you're not going to bother doing the research, which I already did for you.
I'm not really wasting your time.
The problem is just that you somehow can't argue properly (e.g. consistently ignoring stats, not responding to things I said, coming up with unobjective things like "learn it" or "this is how hockey works")

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM
  #49
TenYearsGone
Registered User
 
TenYearsGone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TenYearsGone
I love how in 3 months the common perception was

June (After Draft)- Wow! Kabanov! Ya know he's kind of a loose cannon, but hell I'll take my chances!

This Week- KABANOV WAS LATE?!?!! GET HIM OFF THE TEAM! NOW!!!!111

You get what you paid for. Although you know, you're taking a twitter comment and assuming the Isles are flipping a **** that he's late. Wait for the first goal he's scores and this is all forgotten.

TenYearsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:38 AM
  #50
JPIsles21
Registered User
 
JPIsles21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
...Did any other player show up late?


What a joke this kid is. All the spotlights are on you and you can't do the easiest thing of all?

There are results and there are excuses. Those of you apologizing are making excuses for a kid that is a loser.

For those that say this isn't a big deal...Well it wouldn't be if his resume didn't read like a Hollywood intern with a heroin problem.

I really hope Snow trades this guy the second he gets a decent offer. I don't even trust him to be Petrov's interpretor.
There's no question that Kabanov is a rehabilitation project. If he gets his character in order, and somebody screws his head on right, he can be real good. If he never gets on track, then he'll never play in the NHL and likely goes to play KHL, Swiss League, or wherever he'd like.

He was a 3rd round pick. Other 3rd round picks in Isles history include Jason Clark, Anders Nilsson, David Toews, Jyri Niemi, Kirill Petrov, Jason Gregoire, Robin Figren, Shea Guthrie, Sergei Ogorodnikov, Frans Nielsen, Mattias Weinhandl, Brian Collins, Jarret Smith, Mike Schnabel, etc. Of all those players only 1 is an NHL player (dating back to 1997). There's a few nice prospects like Nilsson, and Gregoire. But the other guys never made it, are out of the league, or are fringe prospects.

This love/hate for Kabanov is far overblown, especially considering he was a 3rd rounder.

It's funny you bring up Hollywood. Most guys you hear about in that business burn out once they start with drugs, crime, scandal, etc. However, once in a while you get a Robert Downey Jr., a guy that's been to rehab/jail/hell, who rehabilitate themselves to become amazing at what they do. Meanwhile there's a bunch of nice guy actors who have impeccable records and work ethic that do not get to shine outside of their High School play.

Same applies here. Does Kabanov have the highest potential of anyone drafted in the 3rd round? By a mile. Does he have bust potential? Sure, but so do the other 29 players taken in that round. And because they all have less talent than him, it can be strongly argued that he has less bust potential than any of them due to his superior talent.

I've seen many people mature over the years. Some far worse than this kid is perceived to be. This kid is not a criminal. He isn't a drug abuser. He does not seem malicious in any way. He is an immature 18 year old with immense talent. Now it's up to the Isles staff to harness his ego, and help him mature into a valuable top 6 forward at the NHL level. After all I'd much rather take a flier on the next Robert Downey Jr., rather than a dime a dozen character actor, or worse, an extra, which most 3rd rounders become anyhow.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.