HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PG media briefing: Team identity and leadership core

Old
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Sebaldian

vCash: 500
PG media briefing: Team identity and leadership core

http://habsinsideout.com/main/36686

Quote:
Gauthier described the team identity as predicated on speed and "intelligence", which the GM says is moving the puck efficiently and knowing what to do with it."

Asked whether the playoff loss to Philadelphia exposed a lack of team toughness, Gauthier cited Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago as successful teams who have maintained winning formulas based on a consistent identity.
Quote:
"We like our leadership group," Gauthier said, promising a captain would be named – by management – before the season begins. The GM said the Canadiens are blessed with "emotional" leaders who "care about the team."

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Chicago is now a mutilated victim whose got most of their face intact, but the rest is a sheer mess and unrecognizable.

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Malkin, Staal. We have Gomez, Plekanec, Eller/Boyd/Halpern/Lapeirre/whomever gets the 3rd line centre role.

Pittsburgh, Detroit and especially Chicago had tons of team toughness

Pittsburgh has Brooks Orpik who's a physical guy. Montréal has ?
Detroit has Brad Stuart and Niklas "air" Kronwall. Montréal has ?
Chicago has Brent Seabrook, Dustin Byfuglien*. Montréal has ?

Exactly. We have O'bryne, but he's rarely played. Spacek throws the occasional big hit that always makes you wonder why he doesn't do it more often.

However, the speed and intelligence for the team is a nice touch. Could be the homer in me, but I see the habs as a team that's defense first, but on the transition with their speed and their "intelligence" can be very deadly.

We should be solid this year, but next year with Gill probably retiring, Hamrlik coming off the books and a couple RFAs we could sign to longer deals, or trade and hopefully re-signing Markov, we could get the rest of the pieces and be set for a few years.

Or let rookies take those spots.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Ketzlaf

Dammit I prefer slow and stupid players.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

definatly see the intelligence and speed identity. Seems to me also that leadership core cares; i don't know how 'emotional' they are about it, but they seem to have excellent work ethic and want to win. Or so that was the impression i got during the PO.

Lets go Habies!

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:55 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideou...uthier.mp3.MP3

Audio from the Montreal Gazette.

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Dammit I prefer slow and stupid players.

Old
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Sebaldian

TSN has an article up now too:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333648

Old
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Chicago is now a mutilated victim whose got most of their face intact, but the rest is a sheer mess and unrecognizable.

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Malkin, Staal. We have Gomez, Plekanec, Eller/Boyd/Halpern/Lapeirre/whomever gets the 3rd line centre role.

Pittsburgh, Detroit and especially Chicago had tons of team toughness

Pittsburgh has Brooks Orpik who's a physical guy. Montréal has ?
Detroit has Brad Stuart and Niklas "air" Kronwall. Montréal has ?
Chicago has Brent Seabrook, Dustin Byfuglien*. Montréal has ?

Exactly. We have O'bryne, but he's rarely played. Spacek throws the occasional big hit that always makes you wonder why he doesn't do it more often.

However, the speed and intelligence for the team is a nice touch. Could be the homer in me, but I see the habs as a team that's defense first, but on the transition with their speed and their "intelligence" can be very deadly.

We should be solid this year, but next year with Gill probably retiring, Hamrlik coming off the books and a couple RFAs we could sign to longer deals, or trade and hopefully re-signing Markov, we could get the rest of the pieces and be set for a few years.

Or let rookies take those spots.
You failed to get his point, but I get yours. What PG means, is that a consistent identity is what makes them successful... therefore building the identity of a fast and intelligent team. He wasn't comparing their identity to the habs.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
You failed to get his point, but I get yours. What PG means, is that a consistent identity is what makes them successful... therefore building the identity of a fast and intelligent team. He wasn't comparing their identity to the habs.
I know, but they were able to keep their identity by having players, great players.

We have good players, we have Markov who's great. I'm not sure of a team who has one great player, who they might lose and have been able to be successful. In order to have a mediocre team and win, you need players who can adapt to every situation.

Rough game, offensive game, defensive game, special teams game, mental game. Philadelphia will more than likely end our playoff run short if we go on another run.

Then again, Philly could be our Achilles' tendon regardless of the team we have. Kind of like the habs against the bruins in the 70's.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Hugo Sham

i understand the need for an identity but to deflect attention away from the toughness issue was transparent and dumb on his part. maybe he could make the argument about detroit, who by the way, have been looking for a tough guy to replace Mccarty for years. Downey was invited back to camp. clearly bertuzzi is not the answer. as per pitt and chicago, give me a break...didn't pitt just sign asham to go along with cooke, rupp and goddard? even though chicago traded byfuglien and eager, didn't they just sign john scott to go along with dave bolland and NHL-ready kyle beach.
please don't play us for idiots on this issue goat.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:14 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i understand the need for an identity but to deflect attention away from the toughness issue was transparent and dumb on his part. maybe he could make the argument about detroit, who by the way, have been looking for a tough guy to replace Mccarty for years. Downey was invited back to camp. clearly bertuzzi is not the answer. as per pitt and chicago, give me a break...didn't pitt just sign asham to go along with cooke, rupp and goddard? even though chicago traded byfuglien and eager, didn't they just sign john scott to go along with dave bolland and NHL-ready kyle beach.
please don't play us for idiots on this issue goat.
yea, its a conspiracy. PG actually wants to get tougher, but cant (insert reasoning here *), so he lies to its fan base that it doesn't need goons, but he actually knows we need em, because hes lying. did i get it right?

Old
09-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Pascal

If you look back at the cup winners of the last 20 years, most of them didn't have "tough teams". They had really smart players, top end talent and/or defensive systems (Devils) and good leadership with solid to great goaltending to go with it all.. The only cup-winning team in recent years that were really big and played tough were the Ducks.

Looking back at the Avs, Wings, Devils, Canes and Lightning I can't think of them as having been especially tough or huge. What they did have are players who weren't afraid of playing in traffic and in tough games (Sakic, Zetterberg, St-Louis, Richards, Staal, etc...)

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
If you look back at the cup winners of the last 20 years, most of them didn't have "tough teams". They had really smart players, top end talent and/or defensive systems (Devils) and good leadership with solid to great goaltending to go with it all.. The only cup-winning team in recent years that were really big and played tough were the Ducks.

Looking back at the Avs, Wings, Devils, Canes and Lightning I can't think of them as having been especially tough or huge.
they played solid smart hockey with great/exceptional goal tending. they had their bruisers, but they had little/no impact in the run

Old
09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
It makes no sense to talk about Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago based on the fact that the identity didn't make those teams win. Their superior players did.

I really hope that the people who think Burke is dumb to continue on his "consistant" identity to bring stupid and slow thugs don't agree with Gauthier's view either.

You also wonder why does speed and intelligence has to take all the place and not grit and toughness be a part of it as well. Nobody is talking about slow and stupid thugs that won't be able to fit the "main" criteria. You can be tough and still use some speed and intelligence to your game.

To me, if you build an identity SOLELY on those 2 terms, in the end, you are still human beings. Human beings that will be dead tired after a long season after being continuously hit and never were able to respond. Add the fact that the injury factor is a real risk with that type of identity, and chances are you won't be able to show your real colour in due time.

Maybe you need to focus on one identity and be consistent about it. Though my identity would be to have a more adequate balance between a lot of styles. Let's call it a hybrid identity....

And let's answer that question....do most teams not want intelligent players on their team? And most of the teams don't recognize the importance of speed? I mean, to me, those 2 terms are the base of any adequate NHL team. Then, you go to a step further by adding desire, grit, toughness, strenght, commitment, pure talent, and a great system in place.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It makes no sense to talk about Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago based on the fact that the identity didn't make those teams win. Their superior players did.

I really hope that the people who think Burke is dumb to continue on his "consistant" identity to bring stupid and slow thugs don't agree with Gauthier's view either.

You also wonder why does speed and intelligence has to take all the place and not grit and toughness be a part of it as well. Nobody is talking about slow and stupid thugs that won't be able to fit the "main" criteria. You can be tough and still use some speed and intelligence to your game.

To me, if you build an identity SOLELY on those 2 terms, in the end, you are still human beings. Human beings that will be dead tired after a long season after being continuously hit and never were able to respond. Add the fact that the injury factor is a real risk with that type of identity, and chances are you won't be able to show your real colour in due time.

Maybe you need to focus on one identity and be consistent about it. Though my identity would be to have a more adequate balance between a lot of styles. Let's call it a hybrid identity....
agreed on some parts (hybrid style; balance), though i would think PG / Gainey have tried to get the bigger names here, with no success. I wouldnt say PG is building the team with only those 2 goals in mind, and im sure he would agree with you when it comes to balance/hybrid style, giving more of an importance to smart play / speed (new habs remind me alot of buffalo? ). I really did not get the sense he was downplaying the importance of "thoughness" throught the interview.

Old
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
De Montreal
help

Damn it's so weird to see our GM smile

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Mue

Habs I/O has some audio from Eller, Schultz, Maxwell and a few others.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
PG can sell his vision and identity of the team all he wants the bottom line his, if the team doesnt succeed he will be the one leaving.. He is unofficial interim unless he does great.. He traded halak and we can pretty much say thats all he has done. If the team is unable to put it together this year i dont think he might still be in position, in the other hand we can feel gauthier isnt the type of GM to forget about small details but might underate the bigger ones... Wich could cost him.. There is big names out there waiting to have a chance not only to tweak a team but willimg to transform a team with a new fresh identity. Btw i dont say it would be a sucess but we have had the same type of mentality for years without real success... But honestly i am thrilled to see what this team could do.. Simply because of Subban.. If he exploded as a rookie he will generate a lot of space for our small forwards... If he doesnt i expect maybe the veterans to play better but lets face it gomez gionta cammalleri and plekanec wont bring you : the president trophy, the stanley cup or a hart ross or anything that can spark the imagination of a emotional, proud and winning fan base. Basically we still rely in our kids price and subban (maybe eller but not this year). Montreal fans wants results and we did last spring but we traded our biggest hero.. The main reason we got there.. The marketing ace who generated lot of money in only 2-3 weeks.. For Carey who hasnt really looked on the same page of those who made us reach the 3th round last year, in term of sacrifices towards the team and efforts towards himself.

Gotta wait and see, until then i reserve my opinion of the Club hockey Canadien.

Last edited by Crusher20: 09-13-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
neofury*

Just curious, is it the same tough Kronwall that Laraque injured last year?

Being tough doesn't exempt you from being injured and frankly it doesn't save you from getting injured having a guy like that on your team. People think it does but it's way overvalued. Half the time guys like this are a scratch while other times they lose games for their team.

Not saying Kronwall is one of those guys but just saying even a tough guy can get injured and most of them are scratched half the time. Their effectiveness is really overvalued and imo we have plenty of guys who are tough, Moen, Lapierre, etc, and rather than fight they're intelligent about their toughness (in most cases)

I don't want tough guys like Laraque or Cooke who try to injure people etc. (In this example Laraque did a dirty knee on knee, not saying he's the kind of guy to always do this, just saying I don't want people who do on my team, i.e. Cooke)

I'll take intelligent but slightly less tough over super tough but stupid any day of the week, even if it means no heavyweight in MTL.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
neofury*

If Subban as a rookie has a rookie of the year type year we would have to have half our top six and even some of our D injured to not do well this year.

Price, Subban, Eller, if these three players play well I'm confident we could even be the best team in the east barring injuries.

Of course this likely won't be the case just saying though, those three players playing like confident NHLers and playing well equates for us a team that is twice as good.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just curious, is it the same tough Kronwall that Laraque injured last year?

Being tough doesn't exempt you from being injured and frankly it doesn't save you from getting injured having a guy like that on your team. People think it does but it's way overvalued. Half the time guys like this are a scratch while other times they lose games for their team.

Not saying Kronwall is one of those guys but just saying even a tough guy can get injured and most of them are scratched half the time. Their effectiveness is really overvalued and imo we have plenty of guys who are tough, Moen, Lapierre, etc, and rather than fight they're intelligent about their toughness (in most cases)

I don't want tough guys like Laraque or Cooke who try to injure people etc. (In this example Laraque did a dirty knee on knee, not saying he's the kind of guy to always do this, just saying I don't want people who do on my team, i.e. Cooke)

I'll take intelligent but slightly less tough over super tough but stupid any day of the week, even if it means no heavyweight in MTL.
Word association with the bolded part..............

Mike Komisarek

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

People like to point out the instance where our lack of size and grits has cost us, but nobody mention a thing when we burn another team with our speed and transition game.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Another random thought:

This team couldn't be describe as a "gritty" team. I think everyone here would agree on this.

But which of our players would we qualify as soft?

Before answering the question, think carefully. I'm not asking about "non-gritty players", I'm asking about players who are clearly above average in term of softness, who shy away physical contact, and who tend to stay on the perimeter. Remembers that as a fan base, we know a lot about soft players: we've seen a lot of them in the past decade.

There's aren't many. In our top 6. Plekanec and Pouliot are probably the softest, and they are already way more gritty than the Yanick Perreault, Donald Audette, Oleg Petrov and Mariusz Czerkawski on who we used to rely on not so long ago.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Turboflex*

Never know why people are so obsessed with TOUGHNESSSSS RAWR when it keeps getting proven that overhyped TOUGHGUYSSSS certain posters here fetishize such as Lucic, Orpik, Volchenkov, Komisarek, Armstrong, etc usually end up not being worth their inflated salaries for their limited offensive contributions. They never seem to win anything either whent hey become big money players.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Why a press conference? A whole lot of talking to say... absolutely nothing. Gauthier should think of a career in politics instead of hockey.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote