HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PG media briefing: Team identity and leadership core

Old
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Why a press conference? A whole lot of talking to say... absolutely nothing. Gauthier should think of a career in politics instead of hockey.
I enjoyed it. Glad it was posted.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
If you look back at the cup winners of the last 20 years, most of them didn't have "tough teams". They had really smart players, top end talent and/or defensive systems (Devils) and good leadership with solid to great goaltending to go with it all.. The only cup-winning team in recent years that were really big and played tough were the Ducks.
I think you are wrong. You could go through all those winning teams and pick out a handful of physical, gritty forwards on every team who made a huge difference. Their defence was very big and strong on those winning teams as well.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Why a press conference? A whole lot of talking to say... absolutely nothing. Gauthier should think of a career in politics instead of hockey.
If you listen to the audio, he actually say a lot of things

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
MathMan

I agree with Gauthier that basing one's team on speed, intelligence (and he's hopefully implying skill without saying it) is the best formula to success. I do think the Habs need to start playing a lot smarter before they get there, though.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Hfboards2010

I'm all for speed, intelligence, & leadership, as long as it's not a team of nanobots.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Jigger77

Ian Shultz sounds like he's a go getter. It'll be interesting to see what this guy can bring to the table. I don't see him making the team this year but I like the attitude on the kid. Not sure I like the fact that he wants to be like Milan Lucic though.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
I've thought all summer that the captain would be Markov or Gionta...now starting to think it'll be Cammalleri based on Gauthier's comments
- Eric Engels on twitter

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

The loss to philly obviously has nothing to do with team toughness. However, our talented offensive players being really small coupled with the defense not being able to produce much of anything offensively was.

Bad news : we're still small up front and are forced into a certain style of offense off the rush and making the most out defensive mistakes from the other team.

Good news : we should be slightly better offensively on D with Markov healthy (cross fingers) and with the addition of Subban.

Hopefully a bit more creativity and offense from the D will open some space for our forwards to create more chances for themselves. And maybe our 3rd and 4th line can be slightly more productive.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
If you listen to the audio, he actually say a lot of things
I watched it online and I listened to it. Allow me a quote here by Mike Boone, who seems to share the same point of view:

"Pierre Gauthier seemed more at ease saying nothing of consequence than Bob Gainey ever did."

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:
I watched it online and I listened to it. Allow me a quote here by Mike Boone, who seems to share the same point of view:

"Pierre Gauthier seemed more at ease saying nothing of consequence than Bob Gainey ever did."
What kind of things were you expecting Gauthier to say? What deeply profound and intelligent question did he avoid?

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The loss to philly obviously has nothing to do with team toughness. However, our talented offensive players being really small coupled with the defense not being able to produce much of anything offensively was.

Bad news : we're still small up front and are forced into a certain style of offense off the rush and making the most out defensive mistakes from the other team.

Good news : we should be slightly better offensively on D with Markov healthy (cross fingers) and with the addition of Subban.

Hopefully a bit more creativity and offense from the D will open some space for our forwards to create more chances for themselves. And maybe our 3rd and 4th line can be slightly more productive.
Listen, if we would somehow (knock on wood) lose Markov for the whole season, wouldn't you say that our defense will be a lot worse?

162 games of Subban and Markov VS 45 games of Markov.... slight improvement?

The improvement is gonna be all-around also, as Markov and Subban will have an impact on defense, offense and transition.

In his 16 games with the Habs, Subban had one of the lowest GAA on the team.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:23 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Being a politician is a piece of cake compared to PG's job.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Dammit I prefer slow and stupid players.
You must be a Maple Leaf fan.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Never know why people are so obsessed with TOUGHNESSSSS RAWR when it keeps getting proven that overhyped TOUGHGUYSSSS certain posters here fetishize such as Lucic, Orpik, Volchenkov, Komisarek, Armstrong, etc usually end up not being worth their inflated salaries for their limited offensive contributions. They never seem to win anything either whent hey become big money players.
The Flyers-Habs PO series of last year. I'm guessing you watched them with your eyes closed.

Old
09-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Listen, if we would somehow (knock on wood) lose Markov for the whole season, wouldn't you say that our defense will be a lot worse?

162 games of Subban and Markov VS 45 games of Markov.... slight improvement?

The improvement is gonna be all-around also, as Markov and Subban will have an impact on defense, offense and transition.

In his 16 games with the Habs, Subban had one of the lowest GAA on the team.
Well it's incertain.

For one, Subban has to continue on that pace (which I think he will but you never know, he's a rookie after all).

Second, Markov has to stay healthy. Markov played more than half of the season last year, so there's room for it to be worse.

If markov plays 82 games at the level he used to play, Subban plays 82 games at the level he's played so far, then we're vastly better on D. It would help Hamrlik and Spacek to play a little less too. And having Gill+Gorges playing mostly PK and during crunch defensive times would make our D really good. But there quite a bit of incertitude here so I ended up settling for "slightly better". I could have been a bit more optimistic and said : "we're going to be incredibly better than last year on D, it will be the best D in the east" but eh..

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
The Flyers-Habs PO series of last year. I'm guessing you watched them with your eyes closed.
I had my eyes opened when watching that series and I didn't see the Habs getting beaten by the Flyers toughness. What I did see was Martin getting beaten at his own game: a strong defensive system.

Habs were able to control the puck in the perimeter; Gomez could carry the puck in the offensive zone without being touched; but they were unable to get many decent shots. And when they did, Flyers Halak-version would make the save more often than not.

What I saw was Giroux, Briere, Gagne superior production. I didn't see Carcillo, Hartnell, Laperriere, Asham beating up Habs smaller players.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
I had my eyes opened when watching that series and I didn't see the Habs getting beaten by the Flyers toughness. What I did see was Martin getting beaten at his own game: a strong defensive system.
The Flyers did not even need to use toughness to beat the Habs. Make no mistake, Laviolette would have gooned it up, had he needed to.

Old
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
The Flyers did not even need to use toughness to beat the Habs. Make no mistake, Laviolette would have gooned it up, had he needed to.
And it could have cost him. But as you said, it didn't happen therefore toughness or lack thereof was not an issue.

Old
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:

Habs were able to control the puck in the perimeter; Gomez could carry the puck in the offensive zone without being touched; but they were unable to get many decent shots. And when they did, Flyers Halak-version would make the save more often than not.

What I saw was Giroux, Briere, Gagne superior production. I didn't see Carcillo, Hartnell, Laperriere, Asham beating up Habs smaller players.
You obvious do not see the irony in your post, so allow me to point it out to you.

Why do you think the Habs stayed on the perimeters? Do you think it had anything to do with the Flyers' size & physicality?

And why do you assume size and grit instantly equates to goon? Robinson, Lapointe had size and physical presence but no one would call them goons.

The Habs need more size & grit. The Flyers series exposed that aspect of the Habs game. Gauthier did a little to address it but I don't think it was enough.

Old
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You obvious do not see the irony in your post, so allow me to point it out to you.

Why do you think the Habs stayed on the perimeters? Do you think it had anything to do with the Flyers' size & physicality?

And why do you assume size and grit instantly equates to goon? Robinson, Lapointe had size and physical presence but no one would call them goons.

The Habs need more size & grit. The Flyers series exposed that aspect of the Habs game. Gauthier did a little to address it but I don't think it was enough.
I admit I failed to see the irony in my post but I thank you for pointing that out. I thought I was expressing a tight defensive box-style system but I guess it's all about size and physicality. Considering that's pretty much the system Martin used against the Caps and the Pens, I guess Habs also have size and physicality. No need to add any then.

Old
09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
And it could have cost him. But as you said, it didn't happen therefore toughness or lack thereof was not an issue.
It would have cost him the same way it cost him in his 2006 playoffs run or the same way it cost him against the Bruins. When you take out a key piece of the opposite team in an even series, it is usually the end.

Old
09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Andy

Quote:
I admit I failed to see the irony in my post but I thank you for pointing that out. I thought I was expressing a tight defensive box-style system but I guess it's all about size and physicality. Considering that's pretty much the system Martin used against the Caps and the Pens, I guess Habs also have size and physicality. No need to add any then.

We did not lose to the Flyers because their size. We lost because we couldn't match their depth. They had three legitmate scoring lines, our players were running around our zone for most of the games.

MathMan actually had a great post explaining what happened that series and size had little to do with it considering that the three players that killed us were Briere, Giroux and Leino, three players not known for their toughness and physicality.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
It would have cost him the same way it cost him in his 2006 playoffs run or the same way it cost him against the Bruins. When you take out a key piece of the opposite team in an even series, it is usually the end.
I guess his players failed to get the message of taking out Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp. Surprised to read that the Staal, Stillman, Cullen, Brind'Amour, Recchi, Weight, Kaberle and Ward contributions meant so little in the Canes winning the Cup that year.

Old
09-13-2010, 07:38 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
He learned from the best
That's why Gainey is still around as an adviser

Or perhaps you would've preferred that he would've said something along the lines of:

I'm not giving the "C" to Markov unless he agrees to an extension

I traded Halak because his agent is a jackass and we believe that Price will be better long term

Kostitsyn better get his ass in gear early or I'm going to deal his a$$ for a bucket of pucks and an extra-large pizza

Martin better get this pouliot kid performing or its both their a$$e$

It just doesn't wash with an organization such as ours but one can always dream

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
I guess his players failed to get the message of taking out Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp. Surprised to read that the Staal, Stillman, Cullen, Brind'Amour, Recchi, Weight, Kaberle and Ward contributions meant so little in the Canes winning the Cup that year.
Much harder to goon it up against a team which is as feisty and as big as you are.