Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football > Fantasy Football

Waiver Wire Thread

Old
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Waiver Wire Thread

Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can point out some good waiver wire pickups who might be available in your league. It can be guys who maybe are gong to see extended time because of an injury to someone else, or who had a breakthrough performance and looks to be figuring more prominently into the offense, etc. Also players who may not be immediate pickups but "guys to watch" can be thrown in here. Only stipulation is it should be guys one can realistically be expected to be available in most standard leagues (so someone like Arian Foster doesn't count).

My picks for this week:

Mark Clayton, WR. Guy had 10 catches from Bradford, looks to be a solid pickup for anyone needing help at WR
Brandon Jackson, RB. With Grant's status uncertain for week 2, Jackson is an intriguing option going against a Bills defense notoriously poor against the run.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:24 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can point out some good waiver wire pickups who might be available in your league. It can be guys who maybe are gong to see extended time because of an injury to someone else, or who had a breakthrough performance and looks to be figuring more prominently into the offense, etc. Also players who may not be immediate pickups but "guys to watch" can be thrown in here. Only stipulation is it should be guys one can realistically be expected to be available in most standard leagues (so someone like Arian Foster doesn't count).

My picks for this week:

Mark Clayton, WR. Guy had 10 catches from Bradford, looks to be a solid pickup for anyone needing help at WR
Brandon Jackson, RB. With Grant's status uncertain for week 2, Jackson is an intriguing option going against a Bills defense notoriously poor against the run.
Me as well.

I will likely even start him over Moreno.

Is that a smart move?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I will likely even start him over Moreno.

Is that a smart move?

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:49 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 1810
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Mike Vick

Kolb's not playing next week, he's not going to practice until Friday at the earliest, and they're going to be cautious with him. Detroit's defense sucks, and Vick will be able to run all over them, as well as pass all over them.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:07 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Grant is out this week, BTW. Go grab jackson ASAP.

i'm not as sold on vick, but for at least one week he should be a solid play. If it's a 1QB league, probably not worth it, but in a 2QB league he'll be a fine QB2.

09-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

The Hot pickup this week will be Legedu Naanee but i usually wait at least 2 weeks be4 i add/drop players b/c anyone could have a hot/cold week 1. And Naanee might lose targets once Crayton get acclamated with offense, plus Floyd and Gates wont be shut down like that every week.

Ryan Grant owners go grab Brandon Jackson

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Grant's done for the season, get Brandon Jackson before someone else does.

Old
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

got him... paid a bunch. Auction waivers with $100 for the year, i paid $30 for him. I get an extra starting back though, so i think it`s worth it.

Jackson isnt just for grant owners. If he`s still available in your league (and he probably is), grab him ASAP. A whole year with a top offense that likes to use him as a feature back. He`ll average 20 carries and a TD this season.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Jackson isnt just for grant owners. If he`s still available in your league (and he probably is), grab him ASAP. A whole year with a top offense that likes to use him as a feature back. He`ll average 20 carries and a TD this season.
My concern is using a good chunk of my free agent budget, and then seeing him struggle a week or two, followed by Green Bay going out and getting someone to handle the RB1 duties. I'm not saying it's likely, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:42 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
My concern is using a good chunk of my free agent budget, and then seeing him struggle a week or two, followed by Green Bay going out and getting someone to handle the RB1 duties. I'm not saying it's likely, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.
I spent 30% of my budget. First guy to go for over $1 (granted it's week 2). Sure, there's downside, but the upside here is a top-15 fantasy back. His coach called him a 3-down back, and he performed very well in relief of grant. Jackson is going to get 20 touches a week with this offense, simple as that, and considering the passing offense the packers have, teams will focus on that and give jackson the opportunity to win games. I cant remember the last time i've seen a waiver pickup with this upside.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
jackson is the obvious choice, i have a team that was overloaded with rb's but used my #1 waiver to pick up jackson anyways because he'll end up a top-10 back barring injury by the end of the year

grant was an average back who thrived in green bay's system, and there is no reason why jackson won't be able to do the same

in another league i picked up peyton hillis, as for some reason mangini seems to hate harrison and hillis has some upside

not sold on vick at all and can see reid going right back to kolb when he's healthy enough to play...they didn't trade mcnabb away to give the team to vick

Jack Tripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:05 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

If someone dropped v-jax, go pick him up now. Suspension down to 4 games, and vikings are the likely trade destination. Could be huge for you down the stretch run.

Old
09-16-2010, 07:46 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
I spent 30% of my budget. First guy to go for over $1 (granted it's week 2). Sure, there's downside, but the upside here is a top-15 fantasy back. His coach called him a 3-down back, and he performed very well in relief of grant. Jackson is going to get 20 touches a week with this offense, simple as that, and considering the passing offense the packers have, teams will focus on that and give jackson the opportunity to win games. I cant remember the last time i've seen a waiver pickup with this upside.
Yeah we have a $100 budget and there's no question he's worth $30. I might even bid a little more. From talking to a few people in my league I think he'll end up going for $50 to the guy who had Grant. What I like is I don't think Grant is anything special, so Jackson should be able to do nearly as well, barring losing some goal line stuff. As long as the Packers don't trade for someone like Lynch, Choice, McGahee, etc. then it should be a real good pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
grant was an average back who thrived in green bay's system, and there is no reason why jackson won't be able to do the same
That's a huge selling point for sure. I could see Jackson stepping in and doing very close to what Grant did, minus losing some goal line touches.
Quote:
If someone dropped v-jax, go pick him up now. Suspension down to 4 games, and vikings are the likely trade destination. Could be huge for you down the stretch run.
Absolutely. I drafted him just hoping this suspension would be shortened, so needless to say I was thrilled today. Just gotta cross my fingers now and hope he's traded by Wednesday.

Old
09-19-2010, 11:47 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Demaryius Thomas had quite the NFL debut and only played about 20-25 snaps. I'm sure he's available as he's been hurt all pre-season and week 1.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Dropping Brandon Jacobs for Tim Hightower.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Dropping Heath Miller for Aaron Hernandez.. seems like he's getting quite a few targets from Tom Brady and is on a upwards trend in receptions and yardage. seems like a solid backup TE or even a starter the way Jason Witten has been playing for me.

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I need to replace Matt Moore as my #2 now that Claussen is starting in week 3.

Should I add Clausen on waivers (against a good Bengals D) or wait for news out of OAK and go with Gradkowski on waivers if he is named the starter?

I only need a temporary guy as I have Big Ben waiting on the sidelines.

Edit: I decided to go with Clausen for now as I don't see OAK benching Campbell yet and I don't want to risk losing out on a starting QB in week 3 by waiting.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Demaryius Thomas had quite the NFL debut and only played about 20-25 snaps. I'm sure he's available as he's been hurt all pre-season and week 1.
only thing im scared of wit Him is Royal had a a good day 2 and last week when Thomas was out it was all Gaffney and Lloyd, so it could be any 1 of the 4 on any given week for them

Last edited by Big Poppa Puck: 09-20-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Drop Vick, Kolb's back.

Old
09-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Could be useful but is someone you can hardly count on from week to week.

If available, a better add is Kevin Walter.

Also, Jason Snelling just in case Turner isn't 100% for next week

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Mike Tolbert could be an interesting guy to look at. When Mathews got hurt it was Tolbert, not Sproles, getting the carries. While Mathews might be able to go on Sunday, if not Tolbert is the guy to grab.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Time to drop Brent Celek? Philly TE getting no love in fantasy, backup Marcedes Lewis already looking better than him.

Lot of great alternate options:

Jason Snelling
Kevin Walter
Mark Clayton
Mike Tolbert
Nate Washington
Peyton Hillis

That's the top 6 available offensive players non-QB. Who do you take?

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
third man in

Should I drop Crabtree for Walter? He looks awful so far. I lost the first weeks head to head because of him, and had him on the bench for this week.

The other move for me to consider is dropping Ryan Longwell for Jeff Reed.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

No. Sign Louis Murphy asap. He is by far Oaklands best wide reciever.

Louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
No. Sign Louis Murphy asap. He is by far Oaklands best wide reciever.

Louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Ha i just put a Drop Lee Evans pick-up Louis Murphy waiver as I was watching the end of the Oakland game

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote