HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the emergence of Tavares and Okposo's season affected who will be captain?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2011, 10:51 AM
  #1
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Has the emergence of Tavares and Okposo's season affected who will be captain?

Tavares was always going to score more points than Okposo- most wouldn't even think about arguing that. But a captain is about so much more than points produced.

If one player is outscoring the other, than the other player better bring a huge physical presence to the line-up...a taskmaster of sorts who also sets the tone physically- that means huge hits, and is willing to drop the mitts. They have to bring something to the locker room if they're not scoring- it's as simple as that.

Next season, when the Islanders are involved in bigger and bigger games, Tavares will be there. Okposo played enough games to get his timing back, but still shows that maddening inconsistency in the goal scoring department. Sure, he's a hard working, defensively responsible second line winger, but the evidence continues to mount that he simply doesn't have what it takes to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

He certainly hasn't shown enough of a mean streak or physical presence to warrant the captaincy either.

So who should be captain? Future 500 goal first line centre, or second line defensive winger?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
  #2
On Edge
Registered User
 
On Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
JT > KO. This is JT's team. KO has not showed enough consistently for me yet - and I'm not talking about his scoring.

A-mac dark horse Captain pick for me. I love how he handles himself and seems like a natural leader.

Probably will be Streit with the C.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:05 AM
  #3
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
its absolutely insane how many posts okposo hits. i wish someone could keep track of that, i wouldnt be shocked if he would lead the league by a hefty margin. That being said, you HAVE to imagine that sooner or later those posts are going to start giving results for him.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:10 AM
  #4
VT Isles Fan
Registered User
 
VT Isles Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Okposo drives me nuts with his inconsistency, sometimes you hardly notice he's playing.

Because he's the veteran, they probably give it to Streit now, with the understanding it'll eventually be JT's.

Funny, at the beginning of the season I might've included Bailey in that mix, but not now.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:11 AM
  #5
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
I know Okposo's a leader, but I'd rather have a leader who leads by example. I can see Tavares as the future captain a little easier than Okposo for just that reason.

I wouldn't be at all opposed to seeing Streit, Tavares, Konopka and MacDonald collectively rotate the "C" & 3 "A's".....several teams (pretty sure at least Minnesota & Buffalo) do a little rotation throughout the season, or they have in previous years.

Once thing's for sure - this teams needs a captain at the start of next season.


Last edited by 88th Precinct: 04-10-2011 at 11:22 AM.
88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:20 AM
  #6
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 500
I'd bet it would be Streit with the "C" and JT and Amac with the "A's" next year.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
  #7
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 20,629
vCash: 500
For sure. Last year I would've thought Okposo/Streit. Now I think that Tavares ultimately has to have it. It makes sense to give it to Streit but I also think it's weird to make a guy captain who didn't have anything to do with this past season.

__________________

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:37 AM
  #8
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
JT's great on the ice. He seems rather subdued off the ice to take on the role as captain.
I like the idea of Streit as captain, Amac and KO as assistants.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:45 AM
  #9
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
Okposo drives me nuts with his inconsistency, sometimes you hardly notice he's playing.

Because he's the veteran, they probably give it to Streit now, with the understanding it'll eventually be JT's.

Funny, at the beginning of the season I might've included Bailey in that mix, but not now.
Few things about your post. I agree with Okposo's inconsistency. I disagree with you saying that sometimes you dont notice him playing. There is something about every shift he plays that I notice, especially the little things (and of course his giveaways). The guy has a lot of work to do that is for sure but he is such a hardworker. Most of the guys on the team now are showing good work ethic so Okposo seems to blend in a little more. He stood out his first couple years simply because of the work ethic he has and most of the players on the team at that point didn't even compare. Could the team have used Okposo as an example? Not sure, but if so it could prove his leadership.

I can see Streit getting the captaincy. It might actually be a good idea. But when Streit is done it could be up for grabs. JT is awesome, no doubt about that but I see a captain in Hamonic. I think its his confidence or the fact of how well spoken he is mixed with his skill at 20 years old.

And your Bailey comment. Anyone else notice Bailey standing out more when he centered Okposo and Grabs?

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:55 AM
  #10
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,852
vCash: 500
Streit or Nielsen should be captains IMO. Both can and do lead by example, and are great in every zone of the ice. I would like to see JT with an A, Okposo needs to show more consistency, he was great last year, but this year he was like an average 3rd line player. Really hoping he can comeback and have a big impact next season.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:57 AM
  #11
Daryl
Registered User
 
Daryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Tavares probably will get an A next season but not the C,atleast not yet in my opinion.

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:05 PM
  #12
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
No question this is Johnny's team. An 'A' next season would be a step in the right direction.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:08 PM
  #13
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,060
vCash: 500
Pat Flatley was captain of a team that had Turgeon, Ferraro, King, Thomas & Hogue all outscoring him by a fair amount. You could make a legitimate case that Zenon Konopka was the teams de facto Captain this past season. Captaincy has so much more to do with the locker room than it does on ice production.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
  #14
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Few things about your post. I agree with Okposo's inconsistency. I disagree with you saying that sometimes you dont notice him playing. There is something about every shift he plays that I notice, especially the little things (and of course his giveaways). The guy has a lot of work to do that is for sure but he is such a hardworker. Most of the guys on the team now are showing good work ethic so Okposo seems to blend in a little more. He stood out his first couple years simply because of the work ethic he has and most of the players on the team at that point didn't even compare. Could the team have used Okposo as an example? Not sure, but if so it could prove his leadership.

I can see Streit getting the captaincy. It might actually be a good idea. But when Streit is done it could be up for grabs. JT is awesome, no doubt about that but I see a captain in Hamonic. I think its his confidence or the fact of how well spoken he is mixed with his skill at 20 years old.
Good post.I agree with a lot of your comments.

Give mark Streit the C,let Tavares and KO wear the A's next season.

I think Tavares has made big strides in his development this season,while it's basically been a wasted season for Okposo (because of the surgery).

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
  #15
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Tavares was always going to score more points than Okposo- most wouldn't even think about arguing that. But a captain is about so much more than points produced.

If one player is outscoring the other, than the other player better bring a huge physical presence to the line-up...a taskmaster of sorts who also sets the tone physically- that means huge hits, and is willing to drop the mitts. They have to bring something to the locker room if they're not scoring- it's as simple as that.

Next season, when the Islanders are involved in bigger and bigger games, Tavares will be there. Okposo played enough games to get his timing back, but still shows that maddening inconsistency in the goal scoring department. Sure, he's a hard working, defensively responsible second line winger, but the evidence continues to mount that he simply doesn't have what it takes to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

He certainly hasn't shown enough of a mean streak or physical presence to warrant the captaincy either.

So who should be captain? Future 500 goal first line centre, or second line defensive winger?
I couldn't disagree with you more that KO doesn't show a physical presence.

I didn't realize that team captains had to 'show a mean streak'

I recall your complaint earlier in the season,that 6'0 Okposo didn't drop the gloves like a 7th round enforcer,to defend 6'0 Bailey.My advice then was that Bailey grow a pair and defend himself.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:51 PM
  #16
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,187
vCash: 50
okposo had an A on his chest in his sophmore season, tavares didnt get one until his last 5 games or so. okposo has been in discussion for C for a while now and was voted for an A, not given it too. also, capuano frequently uses okposo to talk to the refs for him. we dont know what goes on in the room so any point made is usually moot.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:06 PM
  #17
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more that KO doesn't show a physical presence.

I didn't realize that team captains had to 'show a mean streak'

I recall your complaint earlier in the season,that 6'0 Okposo didn't drop the gloves like a 7th round enforcer,to defend 6'0 Bailey.My advice then was that Bailey grow a pair and defend himself.
It's not so much that he needs to play like a 7th round enforcer, just that a team expects its' captain, if he's on the ice seeing this happen to a teammate during a stoppage in play, you get in his face, bark at him and back him down. You don't stand for letting your teammates get pushed around. In this respect, Konopka makes a MUCH better captain by 'spirit' than Okposo. Not that Okie isn't captain material, but that until the Islanders are no longer the red-headed stepchildren of the NHL, the argument can be made that the team benefits more from a drill sergeant than a diplomat. While I know that Okposo was injured for most of the season, he has never rallied the team to get on their hind legs and fight as a team like Konopka did after being here for only 3 months, and Okposo's been here for 3 years. By that logic, it's obvious who the more 'effective' leader has been.

When the team is a cup contender, when the league respects the NYI and referees no longer shaft them it'll make more sense having the ambassador/'nice guy' as a captain. Until then, no point trying to teach a hammer to love nails.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
  #18
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano
 
Tavares2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
I think it should be Tavares, because this is his team. Every time he gets touched, the rest of the team makes sure to get back at the other team. The Pittsburgh game with all those fights? Right after a game where Tavares felt he got cheap shotted by Phaneuf, who did not receive a penalty, and slammed the door getting back on the bench.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
  #19
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
It's not so much that he needs to play like a 7th round enforcer, just that a team expects its' captain, if he's on the ice seeing this happen to a teammate during a stoppage in play, you get in his face, bark at him and back him down. You don't stand for letting your teammates get pushed around. In this respect, Konopka makes a MUCH better captain by 'spirit' than Okposo.
I've seen Okposo get pissed and step up when Comeau was given a cheapshot.
By your standards,Tavares shouldn't be in the discussion to be captain because he does not get in opponents faces,bark and make them back down.Come to think of it,I'm having trouble remembering Streit getting in opponents faces,barking and making them back down.


Quote:
When the team is a cup contender, when the league respects the NYI and referees no longer shaft them it'll make more sense having the ambassador/'nice guy' as a captain. Until then, no point trying to teach a hammer to love nails
In that case, I guess the next captain will be Gillies,Konopka or Haley.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:25 PM
  #20
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User
 
OrangeZebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 500
C- Tavares
A- Okposo
A-Streit

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
  #21
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
I wish I could remember where (either CB or Katie), but I recall a story a few months ago about KO being groomed by the team to wear the 'C'. Things could change of course, but I could it sewn on his sweater as early as next year.

We definitely need to see some progress from KO next season, but I think he has the tools and the locker room presence (obviously based purely on what I've read).

JT is going to be the franchise, but I don't get the sense that he has that locker room presence about him. Leading by example isn't bad, but I think JT wears the 'A' on this team.

Throw in that letters are given by the players (not the coach, etc) and I think you see KO with the C and some combination of Streit, KO, and Nielsen with an A.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
  #22
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,628
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
It's not so much that he needs to play like a 7th round enforcer, just that a team expects its' captain, if he's on the ice seeing this happen to a teammate during a stoppage in play, you get in his face, bark at him and back him down.
So, Sakic was a poor captain? Weird, I had no idea, I always thought he was a pretty good captain, but apparently there was a huge part of his job that he wasn't doing at all.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:52 PM
  #23
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
I wish I could remember where (either CB or Katie), but I recall a story a few months ago about KO being groomed by the team to wear the 'C'. Things could change of course, but I could it sewn on his sweater as early as next year.

We definitely need to see some progress from KO next season, but I think he has the tools and the locker room presence (obviously based purely on what I've read).


JT is going to be the franchise, but I don't get the sense that he has that locker room presence about him. Leading by example isn't bad, but I think JT wears the 'A' on this team.

Throw in that letters are given by the players (not the coach, etc) and I think you see KO with the C and some combination of Streit, KO, and Nielsen with an A.
I think Okposo's teammates, voting to give him an A at 21 yrs old,speaks a lot about how respected he is in that lockerroom.

I'm not saying Tavares isn't respected by teammates.Everyone seems to have very high expections for him.Tavares just comes across as more quiet,more introverted.

Which of the two youngsters, do I think will eventually wear the C for the isles? Tavares.

From Tavares' comments about Crosby going into Pittsburgh and making that his team,I get the sense he wants to be the man on the isles,for this to be his team.I think the isles are gonna do whatever they have to, so that Tavares is happy on LI and willing to remain longterm.I don't have a complaint.I'm happy with how Tavares is developing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:57 PM
  #24
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I've seen Okposo get pissed and step up when Comeau was given a cheapshot.
By your standards,Tavares shouldn't be in the discussion to be captain because he does not get in opponents faces,bark and make them back down.Come to think of it,I'm having trouble remembering Streit getting in opponents faces,barking and making them back down.
Wait, wait - don't take what I said out of proportion.

Keep in mind, Tavares sticks up for himself and teammates as well. I've seen Streit do the same thing. So has Okposo. Maybe I worded it a little over-blunt, but you get the idea.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
In that case, I guess the next captain will be Gillies, Konopka or Haley.
I have no problem with the bolded name at least getting an A, even over Okposo. Why? Not just because he fights, not just because he's verbal, but both of those things, plus the fact that he rallies the team. Again, I'm not saying I simply want a goon as a captain, but if Kyle Okposo had ever facilitated these guys into playing like men, I'd be right along with you. The point remains, the team didn't play like men until Konopka pushed the envelope. Whether or not the team would have showed signs of life after the fail-streak is partially due to this. It's not a knock on Okposo as captain as much as it is a strong endorsement for Konopka based on effect.

We can agree to disagree. It's not that I don't think Okie should ever be captain - I just feel that a team can't be fully "respected" until a team proves it shouldn't be ****ed with. Poke a dog with a stick enough and it'll bite, and that's when the guy holding the stick learns that the dog can take a chunk out of him. I just think Konopka helps tell the league not to mess with us...and after letting it 'sink in,' Okposo could be the more 'respectable' captain.

If I had my call, Konopka, Okposo, Streit & Tavares would rotate a "C" and 3 "A's", as I said above. They all bring their own intangibles and strengths for the good of the team.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:15 PM
  #25
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
I have no problem with the bolded name at least getting an A, even over Okposo. Why? Not just because he fights, not just because he's verbal, but both of those things, plus the fact that he rallies the team. Again, I'm not saying I simply want a goon as a captain, but if Kyle Okposo had ever facilitated these guys into playing like men, I'd be right along with you. The point remains, the team didn't play like men until Konopka pushed the envelope. Whether or not the team would have showed signs of life after the fail-streak is partially due to this. It's not a knock on Okposo as captain as much as it is a strong endorsement for Konopka based on effect.
Fans don't know what each guy brings into the lockerroom as far as leadership.We can only go by the occassional article or teammate comment

I like a lot of what Konopka brings to the team:toughness,pride in the sweater he wears and a refusal to be pushed around.One thing to keep in mind, is that those traits didn't do much to turn the tide during that brutal losing streak.

Like you say..we'll have to agree to disagree on this one

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.