HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
galiano

vCash: 500
It's interesting how the Salmon Kings organization plays up the Canucks affiliation as does the local press. When Rai was assigned it was headlines in the Times colonist.

I have watched a lot of highlites of the ECHL and man it looks slow. This is likely a good place for Rai to start his career and really it would be good if the Canucks sent them more players.

Old
10-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Tiranis

On a completely random note, does anyone remember what the deal was with Claude Giroux in his draft year? I remember he had a great QMJHL rookie season but he was still ranked in late 1st by pretty much everyone. What were the questionmarks? (I liked him as a prospect but I didn't really follow the draft that closely that year.)

Last edited by Tiranis: 10-27-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old
10-27-2010, 02:35 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
On a completely random note, does anyone remember what the deal was with Claude Giroux in his draft year? I remember he had a great QMJHL rookie season but he was still ranked in late 1st by pretty much everyone. What were the questionmarks?
Probably because of his size, under 6 feet, and the perception that the Q is easier to pile up the points.

Old
10-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Probably because of his size, under 6 feet, and the perception that the Q is easier to pile up the points.
Sure as hell wouldn't happen these days if that's all it was. I suppose it was the first year after lockout though and everyone was still figuring out what was going to fly and what wasn't. Wish we had reached for him instead of Grabner, haha.

Old
10-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Sure as hell wouldn't happen these days if that's all it was. I suppose it was the first year after lockout though and everyone was still figuring out what was going to fly and what wasn't. Wish we had reached for him instead of Grabner, haha.
Comment sentiment from the Nonis era

Old
10-27-2010, 03:02 AM
ahmon

Quote:
well 3 years later, it happened again, another under 6 feet, productive player from the Q was drafted in the late first round, david perron.

Old
10-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
well 3 years later, it happened again, another under 6 feet, productive player from the Q was drafted in the late first round, david perron.
I wouldn't compare the two situations (and it was only a year later, 2007). Why? One, because Perron was completely passed over in 2006; two, because he didn't show nearly the level of dominance that Giroux did (especially considering his age). There were also other questions around Perron — attitude issues, his defensive play was horrible (whereas Giroux was already excellent in his draft year).

Old
10-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
I think the general feeling was that we were going to pick Chris Stewart because we we wanted to add toughness up front. When we picked Grabner it was a bit of a surprise but that draft had a consensus top 13 and after that it got a little random.

Giroux dropped in the draft and I think was generally rated higher than he was picked.

Old
10-27-2010, 03:41 AM
ahmon

Quote:
I wouldn't compare the two situations (and it was only a year later, 2007). Why? One, because Perron was completely passed over in 2006; two, because he didn't show nearly the level of dominance that Giroux did (especially considering his age). There were also other questions around Perron — attitude issues, his defensive play was horrible (whereas Giroux was already excellent in his draft year).
Yeah, you are right, one 1 year later.

I heard about the perron attitude problems at that time as well. But IIRC it wasn't anything serious. There were hockey analysts who thought the issues were overblown.

Old
10-27-2010, 03:44 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
I think the general feeling was that we were going to pick Chris Stewart because we we wanted to add toughness up front. When we picked Grabner it was a bit of a surprise but that draft had a consensus top 13 and after that it got a little random.

Giroux dropped in the draft and I think was generally rated higher than he was picked.
That would have been awesome to have stewart in the lineup.

Right now the only way to upgrade the canucks is either to find an elite dman(not going to happen), or add a power forward. Chris stewart will add a lot to our team right now.

Old
10-27-2010, 04:55 AM
MS

Quote:
He was really small and slightly built, about 5'10, 160. Was also considered a pretty average skater. Guys like that are always going to fall. IIRC Philly actually took him ahead of where he was ranked.

I don't have a problem with the Grabner pick. The talent and upside there was obvious, and in a very thin draft it was a good gamble. I still think he'll be a quality goalscorer in this league.

Old
10-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
It's interesting how the Salmon Kings organization plays up the Canucks affiliation as does the local press. When Rai was assigned it was headlines in the Times colonist.

I have watched a lot of highlites of the ECHL and man it looks slow. This is likely a good place for Rai to start his career and really it would be good if the Canucks sent them more players.
Yes, the ECHL is a step down from AHL level of play, and play on the ice looks a bit disorganized at times. There are a lot of high scoring games though, so it does have some entertainment value. This goal is good for some lolz...

I found the link to that article:

Quote:
“Prab had a really good Canucks rookie camp and surprised everybody,” said Salmon Kings GM and head coach Mark Morrison.

“He definitely has NHL speed. With some hard work, he will be a prospect, for sure. We’ll get our doctors to look at Prab. This is a fairly cautious time right now. With back injuries, you can’t rush things.”
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...megadrop_story

Old
10-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Fork

anybody know what patrick white is up to?

Old
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Placebo Effect

Happily quit following his "progress" when he was traded. He's still playing in the NCAA though as a senior.

Old
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork View Post
anybody know what patrick white is up to?
He was scratched by Don Lucia several times this season. Is pointless in the three games he has played.

Old
10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
galiano

Geez what a comedown for White. From all the promise of being a first round pick to the reality of being a scratched senior. Get your degree Patrick.

Old
10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
He was scratched by Don Lucia several times this season. Is pointless in the three games he has played.
So glad we managed to parlay him and Rahimi into Ehrhoff...wow. I know SJ was desperate to move salary, but major kudos to MG.

Old
10-27-2010, 08:00 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
So glad we managed to parlay him and Rahimi into Ehrhoff...wow. I know SJ was desperate to move salary, but major kudos to MG.
Given that Pat White has hardly looked worthy of a contract from San Jose, the trade would look more like Rahimi + a 2nd rounder, with White basically just cast off, would it not? Or is that compensatory pick business a myth? Either way, still a massive steal of a deal. But kinda makes you wish Patrick White would show...something...anything...worthy of signing for the Sharks. Would prefer to keep that 2nd rounder obviously.

Plus, you've kinda gotta feel for the kid. I mean, it's not his fault he was drafted way way way too high.

Old
10-27-2010, 08:04 PM
The Vengabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Given that Pat White has hardly looked worthy of a contract from San Jose, the trade would look more like Rahimi + a 2nd rounder, with White basically just cast off, would it not? Or is that compensatory pick business a myth? Either way, still a massive steal of a deal. But kinda makes you wish Patrick White would show...something...anything...worthy of signing for the Sharks. Would prefer to keep that 2nd rounder obviously.

Plus, you've kinda gotta feel for the kid. I mean, it's not his fault he was drafted way way way too high.
Canucks dont lose the second rounder. It is an extra pick added to the second round, placed in the spot the player was drafted(+30 places).

Old
10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
thefeebster

Might do this a bit less now with a new job... but here it goes.

Q: Hannay was a surprising +1 in a 6-2 loss; had a fight and a minor penalty; 2 hits. Sounds like a pretty bad game on the Q forum, but here is an excerpt some may find interesting:
Quote:
Hannay needs to sit out a few games. Bring on Lewis or Bishop for 3 or 4 games. We don't need a fighter, not that he's great in that department anyway. We need someone on the backend who can play.
But it sounds like a poor night overall for their defense.

They also had some 1/4 way point report cards for the Moosehead and some notable quotes:
Quote:
Hannay is the returning defenceman who has struggled and mightily so far this season as he has gotten away from what made him so good last year which is playing within his limitations. He is taking dumb penalties consistently and getting beat by looking for the big hit- hopefully this will stop, maybe a night in the press box is needed.
Quote:
Here's what I don't quite understand. Why are they continuing to rotate all the D pairings through Clarke. Think about the last several weeks; All the D have been paired with him. First Gillard and Clarke were consistent partners, then he had Bishop with him for several games, then Lewis, then Desmairas, Hannay's been with him a bit, then last game it was Clarke and Konrad until the 3rd when it was Amyot. Is the issue on defense Amyot, Konrad, Hannay or maybe it's Clarke? He had a strong start in training camp and then nothing much after that.
Quote:
Very much disappointed with Hannay's performance to date. He lacks of hockey sense and takes untimely (dumb) penalties.
Lewis would benefit from Hannay ice time. He showing much improvement and adjusting well. Easy choice to make IMO. Use the potential talent and leave the idlers behind.
Quote:
If I was going to rank the defensmen in order from best to worst (on how they are playing) than they would be...

Amyot
Gillard
Clarke
Abletshauser
Hannay
Quote:
If i was to rank them

1) Desmarais
2) Gillard
3) Clarke
4) Hannay
5) Amyot
6) Abeltshauser
Quote:
Hannay - Needs to relax. Of anyone on this team, he's one that needs to keep his game simple. He was effective last year but just making the safe chip off the glass and being tough. He's still been tough this year, but he's also taken penalties and gotten out of position being overly aggressive. Love the intent, but he needs to reign it in a little bit.
Quote:
Whats up with HANNAY instead of working hard and smart he has done the opposite and now appears headed for the Dieppe Commandos instead of the Vancouver Canucks. Come on Sawyer quit acting like a pylon you are losing your job to Lewis and soon you will be sitting watching the game like me followed by a trip to Dieppe.
http://qmjhleast.proboards.com/index...d=12722&page=2

Anthony picked up an assist tonight - +1 and 6/9 on the faceoffs. He is continuing his PPG pace - 5-6-11 in 11 games.

Speaking of Saint John, their columnist posted this article just yesterday about Sauve. http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1278506

It doesn't add any updates to his health status, but perhaps just bad press.

Old
10-27-2010, 11:31 PM
lindgren

Here's an interesting article on Oberg's progress with the Moose:

http://www.moosehockey.com/moosenews/407/1958

Noel seems pretty pleased with his play so far. It would be an important addition to the Canucks depth if he actually turns into a player.

Old
10-28-2010, 03:24 AM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
Here's an interesting article on Oberg's progress with the Moose:

http://www.moosehockey.com/moosenews/407/1958

Noel seems pretty pleased with his play so far. It would be an important addition to the Canucks depth if he actually turns into a player.
Hmm, we have a poster here who regularly attends Moose games. He doesn't seem to be as impressed by Oberg.

He had a pretty bad camp, but I think he has some potential.

Old
10-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Bjindaho

The Sauve article is frustration that we can`t find out what is wrong with him or when he will return (even a general ETA). It could easily have been avoided if Vancouver said he should be skating next month or in two months.

He spent 4 years here so we care about his health and want to know that he is okay.

Old
10-28-2010, 08:19 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
The Sauve article is frustration that we can`t find out what is wrong with him or when he will return (even a general ETA). It could easily have been avoided if Vancouver said he should be skating next month or in two months.

He spent 4 years here so we care about his health and want to know that he is okay.
I understand the underlying reason of the article but it just seems like something we've gone through before with Hodgson. The lack of cmn and just never knowing his status I think creates a sort of self imposed barrier that the team or mgmt likes.

It could be that or as some posters discussed that the case has insurance claims, etc and they don't want leak any details. It actually sounds like a plausible reason. But still as a fan of course we would like to know his progress and that he is doing well.

Old
10-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Bjindaho

If it is a claim issue, the team could release something saying that they hope to have him on the ice by Christmas. That doesn`t hurt any claim he wants to make but still gives people a timeframe of some sort. No update at all is just a piss off.

Closed Thread