HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2010, 10:55 PM
lush
@jasonlush

vCash: 500
Kind of bummed the Prab Rai thread got closed but I'll post my thoughts here.

Quote:
“I have to say, skating with Manny this summer was a little weird, the last time I played with an East Indian kid was probably in Pee Wee or Atom,” said Rai, who comes by his athleticism honestly. His dad, Bubby, represented Canada at the 1984 Olympics in field hockey.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...#ixzz0zYy3A3XF

He comes from good stock, that's a really good thing. Wasn't one or both of Jovanovski's parents former Olympians?

Old
09-15-2010, 01:47 AM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
Something to think about Tanev

-Kevin Shattenkirk stats http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=105410

- Jeff Petry stats http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=94006

-Dylan Olsen stats http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112346

-compared to Chris Tanev's http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=105112 Tanev with eligible to be drafted last year so that was his season after his "draft".

btw shattenkirk who is considered an offensive defenseman had only 4 goals and 21 points in the year after his draft. comepared to tanevs 10 goals and i think 28 points in 41 games. Shattenkirk was also rated an 8.0 c on hf, while tanev wasn't even in our top 20.

(posted this in the youngstars thread as well)
To be fair, Shattenkirk played for BU (Hockey East), Jeff Petry for Michigan State (CCHA), Olsen for UMD (WCHA), and Tanev for RIT (Atlantic). RIT doesn't face quite the same level of competition in their conference (take a look at the 09/10 schedule), so I would be hesitant to compare his numbers straight across (the same way you might compare Elitserien and Allsvenskan scoring totals in context).

Last edited by RobsonStreet: 09-15-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old
09-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Wayne Maki

Schubert signs with Frolunda, which pushes Andersson down around 6 or 7 on their depth chart. Their first game is on Friday, Bryans' is tomorrow.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:09 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroshaugFan2 View Post
Schubert signs with Frolunda, which pushes Andersson down around 6 or 7 on their depth chart. Their first game is on Friday, Bryans' is tomorrow.
Ughhh, that's bad news. I'd say based on how the pairings have been going, it pushes him down to #7. Even worse in a few months when Backman comes back.

If there are no injuries this year [injuries being the main reason he saw time last season], i see him on loan to the Allsvenskan, which can be both a bad and good thing. More playing time, but a lower division. However, a thing to remember is that OEL played there too and dominated. Hope it won't come to that, but we'll see.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
metric

Andersson has been moving all over the place on the "depth chart". He's played on the top pairing and the bottom pairing. We'll see I guess.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Ughhh, that's bad news. I'd say based on how the pairings have been going, it pushes him down to #7. Even worse in a few months when Backman comes back.

If there are no injuries this year [injuries being the main reason he saw time last season], i see him on loan to the Allsvenskan, which can be both a bad and good thing. More playing time, but a lower division. However, a thing to remember is that OEL played there too and dominated. Hope it won't come to that, but we'll see.
Schubert's contract is only until December 15th and he has an KHL/ NHL release clause until November 12th, so by the time Backman returns Schubert could be gone.
http://www.wildwestsupport.se/newsar...news/?nid=2548

Last edited by Wayne Maki: 09-15-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old
09-15-2010, 02:49 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Andersson has been moving all over the place on the "depth chart". He's played on the top pairing and the bottom pairing. We'll see I guess.
Not so really, he played first in the first few games, i'd think just to get his feet wet. There have been people who've jumped him on the depth chart. Viklund is almost always on the first pairing, Tommernes has jumped him by being a great PP guy and is near a PPG pace in the pre-season. Maenpaa is perhaps their best puck-moving d-man and Oscar Hedman is a vet from last season, along with Mantymaa. Add in Schubert who replaces Backman, there is 6. However, teams are allowed to dress more than 6 d-men but it should see Andersson playing a much lessor role and have less playing minutes.

But i think the fear has been known for a while. There was an article a while back which alluded to him being pushed down again. Taking out OEL and putting in Schubert is the same thing essentially. Another spot taken.

Quote:
I notice that during the season Andersson was used sparingly but in an insulated role, accumulating an average of 12:45 of ice-time in 21 matches. He scored five points (one goal) and was assessed only two minor penalties all season. However, he was not used in the SEL playoffs at all. What did you see as an insider for Canucks fans and what can they realistically expect from Andersson, down the road?

Erik @ EP – He will really have to battle to improve or even keep his ice time. 19-year-old Henrik Tömmernes passed him in the pecking order at the end of the season, and the team just re-signed veteran Oscar Hedman(older brother of Tampa Bay Lightning phemon Victor Hedman). Add the possibility of Ekman-Larsson joining, and it’s not really a great situation for P.A. He might be forced to start his season with Borås of Allsvenskan (Swe-2) again.
http://prosportsblogging.com/nhl-hoc...ter-andersson/

Backman returning still means he is #7. It doesn't change the fact that he is still taking on a fewer minutes. That's why i posted a few pages back that Backman's injury might be a blessing for PA because he would be getting some better minutes.

Last edited by thefeebster: 09-15-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
KRM

I don't think you should worry to much about Andersson, he's still in the top six, and I can't see him being sent down to Allsvenskan.

Old
09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
I don't think you should worry to much about Andersson, he's still in the top six, and I can't see him being sent down to Allsvenskan.
okay ill take your word for it, he was really solid for them last year and i think it will almost be an insult for him to be sent down after playing so well

Old
09-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Illmatic Stoic

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lo...megadrop_story article on morin from the province by botch

Quote:
PENTICTON, BC — Off the ice, Pierre-Olivier Morin has been feeling nervous and a little alone.

He's without a contract and is the only French-speaking player in the Canucks dressing room. One of those things is about to change.

Without several of their big-named prospects Wednesday — scratches included Jordan Schroeder, Prab Rai and Kevin Connauton — the Canucks were disorganized, undisciplined and mostly dominated by an Anaheim Ducks team in a 4-2 loss.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lo...#ixzz0zfMYrzjh

Last edited by William H Bonney: 09-16-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: don't post full articles
Old
09-16-2010, 01:26 AM
metric

Rawr

Last edited by metric: 09-16-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old
09-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Other Little Mikey

I come in peace.

Is Sauve expected to be well enough to take part in main camp?

Old
09-16-2010, 03:26 AM
metric

No idea, but I would assume so.

Brynas kicks off their season today.

Andreas Dackell – Jonas Nordquist – Eero Somervuori
Jakob Silfverberg – Calle Järnkrok – Anton Rödin
Magnus Kahnberg – Jonathan Granström – Johan Larsson
Sebastian Lauritzen – Mads Hansen – Emil Sandin

Last edited by metric: 09-16-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old
09-16-2010, 07:02 AM
wahoyaho

I miss bourdon

Old
09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
kuparinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
No idea, but I would assume so.

Brynas kicks off their season today.

Andreas Dackell – Jonas Nordquist – Eero Somervuori
Jakob Silfverberg – Calle Järnkrok – Anton Rödin
Magnus Kahnberg – Jonathan Granström – Johan Larsson
Sebastian Lauritzen – Mads Hansen – Emil Sandin
Silfverberg is injured so Rödin will play with Järnkrok and Wännström on the 2nd line today vs MODO.

Old
09-16-2010, 04:08 PM
thefeebster

Looks like nothing much on the Rodin front in a 0-2 loss against Modo.

The blog mentions he got a hooking penalty and got shuffled on the lines a bit with Wannstrom and Granstrom.

Edit: Also didn't see this posted. An article regarding Eddie Lack.

Canucks prospect Eddie Lack aims to fly high as ‘The Stork’

Quote:
The Canucks would like him to get even bigger and add a few more pounds of muscle to his 6-5 frame.

"I'm almost 200 pounds, a little too skinny," Lack says.

Lack spent last season with Brynas of the Swedish Elite League, where he backed up Jacob Markstrom, who is now with the Florida Panthers. In 14 games he had a 2.67 goals-against average and a .911 save percentage. Before that, he played three seasons and posted impressive numbers for Leksands in Sweden's Tier II league.

He has come to North America to chase his NHL dream.

"I have always dreamed of playing in the NHL and I think this is the fastest way up," he says.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz0zj7oEKXM

Last edited by thefeebster: 09-16-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old
09-16-2010, 04:58 PM
DreamCatcher*

I hope Eddie doesn't put on too much weight, it's not really necessary for a goalie to be thick considering they need to be agile and flexible. I think the only thing Eddie needs to do is to hone out his game and get accustomed to 30-40 games.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Looks like nothing much on the Rodin front in a 0-2 loss against Modo.

The blog mentions he got a hooking penalty and got shuffled on the lines a bit with Wannstrom and Granstrom.
Well he played 17 minutes, I don't know if he ever got that kind of ice time last season.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:19 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroshaugFan2 View Post
Well he played 17 minutes, I don't know if he ever got that kind of ice time last season.
Doubt it, we were hearing less than 10min, around 8 last year if i recall.

Edit: Double checked it, 8:25 was his average last season.

Edit #2: Forgot to post a link for Brynas's last game vs Leksands - highlights here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdnW2BSYo8

Last edited by thefeebster: 09-16-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Habstract

What your thoughts on Prab Rai?

I really don't think he's gonna make the team this year, even with a good camp but do you think he has a shot to make the team next year?

Thanks in advance

Old
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Bean in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
What your thoughts on Prab Rai?

I really don't think he's gonna make the team this year, even with a good camp but do you think he has a shot to make the team next year?

Thanks in advance
Nope.

I don't see him on the radar for the team until maybe 3-4 years down the road. Too much talent in our top 6, and too many prospects ahead of him talent wise (schroeder, hodgson, rodin).

Then again, perhaps he sneaks into our bottom 6 in the next 2 years? He's shown glimpses of a solid forecheck and willingness to play a physical boardgame.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
kuparinen

Brynäs lost against Modo, 2-0. Rödin played good, and he played both PK (never seen him done that in SEL) and PP. He played 17:39 minutes, 2nd most of Brynäs' forwards and was voted the best player in Brynäs.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:38 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanlake View Post
Brynäs lost against Modo, 2-0. Rödin played good, and he played both PK (never seen him done that in SEL) and PP. He played 17:39 minutes, 2nd most of Brynäs' forwards and was voted the best player in Brynäs.
Interesting, who votes for best player anyway? The media?

Old
09-16-2010, 06:40 PM
kuparinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Interesting, who votes for best player anyway? The media?
Well, maybe not voted, selected is a better word. Gävle Energi was kind of the main sponsor of the game and after the game they picked player of the game for each team. So I guess they had some representants there to watch the game and they decided the players after. I'm not really sure how it works but at least he got it

Old
09-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Canucks.com is hopelessly out of date.

Lukowich is considered in the system along with a Russian drafted in 2001 who is entering his 12th season in the KHL. Team also has high hopes for "Nolan" who doesn't need a last name he's so famous.

Closed Thread