HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Placebo Effect

vCash: 500
That's 5 points in 3 games for Friesen. Nice.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Andersson is okay, nothing was broken. Probably won't play Saturday though, he'll dress but will be the seventh d-man.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Andersson is okay, nothing was broken. Probably won't play Saturday though, he'll dress but will be the seventh d-man.
Good news, thanks for the update Systemfel!

Old
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Placebo Effect

Video of Rodin's goal against SSK (his first of the season). Nice little drop pass give and go, although it kind of looks like he lost control of the puck but his teammate set him up for the goal.

Old
10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
kuparinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post

Video of Rodin's goal against SSK (his first of the season). Nice little drop pass give and go, although it kind of looks like he lost control of the puck but his teammate set him up for the goal.
He also did a good rush from his own zone before the goal. Took the puck after a face off in the defensive zone, skated over the ice, passed to Clarke, got it back and scored.
At 1:55 in the clip he uses his speed good to drive to the net, creating a scoring chance, and that's one of his strength, skate around the d-man to shoot himself or to make a pass in to the slot.

Old
10-01-2010, 03:24 PM
FacepalmBenning
70¢ ON THE DOLLAR!!!

Expectations on prospects

I have to admit, I am very enthusiastic about our youth in the organization currently. I can remember a dark ages in this organization where it seemed like none of the prospects were worth anything and we had a string of busts. The name Delmore still strikes fear in the heart of Canucks fans. However under Gillis and Nonis we now have a respectable cupboard of youth and potential NHL players at every position in our system. We also have one of the most elite teams in the league with arguably the best offensive. This off-season we also became arguably the most balanced team in the league. With that said I think some of you are expecting too much out of our young players.

I think there's been a lot of fear with our seeing the Oilers prospects up close and personal that we're feeling some sort of prospects gap right now. Let's be honest the Oilers have a couple of phenomenal once in a draft players that they were lucky to draft as a result of being god awful. Our prospects are project players who will need a little extra development time to become the players we hope and expect them to be. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Our team is an elite team that doesn't need young players to fill it's ranks. This team has the luxury of being able to develop it's kids correctly like the elite systems in New Jersey and Detroit because it's talented enough to wait for them. Would you rather our prospects break in struggling in the bottom six to adapt to the professional game? Or would you them come in well rounded players who can handle any situation and don't have any weaknesses in their game?

I just look at the development examples of Parise, Flippula, Brassard, Grabner, Ryan, Eriksson. All of them spent a year in the AHL. All of them benefitted from it and became legit top six players. I personally think Schroeder and Hodgson will develop much better and be better in the long run getting a year playing 20 minutes a night together in the AHL. Plus next year how sick will 2/3rds of a 3rd line featuring that duo be with a year together in the AHL?

I say all this because I've read and talked to some of you individually. I'm seeing some some irrational arguments being made. This also seems to be the big drama right now, so I thought I'd offer my take.

Old
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM
VanEric

I like that we have a team where prospects have to play their way ONTO the team instead of playing their way OFF of the team.

I also like that we can afford to keep Anton Rodin in Sweden for a full year without a second thought.

Old
10-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanlake View Post
He also did a good rush from his own zone before the goal. Took the puck after a face off in the defensive zone, skated over the ice, passed to Clarke, got it back and scored.
At 1:55 in the clip he uses his speed good to drive to the net, creating a scoring chance, and that's one of his strength, skate around the d-man to shoot himself or to make a pass in to the slot.
Thanks for that, had some tunnel vision and only focused on the goal

Old
10-01-2010, 05:45 PM
canucks52

So did we ever find out if rodins contract slides this year or is 1 year wasting?

Old
10-01-2010, 06:29 PM
KRM

Andersson xrayed and cleared to play tomorrow btw.

Old
10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's 5 points in 3 games for Friesen. Nice.
Saw Friesen last night.

Alex is still one of the hardest working forwards in the league. His speed is hard to contain and he's relentless in pursuit of the puck. He and linemate Andrew Agozzino have such good chemistry and the two of them are constantly creating off the rush. Interestingly enough, Alex is one of the only forwards I'd actually trust on the point of the powerplay. He's QB'd the Dogs powerplay for the past year and a bit. Tonight he made a great defensive play as Shawn Szydlowski came flying down the wing on the penalty kill (one on one with Friesen), but Alex angled him off the puck and negated a serious scoring chance. Friesen added a goal and two assists on the powerplay too. All the secondary scoring the Dogs have added is only going to help him have an even better offensive season than last year.

Old
10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
B-rock

Does anyone have a clue if Sauve is still walking among us?

Seems to have dropped off the face of the earth...no news, nothing.

Vancouver reporters have their heads so buried in Hodgson, they forgot that there are other prospects to give us information on.

Old
10-01-2010, 07:21 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Saw Friesen last night.

Alex is still one of the hardest working forwards in the league. His speed is hard to contain and he's relentless in pursuit of the puck. He and linemate Andrew Agozzino have such good chemistry and the two of them are constantly creating off the rush. Interestingly enough, Alex is one of the only forwards I'd actually trust on the point of the powerplay. He's QB'd the Dogs powerplay for the past year and a bit. Tonight he made a great defensive play as Shawn Szydlowski came flying down the wing on the penalty kill (one on one with Friesen), but Alex angled him off the puck and negated a serious scoring chance. Friesen added a goal and two assists on the powerplay too. All the secondary scoring the Dogs have added is only going to help him have an even better offensive season than last year.
Thanks for the update!

Old
10-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

Vancouver reporters have their heads so buried in Hodgson, they forgot that there are other prospects to give us information on.
He's in Manitoba and is/was dealing with PCS. Seems that accident was far worse than originally reported. Then again, with concussions it doesn't necessarily take a lot. It's very concerning for a guy his age to already be out as long as he has with PCS.

Old
10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
IceMelter

Send a message via AIM to IceMelter Send a message via MSN to IceMelter
Quote:

Quote:
The Vancouver Canucks continued to bolster the Manitoba Moose lineup today, sending two more players to their AHL affiliate team.

Winger Sergei Shirokov and rookie defenceman Yann Sauve joined the Moose today. Sauve, though, has not yet been cleared to play after being hit by a car in downtown Vancouver near the start of Canucks training camp.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...104159718.html

Old
10-01-2010, 07:52 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post

I just look at the development examples of Parise, Flippula, Brassard, Grabner, Ryan, Eriksson. All of them spent a year in the AHL. All of them benefitted from it and became legit top six players.
So Grabner's a legit top six player now?

If Tambi was wearing 40 instead of 10 I'd have a tough time telling the difference.

Old
10-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Red

Thanks for the detailed update on Friesen, Brock. Friesen scored his 3rd goal tonight.

Steven Anthony also scored his 3rd and was a +1. No points for Polasek.

Looks like the Moose are playing their first pre-season game against the Heat. Goals are Weller (from Pope and Ramsey), Pope (from Weller), Schroeder (from Baumer and Connauton). 3-2 for the Moose, I think they're still in the 2nd period.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Illmatic Stoic

Me

hey adam good game today
9:49pmAdam

thanks.. and good night
9:49pmMe

good night

surprised he even replied

Old
10-02-2010, 04:52 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMelter View Post
Thanks guys. Good to know..hopefully he can get his brains sorted out in time for the Moose season.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:49 AM
kuparinen

Brynäs changes their lines for today's game. Rödin is moved from the youth line to the 1st line to play with Jonathan Granström and Andreas Dackell.
The game starts in 40 minutes and can be followed here (boxscore)
http://stats.swehockey.se/online/43/...me_default.htm

Old
10-02-2010, 11:01 AM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanlake View Post
Brynäs changes their lines for today's game. Rödin is moved from the youth line to the 1st line to play with Jonathan Granström and Andreas Dackell.
The game starts in 40 minutes and can be followed here (boxscore)
http://stats.swehockey.se/online/43/...me_default.htm
Im curious to see if Granstrom and Dackell can keep up with the youthful legs of Rodin.

Old
10-02-2010, 01:53 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:

That's not where Vancouver reporters have their heads buried

Old
10-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Placebo Effect

Brynas' struggles continue, 6-3 loss. No points for Rodin, 2 shots, 17:06 ice time and a -1

Old
10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:
Brynas' struggles continue, 6-3 loss. No points for Rodin, 2 shots, 17:06 ice time and a -1
its their goaltending, losing both lack and markstrom in the same year must be really tough for them

Old
10-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Red

Friesen with 1A today, +1.

Closed Thread