HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Way To Condition

Old
09-18-2010, 06:29 PM
JayRoadkill

vCash: 500
Best Way To Condition

whats the best way, im satisfied with my shot, hands and even speed, but my endurance is pretty bad, im recoving from knee surgery, but im curious whats better circuit training (short intense stints/breaks) or endurance training (a mile run etc), or should it be a combination of both. Help me out

JayRoadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Jimers

Endurance training is pretty straight forward. It's mainly about expanding lung capacity.

Stationary bike is popular, running is good too. Any cardio activity that you can sustain for 45-60min and gets you breathing at a good pace (but without the need for breaks) is good.

If you're coming off of knee surgery, you probably want something with least knee impact. Swimming is great for that, and is also better balanced, working much more muscle groups than the bike or running.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that to get results you need to do this 5-6 days a week. It's not like strength training where 3-4 days a week is best.

Jimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 07:50 PM
JayRoadkill

Thats for the help, endurance has never been my strongest area. Just do it more regularly now. gotchya

JayRoadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimers View Post

EDIT: Forgot to mention that to get results you need to do this 5-6 days a week. It's not like strength training where 3-4 days a week is best.
That's not true at all. You do not need to run/bike/swim every day to see an improvement. Any good training plan should have adequate off days for rest and recovery.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Jimers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
That's not true at all. You do not need to run/bike/swim every day to see an improvement. Any good training plan should have adequate off days for rest and recovery.
Rest is important for muscles tissue repair with strength training as you're pushing you muscles to their limits, however with endurance training the objective is not to exhaust the muscles-- focus is the cardiovascular.

In my experience, one night is all the rest I need from a 60-minute cardio workout.

Obviously if you push yourself to failure during these workouts, you'll feel it the next day and likely have to take an extra day off, but that's not effective for endurance training. You're better off working at a slower pace for 6 days a week rather than hard for 3.

Jimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Hextall27

I'm just gonna copy and paste a post I wrote in a similar thread:

Doing cardio for over an hour will help if your training for a marathon but in a sport like hockey it will be detrimental because of the hit it will take on your muscle mass. Unless you eat extremely well and treat your body like a temple, running that much will deplete your body of needed energy and muscle mass. Hockey is a great blend of aerobic and anerobic exercise so you need a good balance in your off ice training.

A good training method is to do interval training, it helps with explosiveness, keeps the matabolism up, is quick to do (20 mins MAX) and most importantly wont eat away at your muscle mass.

What I do is simply, run around the block. Ill jog for 4 houses, sprint for 4, jog 3, sprint 4, jog 2 sprint 4 etc. then Ill go back up 3 jog 4 sprint 4 jog 4 sprint....ill do this for about 15-20 mins. I'm 6'1 200lbs and in decent (not great) shape and its SUPER tough for me to build muscle so I dont want to loss what I have.

I try to keep my cardio/HIT training to every other day, as someone else posted You need time to repair. ANY exercise is destroying mucle fiber and the rest between training is what allows these muscles to repair and grow stronger (heart and lungs included).

That being said, if you just want plain old endurance and dont care about losing muscle, or you are a great athlete with muscle definition, a rowing machine is awesome for endurance. With a knee injury I'd stay away from distance running to start but ease into it-running is simple and effective. Or Try the eliptical machine or a stationary bike...Really anything is better than nothing and when you feel pain in the joint, Stop.

Good luck

Hextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My endurance has always been awful, and I cough for 20-30 minutes after games. I got checked out for sports asthma but the inhaler didn't do anything. Either I have COPD at the age of 27 and not being a smoker, or I'm horribly out of shape.

I started doing SimpleFit (simplefit.org) a month ago. It's 100% free, just a website with exercises. It's pullups, pushups, squats. That's it. It's a bodyweight circuit, so it works out your muscles, but because you're doing it fast, your heart REALLY gets going. Mine gets up to 160 bpm.

This weekend, I played three games in 24 hours. No coughing.

To repeat, for five years, I've been playing hockey. Probably 250+ games/ice times. I'm not coughing anymore.

I tried sprints and running but my knee doesn't hold up that well. The squats will help build up some leg and knee strength, and honestly, what are you doing when skating? Bodyweight squats/lunges. Pullups/pushups make you stronger for shooting and pushing guys around.

I'm going to add a core component for lower back and ab strength, maybe situps or planks or something. But right now I'm pretty happy with this progress!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:56 AM
ponder

Doing standard cardio (jogging, biking) won't hurt, but I don't think it helps *TOO* much with hockey either. Those things will get you good at going at a slow pace for a long time, but a hockey game is really different. As Hextall27 suggested, high intensity interval training is good (sprint/jog/sprint/jog/sprint/jog/etc.), or even just tonnes and tonnes of suicides (on or off ice). Not your classic cardio, but I've found that the times when I've had the best hockey endurance have been the times when I've been doing tonnes of suicides.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy1993 View Post
whats the best way, im satisfied with my shot, hands and even speed, but my endurance is pretty bad, im recoving from knee surgery, but im curious whats better circuit training (short intense stints/breaks) or endurance training (a mile run etc), or should it be a combination of both. Help me out
What type of knee surgery?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Badger36

IMO, if you are coming off of knee surgery, cycling is going to be your best bet because it will be more low-impact workout than running.
You can do sprints with cycling just as easily as you can running. IMO, it wont stress your cardiovascular system as much as running will, but its better than nothing.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 04:32 PM
ponder

I totally missed the part about recovering from knee surgery, in that case you should definitely ask your doctor/physio what's best for you! I have weird knees myself, and cycling is actually the one thing I *can't* do, when I cycle too much (on my own bike or a stationary bike) my knees start to feel loose (very weird feeling), but running, hockey, squats, etc. are no problem. Obviously you will likely have totally different dos and don'ts, but with knee surgery don't screw around, you really need to talk to your doc/physio about what you should and shouldn't be doing.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:49 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
IMO, if you are coming off of knee surgery, cycling is going to be your best bet because it will be more low-impact workout than running.
You can do sprints with cycling just as easily as you can running. IMO, it wont stress your cardiovascular system as much as running will, but its better than nothing.

Where do you play? Go Bucky

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote