HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies 2010 - The Rise of Señor Octubre

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Please just use red towels. It's our PRIMARY COLOR anyway.

Will it blend in? A bit, but if you can't see 45,000 red towels waiving in a circle, then you should probably look into contacts.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Jester

I assume red towels would be significantly more expensive to purchase.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It would also be nice if they could finish up the division on home field against the Mets...
General question for everyone -- this is possible, right? They'd have to win 2/3 and have the Braves lose 2/3 against the Nats, correct?

Old
09-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
General question for everyone -- this is possible, right? They'd have to win 2/3 and have the Braves lose 2/3 against the Nats, correct?
Yes... just need to pick up a game in the next series. Barring that, we should be in a position to lock up the WC default position.

Obviously it's all just running the clock at this point, though. Not only are we 6 up on the Braves, we're 6 up on best record in the NL... so, home field isn't really in question at this point either.

Old
09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
And of course a sweep of the Mets would mean the Braves losing only one would do the trick... as would the Braves being swept and the Phillies winning only one.

... What I would love, but is probably asking too much as they try to prepare for the postseason, is a 100 win season... They would have to win 8 of 9... I shouldn't be so damn greedy. haha

Old
09-23-2010, 01:46 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Here's a potentially stupid question. In 2002, the Phillies went 80-81. Also, the Braves went 101-59. Both are less than 162-game seasons. Were there just rainouts that could never be made up, and it wouldn't affect playoff standings so they were ignored? Can't remember what happened.

Old
09-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Yes... just need to pick up a game in the next series. Barring that, we should be in a position to lock up the WC default position.

Obviously it's all just running the clock at this point, though. Not only are we 6 up on the Braves, we're 6 up on best record in the NL... so, home field isn't really in question at this point either.

Best in the Majors is well within their grasp as they are only 1/2 game behind the Yanks and Minny and a game ahead of the Rays... But that lands them absolutely nothing other than bragging rights, and is not worth disrupting their setting up for the postseason.

Old
09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Here's a potentially stupid question. In 2002, the Phillies went 80-81. Also, the Braves went 101-59. Both are less than 162-game seasons. Were there just rainouts that could never be made up, and it wouldn't affect playoff standings so they were ignored? Can't remember what happened.
In the case of the Phillies, it was a makeup game (rainout IIRC) that was not needed as it would not be a factor in any meaningful circumstance.

What it did do was not allow the Phillies to climb to the .500 mark and broke the string of .500 or better seasons... as they have been over IIRC all seasons subsequently... They would at least have two more, as they had been over .500 in 2001.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
flyersguy33*

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local...of_dreams.html

West Chester's field of dreams

Quote:
A group of baseball boosters has visions of a minor-league diamond in an abandoned industrial site in West Chester.

The Turks Head Stadium Alliance on Tuesday described some details of its proposed stadium, before key parts of the estimated $40 million plan were officially in place. The group was nudged to go public when State Sen. Andrew E. Dinniman (D., Chester) added a $20 million request for a matching grant to the state's pending capital budget last week.

Many significant obstacles remain before the sounds of cracking bats could fill the 32-acre site in the southeastern part of the borough.

One is a commitment from a Class A team to play there. The organizers hope they can lure a Phillies team, said Howie Bedell, a former Phillies player who has set up stadiums across the country. "Interest has been demonstrated," he said.

Bonnie Clark, a Phillies spokeswoman, said that Phillies president David Montgomery had met with the West Chester group, but that no promises had been made about placing one of the Phillies' minor-league teams there.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local...#ixzz10NhlaMeU
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Would be pretty awesome if they could get the Phillies single A team to play there

Old
09-23-2010, 03:21 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Please just use red towels. It's our PRIMARY COLOR anyway.

Will it blend in? A bit, but if you can't see 45,000 red towels waiving in a circle, then you should probably look into contacts.
That won't help everyone

Anyway, why not half red and half blue (preferably the powder blue)?

Old
09-23-2010, 03:22 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local...of_dreams.html

West Chester's field of dreams

Would be pretty awesome if they could get the Phillies single A team to play there
They already have one in NJ. Seems unrealistic to me that they'd move that one or the one in Clearwater. They might be able to get the short season team moved there, though.

Old
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Hollywood Couturier

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/sp...rssnyt&emc=rss

Quote:
Five years ago, Mike Sweeney took a seat in his home theater in California to watch Game 3 of the World Series between the Chicago White Sox and the Houston Astros.

His childhood friend Geoff Blum was a reserve infielder for the White Sox. When they were Little Leaguers, Blum and Sweeney won a tournament in Montclair, Calif., with Sweeney pitching the final game. Blum’s father brought apple cider for the boys to pour on each other in celebration.
Nice article about Sweeney's long awaited playoff birth.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
09-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
They already have one in NJ. Seems unrealistic to me that they'd move that one or the one in Clearwater. They might be able to get the short season team moved there, though.
There is a short season team in New York that is being considered. No chance of Clearwater moving and the NJ team isn't going anywhere either. I think they just signed a lease or something.

West Chester wants to continue to get hyped as a great town (which it is) and building a stadium will do that. More concerts, events, etc. There is a ton of money in West Chester and the property values are really high right now considering the economy. The town really wants to position itself as the best place to live in the Philly area.

Old
09-24-2010, 06:48 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

I also hate the white "rally towels" because of their historic background.

White towels were first used at sporting events in Spain during the infamous corridas. The crowd would wave them to express their displeasure when the event wasn't living up to their expectations.

So, you can't use white towels to root for your team as they actually mean the complete opposite.

Old
09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
I also hate the white "rally towels" because of their historic background.

White towels were first used at sporting events in Spain during the infamous corridas. The crowd would wave them to express their displeasure when the event wasn't living up to their expectations.

So, you can't use white towels to root for your team as they actually mean the complete opposite.
...it's a white towel man. I'm all about the history, but to say THAT is the history of the white towel is a bit much.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:54 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
...it's a white towel man. I'm all about the history, but to say THAT is the history of the white towel is a bit much.
Well, what I tried to say is not that I have a problem with the white towels because it was first used at corridas but that its usage at sporting events is originally meant to be equal to booing. That's the historical part I don't like.

And it's not like the Phils have their own little history with white towels like the Canucks have with their Towel Power.

Outside of sports a white flag/towel is a sign for surrender, another message the Phils clearly aren't trying to send.

Another reason, why I don't like the towels is because it's a stupid trend just like all those black uniforms. Red Bull for example bought a tradition-rich soccer club of Austria, renamed it, changed the colors to Red Bull colors and turned the club into a soulless collection of high-paid and under-performing mercenaries making them the New York Yankees/Dallas Cowboys of Austrian soccer. How did the new ownership react when disgruntled hardcore fans (those responsible for the noise at games) turned away from the team? They handed out white towels at home games to cheer for the team.

That the towels disadvantage the home-team when fielding players have difficulties seeing the ball pretty much closes my case.

Handing out red towels would be much more fitting in many ways, but as pointed out the costs would likely be much higher.

So, personally I can't stand the sight of a sea of white towels at Citizens Bank Park.

Objectively I agree with you, it's just a towel, but used in a very stupid way.

Old
09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Well, what I tried to say is not that I have a problem with the white towels because it was first used at corridas but that its usage at sporting events is originally meant to be equal to booing. That's the historical part I don't like.

And it's not like the Phils have their own little history with white towels like the Canucks have with their Towel Power.

Outside of sports a white flag/towel is a sign for surrender, another message the Phils clearly aren't trying to send.

Another reason, why I don't like the towels is because it's a stupid trend just like all those black uniforms. Red Bull for example bought a tradition-rich soccer club of Austria, renamed it, changed the colors to Red Bull colors and turned the club into a soulless collection of high-paid and under-performing mercenaries making them the New York Yankees/Dallas Cowboys of Austrian soccer. How did the new ownership react when disgruntled hardcore fans (those responsible for the noise at games) turned away from the team? They handed out white towels at home games to cheer for the team.

That the towels disadvantage the home-team when fielding players have difficulties seeing the ball pretty much closes my case.

Handing out red towels would be much more fitting in many ways, but as pointed out the costs would likely be much higher.

So, personally I can't stand the sight of a sea of white towels at Citizens Bank Park.

Objectively I agree with you, it's just a towel, but used in a very stupid way.
To me the bottom line on any reasoning to discard the white towel waiving is the fact that it may disrupt the view of the fielders and affords them less than the optimal chance to play the ball... Any other story of past uses of white towels is of no matter to me, as in this case it is what it is and that is all that it is -- to paraphrase Popeye -- I seriously doubt that one fan thinks about any of those stories or instances of white towel use when watching them waived to cheer on the Phillies.

Traditions are made, and the source of the traditions are soon forgotten as the tradition itself is what is of importance -- does anyone realize that the 'Ber-nie, Ber-nie' chant was a total rip off of the 'Ed-dy, Ed-dy' chant that the Rangers fans used for Giacomin? ... or the Orange Tees at Flyers games ripped off the Whiteouts originated in Winnipeg? -- The white towels are a show of unity and support for the Phllies and provide much enjoyment for the fans attending.

All that said, if it is explained about their use when the Phllies are playing the field, there should be total understanding and the fans should go along with the wishes of the players... some fans anyway, as there will always be the Bartman type idiots who have their heads up their *****.

The players' concerns should be enough and the history lessons are not required, nor IMO pertinent.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 09-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old
09-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
I assume red towels would be significantly more expensive to purchase.
True, and I always thought that was the reason they use white, but the Steelers use yellow. I doubt ordering red towels would break the bank, especially if the players are complaining about not being able to see the ball.

Old
09-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
True, and I always thought that was the reason they use white, but the Steelers use yellow. I doubt ordering red towels would break the bank, especially if the players are complaining about not being able to see the ball.
Well, then you get back to the fact that Phils owners are kinda cheap... this has been forgotten in recent years, but they haven't changed.

Old
09-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
If they are like the Flyers towels and orange tees they are greatly subsidized by multiple sponsors -- looking at the number of them on the back of most tees handed out, I could even see a net profit made if there is a set charge per sponsor, and a bulk rate on the item... but I have no details -- With that in mind, I wouldn't think that the Phillies would lose anything on white towels... Now, factor in the added cost of colors, I could see either a smaller profit on the sponsorship or maybe an outlay... No doubt white is a better way to go, if not for the sight concerns voiced by the fielders.

That said, maybe that will be considered in the future... With three games left in the home-stand there isn't much time for the regular season. There is time though if they intend to have towel giveaways in the postseason.

Old
09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Coming from the article posted earlier.

Quote:
Clark said the Phillies attempted to use red rally towels years ago, but they were scrapped because they were hard to see with so many fans dressed in Phillies red.
There is why they don't do red anymore...

Old
09-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Well, then you get back to the fact that Phils owners are kinda cheap... this has been forgotten in recent years, but they haven't changed.
Cheap but smart... They have learned that spending money at times earns more money. They found out that spending money on a new fan-friendly ballpark will bring in money... They also found out that fielding a good team in a ballpark that allows fans to spend bucks is good for business. Keeping the fans happy is netting them a windfall.

I believe that they have learned that cost cutting that lessens the product on the field, and cost cutting that takes away the feeling that the ballpark is the place to be for the young and old alike who have entertainment dollars to spend is not the way to go... Winning and making money go in in hand; take away one side of the equation and the other goes away,

I believe that they learned that making money doesn't work if you are cheap... Making money happens when they invest their money wisely... Money makes money.

Old
09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Coming from the article posted earlier.

There is why they don't do red anymore...
Only goes to say that if the red is hard to see with red background, white is hard to see on a white background... Last I knew a baseball is white.

Old
09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Garbage Goal

The Mets don't have one .300 hitter in the lineup tonight. lol. Their best is Pagan at .291.

Old
09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
The Mets don't have one .300 hitter in the lineup tonight. lol. Their best is Pagan at .291.
Problem is their knuckleballer tonight gives the Phillies' lineup fits.

EDIT: Three batters in, and the Phillies are making a liar of me already. haha

EDIT2: They had base-runners and made him throw some pitches... but only one run on a HR... three other reached base though (a DP mixed in)... So they may have some luck. Hope he doesn't get them off their rhythm long-range with his junk pitches.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 09-24-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Closed Thread