HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp Begins for Blueshirt Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2004, 11:13 AM
NYR469

vCash: 500

Quote:
The Rangers welcomed 13 Blueshirt hopefuls to the Madison Square Garden Training Center this morning as the club will hold hold a three-day Development Camp from June 2 to June 4.

Each morning, Rangers Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Reg Grant will put the players through various off-ice drills in the fitness room at the MSG Training Center that focus on strength, balance, quickness and agility.

Quote:
DEVELOPMENT CAMP ROSTER:
Joseph Crabb - RW / Colorado College
Lee Falardeau - C / Michigan State University
Rob Flynn - RW / Harvard University
Dwight Helminen - F / University of Michigan
Chris Holt - G / University of Nebraska-Omaha
Hugh Jessiman - RW / Dartmouth College
Rick Kozak - RW / Kamloops (WHL)
David Liffiton - D / Plymouth (OHL)
Greg Moore - F / University of Maine
Corey Potter - D / Michigan State University
Dylan Reese - D / Harvard University
Ken Roche - C / Boston University
Jake Taylor - D / University of Minnesota

Old
06-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Barnaby

I know Jessiman can't play in training camp because he's still a part of the college team - is it the same with the development camp? Does this mean he's going pro?

Old
06-02-2004, 11:45 AM
pld459666

If I'm not mistaken

Jessiman has to pay his own way to whereever the Rangers hold their mini-camp in order to retain his college eligability.

He can't compete in any AHL or NHL sanctioned game, and there may even be some restrictions on what he can and can't do while at this Developement Camp, but as long as he pays his own way he can attend.

Old
06-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Barnaby

Anybody know if the Rangers will have the draft show again? With all of their picks, I would think they would - assuming they had decent numbers last time around.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:07 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I know Jessiman can't play in training camp because he's still a part of the college team - is it the same with the development camp? Does this mean he's going pro?
11 of the 13 players are college players and with the exception of possibly jessiman & helminen, they will all be returning to school. so these doesn't effect their eligibility in any way...i think they just have to pay their own way...

jessiman might turn pro, but this has nothing to do with that

Old
06-02-2004, 12:13 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
11 of the 13 players are college players and with the exception of possibly jessiman & helminen, they will all be returning to school. so these doesn't effect their eligibility in any way...i think they just have to pay their own way...

jessiman might turn pro, but this has nothing to do with that
I think unless Dartmouth recruits some better hockey players and a better coach, Jessimen will turn pro, you can just see in all his interviews and such he's itching to be a ranger, in fact he said he'd be at their training center all summer

Old
06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
JR#9*

Jessiman had better make the jump because he won't improve at that level and in that league.He need better coaches and better competion as well as linemates to take his game to the next level.

Old
06-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Barnaby

I really wanted him to stay at college, because I don't want the Rangers to rush him, but I don't know if he will really improve at that level. He'd probably be better off spending 2 years in Hartford, with the occasional call-up when he plays well just to keep him hungry. If the Rangers believe that he can be successful at Hartford then you have to make the move. I don't see him improving much with three players hanging on his back in college. Just send him to the Pack on the 2nd or 3rd line, and make it clear that he's not the go-to-guy . Just let him play hard, and develop with as little pressure as possible.

Old
06-02-2004, 01:26 PM
in the hall

to keep amatuer status (stay within NCAA elligability) i don't know the exact wording but you can not be awarded money for your athletics

Old
06-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Fletch

Jessiman needs to stay in school...

last season was a season of adjustment. His numbers were down compared to a year before and we offered up 'excuses' which likely are valid, but he needs to improve at this level, I believe, before being rushed into the next level. The guy should be dominating in college and just is not (on the scoreboard).

Old
06-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
DEVELOPMENT CAMP ROSTER:
Joseph Crabb - RW / Colorado College
Lee Falardeau - C / Michigan State University
Rob Flynn - RW / Harvard University
Dwight Helminen - F / University of Michigan
Chris Holt - G / University of Nebraska-Omaha
Hugh Jessiman - RW / Dartmouth College
Rick Kozak - RW / Kamloops (WHL)
David Liffiton - D / Plymouth (OHL)
Greg Moore - F / University of Maine
Corey Potter - D / Michigan State University
Dylan Reese - D / Harvard University
Ken Roche - C / Boston University
Jake Taylor - D / University of Minnesota
I am curious why the other prospects weren't invited? Baranka, Jonasen, Guenin, Dawes, etc.?

Old
06-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Jessiman had better make the jump because he won't improve at that level and in that league.He need better coaches and better competion as well as linemates to take his game to the next level.
Did it hurt Nieuwendyk, Conroy, Cole, Halpern, Marchant, Oates, LeClair, or St, Louis?

Ecac is not a bad league, thats a Myth.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:23 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Did it hurt Nieuwendyk, Conroy, Cole, Halpern, Marchant, Oates, LeClair, or St, Louis?

Ecac is not a bad league, thats a Myth.
So you think his development would be better served by another yr at Dartmoth????

Not bashing the league as one of my coworkers just graduated the ECAC and he was centered by Chris Higgins so I hear the stories and the quality of play down there all the time(he was very high on Moore but thinks Jessiman is a bit overhyped but that he did have great upside) but things like this should be viewed on a case by case scenario and I don't think anyone thinks Hugh would benifit or develop any better with another yr down there.

Last edited by JR#9*: 06-02-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old
06-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I am curious why the other prospects weren't invited? Baranka, Jonasen, Guenin, Dawes, etc.?
Guenin finished his season injured so he may not be ready, as for the others...well maybe they had conflict or the team didn't feel this mini-camp would be any benefit over what goes on in the Calgary camp later in the year.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
So you think his development would be better served by another yr at Dartmoth????

Not bashing the league as one of my coworkers just graduated the ECAC and he was centered by Chris Higgins so I hear the stories and the quality of play down there all the time(he was very high on Moore but thinks Jessiman is a bit overhyped but that he did have great upside) but things like this should be viewed on a case by case scenario and I don't think anyone thinks Hugh would benifit or develop any better with another yr down there.
I think one more year wouldn't hurt, though at this point it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Fletch

I agree, Bluenote...

of course I'd love to see him in Hartford because it's that much closer the the NHL, but I would rather see him have a bounce-back year in college and dominate the league, hone his skills a bit more and get his all-around game together more. Then, at 21, perhaps he'll be ready for the AHL, and maybe even the NHL, who knows. That said, having him in Hartford may not hurt him ultimately, but I think as a natural progression at this point, and for confidence purposes, college is better.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:48 PM
True Blue

My lot is thrown in with those who think that another year of college would help Hugh. I think that he needs another year of college and then at the very least, a full year with Hartford. Maybe even 2. He's no less than 4-5 years away from making any kind of impact with the big team (provided that he progresses).
As Fletch said, all of us (myself included) said that his production being down was due to him becoming the focus of all other teams' attention for the first time in his life. There's just no need to rush this kid. He was Sather's top pick in one of the deepest drafts in history. A top 10 pick at that. Jackass cannot afford to rush this one. He cannot afford for Jessiman to be an outright bust. Let him continueto develop for another year in college. In the likelihood of a lockout, Hartford is going to be packed anyway.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Larry Melnyk

I think Dartmouth is exactly where Jessiman should be this coming year..Yeah, it would be better if he was playing for Mich or Mich State, but the ECAC ain't chopped liver and the competition keeps getting better......Also, Jessiman needs to prove he is The Man and can thrive when he is the target of the other team on a constant basis...Besides Stepinak, there ain't much else at Dartmouth, and a bigger year from Hugh will mean and proove alot....And the next year he can show it in Hartford..And the year after, maybe in NY....Also with the Lock-out coming, there are going to be too many candidates for Hartford and having Jessiman stay in college eases a log jam....

Old
06-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
My lot is thrown in with those who think that another year of college would help Hugh. I think that he needs another year of college and then at the very least, a full year with Hartford. Maybe even 2. He's no less than 4-5 years away from making any kind of impact with the big team (provided that he progresses).
As Fletch said, all of us (myself included) said that his production being down was due to him becoming the focus of all other teams' attention for the first time in his life. There's just no need to rush this kid. He was Sather's top pick in one of the deepest drafts in history. A top 10 pick at that. Jackass cannot afford to rush this one. He cannot afford for Jessiman to be an outright bust. Let him continueto develop for another year in college. In the likelihood of a lockout, Hartford is going to be packed anyway.

How do you know he is 4 or 5 years away from making any impact? And he was not a top 10 pick. And IMO, he is more likely to be a bust the longer he stays in Dartmouth.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
How do you know he is 4 or 5 years away from making any impact? And he was not a top 10 pick. And IMO, he is more likely to be a bust the longer he stays in Dartmouth.
I'm not going to claim to know how much time he needs but I'd say at least three years until he can really help out... at least 2 but probably 3 years to really develop.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Fletch

Prucha...

you gotta explain the 'bust' logic in regards to Jessiman and staying at Dartmouth longer. If you can say that, I guess one can say that rushing to the AHL/NHL can do the same thing, no?

Old
06-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Dartmouth should have a pretty good team next season, would've been good for Hugh to become a leader on that squad, now he'll have to be the 'freshman' again on Hartford.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:39 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Ok, sorry. Not a top 10 pick, but a #12. Still, in what was one of the deepest drafts in NHL history, Sather cannot afford for Jessiman to be a bust, IMO.
Now, on to development time. It is well known that power forwards take longer to develop than other players. Look at Doan. Only now is he finally showing something. And he is what, 25, 26? Look how long it took for Billy Guerin to develop. How long it took for Bertuzzi to develop. Power forwards take a longer time than other NHL prospects.
Hugh had a monstrous freshman year in Dartmouth. Last year, his production took a hit as he became the primary focus of other teams. We (most of us here) gave him a pass and wrote it off as just that....a young kid whose production slipped when he became double & triple teamed on a nightly basis. So, IMO, he needs to stay in college and prove that he can adapt to that type of play. He needs to be able to overcome what the opposing teams throw at him. So that is one year. Then, he needs at least one full year at the AHL level. Probably even 2 (still going on the theory that power forwards need more development time). That's 3 years. Now let's add on to that the fact that most players do not have an immediate BIG impact when they first enter the NHL. The usually require a little bit of time for growth. That makes it 4 years. Again, add on to that the fact that power forwards take more time to develop, and that takes us to 5 years.
At best, he can make an impact in 3 years. That's , if EVERYTHING breaks his way. Likely more than 3. So that takes him to 4-5 years.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
last season was a season of adjustment. His numbers were down compared to a year before and we offered up 'excuses' which likely are valid, but he needs to improve at this level, I believe, before being rushed into the next level. The guy should be dominating in college and just is not (on the scoreboard).
But in the NHL, Jessiman won't have 2 or 3 guys on him like a fat kid on cake, now will he?

Old
06-02-2004, 03:58 PM
rnyquist

Also if McGill stays in Hartford, for whatever reason, what better way to get Hugh adjusted to being in the rangers sytem then McGill? While, i'm no ECAC guru, i do question Dartmouth's hockey program if they have such a crappy team and are willing to let star playing like Hugh come to camp out of shape. If this was Mich or any other team Hugh would be expected to do much more and thats my problem, i just don't think Dartmouth's program is good enough to make any improvement on his game other than being covered by 2 or 3 men, something that he'd get in Hartford anyways, but with an actual good coach and good teammates

Closed Thread