HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamrlik & Spacek -- Two Czechs One Problem

Old
09-14-2010, 03:15 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Hamrlik & Spacek -- Two Czechs One Problem

Spacek : 36 years old
Hamrlik : 36 years old

Let's face it, in a few years these guys will be playing charity hockey.

Both played a lot of hockey last year due to injuries and of course the playoff run. Hamrlik especially looked noticeably slower than in previous years -- and it especially showed in the playoffs.

They are most likely going to regress in terms of performance and health.

Now I said " Most likely ".

Sure they can actually have better seasons or play the same as last year ... but we all know that at a certain point (especially past 35) the performance and game of a hockey player tends to decline (on average) a little bit with each passing year. What that means is that if Odds maker would make a bet on these two -- the line favourite would be Regression

Will they be the Achilles heal next year?

We also have Markov with questionable health. Gill misses a lot of games on average.

Gorges and PK may very well rise to the occasion but how much weight can we put on the shoulders of a player with zero offensive production and a rookie?

If the odds end up falling as predicted we are in for a change in guard on the D this year ... a bit too early for my liking.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Flambergius

Agreed. Risk of injury bug hitting us badly is indeed pretty high, especially in the defense where our depth is just average. Even in a relatively good case the added contribution from Subban is probably going to be "consumed" by that. It would really help if O'Byrne was able to step up his game. It wouldn't actually require that much more for him to be a solid third pairing guy that's able to occasionally fill in in the second pairing.

On the other hand, I don't mind couple of young guys further down the depth chart getting their chance this year with the big club. We should have the quality and depth overall to handle our fair share of injuries during the regular season. Come trade deadline, if defensive depth still looks like a problem, well, you make a move.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:03 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

it might help spacek help us if we play him on his proper side.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:13 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Great thread.

Eller and Subban may never pan out.

Mayer may end up our starter.

Cammalleri may score 50.

See where I'm getting? Let's wait a few games before these...

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Great thread.

Eller and Subban may never pan out.

Mayer may end up our starter.

Cammalleri may score 50.

See where I'm getting? Let's wait a few games before these...
I disagree.

We need as many threads filled with 'maybe, maybe not' 's in them.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:06 AM
CGG

Lidstrom and Niedermayer are great recent examples of defensemen who still did well at 36+. Lidstrom is still playing at 40. There was a lot of whining when we didn't pick up Pronger, the Flyers are stuck with him for another 7 years and he is now 35. No need for panic. Let's see how they do. A healthy Markov and a contributing Subban will keep the ice time down for the two Czechs.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:13 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Hammer and spacek are fine. I don't believe they will be traded or anything. They are 3 & 4D's. In an ideal they would be 4 & 5's but as long as o'byrne/carle/weber/Picard can step up and play 10 to 12 min for 25/30 games this season and not hurt the team too much we will be fine!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:15 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Lidstrom and Niedermayer are great recent examples of defensemen who still did well at 36+. Lidstrom is still playing at 40. There was a lot of whining when we didn't pick up Pronger, the Flyers are stuck with him for another 7 years and he is now 35. No need for panic. Let's see how they do. A healthy Markov and a contributing Subban will keep the ice time down for the two Czechs.
FYI you are talking about 1st ballot hall of famers. In any case, I agree

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Minus the virus, Spacek was fine at the end of the season and in the POs. With Subban too, there will be a lot less expected of him offensively, so I think his ice time will go down. Hammer I am worried about, but I believe we have the depth to be ready for injuries.

Obyrne is very close to being a reliable 3rd pairing guy. Carle I thought was very good for us in his two game stint last season. Picard... eh, he's a last minute resort, but he can make things happen offensively.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:26 AM
AntonCH

This is thread worthy?
If it wasn't for Hamrlik stepping it up at the beginning of the season last year, where would the canadiens be?
The guy was gassed by the end of the season and it showed in the playoffs.
But some around here are making him out to be a pariah, which of course he is not.
Now with the emergence of Subban, who would you pair with him?
The natural choice is Hamrlik.

NHL 11 is waiting for ya

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

Both played a lot of hockey last year due to injuries and of course the playoff run. Hamrlik especially looked noticeably slower than in previous years -- and it especially showed in the playoffs.

Sure they can actually have better seasons or play the same as last year ... but we all know that at a certain point (especially past 35) the performance and game of a hockey player tends to decline (on average) a little bit with each passing year. What that means is that if Odds maker would make a bet on these two -- the line favourite would be Regression

We also have Markov with questionable health. Gill misses a lot of games on average.

Gorges and PK may very well rise to the occasion but how much weight can we put on the shoulders of a player with zero offensive production and a rookie?

If the odds end up falling as predicted we are in for a change in guard on the D this year ... a bit too early for my liking.
I've been ringing that bell for more than 6 months now. The rest is just the usual glass half empty pessimistic redundance.

Highly trained athletes just don't go flat. They either don't find the fire in themselves, or find it too painful to follow night in night out. They usually tend to go away by their own volition when they feel they can't keep it up anymore. If they're here at camp, this means they are both ready, fully knowing and willing, to give it what it takes and feel they still have the physical fitness needed to do this. The impact of aging is not the same for every individual, and 36 nowadays in pro hockey isn't that old.

Hammer is UFA next July and Spacek in 22 months from now.The UFA market is pretty stacked this coming July for defensemen, so I'm not too worried. Pretty sure one of them will be interested in playing alongside PK. And the money will be there to take. So where's the problem if we have to change them for other players, our top 2 is already filled anyway, so it's not like we're Tampa after trading Boyle and having no true #1 D?

Considering this logic, it's actually the opposite of your conclusion, as this change couldn't come at a better time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambergius View Post
Agreed. Risk of injury bug hitting us badly is indeed pretty high, especially in the defense where our depth is just average. Even in a relatively good case the added contribution from Subban is probably going to be "consumed" by that. It would really help if O'Byrne was able to step up his game. It wouldn't actually require that much more for him to be a solid third pairing guy that's able to occasionally fill in in the second pairing.

On the other hand, I don't mind couple of young guys further down the depth chart getting their chance this year with the big club. We should have the quality and depth overall to handle our fair share of injuries during the regular season. Come trade deadline, if defensive depth still looks like a problem, well, you make a move.
As high as any other team. Markov's 35 games missed were a freak injury. And we have more depth on D than most teams. I found the comment to be very offbase. Have you actually taken a look at other team's Ds? It's actually the reason we made it to the playoffs despite missing Markov for almost half the season, and that was without the addition of Subban. Carle and Weber are just bound to make the jump too. And we have Picard as an added spare wheel. We've never had this much depth on D since the early 90s. Montreal's top 6 on D is extremely underrated.

If both Markov and Subban are healthy, Spacek's and Hammer's workload is highly decreased compared to last year. Additionally, both former will likely each be paired up with one of the latter, giving them strong support on their individual pairings. Anyone of the 4 gets injured, you have Gorges who can play solid D on the top 4. Even if Markov goes down, this time around, we'll have Subban, and something tells me PK might be very durable too. So short of having both Markov and Subban injured at the same time, our D will likely be better than last year.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 09-14-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

As long as Markov is healthy for 70-75 games, I don't think this will be an issue. I think last year with him missing 40 games(and without Subban) they were overplayed in the first half and it showed in the 2nd half and playoffs at times.

I think with O'byrne around, it might not be a bad idea to spot him for one of those guys when they get a bit banged up. It keeps them fresh and keeps him in the lineup more.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
WestIslander

I think that Hamrlik and Spacek are more of a burden to this team than an asset, because of the following:

1) Their combined salaries are $9,330,000.00
2) They are both 36 years old and are getting slower
3) They are both the same type of defenseman

This season is Hamrlik's last season and hopefully Spacek can be traded during the season (even if we have to take on the same salary to do it).

Next year's interesting UFA defenseman are: Chara, Kaberle, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Huskins, Montador and Eminger

I would love to see:

Markov - Bieksa
Ehrhoff - Subban
O'Byrne - Gorges

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:

In all honesty, after seeing how these 2 players stepped up and lead the Habs defence last year for the first half of the season while Markov was out and we battled injury, I am not one bit worried about them!!

Hamrlik's foot speed may slow down a slight bit, but he is still a great defencemen and Spacek is playing on his off-side so any mistakes he made last year can be partially blamed on adjustment. If we can stay healthy this season and not have to use Hammer and Spatch for 25+ minutes a game, they will be just fine. They need to play less minutes and they will be effective.

After this season is over, I would have no problem bringing 1 of these guys back to play in my bottom 3 defencemen at a reduced salary of course.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:16 AM
alexstream

Quote:

They are at a crossroad obv.
but the most expensive of the 2 (Hamr) is in his last year.
the other one who relies less on physical attribute btw (Spacek) and could be guessed to have a longer carreer, has only 1 year left after this one at a lesser price than Hamr.
Seeing it that way, it's not a problem. Next season, we have 5.5M to spend on the free market.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:19 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
In all honesty, after seeing how these 2 players stepped up and lead the Habs defence last year for the first half of the season while Markov was out and we battled injury, I am not one bit worried about them!!

Hamrlik's foot speed may slow down a slight bit, but he is still a great defencemen and Spacek is playing on his off-side so any mistakes he made last year can be partially blamed on adjustment. If we can stay healthy this season and not have to use Hammer and Spatch for 25+ minutes a game, they will be just fine. They need to play less minutes and they will be effective.

After this season is over, I would have no problem bringing 1 of these guys back to play in my bottom 3 defencemen at a reduced salary of course.
IF we can really give them 3rd and 4th line icetime for most of the season (instead of 1st and 2nd) they will definitely kick *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I think that Hamrlik and Spacek are more of a burden to this team than an asset, because of the following:

This season is Hamrlik's last season and hopefully Spacek can be traded during the season (even if we have to take on the same salary to do it).

Next year's interesting UFA defenseman are: Chara, Kaberle, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Huskins, Montador and Eminger

I would love to see:

Markov - Bieksa
Ehrhoff - Subban
O'Byrne - Gorges
salary wise, they are a two headed burden of 9,3M
but right now, I don't see anyone for whom we can trade or any dman who can replace them as effectively.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:25 AM
zzoo

At best, Spacek and Harmlik may be slightly better than last year. However, due to aging, the chance that they get worse is bigger.
I'd be happy if Harmlik is traded away, then saving $5.5M.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:30 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
salary wise, they are a two headed burden of 9,3M
but right now,[B] I don't see anyone for whom we can trade or any dman who can replace them as effectively.
Subban, Picard, O'Byrne, Carle and Weber

Right now we can play with:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
O'Byrne - Picard

No?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:32 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:

I would love to see:

Markov - Bieksa
Ehrhoff - Subban
O'Byrne - Gorges
I wonder how much the Molson's agree with your assessment. The two "burdens" you speak of contributed greatly to this team making the playoffs last year. So I'm just wondering if the Molson's think that 9.33 mil is money well spent. Hamrlik stumbled against Washington but I have to say both "burdens" contributed to beating Pittsburgh as well. Generally speaking I believe the more games played in the playoffs translates into more income for the organization.

It seems though that a large part of the fanbase is hellbent on badgering these two especially Hamrlik who has one year left on a contract that to date he pretty much has honored. Markov being off of the ice has been more of a burden than these two being on the ice.

Having said that I think the OP makes a reasonable point but I'd rather worry about if it truly becomes a problem. It's ironic you speak of a couple of guys being a problem when about all they did last year was compensate for younger (Markov, O'Byrne, Mara, Bergeron, Gill) guys getting injured and younger prospects who just were not ready to play in the NHL. Maybe that's the real problem here.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
At best, Spacek and Harmlik may be slightly better than last year. However, due to aging, the chance that they get worse is bigger.
Why are you so worried about "saving" 5.5 mil? Are you the one paying?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:38 AM
gusfring

Quote:

I would love to see:

Markov - Bieksa
Ehrhoff - Subban
O'Byrne - Gorges
Totally agree but you can't say anything negative about Hamrlik here - he's an All Star...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why are you so worried about "saving" 5.5 mil? Are you the one paying?
Salary cap.
$5.5M can be saved and invested elsewhere. For example, if we have $5.5M in cap space, I think that Habs can sign a good UFA this summer.

Would you be worried if Halpern or Boyd is signed for $4M/year ?

Btw, I'm not "so" worried.... I said that I'd be happy if ...

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
neofury*

It's the summer and there's little content to be had, I just don't see the point of a habs forum mod bashing a thread on a subject that is actually discussable. To those of you who don't want to discuss it fair enough but do you really have to make such a big deal out of it?

Not trying to call you out Natey, personally I have no qualms with you and I actually really like the group of mods we've got going on now in the habs forum. But do you really have to do that? I'm sure if you made a discussion and somebody posted a post like that you'd think the same thing, don't like it don't post here.

Anyways onto the discussion. I think the OP makes a valid point. We have good D this year but injuries or even players regressing could be a factor with those two. Also injuries could become a problem elsewhere causing them to have to eat up a ton of minutes.

I also agree with what another poster said, it would probably help a lot if we put Spacek on his proper D, I personally think he has more left than Hammer he just is being misused.

I mean as a habs fan, in terms of injuries lately you really can hope for the best but it just doesn't seem like hoping for the best has worked as of late.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
He's an expiring. Unless we're getting a better player via trade that we need to clear cap space for, what's the point?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:13 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
They are at a crossroad obv.
but the most expensive of the 2 (Hamr) is in his last year.
the other one who relies less on physical attribute btw (Spacek) and could be guessed to have a longer carreer, has only 1 year left after this one at a lesser price than Hamr.
Seeing it that way, it's not a problem. Next season, we have 5.5M to spend on the free market.
We actually have more then that.

Hall Gill is also coming off the books so thats another 2.2 million & looking at the UFA Market next year I'm hoping we can find a way to drop Spacek and Maybe find another way to shed some salary lets say sign Markov for 8 years with a Cap hit of 4 Million a year.

Gill+Spacek+Hamerlik+Markov signed to a long term contract could save us about 12-13 Million.

If we can then bring up Webber or Carle on D to fill a spot, O'byrne should be ready and we could sign a good D.

Here are some interesting D UFA's next year, their ages and their salaries ( got this from the site http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/tag/...l-free-agents/)

Zdeno Chara Boston Bruins 33 $7,500,000
Scott Hannan Colorado Avalanche 31 $4,500,000 (dont know much about him)
Tomas Kaberle Toronto Maple Leafs 32 $4,250,000
Joni Pitkanen Carolina Hurricanes 26 $4,000,000
Kevin Bieksa Vancouver Canucks 29 $3,750,000
Chris Phillips Ottawa Senators 32 $3,500,000
Tom Poti Washington Capitals 33 $3,500,000
Christian Ehrhoff Vancouver Canucks 27 $3,100,000
Etc.

There are also some very interesting UFA forwards that could still be around come July 1st like Thornton, Richards, Backstrom, Semin etc.

In my opinion adding a guy like Richards at a more reasonable Contract and either Kaberle, Chara or Bieksa could make us a VERY good team. Should be interesting how things unfold this year and I honestly just can't wait for the puck to drop

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote