HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamrlik & Spacek -- Two Czechs One Problem

Old
09-15-2010, 06:17 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Something else that should help this team overall is the scheduling this year. If Markov was gonna pick a year to be out the first half, last year was about the worst year he could've picked. The Habs played more games in the first half than the second half because of the compressed schedule to accommodate the Olympics.

Hamrlik was the only d-man playing 23 - 30 minutes per game consistently and he played all facets of the game. Spacek was not really a PK'er and was somewhat demoted from the powerplay. I have to believe that playing those minutes 3 out of 4 nights a week is much tougher than playing those minutes more spread out. The wear and tear showed up for sure but at the same time he managed to bounce back later in the playoffs. The man deserves more credit than what he gets.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambergius View Post
*shurg*

The whole thread is about what happens if we get injuries to our defense. In that context, it seems to me that we have an issue: not enough players that can step up to first/second pairings - or are young players that haven't been tested at that level. Now, I can be wrong in my evaluation of the risk, happens all the time, but still seems more than nothing to me.
First off, name me one team that won't be affected if they lose a guy like Markov??..
Think Boston would be just as good without Chara?..Chicago without Keith??..Philly without Pronger??..the list goes on and on.

Of course we won't be as good, we lose one of the best DMan in the league, I would assume this has some type of impact.

That being said, we lost him last season in the first game. He wasn't the first to drop out though, O'Byrne was quickly added to that list in Game 2. Then, Gill was forced to play injured and was horrendous, eventually he had to tap out as well. Spacek also dealt with a bit of injuries and had to adapt for the first time in his career to playing on his off wing. Let's not forget we also did not have MAB until past mid october.

Do you realize our Defense at some point was Belle-Spacek-Hamrlik-Gill-Gorges-Mara???..And this is not even two weeks into the season. All the while, our team had to learn a new system and get used to new teammates.
Hamrlik and Spacek got a lot of minutes early in the season. People think they played around 23Min throughout the year, but that's false. Spacek and Hamrlik were logging up to 25+ min early in the year until Markov came back, sometimes they got as much as 28min.
No wonder they got tired, but it didn't happen playing 23min per game. I mean, we had Gill play up to 20Min at times!! But we managed to pull through and stay flat around .500. I think that was a big accomplishment.
Nobody in the world gave us a chance when Markov, O'Byrne, Gionta, A.Ko were all out, and with just Plek-Cammy-Gomez leading our offense. Especially that they all suffered long term injuries.

People are really quick to forget how things go down during a season. Hammer and Spacek did a terrific job given the situation. I have no doubts or reservations as to how much they can contribute this year.

This year, at least to begin the season, we have a healthy O'Byrne and a young stud Dman in Subban, so we're in much better shape without Markov. Spacek and Hammer won't have to play up to 25-28Min with that loss. Gorges can also log more minutes.
We have Picard that can scrape up some minutes and maybe we would also be well surprised with our youngsters Weber or Carle. Who knows.

But I have absolutely no reason to even question whether or not Hammer-Spacek can do a decent job. I know they can. They proved it last year.
As usual though, people will focus a lot more on the negative things, mainly Hammer struggling in 1st round ( he bounced back as soon as he was called out) and the fact he and Spacek lead for turnovers (without mentioning Markov has already been at the top of that list but everybody was praising his game).

We are more than fine on Defense. Mark my words.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I agree with the last post, our defense is as deep or more than most in the NHL. In the cap world if you lose star players you pay the price. Just look at Detroit last year, they were out of a playoff spot after 50 or 60 games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Gauthier sucks (or "lack cojones") because he couldn't replace by trade Hamrlik and Spacek with younger, cheaper and better players...

but Hamrlik and Spacek are overpaid for what they bring...

If it's true, then how exactly is Gauthier supposed to trade them?

Let me guess, "they should haven't been signed to begin with".

Some posters here have such a nave view of what is realistic or not, it's amazing.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
First off, name me one team that won't be affected if they lose a guy like Markov??...Think Boston would be just as good without Chara?..Chicago without Keith??..Philly without Pronger??..the list goes on and on.
We are more than fine on Defense. Mark my words.
Chara - played 80 games last year

Pronger - played 82 games last year

Keith - played 82 games last year

None of the aforementioned players missed half a season and looked slowed down with achilles issues, and none of them had their knees under the knife this past summer. And if Markov does start the year -- it's going to be sooner than anticipated (yes I know that means he's ready but still, I'm sure it would be beneficial for him to start in November).

So yes, these are legitimate concerns for our "superstar" d-man. We have PK on this team this year but we also have a bigger question marks and players that are 1 year closer to the end of their careers. It's not right to impose such hurdles and expectations on PK in the case of injury.

Hamrlik/Spacek/Gill/Markov as a unit are old and fragile.

It's just reality until we are free of Hammers cap-hit. Insert a younger body at that cap hit and things change drastically.

Anyways, the glass if half full right now and these players will be starting the year -- but we are merely speculating very realistic possibilities here given the health history and age of 4 of our starting D-MEN....

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Gauthier sucks (or "lack cojones") because he couldn't replace by trade Hamrlik and Spacek with younger, cheaper and better players...

but Hamrlik and Spacek are overpaid for what they bring...

If it's true, then how exactly is Gauthier supposed to trade them?

Let me guess, "they should haven't been signed to begin with".

Some posters here have such a nave view of what is realistic or not, it's amazing.
If replacing guys like Spacek and Hamrlik with younger/cheaper/better players was that easy don't you think every team would be doing it? Young, cheap skilled players don't grow on trees and are very valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

None of the aforementioned players missed half a season and looked slowed down with achilles issues, and none of them had their knees under the knife this past summer. And if Markov does start the year -- it's going to be sooner than anticipated (yes I know that means he's ready but still, I'm sure it would be beneficial for him to start in November).

So yes, these are legitimate concerns for our "superstar" d-man. We have PK on this team this year but we also have a bigger question marks and players that are 1 year closer to the end of their careers. It's not right to impose such hurdles and expectations on PK in the case of injury.

It's just reality until we are free of Hammers cap-hit. Insert a younger body at that cap hit and things change drastically.

Anyways, the glass if half full right now and these players will be starting the year -- but we are merely speculating very realistic possibilities here given the health history and age of 4 of our starting D-MEN....
So if one of those 3 misses half the year does he suddenly become "old and fragile"? That makes no sense at all.

Old
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If replacing guys like Spacek and Hamrlik with younger/cheaper/better players was that easy don't you think every team would be doing it? Young, cheap skilled players don't grow on trees and are very valuable.
I think you misunderstood the nature of my post. I fully agree with what you're saying.

Old
09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
So if one of those 3 misses half the year does he suddenly become "old and fragile"? That makes no sense at all.
as a unit they are old and fragile. How can you disagree?

Old
09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well a couple of them have expiring contracts and we have guys like O'byrne, Picard, Weber and Carle as #7-10 on the organizational depth chart, if we have a few injuries we should still be fine. Obviously Markov is the one you can't replace.

Old
09-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
We could certainly be younger and less fragile. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. The real question is if our defense corp age and potential fragility justify acting right now (if such action is even possible) instead of waiting for the problem to go away itself next summer (for Hamrlik) and in two years (for Spacek).

Old
09-15-2010, 10:49 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
We could certainly be younger and less fragile. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. The real question is if our defense corp age and potential fragility justify acting right now (if such action is even possible) instead of waiting for the problem to go away itself next summer (for Hamrlik) and in two years (for Spacek).
Well, you're wrong.. People are by and large saying otherwise.

What YOU are saying is that there are issues in the 2010-2011 defensive unit of age and fragility. I agree with that assessment. Whether or not things could of been done is a debate in its own (buy-outs, trade for nothing etc.. ).

Most here are fully confident in Markov, Gill, Spacek and Hammer and believe we have enough depth in case of emergency. They are looking at the glass half full and I applaud their positivity.

Too bad for the sake of discussion some of us are not able to find the middle ground between cup half full and reality.

I am willing to bet that the 4 of Hamrlik/Spacek/Markov/Gill will miss a combine total of 80 to 100 games this year.

Maybe 1 will play more than 70 games.

Old
09-15-2010, 10:53 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I just realized how hf hates 35+ years old
Interesting. I think there is a growing realization by all fans of the sport that players over 32-33 just can't cut it any more.

Seems ridiculous to older fans like me, and perhaps many of you, but:

It may be true.

Crosby winning a cup at what, 21? That was unheard of even 20 hears ago. Even Gretz had to wait 4-5 years...

Toews and Kane, what, 22, 23?

I read somewhere today that only one player over 30 has scored 50 since the lockout, or was it 2000: Iginla.

I like Hammer and Spatch, both are great players, but you know what? They are old in today's NHL, and that makes them risky.

I like the Habs move to youth, and I think it is the right direction. Players under 25 are starting to make a big difference in the NHL, like it or not.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
I understand your point - I think. But to me it's just ironic to point the fingers at these two players and call them old and fragile when all they did last year was give this team a chance to make the playoffs. For a period of time they were the glue that held a D together that was minus Markov, Gill and O'Byrne. I look at the long list of names that played D last October and November and wonder how they did it. But somehow they managed with numerous teammates injured, new coaches, a new system and playing a compressed schedule.

IMHO.......last year when injuries happened more players needed to step up to the plate. For whatever reason the Habs didn't have those players. The Czech's are not the problem. It's the lack of players who could step up and perform at some decent level given the chance.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:

What YOU are saying is that there are issues in the 2010-2011 defensive unit of age and fragility. I agree with that assessment.
I don't agree it's an issue. Like I said, we could always get younger, better, less fragile. Doesn't mean it's an issue. I think the habs have bigger issue than replacing Harmlik this year (instead of just next summer).
Quote:
Whether or not things could of been done is a debate in its own (buy-outs, trade for nothing etc.. ).
Well, it's a debate in its own, but not something you can brush under the carpet either, since it's non-trivial. It's like saying that we should have world peace, but claiming that how we are going to do it "is a debate in its own". It's a bit easy.
Quote:
Most here are fully confident in Markov, Gill, Spacek and Hammer and believe we have enough depth in case of emergency. They are looking at the glass half full and I applaud their positivity.
I'm also confident with our D. I think it's competitive enough in the circumstances.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What YOU are saying is that there are issues in the 2010-2011 defensive unit of age and fragility. I agree with that assessment. Whether or not things could of been done is a debate in its own (buy-outs, trade for nothing etc.. ).

Too bad for the sake of discussion some of us are not able to find the middle ground between cup half full and reality.

I am willing to bet that the 4 of Hamrlik/Spacek/Markov/Gill will miss a combine total of 80 to 100 games this year.

Maybe 1 will play more than 70 games.
They only missed a combined 66 games last year with 37 of those coming on Markov's cut ankle tendon(which had nothing to do with age or durability, it was a fluke play), not sure how they'll suddenly start breaking down a year later.

An optimistic look would be 25-30 games, realistic look 40-50 and a pesimistic look 60-80. 100 would be nearly twice as bad as last year.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
They only missed a combined 66 games last year with 37 of those coming on Markov's cut ankle tendon(which had nothing to do with age or durability, it was a fluke play), not sure how they'll suddenly start breaking down a year later.

An optimistic look would be 25-30 games, realistic look 40-50 and a pesimistic look 60-80. 100 would be nearly twice as bad as last year.
Fluke play or not, we can't deny that he looked slower upon return. We also can't be 100 % certain that he'll return to his old skating form ...especially after knee surgery.

If Markov plays 82 games and doesn't miss a beat than I'll eat crow... till then, I'm going with what I saw from his game last year and recent history of fragility.

I imagine the organization wants to see him get some games under his belt before they extend his contract. Only normal under the circumstances.

But I understand, its unholy to talk about Markov in such a light on the boards...

I would say realistically if we can get more than 65 games from Markov we should be happy.

Same for Gill.

One of Hamrlik or Spacek are likely to get some old man injury issues too.

With that said, you are right, 100 is probably a bit high... but 60 - 80 is about what I'm expecting.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

You clearly misunderstood my point.

Who cares if Chara, Pronger and Keith didn't miss any games??..That's besides the point. Is it because they didn't miss any that they won't miss some this year???..
Just because someone gets injured a year, doesn't mean he'll get injured again the following year especially when it's freak injuries.
Same thing can be said about someone that doesn't get injured a year, it doesn't mean he's injury risk free the following year.

Anything can happen to anybody.

My point was to say that if they did ever get injured, their Defense would suffer from their loss. Just like us losing Markov will always affect us.
But, looking at what we were able to do last year without Markov (and without a bunch of other injured players during his loss on top of being a new team/system), there's no reason for you to be any more worried that what you were last year.
Our Defense is better than last season's.
Gorges improved as he does every year and should be able to eat more minutes.
Subban adds a whole new dimension that we didn't have at all last year.
O'Byrne is most likely going to be better, he started camp strong last year but got injured in game 2, unfortunately he struggled when he came back.
Markov should not miss 37 games again, and even if he's not the same as he once was (as you're scared off, not me) he's still going to be good.
Hamrlik and Spacek are getting older, no doubt, but they were able to handle up to 28MIN per game early in the year when we went through major injuries. So, if we give them around 20Min a game, that should be more than enough to compensate their age ''deficiencies''. When they have a simplified game, they can be very efficient.
Gill is getting older as well, he is a PK specialist. He will likely not play 82 games, but we have O'Byrne that can step in. We also have Picard, Weber and Carle on standby.

So yea, a part of our squad is getting old. In no way is that a cause for concern though. They're good Dmen, they're in shape, as long as we use them properly there is no issue.

If you're going to ask me what happens if we lose Markov and Subban long term, then yea, of course it's going to affect us.
But that's where my reference to Chara-Pronger-Keith came in. Any team that will lose their top Dmen will suffer from it. We're not any different from any other team.
What happens if any teams loses their top 2 D ???...You think all will be well and their record won't be affected from it?..Of course not.

Unfortunately last season we were hit hard by the injury bug. We lost our top wingers and top Dman. We also got a good amount of depth players that got injured, which didn't make things easier. To make matters worse, this was the first year playing under our new coach and system. At the same time, half of the team changed so it was a new beginning for every body.

Our situation last year was disastrous, yet we pulled through.

There is no reason to be concerned about anything at the present time. Things are looking good.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Fluke play or not, we can't deny that he looked slower upon return. We also can't be 100 % certain that he'll return to his old skating form ...especially after knee surgery.

If Markov plays 82 games and doesn't miss a beat than I'll eat crow... till then, I'm going with what I saw from his game last year and recent history of fragility.

I imagine the organization wants to see him get some games under his belt before they extend his contract. Only normal under the circumstances.

But I understand, its unholy to talk about Markov in such a light on the boards...

I would say realistically if we can get more than 65 games from Markov we should be happy.

Same for Gill.

With that said, you are right, 100 is probably a bit high... but 60 - 80 is about what I'm expecting.
The ankle should be back to 100% by the start of this year. I just hope he takes all the time needed for the knee, because by shushing back he risks another injury if he is not as mobile as he should.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Same for Gill.

Markov is not expected to play in October, but that has nothing to do with this year. It's due to an injury suffered last year and surgery over the summer.
We play 11 Games in October. That means Markov will play at the most 71Games. so, you're saying Markov will suffer yet another injury that will keep him at least 6 games (equivalent of 2weeks) out of the roster.
You're expecting him to miss 6 extra games?...Why ? Because he got injured before??..So??...Players have gotten injured before, more than once, and came back to play all the games.
I don't know why you're saying he lost a beat in his game. He played about as much as he usually averages, his scoring ratio is just a tad under what he avg during his career year, he avg a lot less turnovers per game as in his two previous years (one of which is a career year), so really other than the usual slow first games back from injury, I don't get where you saw that he lost a beat..

Hamrlik and Spacek were overused last year and didn't miss that many games, why should it be any different this year??..especially if they're less used.

I don't see Gill playing more than 65Games, but I'm not necessarily attributing this to injuries. O'Byrne will need his share of games as well.

Really, you're looking at things with quite a pessimistic eye.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You clearly misunderstood my point.
I understand your point that if any team loses their top D/forward/goalie you can never truly replace them with secondary men.

Sure the Price's blade cutting his tendon is a freak accident... but it still happened.

The Cooke incident seemed like one that was brought on by general weakness in the lower body -- know way that should of been an injury. But let's not debate this...

My point is that Pronger, Keith and Chara were healthier last year. In theory, chances are better that they will remain healthier than Markov.

If you are healthy one year, chances are you will be healthier the next. It's a simple straight forward formula that every GM in the world goes by.

It's a large factor of how players are valued.

Of course, injuries happen, but if you ask 30 GM's in the league about Markov they'll all unanimously be concerned about the state of his health.

Again, nobody can speculate , and right now I agree we should have the glass half full view on things since everyone is healthy at the start of camp (or so I am told).

I am confident that PK will be a force and he may even overtake the Markov as the number 1 , or be the legitimate number 2 on this team. That alone could be huge. But we can't give up on the kid or be overly surprised if he also shows signs of being a rookie, and struggles / burns out at stretches during the year. As for Picard, Carle and O'byrne, we haven't seen them taking on such a role of a Spacek / Hamrlik to suggest that they could alleviate some of their workload.

We also have vastly different opinions on the state of Spacek's and Hamrlik's game ... but I agree with you they did their job last year, by and large.....

Naturally, if they stay healthy, and Markov stays healthy, and PK blossoms, and O'byrne develops, and Gill remains healthy at the PK specialist ... we might pull through. **crossing fingers**

Old
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
habsjunkie2*

I don't mind either player and I'm not overly concerned that either will regress drastically. I don't think Hamt is much of an injury risk either. He's been pretty solid despite being forced into a role he shouldn't be expected to play.

Spacek annoys me on many nights, but he's still a solid defencemen, an overpaid one, but solid. I would move him if the right offer came, but I doubt any teams are looking for an overpaid aging dman, so his best use is on our roster.

Size down the middle and 5vs5 scoring, which I believe is a direct result of being undersized. Our small players play big, our big players play small. If Pouliot and AK could use their size more effectively it shouldn't be an issue, but I suspect scoring 5vs5 will once again be our main trouble.

These 2 guys will be the least of worries.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I understand your point that if any team loses their top D/forward/goalie you can never truly replace them with secondary men.

Sure the Price's blade cutting his tendon is a freak accident... but it still happened.

The Cooke incident seemed like one that was brought on by general weakness in the lower body -- know way that should of been an injury. But let's not debate this...

My point is that Pronger, Keith and Chara were healthier last year. In theory, chances are better that they will remain healthier than Markov.

If you are healthy one year, chances are you will be healthier the next. It's a simple straight forward formula that every GM in the world goes by.

It's a large factor of how players are valued.
That would only be true if they are recurring injuries. What next, you'll tell me Cammy and Gionta have more chances of getting their foot broken again because it happened last year??..Not necessarily.
It all depends on what type of injury you suffered, how badly you were hurt and how well it healed.
You can't really say ''generally speaking, Markov got injured last year, Pronger didn't, therefore Markov has a higher risk''...doesn't really work like that.

If Markov had injured the same knee three times, I would agree, but as far as I'm concerned he never re-injured the same part of his body.

Quote:
Naturally, if they stay healthy, and Markov stays healthy, and PK blossoms, and O'byrne develops, and Gill remains healthy at the PK specialist ... we might pull through. **crossing fingers**
Actually, we got completely injured last year, both up front and on defense, key players simultaneously suffered long term injuries (on top of depth players), we went through a coaching change which means a system change, we also changed half of the team so it's pretty much a whole new beginning, on top of this we had the MTL distractions from the 100th year, the GM change and the sale of the team.

There was about a million reasons for us to end up with a high draft pick last year, but somehow we managed to pull through.

So if Markov can remain healthy, PK plays as he has (not a crazy expectation at all), O'Byrne plays like he did in camp last year and exchange duties with Gill, with Hammer and Spacek playing up to their reputation with lower minutes, as well as Gorges being Gorges...we won't just pull through, we will dominate.

Old
09-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
I'm not sold on Spacek being that awful. I'm pretty sure it was a mix of having a bad year and playing on the wrong side. At the end of the season & in the playoffs, he really stepped it up.

As for Hamrlik, it's obvious his mobility is getting worse but having to fill up Markov's skates for the long time he was injured took its toll. He was a beast for the first half and regressed in the 2nd half. Obviously, we'll be better off replacing him next year.

What I'd like to see this season is better matchups on D. Since Subban is a RD, this will help a lot. Will he play with Markov or will he be played at the 2nd pairing defenseman to avoid putting all our eggs in the same basket?
I'd like to see what Spacek could do if played as a LD. Maybe he'll be paired with Subban?

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdrg View Post
I'm not sold on Spacek being that awful. I'm pretty sure it was a mix of having a bad year and playing on the wrong side. At the end of the season & in the playoffs, he really stepped it up.

As for Hamrlik, it's obvious his mobility is getting worse but having to fill up Markov's skates for the long time he was injured took its toll. He was a beast for the first half and regressed in the 2nd half. Obviously, we'll be better off replacing him next year.

What I'd like to see this season is better matchups on D. Since Subban is a RD, this will help a lot. Will he play with Markov or will he be played at the 2nd pairing defenseman to avoid putting all our eggs in the same basket?
I'd like to see what Spacek could do if played as a LD. Maybe he'll be paired with Subban?
I think Spacek might still play the right side now that he's acostumed to it, nights when O'Byrne might be out of the lineup. We'll only have OB and Subban as natural righties (unless one of Carle or Weber makes it). Gorges can play right, Spacek too. So nights when OB is out, you'll have Gorges, Subban and Spacek on the right.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:58 PM
pachorella

i see it like this.
GM gauthier will try to trade one of them for a draft pick (2nd or 3rd rounder) .Most probably on the trade deadline.

But anyways, I am happy that hamrlik's contract expires next year. It brings a lot of space on the salary cap.Which mean we can strengthen our team by signing ufa and trading some of our prospects.

If you look at our prospect list , lot of guys knocking on the door of the nhl, its a very important year to know our prospect, know who to keep and build on and who to trade.

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote