HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Should SFY try and acquire Souray?

View Poll Results: Should we pick up Souray?
Yes, he would complete our defense 5 14.29%
Yes, but only on re-entry waivers 12 34.29%
No, he is a locker room cancer 4 11.43%
No, he costs too much and is injury prone 11 31.43%
No, only because he has more than a year left on his contract 1 2.86%
Other 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Kurtis Foster? Paul Ranger?

Old
09-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
I don't think he'd complete the team, but trading for him wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. He'd actually be a point-producing defenseman on a team that's lacked one since Boyle left. He can be used as a duo on the point with Stamkos, or he can be a very dangerous threat on the 2nd unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Kurtis Foster? Paul Ranger?
Kurtis Foster, yes.

Steve Eminger, yes...and Cory Murphy for 25 magical games.

The Lightning had loads of guys who were supposed to provide more O from the D. Krajicek, Meszaros, Welch, Ohlund, Carle (briefly), etc. You could also make an argument for Hedman.

It was how Tocchet was utilizing them.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 09-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old
09-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Kurtis Foster, yes.

Steve Eminger, yes...and Cory Murphy for 25 magical games.

The Lightning had loads of guys who were supposed to provide more O from the D. Krajicek, Meszaros, Welch, Ohlund, Carle (briefly), etc. You could also make an argument for Hedman.

It was how Tocchet was utilizing them.
Tocchet didn't utilize Cory Murphy. Cory Murphy utilized Rick Tocchet.

Old
09-21-2010, 07:39 PM
reginaoil

Guys Souray is very unpopular right now because of his comments at seasons end. Before that most were wanting to hand him the C and he was considered the best Dman on the team by far.

If he was allowed back, acted humbled and played well all would be forgotten and forgiven quickly.

Even Comrie was hated worse, came back and now many are mad he wasn't resigned LOL....just putting perspective of how a player is viewed in EDM changes quickly and they can be pretty vicious when it comes to the image of the team or city being slighted. Especially if you appear spoiled.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Tommyj214

i dont think souray is quite the answer your looking for, but may not be a bad pick up off waivers. a zbynek michalek or a anton volchenkov caliber player may help you out more.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:23 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyj214 View Post
i dont think souray is quite the answer your looking for, but may not be a bad pick up off waivers. a zbynek michalek or a anton volchenkov caliber player may help you out more.
Cause those two are available

Old
09-23-2010, 04:09 AM
garmonbozia

I went with 'other' because I'm really not sure and the given reasons didn't persuade me either way.

I don't think he'd 'complete our defense'. His attributes would add to and complement our defensive core but are hardly the cure-all elixir of completion.

I don't think Edmonton will put him on re-entry waivers. They may waive him, they'll certainly try to trade him, they may trade other assets to facilitate it, but I don't think they'll pay half the remaining contract just to give him away for free.

I don't think he's a locker room cancer. I think the concept is overused, a side condition of humanity and its need for categorizing the perceived shortcomings of fellow men.

He does cost too much money. His contract lasting beyond next year is also of concern. Of all the "No" reasons, these stand out as the most logical ones for why the Lightning would stay away.

He isn't an ironman, but his injury history isn't all that atypical for an NHLer either. Nothing progressively degenerative apparent.

I think it would only work if Yzerman was looking for a way out of either Malone or Ohlund's longer term deals. As such, I don't want to see Ohlund nor Malone dealt to acquire Souray just because I think both are pretty fairly paid and are capable of contributing more to the teams success than Sheldon. So overall I lean toward "No", but if the asset costs were insignificant (see:Gagne trade) I would lean toward "Yes" because I think he could help on the ice.

Closed Thread