HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need info on Travis Zajac - 04' draft hopeful

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2004, 02:31 PM

vCash: 500
Need info on Travis Zajac - 04' draft hopeful

I saw on the prospect board that a poster Mizral did a write up on his top 30 prospects, and I liked what I read about him, he's got good size at 6"2 and 200lbs, he's a center, and best of all he's right handed, they're were some flasws in his game like he plays a bit of a soft game and he hasn't played vs. top competition, kind of like Brian Boyle last year, but according to Mizral, he's got great offensive tools

Has anyone here seen him play?
Would he be a good pick?
Is he a lock for the 1st round or will he be available later?

Thank you.

Old
06-03-2004, 02:54 PM
markov`

Didn't saw him play but from what I heard, he's too risky. You don't know how he is going to react to pro hockey.

Old
06-03-2004, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Didn't saw him play but from what I heard, he's too risky. You don't know how he is going to react to pro hockey.
Thanks...he's probably a high risk/high reward type of player...maybe he'd be worth a second round pick, if we have one, I don't remember

BTW, thanks for the compliment on the prospect board

Old
06-03-2004, 03:03 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Thanks...he's probably a high risk/high reward type of player...maybe he'd be worth a second round pick, if we have one, I don't remember

I basically said that because of what you said of db32. God I hate this guy. I'd be curious to know how does he evaluate Zajac since he doesn't have any stats of him at a pro level :lol

Old
06-03-2004, 03:07 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:

I don't think we have one. We traded it for Kovalev... we might have had another, from somewhere, but I don't think so.

Old
06-03-2004, 03:10 PM
KILLger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
db32
db23, get your stuff right!

(he's good with numbers... )

Old
06-03-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
I don't think we have one. We traded it for Kovalev... we might have had another, from somewhere, but I don't think so.
I knkow we lost it in the Kovalev trade, but I think I remember Montreal (poster) saying that we had another 2nd round pick, but I can't think of how they would of acquired it...anybody know?

Old
06-03-2004, 03:26 PM
KILLger

Quote:
I knkow we lost it in the Kovalev trade, but I think I remember Montreal (poster) saying that we had another 2nd round pick, but I can't think of how they would of acquired it...anybody know?
Mixing up last and this year perhaps...

I really don't see how we could have acquired another one.

Gone are: Chow, McKay, Audette (bought out)...

Old
06-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Subban Fan

I'm not very high on taking players from BCHL with 1st round pick...

Old
06-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Has anyone here seen him play?
Would he be a good pick?
Is he a lock for the 1st round or will he be available later?
Thank you.
I haven't seen him or read Mizral's comments yet, but my own "moneyball" line on him is:

1. He was a full year older than most of the prospects in this draft. (He could have opted in last year, but was preserving his NCAA eligibility by staying out).

2. He played in Jr. A when most top prospects are already in tougher leagues playing against much tougher competition.

3. Last year, when he was 18, playing in the same league, he went mostly unnoticed, put up unremarkable numbers, and was reportedly not on anybody's scouting radar.

4. He played on a team that scored 300 goals in 60 games. Naturally he had a lot of help racking up the points therefore, including Chucko on his line. (For the record, Chucko has similar size, and had 87 points as an 18-year old, where Zajac only had 52 pts last year as an 18-year old). (Is there any Langkow/Ryan situation here? Who makes who, and how do we know?)

Now all that said, I have no idea, he might be a great pick, or Chucko might be for that matter, or they both might be, or they both might not be... I haven't seen them. But those concerns I listed above would make me want to have scouted the player heavily in person before I felt confident in picking him.

Edit: (P.S. I will add that I'm a little bit gunshy about BCHLers with eye-popping stats after having been burned in the past looking at some big numbers and getting over-excited... Milan Gajic and Kevin Estrada spring to mind, although there were lots of others... they had similar stats to Zajac, and they aren't exactly amounting to anything other than fringe longshots, worthy of late-round picks at best).

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 06-03-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old
06-03-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I haven't seen him or read Mizral's comments yet, but my own "moneyball" line on him is:

1. He was a full year older than most of the prospects in this draft. (He could have opted in last year, but was preserving his NCAA eligibility by staying out).

2. He played in Jr. A when most top prospects are already in tougher leagues playing against much tougher competition.

3. Last year, when he was 18, playing in the same league, he went mostly unnoticed, put up unremarkable numbers, and was reportedly not on anybody's scouting radar.

4. He played on a team that scored 300 goals in 60 games. Naturally he had a lot of help racking up the points therefore, including Chucko on his line. (For the record, Chucko has similar size, and had 87 points as an 18-year old, where Zajac only had 52 pts last year as an 18-year old). (Is there any Langkow/Ryan situation here? Who makes who, and how do we know?)

Now all that said, I have no idea, he might be a great pick, or Chucko might be for that matter, or they both might be, or they both might not be... I haven't seen them. But those concerns I listed above would make me want to have scouted the player heavily in person before I felt confident in picking him.
I see, what kind of league is the BCHL anyway? high school, I believe Ryan O'byrne played there last year...

The reason I was asking about this guy is because Mizral seemed quite high on him, and it's the first time I hear about him, but if everything you wrote is accurate, i'd definately stay away...

Thanks

Old
06-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:

Totally agree with you on this one!!!

Old
06-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I see, what kind of league is the BCHL anyway? high school, I believe Ryan O'byrne played there last year...
Well, if the CHL was the NHL, then the BCHL would be kind of like the AHL. It's "the minor leagues" for junior players. Sometimes players will step up into the CHL from Jr. A, but I would say the majority of the players in those leagues are the ones who weren't considered good enough to make it into the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL).

One twist to it is that the NCAA doesn't accept players from the CHL, because it deems them to be "professionals" (for accepting some lunch money and other allowances), so some players who plan in advance to go the NCAA route stick around and finish their high school while playing in Jr. A leagues, like the BCHL. That is what Zajac was doing, of course. So that raises the calibre of players somewhat, since many of those college-bound players would have been good enough to play in the CHL, of course. Still, those players do not make up a majority of the players in the league, by any stretch.

For example, the guy who beat out Zajac for the BCHL scoring title was 21-year old Kyle Greentree, who seems to have never made the cut to the CHL, and is only now catching on with UAF in the NCAA after his late breakout. He's 6-3/200, had 115 points, but you don't hear him mentioned by NHL scouts, and I don't imagine he was originally in the BCHL just with hopes of going the NCAA route.

Old
06-03-2004, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Well, if the CHL was the NHL, then the BCHL would be kind of like the AHL. It's "the minor leagues" for junior players. Sometimes players will step up into the CHL from Jr. A, but I would say the majority of the players in those leagues are the ones who weren't considered good enough to make it into the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL).

One twist to it is that the NCAA doesn't accept players from the CHL, because it deems them to be "professionals" (for accepting some lunch money and other allowances), so some players who plan in advance to go the NCAA route stick around and finish their high school while playing in Jr. A leagues, like the BCHL. That is what Zajac was doing, of course. So that raises the calibre of players somewhat, since many of those college-bound players would have been good enough to play in the CHL, of course. Still, those players do not make up a majority of the players in the league, by any stretch.

For example, the guy who beat out Zajac for the BCHL scoring title was 21-year old Kyle Greentree, who seems to have never made the cut to the CHL, and is only now catching on with UAF in the NCAA after his late breakout. He's 6-3/200, had 115 points, but you don't hear him mentioned by NHL scouts, and I don't imagine he was originally in the BCHL just with hopes of going the NCAA route.
Thanks, it's kind of confusing though, if I remember correctly, didn't Dainius Zubrus play in the BCHL or Jr.A at some point before turning pro? and is the USHL the american version of the BCHL?

Sorry about all the questions, but you seem pretty knowledgeable on this topic, thanks in advance

Old
06-03-2004, 04:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

That's the problem though it's hard to overlook the BCJHL cause a lot of them are moving onto the NCAA to get an education while playing hockey. I can't say too much about Zajac or the BCJHL, as I have never been to a game out there, but I have spoken with the head scout of Cornell who was out west scouting some BCJHL players when I interviewed him, and he told me that the BCJHL has improved a lot and they are using that league to get players. They have picked up a number of players from the BCJHL lately, O'Byrne, Blitz, Sawanda, and Grenier from the SJHL. O'Byrne and Blitz both had good seasons, especially Blitz.

So I'd say I'm not as gun shy about getting a player from the teir-2, as I was in the past after talking to there scout. I've also talked with the head scout of ISS about this (mostly just about O'Byrne) about BCJHLers going to the NCAA. It seems to more of a common thing now.

As for Zajac, I think 18th is a little too high for him, I'd trade down if I was interested in him, he seems more of a late 1st rounder early 2nd round.

Old
06-03-2004, 04:56 PM
skoivu

Zubrus played in the CJHL. Its Jr A hokcey but the quality is better in BC

Old
06-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Thanks, it's kind of confusing though, if I remember correctly, didn't Dainius Zubrus play in the BCHL or Jr.A at some point before turning pro? and is the USHL the american version of the BCHL?
I'll get in over my head pretty soon, but luckily The King will be around to bail me out.

Anyway, there are Jr. A leagues all over the country, in Ontario, Alberta, Sask, as well as the BCHL. Zubrus played in Pembroke and Caledon, in Ontario versions of the BCHL (was Pembroke Jr. B at the time, maybe? Another notch below, the 'ECHL' of the tiers?). Maybe he was so unknown that no OHL team had his rights from the import draft and he didn't have anywhere else to play? Or he wanted to be in Ontario but a Quebec or Western team drafted him? I can't remember the story behind that one. At any rate, I suppose that it would be pretty fair to compare the BCHL to the USHL... though I've never seen any games from either one, and couldn't remotely compare the play directly. But they both seem to be made up of "a cut below the CHL" calibre, with the top players angling for the NCAA. I'm sure our King can help out more on this than I can...

Old
06-03-2004, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I'll get in over my head pretty soon, but luckily The King will be around to bail me out.

Anyway, there are Jr. A leagues all over the country, in Ontario, Alberta, Sask, as well as the BCHL. Zubrus played in Pembroke and Caledon, in Ontario versions of the BCHL (was Pembroke Jr. B at the time, maybe? Another notch below, the 'ECHL' of the tiers?). Maybe he was so unknown that no OHL team had his rights from the import draft and he didn't have anywhere else to play? Or he wanted to be in Ontario but a Quebec or Western team drafted him? I can't remember the story behind that one. At any rate, I suppose that it would be pretty fair to compare the BCHL to the USHL... though I've never seen any games from either one, and couldn't remotely compare the play directly. But they both seem to be made up of "a cut below the CHL" calibre, with the top players angling for the NCAA. I'm sure our King can help out more on this than I can...
Thanks Blind Gardien, I'll stop harrassing you now

Old
06-03-2004, 05:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

I do agree that the BCJHL seems to be similar to the USHL, which has come a long way. I have seen 1 USHL game this, and it was one of the better hockey games I've seen all year. If you look at the incoming players to the NCAA, BCJHL and USHL seem to make up a lot of these players.

Check here, but the board goes down often, but it's very good for incoming freshman. http://members.aol.com/cheisenber/Recruit04.htm

Old
06-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Mizral

My player profile of him and 4 other top BCHL prospects should be up on Hockey's Future's 2004 NHL Entry Draft webpage in a couple days. Already sent in, just has to be included into it.

Closed Thread