HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray said ''why am I here?'' in the locker room last season

Old
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Woland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by akratique View Post
Souray is Bergeron crossed with Todd Simpson.
haha , now that's just mean . Nobody can be as bad as MAB......ok maybe Patrick Traverse can

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:35 PM
ChoseLa

Souray paired with Markov = decent.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Souray paired with Markov = decent.
Any D paired with Markov magically becomes decent. See Komisarek, Mike.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Very existential.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:40 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I dont blame him for saying it...
however it was his descision to sign with such a crappy team...
dig your grave
lie in it
sums it up perfectly.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
And Hamrlik is about 10 times the player that Souray is.

Souray may have a better shot, sure. And he may fight, sure.

Hamrlik does everything else Souray does and better. He battles, wins pucks, clears pucks at will, has a great first pass, good vision, not really that injury prone, smarter with the puck, smarter without the puck, good with young kids as his partner.. the list goes on.
Hamrlik is maybe (or was, now) 10x more important a player to us than Souray because his defense is slightly better than Souray's, which enabled us to get into the playoffs, but I wouldn't say he's 10x the player.

I know that sounds like hairsplitting, but I think Hammer has some serious holes in his game and would love to see a salary dump/upgrade at some point. Hopefully it happens this year when Markov comes back.

Spacek should be dropped to the third pairing in the regular season as well. He doesn't have the endurance for a full season in the top 4, but can raise his game when it counts.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I think Komisarek is still a good player. He played well with Markov, doesn't mean he was terrible player masked as a good one. I'd still take komisarek over hamrlik. Even souray is a good player, but he got injured one too many times. I'm more upset that we didn't trade him that deadline than us not re-signing him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Hamrlik is maybe (or was, now) 10x more important a player to us than Souray because his defense is slightly better than Souray's, which enabled us to get into the playoffs, but I wouldn't say he's 10x the player.

I know that sounds like hairsplitting, but I think Hammer has some serious holes in his game and would love to see a salary dump/upgrade at some point. Hopefully it happens this year when Markov comes back.

Spacek should be dropped to the third pairing in the regular season as well. He doesn't have the endurance for a full season in the top 4, but can raise his game when it counts.
He was on the top pairing in buffalo before he came to us, i'm not sure how you figure this. Perhaps age has slowed him down, but he's clearly a top 4 who can handle top 4 minutes.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Bekbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I agree, Markov is the kind of player who make is partner look real good, look also at Beauchemin, he's good but whitout niedermayer....maybe he's not worth is contract

Toronto understand now.....

I like Kaberle, I imagine he can be a good fit for Komi or Beauchemin

Bekbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He was on the top pairing in buffalo before he came to us, i'm not sure how you figure this. Perhaps age has slowed him down, but he's clearly a top 4 who can handle top 4 minutes.
Not from the looks of him last season. He was awesome in the playoffs tho. He can't possibly be worse this season than he was in the regular season last year tho. He was very nervous with the puck and panicky in his own end. Would be nice if he didn't show up with two chins to camp this year. Haven't seen a photo of him yet.

Hammer is on his last legs as well. I appreciate the effort he gave in the playoff run tho. Doubtful he can give us a full season of that this year tho.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
alexstream

Rivet sucks in Buff
Souray sucks in Edm
Huet sucks in Chicago
Ryder sucks in Boston

WAY TO GO BOB GAINEY I STILL LOVE YOU

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:17 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
And Hamrlik is about 10 times the player that Souray is.
Man, I can see your point but you're abusing hyperbole right there.

They can be both useful in their respective way

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Man, I can see your point but you're abusing hyperbole right there.

They can be both useful in their respective way
just saying :
Souray + Gorges >>> Hamrlik + MAB

but as a matter of completeness and avoiding being the highlightreel of the week because of Jason Spooza, Hamrlik kicks some Souray's butts.
I do however miss having a pimp w/ the team. Man the interview at his house in Boucherville was EPIC, and that, before the word epic was abused.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 1928
We should sign him back with a realistic salary, when his contract expires. He'd be a good 6th D-man who fights, with a canon shot, racking the goals on the PP. Water and bridges, he'd probably love to come back (at a reasonable price ?) to finish his career in Montréal. And on top of that, when he's injuried, you just have to play a prospect.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Rivet sucks in Buff
Souray sucks in Edm
Huet sucks in Chicago
Ryder sucks in Boston

WAY TO GO BOB GAINEY I STILL LOVE YOU
You forgot Komisarek!
And Higgins!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:28 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
You forgot Komisarek!
And Higgins!
All of those guys were filling roles bigger than their abilities, like Brisebois was. We shouldn't automatically blame the player. And the systems in place didn't suit the personnel.

Look at what they did to Saku and he still produced.

We had a top line of Saku, Higgins and Ryder that was cycling in the corner for God's sake. Those guys don't weigh as much as Chara when combined.

We finally accumulated 4 capable puck movers on the blueline, but it took us years to do it. Markov has had zero help in his career, much like Saku in his years here.

Hopefully we will see a wave of toughness, size AND skill meshed in with what survives from this season. Tired of what this team has done in the recent past. Philly and Boston are getting bigger and tougher WHILE adding skill. Why can't we do that?

Old
09-15-2010, 01:40 PM
tinyzombies

Would love to have Souray back to deal with Lucic tho. I guess we're gonna keep going with skill only tho, while the Flyers pick up Guerin for even more skilled depth and toughness.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:41 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
All of those guys were filling roles bigger than their abilities, like Brisebois was. We shouldn't automatically blame the player. And the systems in place didn't suit the personnel.

We had a top line of Saku, Higgins and Ryder that was cycling in the corner for God's sake. Those guys don't weigh as much as Chara when combined.

We finally accumulated 4 capable puck movers on the blueline, but it took us years to do it. Markov has had zero help in his career, much like Saku in his years here.

Hopefully we will see a wave of toughness, size AND skill meshed in with what survives from this season. Tired of what this team has done in the recent past. Philly and Boston are getting bigger and tougher WHILE adding skill. Why can't we do that?
you were bringing up good points until the bolded part.

seriously? like REALLY?

1) Boston got clocked and has virtually nobody on that roster that's top 6 material (Savard annndddd??)

2) Philly didnt lose Pronger. I bet they wouldnt of made it past us if they had lost Pronger and we didnt lose Markov.

These are the two worst arguments that constantly re-appear on these boards that have been shown to be absolutely false, year in year out.

Philly STILL doesnt have good goaltending, despite it being goaltending that lost them a chance for the cup (and some pretty bad goaltending at that). Why dont THEY learn that?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What serious holes does Hamrlik have in his game?

Sure he wore down at the end of last year, but he logged a ton of minutes and a pile of responsibility in the 1st half. The shots off the ankles, hits and energy spent in those 38 games(before Markov came back) took a lot out of him.

He isn't as mobile as in his prime but he still has average NHL mobility for a d-man and doesn't have any major weaknesses in his game unlike Souray(defensive play and durability). Last year he played a ton vs top lines, played the PP, had to move the puck, basically did everything.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think Komisarek is still a good player. He played well with Markov, doesn't mean he was terrible player masked as a good one. I'd still take komisarek over hamrlik. Even souray is a good player, but he got injured one too many times. I'm more upset that we didn't trade him that deadline than us not re-signing him.
We were in a battle for a playoff spot, they couldn't trade BOTH Souray and Rivet for picks and prospects.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What serious holes does Hamrlik have in his game?

Sure he wore down at the end of last year, but he logged a ton of minutes and a pile of responsibility in the 1st half. The shots off the ankles, hits and energy spent in those 38 games(before Markov came back) took a lot out of him.

He isn't as mobile as in his prime but he still has average NHL mobility for a d-man and doesn't have any major weaknesses in his game unlike Souray(defensive play and durability). Last year he played a ton vs top lines, played the PP, had to move the puck, basically did everything.
To me, Hamrlik's only weakness is his footspeed. But at times last year, it was a glaring weakness that had impactful consequences. The game seems to be getting faster while he seems to be getting slower.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

You'll have to explain how Boston and Phillie have made such huge strides...Boston got a pretty good scorer in Horton(lazy *******, but should score with Savard) but weakened their defense by losing their best puck mover in Wideman. Phillie still has crappy goaltending and they took a salary dump(Mezaros) for Gagne. Meanwhile everything sucks in Habsland despite adding quality and quantity(Eller Boyd Halpern) to the bottom 6 and Subban on defense.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
To me, Hamrlik's only weakness is his footspeed. But at times last year, it was a glaring weakness that had impactful consequences. The game seems to be getting faster while he seems to be getting slower.
I thought he was fine in that aspect in the first half, but that was an issue down the stretch. As I said before, I think he got worn down and banged up.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Would love to have Souray back to deal with Lucic tho. I guess we're gonna keep going with skill only tho, while the Flyers pick up Guerin for even more skilled depth and toughness.
Halpern will do a lot more for us than Guerin for them. He's not better than their top 4 wingers and I don't think he'll sign to play bottom 6.

They haven't really "picked up" Guerin, he's there without a contract, they'll have to sign him and claer cap space.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray
Why am I here?
Because you're a ****ing idiot! Hahaha! Loser!

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote