HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Souray said ''why am I here?'' in the locker room last season

Old
09-16-2010, 03:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
My wife didn't stop saying how good looking he was,so much that I started hating him towards the end while still being a Hab.Don't much him at all,maybe the slap shot and leadership a little but his overall game not so much
Did you miss the Mike Richards on an empty net goal that was ALL Hamrlik's fault?

Or maybe the two times he barreled into Carey Price and shoved the puck into our own net for a goal against?

Hamrlik is trash now, he's too old to care.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 09-16-2010 at 03:20 PM.
WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Yeh but most would have flipped here and considered it giving up. We should have made it but choked on the road all year, namely in hame 82. You just don't trade a guy who was having the season Sheldon was. He had 26 goals and set the new record for PP goals by a d-man. People thought we'd keep him but whe he bolted, Gainey- often unfairly criticized by Hab fans as if he was one of the league's worst somehow- took the brunt of criticism and then people argued Souray should be kept over Markov... which tells you that despite the Habs fans knowledge of the game, most have no ****ing clue how to manage a lineup in this cap world. Gainey and Gauthier are far from perfect, but people around Montreal have lost perspective. They already forget what real bad GMs- Houle namely- look like.
I agree with you, we were battling for a playoff spot...still IMO it was poor asset management. You'd assume they'd go for an extension or have some talks to gauge his asking price, but they didn't and they we lost out and it was disappointing. By no means am i suggesting you trade him and that's it, but didn't really seem like they considered the option and I wish they did. For rivet we got a first(pacioretty) and gorges. For an all-star record breaking d-man(that year), I'm sure we could've gotten a little more which would've been very interesting! Oh well, it's the past, but just annoys me that we always try to 'battle' when we should've just built for next year/future. Gainey's best asset is his patience, unfortunately, that's also his worst asset sometimes.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:54 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
But he didn't, like he normally doesn't, and was a defensive liability as usual.
Whenever someone wants to criticize Souray they post this one bad play. It's been posted over and over again and really doesn't prove anything.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Did you miss the Mike Richards on an empty net goal that was ALL Hamrlik's fault?

Or maybe the two times he barreled into Carey Price and shoved the puck into our own net for a goal against?

remember the years hamrlik carried dandenault, Obyrne and brisebois and gave us solid play 5 on 5/ special team ?

'' trash, and too old to care '' ... I hate statements like those... where did you get that from ?

Anybody blaming him needs to put things in perspective. no hamrlik, no playoffs in the 1rst place. secondo, its okay to comment on a player's performance, but I'd like to point out a defensive mistake isn't nearly as bad as sleeping during an entire playoff run (pouillot, A.kost) ...

Last edited by THE HOFF: 09-16-2010 at 08:54 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If we had Souray and not Hamrlik last year, we don't make the playoffs.
I shudder at the thought of him and Bergeron playing D together. On PP they're both good but I'm glad they're both gone. By the way...If Souray did say that...Who would want someone with that attitude on the team?

Shadyone33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post

@3:00, still one of my favourite goals ever!
Souray had a great blast, but clearly what this video does best is show that Markov just has great instincts on the left point and is probably the best setup man for a one-timer in the NHL. His passes are just picture perfect every time.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:01 PM
OneSharpMarble

We should have traded him when he had value but it's good we didn't resign him. The team relied entirly on him when he was here.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:15 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Halak was just as much at fault for that goal, if not more so.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:29 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Whenever someone wants to criticize Souray they post this one bad play. It's been posted over and over again and really doesn't prove anything.
That's just his greatest F up ever. It's his best, his peak, his greatest moment of gory.

There are hundreds of other b-rutal SS defensive blunders to choose from though, make no mistake (pun intended ).

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Halak was just as much at fault for that goal, if not more so.
Halak only skated out because he know a fullspeed Hamrlik is about as fast as a two-speed moped. Oh wait, "he was gassed because he carried the team all season" .

I didn't know professional hockey players didn't have to keep themselves in shape

Maybe that's why the Canadiens' personal trainer was fired, fat shlubs like Hamrlik, Spacek and AKost were sucking in air after every shift and Gauthier was tired of hearing that racket all the way from the balcony.

Old
09-16-2010, 11:49 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
remember the years hamrlik carried dandenault, Obyrne and brisebois and gave us solid play 5 on 5/ special team ?

'' trash, and too old to care '' ... I hate statements like those... where did you get that from ?

Anybody blaming him needs to put things in perspective. no hamrlik, no playoffs in the 1rst place. secondo, its okay to comment on a player's performance, but I'd like to point out a defensive mistake isn't nearly as bad as sleeping during an entire playoff run (pouillot, A.kost) ...
To me it seems as though Hamrlik means well but just doesn't keep in shape. He is only 36, he should be able to keep his body in check without resorting to drastic 2-hours a day workouts that Chelios did by the end of his career.

Pouliot had more injuries at once than any player last year. I think it was his shoulder (ie. he can't shoot the puck), his wrist (ie. no torque, no stickhandling) and his ankles (ie. no skating or agility). He was a large, warm body with zero-confidence.

AKost was a shlub and will always be a shlub unless he proves otherwise. We'll see.

No Hamrlik, no playoffs? Aside from 2 good, defensive but offensively inpet months in October and November I didn't see jack **** from him. Everyone is repeating the mantra without actually acknowledging how brutal he was after November. Him and Spacek didn't even make the Czech national team. They were terrible, they lead the league in giveaways. They ruined our powerplay and gave up a ton of SHG opps. I saw it with my very eyes.

Hamrlik was the sole reason we lost Game2 against the Caps. Halak was average but Hamrlik's play stunk up the joint.

This team would be better off with the cap-space and a steady, confident Ryan O'Byrne. You can quote me on that.

edit: I'd take Souray over Hamrlik considering the current lineup we have. Back then, we made the "right" choice in signing Hamrlik... if he had played like he was supposed to throughout his contract and not just for 1.5 seasons out of 3.

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Spacek - Souray

PP: Markov - Souray // Spacek - Subban

Old
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post

@3:00, still one of my favourite goals ever!
Man we miss that guy. I remember how clutch he was grabbing goals on the power play. If he didn't become a ****** and demand unbelievable money, I'd still have him back here. His salary is just too high and his wrist doesn't make it worth the risk. It's just too bad. With him, Markov and Subban on two power play units, we'd be first on the PP by a long shot lol imagine Cammalleri and Souray taking cross ice one timers from Markov. The other team wouldn't know who to mark haha

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:24 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Souray sucks in Edm

not even, when he was healthy souray was damned good for the oilers... trouble was he was hurt entirely too much and then got the bad attitude. But strictly in terms of play on the ice just about every oiler fan would take him at his pricetag.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:46 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
To me it seems as though Hamrlik means well but just doesn't keep in shape. He is only 36, he should be able to keep his body in check without resorting to drastic 2-hours a day workouts that Chelios did by the end of his career.

Pouliot had more injuries at once than any player last year. I think it was his shoulder (ie. he can't shoot the puck), his wrist (ie. no torque, no stickhandling) and his ankles (ie. no skating or agility). He was a large, warm body with zero-confidence.

AKost was a shlub and will always be a shlub unless he proves otherwise. We'll see.

No Hamrlik, no playoffs? Aside from 2 good, defensive but offensively inpet months in October and November I didn't see jack **** from him. Everyone is repeating the mantra without actually acknowledging how brutal he was after November. Him and Spacek didn't even make the Czech national team. They were terrible, they lead the league in giveaways. They ruined our powerplay and gave up a ton of SHG opps. I saw it with my very eyes.

Hamrlik was the sole reason we lost Game2 against the Caps. Halak was average but Hamrlik's play stunk up the joint.

This team would be better off with the cap-space and a steady, confident Ryan O'Byrne. You can quote me on that.

edit: I'd take Souray over Hamrlik considering the current lineup we have. Back then, we made the "right" choice in signing Hamrlik... if he had played like he was supposed to throughout his contract and not just for 1.5 seasons out of 3.

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Spacek - Souray

PP: Markov - Souray // Spacek - Subban
I don't see the steady, confident O'Byrne in that lineup. I do see a guy who is injury prone and lambasted his own organization. Sorry but I'll take the guy who admitted to poor play and was pretty stellar offensively and defensively against Pittsburgh.

I'd actually consider Souray again but I'd rather another team take the first chance to see how well he's recovered from his injuries. He's not getting any younger either and his contract runs through '12-'13. Like some others have said you can get a MAB or Babchuk for a lot less.

Souray left Montreal for greener pastures. I thought I read too that when he was on the trading block before his most recent injury, Montreal was not a choice of destination. Okay, I don't want Souray back.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
That's just his greatest F up ever. It's his best, his peak, his greatest moment of gory.

There are hundreds of other b-rutal SS defensive blunders to choose from though, make no mistake (pun intended ).
I wasn't trying to debate whether or not SS is good defensively. We all know he has problems, but one play posted over an over again does little to bolster that complaint.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote