HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Flyers have the best top 9 forwards, best top 6 D, and worst goalies?

Old
09-15-2010, 05:06 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

vCash: 500
Do the Flyers have the best top 9 forwards, best top 6 D, and worst goalies?

People are not realizing that the Flyers may have 9, 20 goal scorers.....Richie, Carter, Giroux, JvR, Zherdev, Briere, Hartnell, Leino, and Guerin (if he makes the team which I think he will)

Also, the D is a stacked, Pronger/Timonen can be #1's in alot of other organizations, then Homer finnaly did get us a 3rd pairing, whether it be, O'Donnell and Coburn or O'Donnell and Meszaros.

The Goalies, well nobody knows yet. I really dont see Leighton playing awful, but I think if this team at any point in the season goes cold, the Flyers hit the panick button and call up Bobs, or try to ride Backlund or acquire someone at the deadline or via waivers.

So do the Flyers have the best top 9 Forwards, Best top 6 D and the worst goalie tandem in the league?

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Guerin isn't signed yet and he barely scored 20 on Crosby's wing, I doubt he's putting in twenty on our third or fourth line.

You could make a case that they have the best D. I don't know about the best top 9, but it's possible I guess. I think you could certainly make a case for them having the best skaters top-to-bottom. And I would certainly make the case that they have some of the worst goal tending.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:12 PM
UseYourAllusion

Pretty much.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Villedelphia*

Heck, I'd say we have the best 4th line too.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Can't have the best top-9 when we're going to have at least one huge defensive liability at C.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd say we have the best D definitely. Top 9, definitely one of the best, I don't know if I would come out and say THE best. Goalies I don't think we are the worst. We aren't too far off, but Edmonton and NYI (depending on DiPietro...is he still hurt?) are in pretty bad shape.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
Heck, I'd say we have the best 4th line too.
Detriot? I'd say we're right up there though.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Guerin isn't signed yet and he barely scored 20 on Crosby's wing, I doubt he's putting in twenty on our third or fourth line.

You could make a case that they have the best D. I don't know about the best top 9, but it's possible I guess. I think you could certainly make a case for them having the best skaters top-to-bottom. And I would certainly make the case that they have some of the worst goal tending.
Its going to one hell of a year! Alot of talent on the ice for the Flyers, definatly at D

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
People are not realizing that the Flyers may have 9, 20 goal scorers.....Richie, Carter, Giroux, JvR, Zherdev, Briere, Hartnell, Leino, and Guerin (if he makes the team which I think he will)

Also, the D is a stacked, Pronger/Timonen can be #1's in alot of other organizations, then Homer finnaly did get us a 3rd pairing, whether it be, O'Donnell and Coburn or O'Donnell and Meszaros.

The Goalies, well nobody knows yet. I really dont see Leighton playing awful, but I think if this team at any point in the season goes cold, the Flyers hit the panick button and call up Bobs, or try to ride Backlund or acquire someone at the deadline or via waivers.

So do the Flyers have the best top 9 Forwards, Best top 6 D and the worst goalie tandem in the league?
The Flyers goaltending will be the suspect of attention this season. If Leighton returns to waiver wire form. We may have to resort to something drastic.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Crossbar Ping

To the original post, Yes. Absolutely. It kind of makes sense though, when you think of salary cap and whatnot. Not everyone can have EVERYTHING. But man, when there are good goalies out there available for like 2-4m per .... But on the other hand I do also support Holmgren being loyal to the goalie(s) that went to the cup final with....

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Unstable

Mmm, can't wait for the season to start!

I apologize for being absent lately - focused on baseball.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Best top 9? Maybe in the argument, but probably not. Best top 6 D? Yeah. Worst goaltending? Yup.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:23 PM
mercury

I firmly believe we have the deepest roster of skaters in the league. God willing, Michael Leighton has stockpiled this:

Last edited by mercury: 09-16-2010 at 02:02 AM.
mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I firmly believe have the deepest roster of skaters in the league. God willing, Michael Leighton has stockpiled this:
This, except for the Leighton crack.

Our top 9 is in the top 3 or 4.

Our defense is number 1 without question.

Our fourth line is top 2 or 3.

Our goaltending is 30.

That said, the team makes the goaltender, so Leighton's numbers should be alright. The only time to worry about him is when we face an offense as good as our own when the other team has no weakness we can exploit (see Chicago in the 2009-10 Finals) or we are slumping due to injury (see the first half of the Boston series when Gagne and Carter were both out and our depth could not carry us against a team built in much the same way we are).

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Mgkibbles

Yes, although I think Leighton will play well this year. He played a very simple, technically sound game up until the Cup Finals, and I expect with the improved defense he'll just try to play large in net and control rebounds. He should be fine until he faces an offense good enough to crack our defense.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:03 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Yes, although I think Leighton will play well this year. He played a very simple, technically sound game up until the Cup Finals, and I expect with the improved defense he'll just try to play large in net and control rebounds. He should be fine until he faces an offense good enough to crack our defense.
And even then, I'm not going to panic after a few bad games vs the top teams. But if the goaltending deflates completely, I fully expect to see someone big get offloaded for a mid-level goaltender, where we LOSE on the trade but plug the gap.

Hopefully Leighton and Boosh will do fine so all the haters can f-off and start focusing on other things for once.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:05 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
To the original post, Yes. Absolutely. It kind of makes sense though, when you think of salary cap and whatnot. Not everyone can have EVERYTHING. But man, when there are good goalies out there available for like 2-4m per .... But on the other hand I do also support Holmgren being loyal to the goalie(s) that went to the cup final with....
I agree with your first point. If we had a star goaltender, potentially $5 million per, with the salary cap, we wouldn't have this stellar team.

Sucks we didn't get a goalie like you said, but I loyalty had to factor in with Leighton coming back, and I think (opinion) maybe more happened with the goalies (Nabokov, Turco) than we know or will ever know about.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:09 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
And even then, I'm not going to panic after a few bad games vs the top teams. But if the goaltending deflates completely, I fully expect to see someone big get offloaded for a mid-level goaltender, where we LOSE on the trade but plug the gap.

Hopefully Leighton and Boosh will do fine so all the haters can f-off and start focusing on other things for once.
I agree.

But see, you're thinking too rationally for HF.

Anyway, I hope your last point is right. I can still see people on HF pointing the finger at Leighton even if the goals are a direct result of ****** defense/defense not working/defense not communicating.

Old
09-16-2010, 08:11 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Our goaltending is 30.

That said, the team makes the goaltender, so Leighton's numbers should be alright. The only time to worry about him is when we face an offense as good as our own when the other team has no weakness we can exploit (see Chicago in the 2009-10 Finals) or we are slumping due to injury (see the first half of the Boston series when Gagne and Carter were both out and our depth could not carry us against a team built in much the same way we are).
I agree here. If Homer had spent the money to get Turco or someone similar we could be a dominant force. Even if Turco wasn't great, THEN use Leighton.

Leighton is average and I have a feeling we'll see it shine through many times throughout the season and probably in the playoffs.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I agree.

But see, you're thinking too rationally for HF.

Anyway, I hope your last point is right. I can still see people on HF pointing the finger at Leighton even if the goals are a direct result of ****** defense/defense not working/defense not communicating.
Wait a second... it wont be just Leighton's/Boosh's fault!?

BLASPHEMY! OFF WITH IS HEAD!

I already prepared myself for when Leighton lets in 1 goal his first game, the screams of bloody murder that follow it. Obviously Im not happy with the goalie situation, but Ive just come to accept it sadly.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wait a second... it wont be just Leighton's/Boosh's fault!?

BLASPHEMY! OFF WITH IS HEAD!

I already prepared myself for when Leighton lets in 1 goal his first game, the screams of bloody murder that follow it. Obviously Im not happy with the goalie situation, but Ive just come to accept it sadly.
Same, but I'm going to defend the hell out of Leighton if it isn't clearly his fault. But as this thread is making a good point, we have a damn near perfect slab of concrete with a crack in the corner. The team around him should hopefully be able to support Leighton to where the team succeeds, potentially an awful lot. If he lines up with shooter, has a clear view, and misses it, I'm letting him have it. If it's a 2 on 1 or he has 4 bodies in front of him and barely reacts, I'm letting him slide...although I'm willing to bet a good chunk of people on here won't.

Old
09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Same, but I'm going to defend the hell out of Leighton if it isn't clearly his fault. But as this thread is making a good point, we have a damn near perfect slab of concrete with a crack in the corner. The team around him should hopefully be able to support Leighton to where the team succeeds, potentially an awful lot. If he lines up with shooter, has a clear view, and misses it, I'm letting him have it. If it's a 2 on 1 or he has 4 bodies in front of him and barely reacts, I'm letting him slide...although I'm willing to bet a good chunk of people on here won't.
That's a safe bet. This is the town that scapegoated Hextall/Snow for losing the 1997 Cup Final with just 1.5 goals per game in support and Cechmanek for losing the first round in 2002 with a mere 0.4 goals per game in support.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:14 AM
IrishSniper87

I'd put Washington's top 9 ahead of ours. Pittsburgh is too top heavy, but with Crosby and Malkin you dont need wings, lol.

As far as D goes, ours is awesome.

Goalies, ours are awful.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Our goaltending is 30.
Come on, what about the Oilers? Is Khabibulin going to be playing this season? Same thing with the Isles if DiPietro is out. If those guys are in, then I guess we are 30. But if Khabibulin and DiPietro are out, I'd put us at 28.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Come on, what about the Oilers? Is Khabibulin going to be playing this season? Same thing with the Isles if DiPietro is out. If those guys are in, then I guess we are 30. But if Khabibulin and DiPietro are out, I'd put us at 28.
Roloson>Leighton

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote